Talking Best Dates and Plan in April to avoid crowd in TDR

Hi everyone! Have been planning our TDR trip for next year 2011...please help me on when will most of the Japanese be back to school (grade school, high, college) on April so I can specifically plan when to be at TDR...

1. As of now, I plan to go on April 13 Wed and April 14 Thur, will most kids be in school by then?

2. Is Wed and Thur less crowd days or is it better to go on a Mon (April 11) and Tues (April 12), or since kids are in school, it doesn't matter what weekday as long as it's not a weekend?

3. If it's not that crowded, should we still go there 1 hr before opening?

4. If we purchase advance e-tickets online to be claimed at the park, will there also be a long line claiming e-tickets?

5. Can we buy advance tickets in the disney store in Shibuya anytime, even the day before?

6. And what rides do you suggest we take for both TDL and TDS which ARE NOT COASTER rides since my kids aren't into those, they just like those theme rides like Pooh etc.

7. Are the Journey ride and 20k ride, coaster rides? How about the tower ride? So I know that I won't need to fall in line for these...

8. What rides in TDL and TDS have the fastpass options?

Hope you can help me out with these...Thank you so much in advance

Re: Best Dates and Plan in April to avoid crowd in TDR

Quote Originally Posted by oliviaever View Post

1. As of now, I plan to go on April 13 Wed and April 14 Thur, will most kids be in school by then?

2. Is Wed and Thur less crowd days or is it better to go on a Mon (April 11) and Tues (April 12), or since kids are in school, it doesn't matter what weekday as long as it's not a weekend?
    1. The spring break for most public schools are the last 2 weeks of March (3/19 ~ 4/2). So, yes, most kids are back to school.

2. I believe the slowest days of the week is Tues ~ Thurs. I hear Mondays are busier than other weekdays.

• Not here to help

There will be lines to the ticket booths. Arrive atleast 30-40 minuts before the parks open. Disney in Tokyo is almost always crowded.

DisneySEA:
    The Sinbad ride is a great family ride. Journey to the center of the earth has a drop at the end that is a bit like a splash mountain but with no water... only better. It is the best ride ever done by Disney and should not be missed.
    There are two coasters in DisneySEA. Both are very child friendly even if one is pretending to be a thrill ride and that is Raging Spirits. The other one is Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster.

Disneyland:
    The best ride in the park is Pooh. It´s nothing like the aweful HKDL and WDW versions.
    Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain and Gadget´s Go Coaster are the coasters of Disneyland in Tokyo. They are all family friendly rides.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

You are going to have a grand time. Tokyo Disneyland is ALWAYS busy. So just prepare yourself for that. Even on school days, the kids come by the bus loads-not sure why, but could they be field trips? Seriously. Just plan on going early 45-1hour before opening, and doing as much as you can, while still taking time to enjoy the surroundings. If you're into the Parks early you can ride a good amount of rides before lunch and really feel like you got to see a lot. I think you'll have a blast.

You must play the FP game. So think ahead what you're going to do.

Journey is not a hardcore rollercoast. See if you can find some youtube video of it. there's a thrill, but it's not like Space Mtn. 20k is a souped up dark ride in my opinion. TOT of course has a drop, so that may be too thrilling for them.

You won't be able to do it all, but you should at least be able to leave with the satisfaction that you saw and enjoyed the Parks. Make sure you leave some time to shop--the merchandise there is unlike any other Park.

And perhaps they'll be celebrating Easter Wonderland again next year--that would be fun to see.

• Resident of the Caldera

My daughter's spring break begins April 16, so we're taking her out of school one day early and going to Japan from April 15 to the 25th. The Japanese kids are back in school already, and Golden Week doesn't start until the beginning of May. So April has become a great month to go. I was there last year during April and it had the shortest lines I've ever encountered there. But it can be chilly, just so you know. Temps in the 50s.

Any weekday is good as long as it's not a holiday--just avoid the weekends.

voleball-yeay! so happy to hear that! considering my first plan was to go on the last 2 wks of March which, I just found out recently, ran smacked into the schoolspringbreak...April's just right

timmy3, guynyc-thanks so much for all the insight into the rides, will keep everything in mind so we can make the most out of our 2days in TDR

fukai-gave me scare right there, thought your daughter studies in Japan and has a springbreak on April 15 -hahaha- so you're coming from somewhere else then, who knows, we might unknowingly run into each other somewhere in tokyo, osaka, kyoto?---I guess we have the perfect schedule...off-topic, regarding the temp, what do you suggest we wear? are open sandals/crocs a no-no then? more of sneakers with socks? we also plan to go up Gala yuzawa, hopefully there will still some snow for play by mid-April...

April Weather is a hit or miss. April tends to have showers often and can get cold. If sunny, it could be somewhere around 60 ~ 65. But, Japanese locals hate getting wet, so the park should be much less crowded when it rains. I was there on 4/24 (Thu), 2008 w/ occational light showers, and TDL was empty! It was only like 5 minute wait for the Pooh! Because everything else was walk on, that 5 minutes made me feel like a long time. LOL. Anyway, hope you have a great trip. I'm also planning to visit TDR before or after Golden week next year.

Quote Originally Posted by GUYNYC View Post
    ... Even on school days, the kids come by the bus loads-not sure why, but could they be field trips?
    Yes, Japanese schools have field trips to TDR quite often. Schools usually visit culturely rich places like Kyoto, Nara or some other places for a few days to learn things you can't learn on the book. Some does Ski trips (like my high school back in days), some goes to Korea or China, and some goes to TDL for a day addition to other places. Spring is one of the popular school trip seasons.

• Resident of the Caldera

You don't see a lot of people wearing sandals and crocs in Tokyo: you frequently have to remove your shoes and walking barefoot isn't the thing to do unless you're homeless or a little kid in summer. Also, not a lot of people are wearing shorts except when it's broiling. In the spring you should expect to wear jeans or slacks, and socks with shoes or sneakers. Try to avoid laces! Wear slip-ons. Bring sweaters and light jackets or sweatshirts.

Thanks so much, friends! For all your tips! Am getting so excited already, and it's still more than 6 months away!