Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Felice Natale!

Re: TDS 10th Anniversary "Be Magical!" Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Big Band Beat was only ever going to be tempory and The Snow Queen Musical by Alan Menken was to replace the show after about 9 months.
    I like Big Band Beat. A lot, actually, but I'd really love to see a truly narrative show in that theater. And for me, no matter how good the performers, the same song list for showtunes does get old after 20 or so times.

Perhaps all the big stuff is being saved for the various phases though out the year.
    I'm really hoping for this. I just can't imagine they've shown their whole hand in that press release.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I like Big Band Beat. A lot, actually, but I'd really love to see a truly narrative show in that theater. And for me, no matter how good the performers, the same song list for showtunes does get old after 20 or so times.
    This is part of the reason why I'm a little disapointed with the 10th line up. I love BBB and in a way was happy to see it given an extended run. But for a show now approuching its 5th Anniversary it would of been nice to see it finally replaced and something a little bit different. One thing Disney does right is broadway style shows. And with the OLC calling the budget we could really see something unique and special come to the Broadway Theatre.

• Resident of the Caldera

OLC cheaped out on The Snow Queen and are willing to save a big chunk of change by letting Big Band Beat play for another five years in that theater. It's a good show when the humans are genuinely singing, otherwise meh.

• Banned User

I hope the forum won't mind me posting this up here. But a rival site has issued a full Press Release in English detailing the 10th Anniversary. Warning this will include a lot of of suprises. Including the first public image of the Characters in 10th Anniversary costumes, and what sort of merchandise we can expect to find at the park. Tokyo DisneySea 10th Anniversary '"Be Magical!' Starting April 23

• Loves Mickey!

Oh man... Mickey's costume looks super cool, Minnie's costume looks good too but Halloween, the others look like they are in some kind of cult lol. It will probably look much better in person though, I think..

2 showings of Fantasmic! definitely sounds interesting but I wonder if most people will just stay and watch the show twice...

The wand they will sell sounds like fun and we will definitely buy it! Duffy 10th anniversary costumes of course were expected. Samatha Thavasa collaboration has been done but I would like to see what the 10th anniversary goods look like for D24.

The hats.. I so have flashbacks of that damn hat at MGM studios lol but I know these hats will only be there a year and then gone so it's cool!

Definitely looking forward to the dining and special menus and the 10th anniversary greeting!

Table is waiting sounds exactly the same except for Mickey and Minnie's costumes which is really disappointing.

It looks there won't be a spring event then? Excited for Halloween and Christmas for sure!
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

• Munchings & Crunchings

"Regular items such as Mickey Mouse plush toys and Duffy’s costumes will be offered in a 10th anniversary edition"

I noticed this right away, LOL! I hope it's not too intense like one a month, because that will get expensive, but I knew they would do something like this.

• Banned User

The hats.. I so have flashbacks of that damn hat at MGM studios lol but I know these hats will only be there a year and then gone so it's cool!
    I have to admit thats what pop up in my head as I was reading it. Usually the Tokyo parks are a bit more respectful to the surroundings of the park when it comes to decorations. So it will be interesting to see what there come up with thats not going to resemble DHS Magic Hat.

Overall after reading that Press Release I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about the 10th Anniversary now. I think the Character costumes look amazing and I look forward to seeing what new merchandise comes out to match the costumes. The bonus of having all of the merchandise, new shows, food, decorations and on top of that one of the new Seasonal Events. It does seem like a fairly solid line up. Although I would be wise about picking when to visit. For me a tempory Character Meet & Smile show is not enough to warrent a visit in April or May. Thats why I'm holding out for Halloween this year which promises to be brand new. The way the Anniversary is being hosted it certainly seems like the Resort is wishing to attract repeat visitors this year, instead of new ones. I certainly hope it pays off. If not atleast Duffy will be on hand to push merchandise sales.

• Felice Natale!

...Overall after reading that Press Release I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about the 10th Anniversary now. I think the Character costumes look amazing and I look forward to seeing what new merchandise comes out to match the costumes...
    Ironically, I actually had the exact opposite reaction. I'm not crazy about the costumes, and I realize now that the 10th Anniversary is basically gonna be the "Year of the Hat" and that seems destined to get old fast for me. Here's hoping I'm pleasantly surprised. I'll happily eat those words with cake!^^

It also seems, now, that everything about the 10th Anniversary is hanging on Fantasmic!, rather than celebrating the park's history or really being about magic in any special way. I don't like this. I was hoping that "Be Magical!" would explore the magic of all the different Ports and of Disney itself, but it seems instead we're just gonna get hat statues everywhere that we can wave plastic wands at. This sounds like the Christmas trees from 2010 to me, and I found them supremely disappointing overall. This was especially sad since I totally loved the concept; the execution was just too small and too cheap. Every one of the trees needed to be on the scale of the huge tree near the Columbia in order for the idea to really work for me. I just wasn't sold. A lot of folks seemed to have a similar reaction at the time, though, so hopefully the scale of these hats will be ramped up for the 10th. Although the PR admission of the Port Discovery tree as "small to match the size of Chip 'N Dale" is a bit worrisome...

To be honest, I can't wait to use the wand, though (as long as the design is actually charming).

Still, the 25th "Unlock Your Dreams" theme and central merchandise item (the Dream Key) were beautifully integrated. The Dream Key was not just fantastic merchandise - it changed with the seasons and phases, and it was prominently featured in the shows and storytelling of both parks in really powerful ways.

I don't see how they could practically offer quality fan caps that are as highly customizable as the Dream Keys were... Although I just realized that if they do I will LOVE this concept from the bottom of my Disney merch heart (yes i have developed one heart just for this^^)! If I can choose my own base color and then select my own applique accents and accessories and add my name to personalize a hat I wear all year, that will become a treasured item for sure! Now that I'm thinking about it, I hope the wands are customizable, too - at least with a place to hang a strap. Oh no...that's the one thing I needed in order to get excited about the 10th - the very customizable Sorcerer's Hat fan cap. If they do that, I'm in. And if they don't, now I'll be horribly disappointed. I don't just want some keychain shaped like a hat or something. I want a real fabric hat I can wear on my head with real details that are individually mine, but totally official; not some fan-made project. That seems hard enough to pull off that I actually think it would "be magical." Oh! I hope, I hope!

• The Darkness to Light

Clearly I need to reread this entire thread again, because DuffyDaisuki talking about a "Hat" and "Wand" made me think of DHS and Epcot, respectfully.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Banned User

It also seems, now, that everything about the 10th Anniversary is hanging on Fantasmic!, rather than celebrating the park's history or really being about magic in any special way. I don't like this. I was hoping that "Be Magical!" would explore the magic of all the different Ports and of Disney itself, but it seems instead we're just gonna get hat statues everywhere that we can wave plastic wands at.
    I don't have a problem with them not celebrating the park's history. For this Disney Fan, I don't feel the park is old enough or really that well connected to the Fan's to go in this direction. Unlike what was the case with TDL's 25th Anniversary. I see this Anniversary not so much as a celebration of the past, but more about where this park is heading in the future. TDS has in my view a long way to go before it develops that same nostalgia feeling people get when visiting TDL. A bunch of hats may not be to everyone's liking but I feel its a better direction to go with and should lead to people in another 10-15 years during the 25th Anniversary of DisneySea recalling how incredible and fun the year long 10th Anniversary event actually was to visit. The 10th for me is about creating an emotional attachment to something that has yet to be embaced quite in the same way that the older TDL park is next door.

• Felice Natale!

Thumbs up Re: TDS 10th Anniversary "Be Magical!" Calendar

For this Disney Fan, I don't feel the park is old enough or really that well connected to the Fan's to go in this direction...TDS has in my view a long way to go before it develops that same nostalgia feeling people get when visiting TDL.
    I completely disagree. You may not personally feel that "well connected" to TDS, but I know a LOT of people who prefer it to "the other park," respectfully.^^ I TDS and I feel that ten years is a significant milestone to start really feeling the first twinges of "history."

For me, TDS celebrates WDI in a way that TDL doesn't even come close to. TDL is about the characters, the movies, the brand... TDS is about design, experience, imagination... I love both of them, but my :heart: beats for DisneySEA!^^ (and not just because of Duffy!)

I had a good time the first time I went to TDL, but I fell in love with Tokyo DisneySEA.

I see this Anniversary not so much as a celebration of the past, but more about where this park is heading in the future... A bunch of hats may not be to everyone's liking but I feel...The 10th for me is about creating an emotional attachment to something that has yet to be embaced quite in the same way that the older TDL park is next door.
    Again, there are MANY Disney fans in Japan with very deep, very real emotional attachment to TDS that completely eclipses TDL. Just cos that doesn't include you doesn't make it untrue. Though it's probably still not "most" by a longshot. I like your idea about the 10th as celebrating the future of TDS, though. That's fun! And if anybody can design products that will make me excited about a year-long celebration of conical sorcerer hats, it is the design wizards working in TDR merchandising, especially at DisneySEA. Thanks, Malin - you woke up my excitement!

TDR started to advertise the 10th Anniversary on Brochures .

Nice Merch !

images from Disneyest Place
    HKDL : Done !!!

• Felice Natale!

Talking Re: TDS 10th Anniversary "Be Magical!" Calendar

WOW!!! Thank you, bopazot! I just fell in love with the "Be Magical" theme! Those wands are exactly what I needed! With the illustrations and merch, it really almost has a "more-Disney-less-Square" Kingdom Hearts vibe to me now, which is what I loved so much about the TDR 25th Dream Key. Only the Dream Key didn't actually do anything, while the wands will be able to perform "magic" and earn medallions - color me sold!^^

Plus - OMGosh!!! - DUFFY BEAT OUT DAISY AND PLUTO!!! WOOOOOW!!!

Aaand... Check out this video, where the little girl requests Duffy by name, along with all the other greatness of TDR! Not only am I now super excited about the theme; Duffy has totally arrived!!!

LINK to official Vacation Packages site.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 02-21-2011 at 08:44 AM.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I want it all!!

The vacation package commercial has Duffy in a special costume as well!!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Nutty about Disney parks

"Be Magical" seems like a very unusual anniversary theme for a DisneySea park. It should be interesting to see how it's all implemented though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast