Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

November 2010 Trip Report - Tokyo Disneyland!

I'm posting our trip report last November as before we went to Disneyland, the site helped me a lot do my research so I hope this also helps people who want to go there. I'm splitting this into several posts as it might become too long in one post. I already have posted these on our blog at http://japan.lifeonthespot.com and you'll find more photos there. Will be updating this when I get time.

November 23, 2010 (Tuesday) – We got up early to go Tokyo Disneyland today. We were coming from Akihabara so we had to take the Metro Ride to Hacchobori and then to Maihama. After having breakfast with food we bought in our nearby Sunkus, we were out our apartment at 7:20 AM. We experienced the “real” feel of Tokyo Metro and the morning Rush hour today as the trip from Akihabara to Hacchobori Station was really crowded. The trip from Hacchobori to Maihama was good as my daughter even got a seat.

We arrived in Maihama at 8:06 AM and stopped by the large suitcase shaped “Bon Voyage” shop where they were selling loads of Disney items. Mavis wanted to buy a cap for her the other day but didn’t see one she really wanted so she tried looking for one here. Disneyland was to open at 9 but the shop already had loads of people buying stuff! You have pouches for your tickets, hats, caps, toys, buckets, cookies, and your 1900Yen China-made kids’ Tiarra! While Mavis was able to buy what she wanted, Xiane got to try some of the hats that all Japanese ladies must have while in Disneyland.

There was already a long line in front of us when we got to the gates but not nearly as long as the one yesterday in DisneySea and we were in fact lined up just after the covered entrance. Considering you have several gates, it also meant there were probably 700 visitors ahead of us not including the Hotel guests who were already inside the park!

When the gates opened, you’d see people rushing off everywhere and you know that you don’t have enough time to enjoy whatever there is in World Bazaar except the big Christmas Tree displayed in the middle. Here is where your “Tokyo Disneyland Plan of Attack” comes in.

Remember that this is a Tuesday, which makes it less crowded than your weekend. By the time we reach Monsters, Inc. Ride and Go Seek, Fast Passes were already for 11 AM and there was a looong line. I grabbed Mavis and Xiane’s ticket and told them to go to Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters to line up for the ride. I got 12:15 PM Fast Passes for Monsters, Inc Ride and Go Seek and hurried off to Astro Blasters.

Passing Space Mountain and wondering how we’d be able ride it later with its long queue, I reached Astro Blasters which has its own long queue. Since we were already able to ride this in Hong Kong Disneyland, it was ok for me to miss it as I thought Mavis and Xiane were already inside. After 10 minutes, I see them in line near the entrance and joined them. Mavis didn’t have a map so she got lost a bit and thus allowed me to catch up with them in line.

We went straight across to Captain EO but already had a 40 minute wait time. I lined up while Mavis and Xiane looked for the cart selling Caramel Popcorn. Captian EO is a “revived” Michael Jackson 3D show which Mavis and Xiane really liked but me, not much. The show was in English so there no problem understanding the flimsy plot.

After the show, we were right in time to line up for “One Man’s Dream II – The Magic Lives On”, a live show with a lot of your favorite Disney Characters in Showbase.

DisneyLand Tip: If you want to see “One Man’s Dream II –The Magic Lives On” without the hassle of getting thru the lottery system, the first show is on a First Come, First Seat basis. Line up at least 45 minutes before the show to get good seats.

More photos can be seen at
    http://japan.lifeonthespot.com

Last edited by xtian001; 12-12-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Re: November 2010 Trip Report - Tokyo Disneyland!

2nd part of our Trip Report: More photos can be seen at http://japan.lifeonthespot.com

After watching “One Man’s Dream II –The Magic Lives On”, I hurried off to get Fast Passes to “The Haunted Mansion” while Mavis and Xiane took a restroom break and agreed to meet in front of Monsters, Inc. Ride and Go Seek as our FPs were almost up. Monsters, Inc. Ride and Go Seekwas much like Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters but you’re waving flash light instead of a laser gun. The theming was great but having a FP means you’d be walking straight to the end of the line and not being able to fully appreciate the details of the waiting room/area. Still, I’d rather have a FP than wait for at least 30 minutes to get in a ride. Xiane enjoyed it as I’m sure you little ones would enjoy seeing Sully, Mike and Boo together!

DisneyLand Tip: As I was passing through Pooh’s Hunny Hunt on my way to get FP for “The Haunted Mansion”, the available time was already 10:40 PM. This was at exactly 12 noon! I wasn’t that interested with Pooh’s Hunny Hunt as the same was in Hong Kong Disney although in Tokyo, you get multiple paths instead of the linear one in Hong Kong. If you are with toddlers, you may want to get a FP for this early on as it is quite popular with the Japanese.

Last edited by xtian001; 12-12-2010 at 09:23 AM.

• Not here to help

Great report!

But... Pooh in Tokyo is MUCH different than all the others. The Tokyo version is a completely different ride. It is THE best darkride ever in a Disneyland. Sorry you missed it.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

2nd part of our Trip Report: More photos can be seen at http://japan.lifeonthespot.com

We were already getting hungry but the Jubilation Parade was to start in less than 40 minutes (starts at 1:25) so we decided to get a place in front of the Castle near the World Bazaar. To our surprise, there were already a lot of people sitting along the paths. Others had plastic mats to “reserve” their chosen location. Xianelle and I stayed behind and picked us a spot while Mavis bought us food. We had some Churros, soups, and breads. We were lucky to get front seats so read the tips, enjoy the photos and continuation of our day in Disneyland in the next post!

DisneyLand Tip: Timing is crucial along with your plastic mats (or any stuff that can reserve you an area). One hour before the parade starts, you are allowed to place your mats on the sidewalk. You can leave them there while you get on a ride (hopefully you got a FP) and come back 25 minutes before show starts or else, it’ll be too crowded. One more thing, people in front are asked to sit down so that others at the far back can also enjoy the show.
    DisneyLand Tip: Position! Position! Position! If you want to get the photographs and video of the Jubilation Parade, the area in front of the Castle, near World Bazaar would be best. Stay on the side across the Castle as you’ll get to have more coverage once the floats start coming from the bend.

After the Jubilation Parade, we got the chance to have some photos taken in front of Cinderella’s Castle in Tokyo Disneyland.

Our Fast Passes for the The Haunted Mansion were up so we were in a hurry to go to Fantasyland. We passed by Snow White’s Wishing Well so Mavis and Xiane had to stop to make their wishes. I hurried off to Big Thunder Mountain to get FPs and at 2:30, met in front of The Haunted Mansion.

They actually have a Christmas theme for the ride thus it was now titled “Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare” in which Jack Skellington, from Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, becomes your host to the mansion. We didn’t really know what type of ride this was so we were trying to scare each other while going inside. Once inside, you are ushered to a dark chamber and a Japanese-speaking Jack Skellington narrates something that I think should scare you.

The door leading to the “Doom Buggies” opens where 3 people get to seat together . It turns out that this is a linear ride so we just enjoyed looking at the wonderful effects and animatronics of the ride. We did enjoy this ride a lot as it was a long but filling ride where you can see how meticulous they were in creating the whole thing. The Séance Room and the Ballroom were memorable as you can see projected ghosts dancing and floating about. At the end of the ride, don’t be surprised to find that you’ve attracted some spectral beings riding along with you on your Doom Buggy! It is easily one of the best linear rides in Disneyland. Exiting, we found people already sitting on the Parade path waiting for the White Holiday Parade. We wanted to see the parade from the area we saw the Jubilation Parade but saw that the line for Peter Pan’s Flight had only a 5 minute wait time so we went in. You get to see the Peter Pan characters doing their stuff and the view of the city from above was good. However, coming out of the Haunted Mansion, it didn’t really make an impression on us. Again, Sinbad’s Storybook Voyage at DisneySea was much better than this. Sorry if I wasn’t able to take photos of the ride but got photos of Wendy after the ride. As you can see, even Wendy was wearing a thermal suit as it was really cold.

Thanks Timmy! If we ever get the chance to go to Tokyo again, I'm sure Pooh would be one of our first ride in the morning! There's just so many stuff that you could do and watch that I feel you need at least 3 days to fully, fully enjoy TDL!

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Great report!

But... Pooh in Tokyo is MUCH different than all the others. The Tokyo version is a completely different ride. It is THE best darkride ever in a Disneyland. Sorry you missed it.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

What camera are you using??? These photos are AWESOME!!!

Duffy,
    I was bringing a Canon 450D with a 17-40L lens and a 70-200L lens. The last group I uploaded were edited in Adobe Lightroom so you get some effects on them.

You can look at the bigger sized photos on our blog at Life on the Spot - Trip to Tokyo, Japan (click the photos there!).

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    What camera are you using??? These photos are AWESOME!!!

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by xtian001 View Post
    Thanks Timmy! If we ever get the chance to go to Tokyo again, I'm sure Pooh would be one of our first ride in the morning! There's just so many stuff that you could do and watch that I feel you need at least 3 days to fully, fully enjoy TDL!
    Oh well... you got to see one the most fun places on earth. Disneyland in Tokyo is not just for Japan
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by xtian001 View Post
    Duffy,
    I was bringing a Canon 450D with a 17-40L lens and a 70-200L lens. The last group I uploaded were edited in Adobe Lightroom so you get some effects on them.

You can look at the bigger sized photos on our blog at Life on the Spot - Trip to Tokyo, Japan (click the photos there!).
    Thanks!^^

Tokyo Disneyland’s White Holiday Parade

People were already crowding as the parade was to start in 15 minutes. We really wanted to watch the White Holiday Parade near The World Bazaar but we were stuck in Adventure Land. We saw some Cast Members making some motions with their hands as they try to teach people already sitting on the pathways what do on certain parts of the parade. White Holiday Parade was short but fun. I noticed that they get to reuse the Toy Story Characters a lot, as they were in every parade; Jubilation, White Holiday Parade and Disney’s Electric Parade Dreamlights. Just before the end, everybody is urged to shout “Let it Snow!” several times and magically, snow comes out of the floats!

More photos at http://japan.lifeonthespot.com

• Resident of the Caldera

You missed the best ride in the park!

• "The Musical Quil"

Sooper jealous! It's been my dream to make it too that park. Congrats! You're daughter is adorable. Looks like you had a great time.
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

Thanks! We did have a great time .. not just in Disney but the whole of Tokyo. Hoping to make it back next year!

Quote Originally Posted by 10/6 View Post
    Sooper jealous! It's been my dream to make it too that park. Congrats! You're daughter is adorable. Looks like you had a great time.

Disney’s Electric Parade Dreamlights

We passed by the castle once more as we headed to the same area we were when watching Jubilation Parade to catch Disney’s Electric Parade Dreamlights. The Castle was bright with lights and every 15 minutes, I think, music starts and the Castle is lit up by different Christmas-themed spotlights and colors. Another trickle of snow falls before the whole thing ends. Lovely!

By now, it was already difficult to get a space in front of the parade path so we settled for the 2nd row. Anyway, I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves. I wasn’t bringing my 2.8 lens which should have given me sharper images in spite of the overall darkness so I had to make do with my f4 lens. For photographers out there, you know what I mean…

After the parade, we decided to go home and not wait for the fireworks but we did catch a glimpse of them by the time we were waiting for the train at Maihama Station. Judging from what we saw, it wasn’t that spectacular and finished in 5 minutes tops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast