Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why no 'Copies' of Pooh's Hunny Hunt?

PHH is a supremely fun ride. It reinvents the dark ride. And it appears to be enormously successful. So why doesn't Disney copy this ride - at least the technology- at other parks?

The new Fantasyland expansion in WDW will get yet another track ride. With all the effort they are putting into it, you'd think they would try it! What do you think? Any insight into this?

• The Study of Wumbo

Re: Why no 'Copies' of Pooh's Hunny Hunt?

Here's why: Money.

Tokyo has it because Disney didn't have to pay for it, Oriental Land Company bought it. All the other parks, Disney would have to pay for it themselves, and the current Disney Company really isn't interested in spending that kind of money for an attraction.

Maybe in the future, (actually, probably in the future,) we'll have another surge of enthusiasm for the theme parks like in the early 90's and Disney will pour all sorts of money in. But, as you can read on this site, now's not really the time, for them.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

Thanks for your reply, wumbology.

So you are saying that the attraction is much more expensive than similar attractions? It seems to me that Disney is alway developing something new and expensive (American Idol, Fantasyland Expansion, World of Color, etc), so it is not just a question of spending money ...but how much this one attraction would cost?

When was PHH created?

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

PHH opened September 4, 2000 after Tokyo Disneyland's Skyway closed. It took $130 million to build. I believe it would cost that much today to make more, even though I want a copy of it in Disneyland. I hate the one we in the West US have.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Banned User

The answer to your headline is.. MONEY, Hunny, Money.

Quote Originally Posted by [
    So you are saying that the attraction is much more expensive than similar attractions?
    yes, that is correct. Remember.. Hunny Hunt is an E TICKET. Not your little C-ticket experience.
    It seems to me that Disney is alway developing something new and expensive (American Idol, Fantasyland Expansion, World of Color, etc), so it is not just a question of spending money ...but how much this one attraction would cost?
    Ok.. the current cost of living may have made World of Color expensive.. but it is not a ground breaking show.. we have all seen water mist screens, projections, lasers and such inside and outside the Disney parks. The MK Fantasyland expansion is costing a lot because Disney realizes Universal is cloberring their quality with recent additions like the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, otherwise, nothing new would be happening in the MK Fantasyland.. so that spenditure is out of bruised egos' necesity. And American Idol? How much did that cost, really? The building was there empty and all they had to do was build a new set and refurbish a bit..
    Remember Hunny Hunt was built from scratch. They had to remove the entire Small World Buffeteria building to build it.. so the expense of building it began before actual construction.

As you also know.. the same Hunny Hunt technology is used at DisneySea's Aquatopia.

But there is hope... As far as I know.. the trackless technology is coming to HKDL's Mystic Point Manor and also to the proposed Rattatouille ride for WDSP. So maybe the technology is now cheap enough for Walt Disney Co to spend on it.. but as far as I know.. it will not be a part of anything they are doing in their "self proclaimed" jewel park.. the dated MK.

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    Thanks for your reply, wumbology.

So you are saying that the attraction is much more expensive than similar attractions? It seems to me that Disney is alway developing something new and expensive (American Idol, Fantasyland Expansion, World of Color, etc), so it is not just a question of spending money ...but how much this one attraction would cost?
    Oh, yes. Unfortunately the DisneyParks of recent times are very concerned with how they will profit from the parks. American Idol is just a show- it's cheap, doesn't take a lot of paid talent, and they probably get money from the company that produces American Idol. The Fantasyland Expansion will capitalize on the Princess trend and that will make a lot of money, even just on little girls and souvenirs. Thankfully, we have a lot of money going in to DCA, but that's only because Disney wants to finally make money on that park. It was too weak when it opened and Disney knows it.

It's kind of sad. But it doesn't mean there isn't hope! WDW's Pooh is getting a brand new queue right now. Maybe Shanghai's Pooh will be even better. We don't know.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Resident of the Caldera

It's not "track-less" technology: it's line-wire. The track is a wire buried in the floor directly beneath the vehicles. They can only move on a pre-programmed pattern directly above the wires embedded in the floor. Just because you can't see the track doesn't mean it's not there.

Oh yes, I realize the ride vehicles are pre-programmed and that they are being guided from something under the floor - actually, I just looked it up on Wikipedia :

"This 'trackless' ride system is achieved not by GPS as widely rumored, but by a custom LPS (local positioning system). The patented system works by directional data being relayed from a master control computer directly to each individual honey pot car through a complicated matrix embedded within the actual floor tiles. Every few seconds, the master computer generates a random path and ‘steers’ the honey pot in real-time, so as the cars roll through the ride the vehicles are, in fact, being told where to go. Because this system is in real-time, they can maneuver accordingly in just fractions of a second. This also allows for spontaneous yet synchronized ‘honey pot choreography’ with groups of honey pots (as many as 8 in a single show scene) appearing to ‘dance’ with the others, often timed with ‘beats’ in the music. Due to limitless variations possible, each journey through the attraction is unique."
    Last edited by shelemm; 11-07-2010 at 07:20 PM.

• Minion FOREVER!

Just a point on this....

Although the actual technology is LPS (localized positioning system) and not GPS, the only major differences are the source of the signal (satellite vs 3 building transimitters) and the signal strength. What the system does is pretty
    much the same.

So yes, the technology has become much cheaper (remember when GPS systems were> $1K? it's now resident on cell phones!)

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

While none of the other Disney parks have gotten the full PHH ride, the ride system is about to be cloned at least twice. Hong Kong's new Mystic Manor will use the technology as may Disney Studios Paris upcoming Ratatouille ride (if they don't cheap out as rumored).

Tokyo actually has two rides using the system, Pooh and the much less exciting Aquatopia at Tokyo DisneySea.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

read post #5 Mr. Sage

• Lost Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    While none of the other Disney parks have gotten the full PHH ride, the ride system is about to be cloned at least twice. Hong Kong's new Mystic Manor will use the technology as may Disney Studios Paris upcoming Ratatouille ride (if they don't cheap out as rumored).

Tokyo actually has two rides using the system, Pooh and the much less exciting Aquatopia at Tokyo DisneySea.
    Actually I have heard the opposite rumors... that Ratatouille is definitely getting the PHH ride system (and based on what has been rumored I'm not sure they could use a normal omnimover system without completely re-designing it) but they are "cheaping out" with Mystic Manor and going with a more traditional ride system.

Of course these are all rumors so who knows. Hopefully they will both get the PHH system and it spreads to the US parks.
    Have a magical day!
    Jon

Visit Disney Character Central for tons of Disney Character and park pictures and information: Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, and Tokyo Disney Resort

i want to know the reason too
    I am traveling now.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    PHH is a supremely fun ride. It reinvents the dark ride. And it appears to be enormously successful. So why doesn't Disney copy this ride - at least the technology- at other parks?

The new Fantasyland expansion in WDW will get yet another track ride. With all the effort they are putting into it, you'd think they would try it! What do you think? Any insight into this?
    Actually, MAoWtP in MK was the first (1999). At the time, it was considered a worthy addition to MK's Fantasyland

PHH opened in 2000 (obviously in development already when Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh opened). It takes the same stories & ideas and took it much, much further w/ a new ride system; basically considered an entirely new ride.

DL's MAoWtP opened in 2003. The TDA was much more cost conscious and not into providing "new experiences." (Am I glad that regime is gone!). The technology was still quite expensive as was the entire cost. Also they were trying to shoe-horn it into a very tight space that was the CBJ (sob, sob...)
    Anyway, they decided to build a shorter version of the MK ride.

In 2005, HKDL opened with a MAoWtP. From all accounts, it's very similar to WDW MK's version. Again, there's evidence that cost was a big criteria for the decision. (As it probably was for the shortage of attractions on opening day.... btw. they didn't skimp on quality like they did at DCA, just quantity).

Anyway, my humble 2 cents worth....

I hope SuperDry comes by to tell us his interesting anecdote concerning PHH.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast