Red Face Should we get there early every day? Help me decide!

My family and I are going to be at TDR on 12.23 and TDS on 12.24. We will be on a tour and staying in the Minato (I think) area of Tokyo. Our tour bus' plan is to drop us off each day at 10am, but TDR opens at 8 am on 12.23 and TDS opens at 9 am. I *really* don't want to get there 2 hours after the park opens, especially since the crowd calendar anticipates these 2 days to have very heavy crowds. So, I was thinking that we could take the subway in one of the days, and then go back with the tour in the evening. But now I'm wondering if we should get there before opening for both!?! That would mean LOTS more hassle and getting up WAAAY earlier, but in my experience with WDW, it was always best to get there an hour before the park opened. I'm torn. I don't want to go all the way down there and not ride any rides because it's too busy, but I don't want my husband and kids to hate me for dragging them through Tokyo when we could take a nice cushy bus ride direct from our hotel to the park!

Any advice? Here's the crowd calendar I looked at. ƒfƒBƒYƒj[ƒ‰ƒ“ƒh ƒfƒBƒYƒj[ƒV[ ŽG—\‘zƒJƒŒƒ“ƒ_[
    Looks B-U-S-Y!!! Also, I should add that this will be our first trip to Tokyo Disney, but not our last, as we live in Japan and LOVE Disney. We're a 9 hour drive, so it's not close, but still on Honshuu.

Thanks!

• Not here to help

Re: Should we get there early every day? Help me decide!

It is very simple... get there as soon as you can and stay as late as possible!

A nice and cushy bus ride could end with a day without any fastpasses and standing in long lines for everything.
    If you enter when it opens you will be able to get fastpasses for Monsters Inc or Pooh.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 12-01-2010 at 04:57 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• You have much to learn...

I'm sorry to say, that since this is the first time at TDR and want to get as much done as possible- You probably should get there as early as possible each day. Though I've never been there on those days, the parks, I can assure you, will most likely be insane with crowds.

TDL may be more busy than TDS- but not by too much.

Some advice- Even though they shouldn't be missed, I wouldn't suggest camping out like most do for the parades- People sit there for hours to be in the front row & unless you absolutley have to see it from the very front- I would suggest waiting closer to the parade start time. The whole front section along the parade route is basically required seating area- so just about everyone can see just fine. Roughly 15-20 feet back is the standing area- once this is filled, you may have to be watching between heads. I would suggest getting fastpasses & riding as much as possible during the first parade & watch the next one at TDL. The Christmas parade should be done twice & if you want to see Jubilation- it is usually just once- so you may want to wait for that one.

For Monsters Inc in TDL- most say hop on line for a fastpass- but if you're one of the earlier people in the gates & if the wait is less than an hour- just ride it, since it may never get that short again. The fastpass for Monsters Inc may run out in less than an hour anyway and the fastpass line can be longer than the attraction line. Pooh is the next popular attraction & fastpasses may be gone well before noon.

For TDS, many line up early in the morning for the lottery to win tickets for the Christmas Wishes show- it is a random lottery- so there's no guarantee in winning tickets no matter when you arrive. The more popular attractions at TDS are Journey to Center of the Earth, Indiana Jones & Tower of Terror- so plan what you really want to see early on. Mythica is the afternoon show around the lagoon & should be seen- people do wait more than an hour to see this one without an obstructed view.

Big Band Beat Christmas is very popular & most likely will have to que up for the next show when the show before is letting in- You may have to wait a while for this one.

The My Friend Duffy show line in Cape Cod may be an hour or more wait- you wait in line, pick up lunch once you enter- then you will be led into the show which repeats itself in 2 segments like every 15-20 minutes.

TDS usually clears out in the evenings after the fireworks- so you may be lucky to have about an hour to finish off the park or do repeat things- but I don't know what time your bus will leave- so you have to allow for that as well.

Whatever you do- just have fun & try to take in as much as possible- You really don't have to ride each and every single ride to have a great time. But I would suggest seeing as many shows and parades as possible.

• Felice Natale!

Thumbs up Re: Should we get there early every day? Help me decide!

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    ...The My Friend Duffy show line in Cape Cod may be an hour or more wait- you wait in line, pick up lunch once you enter- then you will be led into the show which repeats itself in 2 segments like every 15-20 minutes...

Whatever you do- just have fun & try to take in as much as possible- You really don't have to ride each and every single ride to have a great time. But I would suggest seeing as many shows and parades as possible.
    He really is a Jedimaster - so helpful!^^ I agree that showmanship is where it's at in the Tokyo parks, not that I have anything to compare them to. At TDS, Sindbad's Storybook Voyage should not be missed, nor should the soft-serve coconut ice cream directly across it at Sultan's Oasis, unless you hate coconut. It's so good! I'm fantasizing now...

As for that silly Duffy show, I don't think it's worth seeing anyway, as it ruins the character. But if you do really wanna see it, wait til night-time. When I went in October, the line was wrapped around the building and up the stairs to the bridge all day, but at night there was no wait whatsoever.

• You have much to learn...

I think the Duffy show was only playing till 5pm the week I was there & till 7pm on weekends- so I would check it out first when you get there.

• Just another Disney fan..

If you do decide to go early on your own, make sure you go early enough to gain the benefit from doing so. What I mean is, don't go through all the additional measures to get there on your own, just to show up a few minutes before the gates open.

If you show up within one hour of opening, you will be FAR FAR back in the line. By the time you get through the gates you will be behind enough people that you will really have to run/"dash" to get the FP for the attractions you want and most likley will still be stuck in a 30+ minute line just to get the FP.

On my last visit, I arrived right at TDL opening (I really wasn't in any rush), and it took me over 20 minutes just to clear the gates. When you are visiting, it will be even more crowded than it was for the weekday I was there.

As many have advised in the past, IF you decide to go before park opening, get in line at least 1.5 hours before the gates open. If you are only going to show up one hour or less before opening, you might just want to take the bus instead.

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    I think the Duffy show was only playing till 5pm the week I was there & till 7pm on weekends- so I would check it out first when you get there.
    He's right. But unless you REALLY love Duffy as a helpless stupid baby and you either speak Japanese or enjoy Teletubbies songs in a language you do not understand, I would not wait for this if there is any kind of line. The food in Cape Cod Cook-Off isn't the best and this show is really lame. If you want characters with your meal, go to Horizon Bay in Port Discovery. I've never eaten there, but I hear they have character greetings. If you're at Cape Cod Cook-Off and you have a craving for a burger and fries and there's no line, sure, go for it. But the Duffy show is not worth waiting in a line over 20 minutes, much less the hours it can take in the daytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    If you do decide to go early on your own, make sure you go early enough to gain the benefit from doing so. What I mean is, don't go through all the additional measures to get there on your own, just to show up a few minutes before the gates open.

If you show up within one hour of opening, you will be FAR FAR back in the line...

As many have advised in the past, IF you decide to go before park opening, get in line at least 1.5 hours before the gates open. If you are only going to show up one hour or less before opening, you might just want to take the bus instead.
    THIS is the BEST answer. Read it again and trust it completely. I'd still advise you to go early, but Roger is absolutely right - if you're not there at least 90 minutes early, you're already too late and you should choose to enjoy your leisurely pace rather than your victory with FastPasses and lottery line-up. Think of it as a trade-off.

By the way, since you're with a group, you should try to have a "runner" for the lottery line. Someone who can take everyone's tickets as soon as they pass through the gate and then run for the line for Christmas Wishes. (Yeah, I'm only thinking about DisneySEA^^) For the lottery, if you don't do this early and as soon as you arrive, you are likely to be in a MUCH longer line at any time for the rest of the day. I say go 2 hours early - you're with your family. You can have breakfast there (either bringing McDonald's or something with you or buying food at one of the two cafes or the convenience store next to Maihama Station) and look around at a place you've never been and look at maps and plan your day. Make it "get psyched" time and it can be fun, although it will be cold. Keep in mind that it takes about 10 minutes to get to Disneyland and 20 minutes to get to DisneySEA from the time you arrive at the station. Be early. It's good advice. You may be groggy in the morning, but the rest of your day will move far more smoothly; you won't look back and think, "Darn, we didn't get to see Pooh's Hunny Hunt or we had to wait in line for 2.5 hours for it because we didn't get up a little earlier, so we missed other stuff. Guess we'll have to come back to Japan next week."^^

PS - Being all-pro with FP and lottery does mean some planning and active park-crossing for major attraction FPs for the first few hours of the day, but once they run out 12n~2p, the remaining eight hours are stress-less and you still leave the park with that leisurely feeling, only you got everything done you wanted to do.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 12-01-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks, everyone. This information helps soooo much!

Cheers!

K

• Resident of the Caldera

There is only one real choice: be on line 45 minutes before park opening time. Otherwise you're skunked.

What about the time it takes to buy tickets? I assume the line you guys mentioned is to get in the park. Will there be another long line for buying tickets? Where do they sell tickets to non-resort staying guests?

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    What about the time it takes to buy tickets? I assume the line you guys mentioned is to get in the park. Will there be another long line for buying tickets? Where do they sell tickets to non-resort staying guests?
    Ticket booths in front of the entry gates open one hour before park opening if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully someone will correct or confirm, as I couldn't find this.

I did find an English info page about the TDR Ticket Center, which is located just between Ikspiari and the Monorail station.

You can also purchase advance tickets at any Disney Store to ensure that you get a ticket and also so that you don't waste time waiting in two lines. Advance tickets are the way to go. If you don't have advance tickets, going early doesn't really even matter much on busy days.

• Resident of the Caldera

Your party waits in line at the gate while you get in line to buy your tickets. You will be through the ticket line, and be able to rejoin your party in line, before the gates open. Be there 45 minutes early, though. 60 minutes if you want to have a better time of it.

We already have our tickets. =)