Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Re: Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea week long (dream) trip report

More photos (it's wonderful to look at the odd and yet surprisingly fresh takes on park merchandise, no offensive to you and your most awesome trip to TDR!)

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

• "The Musical Quil"

Amazing TR! I love your focus on the not-so-seen areas of the park. I've never seen photos of TSI.
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

•   

Loved taking the tour through your minds eye. It brought back old memories in the design and installation phases and recent visits there. "PD"

Thank you so much for your trip report! I'm going to TDS for the first time next month, so all of the information on this board is wonderful!

Like your niece, I am a huge Alice in Wonderland fan! Is there a lot of Alice stuff in the parks, merchandise wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    More photos (it's wonderful to look at the odd and yet surprisingly fresh takes on park merchandise, no offensive to you and your most awesome trip to TDR!)
    Got some more merchandise photos I'll post.

Quote Originally Posted by 10/6 View Post
    I've never seen photos of TSI.
    In our planning I think we found just a handful. So it was very exciting because it was 100% new to us in a way. It's also why I took a lot more photos of the island.

Quote Originally Posted by lizski2345 View Post
    Thank you so much for your trip report! I'm going to TDS for the first time next month, so all of the information on this board is wonderful!

Like your niece, I am a huge Alice in Wonderland fan! Is there a lot of Alice stuff in the parks, merchandise wise?
    Thanks! They had a lot more Cheshire Cat stuff than just Alice, but there was a small collection of Alice stuff at the Disney Store outside the park near the Rainforest Cafe.

Thumbs up Re: Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea week long (dream) trip report

Every update shows more and more of family members having the time of their lives, no marketing people necessary to sell the "magic." I it! We are so lucky to have this! You reminded me that I still haven't been on some of the attractions in Westernland. I'm "saving" stuff since my Disney park memories didn't even begin until I was already "old." It's never too late, right?

Keep it comin'!^^

ARGH, just spent an hour typing everything up and computer froze and everything is gone. Will work on it again tomorrow, this time in Word, then move everything over.

Sorry.

But here are a few pictures to make up for it:

And yes, that looks just like what you think it does.

The Stitch Lego thing.

The finished product, which took us more than an hour!

More soon, I promise.

That's a bummer about the technical difficulties, but that it just leaves more time to build anticipation!^^

It was about 1, so we headed out to meet my friend in Akihabara.

For those who don't know, Aki is a major personal electronics paradise. Games, toys, computers, cameras etc.

I had gone with my Japan-based friend during my previous trip and loved it. The purpose going this time was Navy-friend, despite being in the country for more than two years, had never been to Aki. Plus, I thought would be a good place to visit for our first trip outside of the Disney Resort to show my niece was Tokyo was all about.

We got to the Maihama Station and went about getting rail tickets.

The map of the rail system in Tokyo looks overwhelming at first. You just stare at this giant map of lines and colors and go "what the..." but in all of that mess of color is actually a crazy easy to understand concept.

First, you look on the map and find your destination (one of them is in English, at the ones we went to). Then see that number underneath? That's how much you have to pay. See? Simple.

The ATM-like machines under the maps are the ticket vendors. And yes, there's an English button too. Everything is super easy to understand. We never got confused (it helps that they have photos on the buttons too, to show an adult with a child etc.)

Then you just pay, get your tickets and you are good to go. My advice though is to not completely put the tickets away in a place you can't easily get them. Because you'll need them to enter and leave the stations. A few times I had to go rifling around in my pockets looking for them. Finally I just put them in an empty pocket (also making sure I held onto my niece's ticket).

The signs at the station are easy to follow, so no worries about getting too lost. My niece had never been on any sort of subway or anything so it was exciting for her. I, however, was super paranoid and wouldn't let her anywhere near the edge of the tracks.

Since it was the mid-afternoon the train wasn't busy and we all got to sit. My niece just loved that the areas under the seats were heated. But, hey, easy to impress a 10-year-old.

The trip to Aki doesn't take long and there is only one connection through the Tokyo station. From there it's only like 5 minutes.

Walking through the Tokyo Station brought back a ton of memories. I remember going through the same exact route when we visited DisneySea almost three years prior.

It's kind of funny how your brain remembers things. I spent maybe like 10 minutes there years ago and I just knew exactly where to go. I've lived in Riverside for years and still get lost. I remember the bookstore and the dessert stands. Was fun to see it again, even being something as plain and boring as a train station.

Getting off at Aki we ran right into Japan-based friend. It was great seeing him again.

Here's the funny part. He couldn't stay with us long because he had to pack to leave the next day. Where was he going? Riverside, where we live! Talk about crazy timing.

My niece was hungry so we found a McDonalds close. Before we left for the trip I showed my niece a commerical for the McDonalds in Japan where these three kids totally lose their minds after playing with the Spongebob Happy Meal toys. You can easily search for it, it's hilarious.

She almost lost her mind when we saw what the Happy Meal toys were: the same ones!

So she got the Spongebob talking straw one with chicken nuggets, fries and a grape Fanta. The rest of us didn't feel like McD so we just caught up while she ate.

We had the great idea to film and recreate the viral video of the Spongebob toy kids. Too bad the toy didn't work right. Weeks later we still can't get the darn thing to work properly.

