Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Re: 2010 Christmas Merchandise Preview!!!

Duffy Christmas 2010 - Costumes, etc...

I hoped perhaps DisneyFAN was leaving out some details. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that Duffy's costume includes neither pants nor shoes for ¥3300! And with $hellie Ma¥, you get only a bow and a cape for a whopping ¥2500! If you want a dress or even a skirt, you have to buy the Christmas doll set, too (assuming it is what I think it is) - an additional cost of probably around ¥4300. If you, like me, have waited to buy Shellie May, this is perhaps acceptable, but I suspect some collectors who already have the bear will consider Build-A-Bear this year. If you want shoes for either, you have to go to Build-A-Bear anyway, or have them from last spring's Hello From Cape Cod outfit. I guess a lot of people don't want shoes, cos they like the footprint. But that's why I wish they'd make more of those "signature" shoes with the Duffy mark, like last year's Halloween and Slumber sets.

Compared to last year's offerings, it feels like the time when OLC had to impress us with value in order to sell Duffy is over. With Duffy's costume set, I just think it's unnecessarily overpriced...but Shellie's ribbon has virtually no detail and the cape barely covers her shoulders - it's hardly 2/3 of the typical costume releases from last year. It still looks to be very high quality material and the cape is beautifully lined and appliqued. There is no question whether these are worth the money compared with market competitors like Build-A-Bear. In Japan, BAB is about the same price as Duffy goods - ie double US prices - but with no change in quality. It's an absolute ripoff. Nothing like that is happening with these Christmas costumes, but it's still not the same value we came to expect from OLC last year. What I liked about Duffy was that even though the cost was high, the quality difference was substantially greater than the price difference. That's less true with these two, especially $hellie's.

I'm hopeful there will be some very special Duffy sets next year for the 10th Anniversary. I'd like to see a budget-priced re-release PLUS a whiz-bang new accessorized design every month. Expensive for new collectors, but fun - and cheaper than auction sites.^^ Whatever happens, every month I lean more and more toward agreeing that Duffy is becoming a cardboard cash cow, like his Disney Bear predecessor. Maybe it was only my own imagination that ever allowed him to be more than that, but even if that's true, that would be a fantastic thing if it was sustainable - a character that inspires adult imagination rather than simple passive entertainment is a feat, I think. This decline in value, the over-pushing of merchandise and the new helpless toddler image make it harder and harder to enjoy being a serious collector or fan of this character, though, which is really a shame.

I'll still buy both of these Christmas outfits, plus the smiling Christmas Shellie May if it's available - though now I'm nervous what these are gonna cost... But there are nargles in my mistletoe this year.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Thanks for posting that page, I did not see it earlier today?? I think the costume is super cute, but why has the past two "holiday" (halloween/xmas) outfits been so expensive when the Spring and Summer costumes had so many more things to them.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Munchings & Crunchings

Actually, I'm not surprised by the prices of these two costumes. Granted, they are a little high. However, looking at Duffy's especially, the detail work is phenomenal compared to competitors. You can tell somebody had a lot of fun designing a coat, hat & scarf. The appliquéd work, embroidery, and little leather "patches" on his elbows just add charm. No, there aren't any pants, but then, I kind of like that it's more simple. Really, I like seeing Duffy's feet. I don't miss the shoes. To be honest, I haven't really liked any of the official Duffy shoes anyway. They aren't sturdy like real shoes, and they hide the Mickey design on his feet. I agree with you, Duffydad, that something like the cat paws & bunny slippers with that design on them would be best for a pair of shoes.

As for comparing last years Christmas offerings to this year, I really don't see that much difference in quality. I mean, I don't see less quality here. In fact, compared to last year, there's more. There were two costumes available last year, the knit sweater combo with "snow Mickey" on it, and then the "smiling" Duffy plush with his Candlelight Reflections costume sewn on. So, if they do, in fact, release the "smiling" versions this year, it will be comparable.

I'm glad they at least have a price difference between Duffy and Shellie's costumes though, since she has less in hers. I do wish they were cheaper, but I have no control over that either, and I'm happy with the way they look, and I'm sure I'll be happy with the quality. I would NOT be happy paying the same price for a Build-a-Bear costume though. I still feel that Disney is offering something better than that, so until they cheap out on the materials and construction, I'm ok with what they released this year.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Travis, I think the price difference between the spring/summer costumes and the holiday ones, is the quality. The fabric is heavier, and there is more "weight" to both the pumpkin & Christmas costumes. Granted, I haven't felt the Christmas ones myself, but by the pictures they look heavier. The spring ones had basically a hat & bottoms, but they were thinner material, which makes sense for the season. Especially that summer costume that you like, with the little vest & boater hat. The pants are very, very thin. The vest is nice, with metal buttons, but also very simple. So, I'm sure it's just a matter of OLC thinking that they can (and did) charge more for the more substantial holiday costumes. That's just my opinion though...it's the only reason I can qualify the increase in price...

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Sad Re: 2010 Christmas Merchandise Preview!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...As for comparing last years Christmas offerings to this year, I really don't see that much difference in quality. I mean, I don't see less quality here. In fact, compared to last year, there's more. There were two costumes available last year, the knit sweater combo with "snow Mickey" on it, and then the "smiling" Duffy plush with his Candlelight Reflections costume sewn on. So, if they do, in fact, release the "smiling" versions this year, it will be comparable...
    I disagree. There are slightly more details in Duffy's "knit set" this year, but only slightly, and last year's came with pants and boots. The Candlelight Reflections bear + outfit set included the once-a-year limited smiling version bear, jacket, hat, pants and boots for ¥4800. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way; maybe they're trying to make the early adopters feel like we got a steal!

What they're selling separately this year may be sturdier, but it's half as much quantity, and the should-be-with-smiling-bear Duffy costume is not as detailed or visually interesting as Candlelight Reflections - at least not to me (though I imagine it is lined and made with heavier weight material). I'm sure if I'll buy Shellie May's this year, even without the bear. Build-A-Bear probably offers something very similar for considerably less than ¥3800, even in Japan. But again, it definitely won't be as high quality. This is only because I fell in love with Shellie May as I was writing. I don't think it would lead me to the same decision with similar pricing next year. But next year is the 10th Anniversary, so I'll probably just find some other justification...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

OMG Pablo Penguin! WANT!!!!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Question Re: 2010 Christmas Merchandise Preview!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    OMG Pablo Penguin! WANT!!!!
    I know! Do they really not do as much of the old/obscure character reference merchandising in the US? While I know Japanese Disney fans are more inclined to buy merchandise solely because it's cute, it seems that in the US there would be a deeper appreciation of this.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

We get practically NO obscure character merchandise in the States. We are so deprived. I always end up having to pay out the nose for the good stuff from Japan.

Who remembers the monochrome Mickey, Minnie & Donald plushes TDL had in the mid-late 90's? I amazingly managed to get my hands on those along with the little plushie pins of monochrome Mickey & Minnie and 2 different Jester Mickeys from TDL's 15th anniversary.

• Loves Mickey!

Thanks for starting this thread DuffyDad! The knitwear for Duffy is nice and so is May-chan's matching outfit but I absolutely can not stand the other two outfits! I feel like they have introduced a new design team or told the old team to make the design simpler and not so cute. The last outfits that I really really loved for Duffy and May-chan together was the one from last Valentine's day and the spring outfits with the hats were also cute but the designs in general are not so nice right now. It's gotten so bad that I'm thinking of going to Nippori and buy fabric to make my own outfits at this point.

From the new Christmas merch I really love the little light up snowman with all the flashing snowflakes in it! A lot of stuff is not so different from the past two years but the gingerbread stuff this year is cute especially the mittens and the Minnie hat with the matching colors too! The Christmas balloons are very nice too!

DuffyDad did you check out the Disney Unibearsity thing at the Disney Store? I went last night and they had the bears out as decoration but not for sale yet. They look ok but I'm not really feeling it although I'm sure it will sell well. What do you think?
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

• Munchings & Crunchings

I understand what you're saying, Duffydad, about the quality. You are right, that last year's costume offerings had more pieces to them. Plus, the smiling plush. I guess for me, I really really like the red wool coat set this year, even without pants & shoes. The other costumes...are ok, but not as nice as the Candlelight Reflections suit from last year. I guess for me, I don't see it as a huge drop from last year though, it seems fairly even, despite a lack of certain things.

Oh, and...Ichigopara, I wonder if you're right about a new design team. I just visited the HKDL Christmas site...and guess what? Duffy's introduction over there has him dressed in that exact same costume!

Hong Kong Disneyland | A Sparkling Christmas

I wonder if OLC is helping HKDL with the designs...or the other way around now? It's weird though...

Wow!! Pablo the Penguin?! Now THAT'S cool!!
    This magazine is amazing. Love looking at all the new merch. Why don't the US parks do this???
    Thank you for posting this!!!!

May you be surrounded by your pals this holiday season!

Has anyone seen the Duffy wreath? How big is it? Is it hang on the door sized or hang on the tree sized? Thanks!!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I would love to know the same thing!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

I just hope there will be *ANY* merchandise left by the time I get there on Nov 30th.

Quote Originally Posted by HebeJebe View Post
    Has anyone seen the Duffy wreath? How big is it? Is it hang on the door sized or hang on the tree sized? Thanks!!

it's listed at 18cm or about 7" retails for 2,800Y

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast