Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal Osaka

Universal Osaka

Please forgive this thread on Universal Studios Japan on the TDL forum... there doesn't seem to be much information on the web about USJ and so I figured that you would probably know! I'm considering a trip to USJ when I go to Japan in October. Is it worth a visit?

I would be going on a weekday in October - how crowded do you think it would be then? What kind of wait times can I expect? What about if I didn't arrive until early afternoon (combining it with a visit to the aquarium beforehand?

How useful are the single rider lines? (My only experience of using these are in HKDL, where they gave you no advantage as the wait time was typically 0-2 minutes, and at AK, where they took longer than the regular line...). I would consider the Express Pass booklets if they were really necessary, but they look horribly expensive.

Finally, how wet do you get on Jurassic Park?

Any other advice greatly appreciated!

Re: Universal Osaka

I went to USJ in Spring of 2009. I was at TDR, and I did a side trip to Osaka to see the area and of course USJ. I took the train there and then spent the night at the Universal Port. I left Tokyo in the am got there around 1pm-ish I think. Specifically I wanted to see the Aquarium (which was great and is across the river from USJ) and a couple of buildings there in Osaka. I arrived, checked out the buildings then went to aquarium and then took the boat over to the hotel and checked in and went to the Park at night to see the Starlight parade. I went back to the Park first thing the next day, and took a train back to Tokyo that night about 5pm. That was more than enough time to see the Park--the only thing I missed was Peter Pan. At that time, I walked on to almost every ride. Can't remember if I used the single rider line or not, if I did then no issues, but I may not have because the Park was practically empty. Quite a contrast coming from TDL which was packed. I think I probably did use the express booklet-cause I get that everytime I go to any Universal Park--but I find myself rarely using it-but it makes me feel better for some reason. So yes, I say it's worth the trip, just to experience it. Be warned, it's a lot of travel, tho. As for Jurassic Park--I believe I was sandwiched in the middle of the boat and did not get very wet at all--plus everyone around you is in ponchos-cause it's been my experience that the Japanese don't love getting wet. Do it!

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Please forgive this thread on Universal Studios Japan on the TDL forum... there doesn't seem to be much information on the web about USJ and so I figured that you would probably know! I'm considering a trip to USJ when I go to Japan in October. Is it worth a visit?
    I spent quite a bit of time in Osaka last year. Is Universal Studios Japan worth a visit? Umm kind of in a way yes. But I wouldn't visit especially just to visit USJ. Universal Studios has in my opinion superior parks in Orlando and Hollywood. The Japan park is in serious need of updating some of its attractions including Backdraft. Most of the Park's layout is identical to the Orlando Universal Studios. But the park has some unique stuff too like Space Fantasy. The merchandise is also really cool stuff with Spiderman cookie tins and JAWS novelty hats. Also unlike Disney, USJ has merchandise specific to each area of the park. Magical Starlights Parade is the park's version of Dreamlights and is very impressive. Add in attractions like Jurassic Park and Spiderman and you probarely have a good enough reason to visit.

I would be going on a weekday in October - how crowded do you think it would be then? What kind of wait times can I expect? What about if I didn't arrive until early afternoon (combining it with a visit to the aquarium beforehand?
    October will bring in more people, especially for the Halloween Event. But if you visit on a Weekday you should be alright. I would certainly recomend a couple of hours around Osaka's wonderful Aquarium its a real highlight of any visit to Osaka. USJ doesn't offer any kind of free FastPass so you could turn up a bit later in the day and not have to face seeing all attractions out of FastPass.

How useful are the single rider lines? (My only experience of using these are in HKDL, where they gave you no advantage as the wait time was typically 0-2 minutes, and at AK, where they took longer than the regular line...). I would consider the Express Pass booklets if they were really necessary, but they look horribly expensive.
    I did the Express pass booklets and while its a pricey option. It maybe a more suitable option since it will save you time in the queue's. I have not experience single rider and I'm not even sure if its available at the park. If it is available than its only on a limited amount of attractions.

Finally, how wet do you get on Jurassic Park?
    Its more of a spray than a splash and you dry of in no time at all. Just don't let the Japanese poncho wearing riders to put you off.

I have a Universal Japan Trip Report your free to check out here. http://micechat.com/forums/universal...ip-report.html
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Thank you both for your replies. I'm still slightly on the fence about whether to go to USJ - I enjoy the one in Orlando but it isn't a "must do" in the same way that Disney is. I enjoy Spiderman, Jaws etc. and I'm intrigued by Space Fantasy, so if the crowds aren't too bad it may be a nice afternoon/evening. I'm definitely interested in doing the aquarium, though.

With the Universal Express passes - are they valid only once on each of the listed attractions, or can you use it to go on the attractions multiple times? I had assumed it was the former, but reading the USJ website I can't see that it actually says that anywhere.

• Minion

You are given coupon books and your only allowed to ride the attraction using the Express option the once. An attendant will rip the coupon for each attraction out of the book when used. So unfortunately no one can ride or see the same attraction twice on the same day.

Another point I should mention is that USJ no longer allow same day admission. So once you leave the park, you can not re enter again and would have to buy another ticket.

• TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    You are given coupon books and your only allowed to ride the attraction using the Express option the once. An attendant will rip the coupon for each attraction out of the book when used. So unfortunately no one can ride or see the same attraction twice on the same day.

Another point I should mention is that USJ no longer allow same day admission. So once you leave the park, you can not re enter again and would have to buy another ticket.
    If you read the fine print carefully Universal Studios Japan?
    and if you get the 7 choice one, Theyre is one the booklet where you have choices... and within those choices certain attractions are repeatable so I remember when I went in february 09 if i didnt want to do the Hollywood rip rocket , I could chose to do spiderman again which I did.

I would also chime in and say Universal studios japan is definitely worth visiting , Having been to both of the studio parks in the states , I was really impressed with the one in japan... while only Hollywood has a studio tour, Japan improves on the Florida experience . For me buying the express booklet was totally worthit , I only had 4-5hrs in the park and I was able to do the highlights.. I hope you have a great time and please let me know if you have any other questions. Welcome to micechat

• Minion

If you read the fine print carefully Universal Studios Japan?
    and if you get the 7 choice one, Theyre is one the booklet where you have choices... and within those choices certain attractions are repeatable so I remember when I went in february 09 if i didnt want to do the Hollywood rip rocket , I could chose to do spiderman again which I did.
    I know the rules in regards to the booklets. The only attraction where you may choose an alternative attraction is for Hollywood Dream - The Ride. And even than the only options that were printed on the coupon as an alternative are Shrek 3D or Sesame Street 3D. I know the website states you can pick another attraction listed in the booklet. But this was never offered when I visted in March 2010. Could be that the rules have changed since your visit two years a go? I think its safe to say anyway that my information is more likely to be right here since its more recent. As for the information on USJ's website. Its quite often the case that Japanese themeparks have English websites with contradicting and confusing languege. So its best to go from park experience on situations like the above.

If Steve76 is looking for a reason to visit may I recomend coming during Universal Japan's 10th Anniversary starting in March 2011. Although warning this may spike attendance numbers.

Universal Studios Japan will celebrate its 10th anniversary next spring, thanks to generous support from many guests. Under the theme "The Biggest and Greatest Happy Surprises in Park History" from March 3 (Thu), 2011 to April 8 (Sun), 2012, Universal Studios Japan will offer a sequence of festive-mood filled world-class entertainments that can be experienced specially during the 10th anniversary period.
    During this period, the Park will enthrall visitors with its festive atmosphere. For example, the Universal Globe, which is located in the Park entrance and is loved by many guests as a symbol of the Park, will be adorned with special decorations. Besides this, many optical illusion art works will be on display to amaze guests.
    As part of the 10th anniversary events, “Dreams Are Universal", a special outdoor show, will be held on the largest scale in the Park’s history from March 3, 2011 to January 9, 2012. This heartwarming story of family dreams will be performed by popular Park characters, along with a total of 90 entertainers. Moreover, a stunningly realistic dinosaur, huge soap bubbles, and many other surprises will appear one after the next, everywhere around the Park. Furthermore, upgraded 10th anniversary versions of annual seasonal events will be performed.
    During its 10th anniversary event period, Universal Studios Japan will offer visitors the happiest feelings and excitement beyond anything they have ever experienced or imagined, helping create for them delightful and unforgettable memories.

• TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I know the rules in regards to the booklets. The only attraction where you may choose an alternative attraction is for Hollywood Dream - The Ride. And even than the only options that were printed on the coupon as an alternative are Shrek 3D or Sesame Street 3D. I know the website states you can pick another attraction listed in the booklet. But this was never offered when I visted in March 2010. Could be that the rules have changed since your visit two years a go? I think its safe to say anyway that my information is more likely to be right here since its more recent. As for the information on USJ's website. Its quite often the case that Japanese themeparks have English websites with contradicting and confusing languege. So its best to go from park experience on situations like the above.

If Steve76 is looking for a reason to visit may I recomend coming during Universal Japan's 10th Anniversary starting in March 2011. Although warning this may spike attendance numbers.
    Alot can happen in two years maybe they changed it, maybe I got lucky and got to experience spider man twice.. either way I think we both agree Universal Osaka is worth a trip!

• Banned User

heres a sneak from the me song of usjs 10th anniversary this is going a one heck of a blast
    YouTube -

• Minion

The Universal Studios Japan themepark has launched in Japanese its 10th Anniversary website. ????????????????(R) 10???????

It looks like the park is putting everything it has into this years big Anniversary year. Question is "will it be worth another trip out to Osaka to see?

Has anyone ever done the Shinkensen from Tokyo to Osaka and back again in one day?

Malin, I didn't do it in one day, but I did go down on a Friday to Osaka, and back Saturday night. It was a short trip, a little tiring trying to cram everything in. So I wouldn't recommend a one day trip. Plus, the train times may not line up for a "smart" one day visit.

• Minion

Thanks for the feedback GUYNYC, I also did a similar trip to your's but in reverse order. Traveling from Osaka to Tokyo for the night. The journey I recall takes about 3 hours and is possible if leaving early and coming back late. The purpose would be to check out the 10th Anniversary and not so much the park but I'm not sure the cost involved is really worth it. I'm in Japan for a full 10 nights and have yet to decide on a schedule. If my destinations call for me to purchase a JR Pass I may make the trip. But its not something I havn't given much thought too, although I feel Tokyo to Osaka in one day while possible, is like you say a bit tiring.

Thumbs up Re: Universal Osaka

My husband and I lived for nearly three years in Osaka building the park. We just returned last week with quite a few members of the construction team for the 10th anniversary celebration. And we had a BLAST!

The park is still GORGEOUS, and it was totally worth the trip. (Osaka was virtually untouched by the recent Japanese disasters, and the country needs the tourist business.) We're so very proud of this park and our part in creating it.

We are unabashed theme park junkies, both of us having gone to Disneyland as small children the year it opened. We still have annual passes since we live in California. We've also been to Florida and Tokyo, so we have something to compare USJ with.

I did documentation for the whole park. My husband worked on JAWS, Jurassic Park, and WaterWorld (still the very best live-action stunt show in the world).

You won't get very wet at all on Juristic Park unless you're hit by one of the spitters (as I was). The Japanese don't like getting wet, so the ride was built with a long, fast splashdown and run-out. By the time the water from the splash settles, the boat is well in front of it. It is an exciting ride with a great storyline.

JAWS features seven sharks and some amazing special effects. (I wanted to live on Amity Island! The buildings are beautiful.)

Terminator 2 is also a fabulous show, as are Back to the Future and Spiderman. The Hollywood Dreams coaster is new (at least to us), and it is probably the fastest and smoothest coaster I've ever ridden. At night, it shoots across the sky like a comet!

The quality of the food in the park remains very high. (We had speculated that this would deteriorate over the years. It hasn't.)

The special 10th anniversary show and the parades, especially the nighttime one, are extremely well done.

My advice: Don't miss this one!

Hey,

I am going in June...and if Disney parks are not open or radiation is still bad, going up here, does anyone know of a cheap place to stay right neat US or on a train/nus line?

I arrive late into haneda, what is the easiest way to get to the bullet trains? Thats if the bullet train is running?
    2000 - Disneyland
    2000 - Walt Disney World
    2005 - Disneyland
    2005 - Walt Disney World
    2006 - Hong Kong Disneyland
    2006 - Tokyo Disneyland/sea
    2007 - Hong Kong Disneyland
    2008 - Hong kong Disneyland x2
    2009 - Hong Kong Disneyland x2
    Upcoming
    Dec 2009 Hong Kong Disneyland
    Febuary 2010 Tokyo Disney