We then walked around Aki for a while.

My Japan-based friend also needed some parts for his XBox so we headed to this giant 6+ story electronics store. Giant isn't even a good word to describe it.

Each floor had something different. Like one floor with just toys and models.

I think that floor made us all geek out. Yes, three grown men and a 10-year-old girl all found something on the Toy level to lose our collective minds.

This bad boy was my geek moment:

And no, I didn't get it. Just a bit too pricey: 7,900 yen!

Also spent a lot of time on the video gaming level. My niece especially loved the Nintendo DS area. Japan-based friend also got to play the new Nintendo 3DS, which I looked over his shoulder and wasn't too impressed.

The best part? They had a Tower Records!

Boy, I miss Tower Records.

We all looked around for a while. I was on a mission to find something we couldn't get in the US, like a CD with tracks especially made for the Japan release. No luck for me, but my niece found a special Taylor Swift CD with extra songs for the Japan release.

Of course she wanted it. 2,500 yen if I remember right.

I then explained to my Japan-based friend about how evil Justin Bieber is and you can't look to your left lately without seeing or hearing him. He said they basically had the same thing with this girl group named AKB48. He showed me their CDs and posters and it looked like it was a big group. I asked how many girls are in this group and he said "More than 40" WHAT? Could you imagine having to deal with 40 Biebers?

The other great advantage of buying the CD was that I got a Tower Records bag!

We walked around some more, stopping at video game stores and claw machine arcades. My niece loved those.

Very expensive though. The cheapest ones were 100 yen. Looking closely at one I noticed that they actually taped some of the prizes down to prevent you from winning them.

More advice: Never tell a 10-year-old that. As we were leaving she kept saying "cheaters! cheaters! why would they cheat like that?!"

The rest of us were hungry by then so I remembered a place from my previous trip that I HAD to eat at again: Mos Burger!

I ordered a chicken teriyaki sandwich with melon soda. My niece and I watched a lot of videos in preparation of the trip and one of them "Tokyo Swan" showed the melon soda a few times. So to the both of us, it was like meeting a rock star in soda form.

The soda was very tasty. The food was good, but Japan-based friend had to order three different burgers just to feel full.

I remembered one more place we had to stop at: Mister Donut!

We got a few doughnuts, including this extremely cute Teddy Bear one:

By then it was time to say bye to Japan-based friend, but not before we stopped at another Icon:

Back in the train station, Japan-based friend wanted to show us something cool: A state-of-the-art vending machine. This thing uses a camera and other things to scan you and suggest a drink. So it scanned Navy-friend and offered large sized drinks, coffee etc.

My niece then stood in front and it chose a smaller water for her and drinks like Apple Juice.

We headed back and it was almost 6 so we decided to head back to the park. Navy-friend ran ahead because he wanted to hit as many rollercoasters as possible, my niece wasn't going to do Space Mountain so we agreed to split.

This is where we learned an important lesson. In my rush to meet Japan-based friend we hurried out, not paying attention to the sign saying you must have a handstamp to return. Plus I figured we wouldn't be back in time.

Thankfully the guy at the gate was cool and let us in, but not before taking us over to the sign and pointing it out to us. Let's just say we always got a handstamp after that, no matter what.

One bad thing, they really get those things nice and wet. On certain rides I saw that the stamp had leaked all over my hand and even into my jacket. I looked like I just killed some day-glo monster.

Seeing their awesome Castle at night was a high point for all of us. I think we sat and stared at it for a few minutes.

Our first stop was the Grand Circuit Raceway, or Autopia for us. Surprisingly for us it never had more than a 10 minute wait the entire time we were there, which is rare to see for us. Whenever we're at Disney, Autopia always has a wait.

This was also our first disappointment. The Disneyland version is better. My complaint was that there's nothing to really see while you are driving. A sign or two and that's it. Otherwise it's very boring.

One cool thing it has is a Grandstand seating area! For people to sit and watch the ride, pretty cool if you ask me. I didn't want to take a picture of it in the dark and said I'd come back during the day (and promptly forgot about it!).

We then went on Pooh again. It was cool because we were the actual first people to get on in the morning and the last ride of the day for us.

Went over to the Sweetheart Cafe for some dessert. I wanted the Mike Wazowski look alike melon bread, but my niece won out with Strawberry mousse in a special keepsake cup.

It was very good. We promised each other that we'd get an awesome dessert each day as we left the park to head back to the hotel.

DisneySea was tomorrow and the main reason for coming to Japan, so I couldn't wait for my niece to experience what I had three years prior.

And trust me, all the crap and doing-without to get there was finally worth it.

• A Little Rabid

I'm thoroughly enjoying each post you've made thus far! And I have to confess, once I saw the Tron!Stitch charms, I had to get one of my own - two of those guys are being mailed out to me thanks to a nifty website called Flutterscape.

And you mentioned Tokyo Swan! I really adored that guy and his videos. He will be missed.
    I lurk.

Wow, great trip report so far...can't wait for the DisneySea section!
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Me, too! That's the best part! I hope she liked Duffy…

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Me, too! That's the best part! I hope she liked Duffy…
    Oh... my... God...

Spoiler alert - she did! Wait until we get there. Duffy-mania is coming...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast