Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Re: Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea week long (dream) trip report

Yes, overall Tokyo's HM is very similar to the pre-refurb in WDW , HOWEVER I did catch a few subtle effects that I haven't seen in WDW version...like in the library there is a book sitting on the table with pages moving on their own...and in the doors area, one of the small portraits on the walls, the head in the portrait actually moves out toward you (cool effect, not sure how they did it).
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

After we ate those amazing waffles we decided to head over to DisneySea. My friend wanted another ride on Tower of Terror, so the plan was for him to run ahead and do that and wed meet him there.

My niece and I took our time, window shopping in the World Bazaar and just slowly walking to the monorail. Word of advice, never buy new shoes before going on a trip. I had no idea her dad bought her new shoes until she was saying her feet were hurting.

She wanted to be an adult on the monorail and stand up and hold on to the Mickey hand rails.

Heh, she didnt expect the little kick you get when it gets going after a stop. She just barely was tall enough to grab onto it.

We also had fun because our car of the monorail was empty. We laughed a little louder at the simplest things.

Upon exiting the monorail you get a beautiful view of the entrance to DisneySea.

Its one of those things that you keep looking at and never get used to how great it is.

We also got a nice picture with one of our favorite attraction posters:

And we were very lucky (as we were character wise the entire trip) to run into this rare character.

OK, granted Pluto isnt specifically rare, but Pluto with a special hat is!

We also took our time here. Thats another good tip; if youre there for a few days make sure to put aside time to smell the roses so to speak.

Look at interesting signs and such. I loved these we found:

As we were waiting for my friend we noticed the Milk Tea Popcorn stand. We had talked about this flavor ahead of time and were unsure.

Once again, another tip here. For this flavor we bought a small box to try out the flavor first before buying a big bucket of it. If memory serves me correct it was 400 yen for the box.

Was it good? Lets go to the video:

My take on it? Meh. Im not a big tea fan (I know, I should be). I thought it had a funky aftertaste. But, when on the trip of a lifetime you gotta try new things right?

We then headed back to Mermaid Lagoon. My niece just couldnt get enough of Scuttles Scooters and Flounders Coaster.

This time she rode with my friend, so we got a nice picture of me alone.

I wasnt really feeling riding the coaster again, so they went without me.

Since I had my friends nice camera and some time to myself (the line was about 15 minutes) I went on a little, quiet, sightseeing tour.

I got back in time to see one of my favorite memories of the trip. Somehow, my friend said something to her to make her suddenly brave enough to put her arms in the air on the coaster!

And look where Shellie May got to sit, lol.

I was so proud of her. And everyone waiting in line was getting a kick out of her screaming with laughter. I think it helped that my friend was doing it too.

I was laughing for a good ten minutes.

We then headed over to the Arabian Coast to show my friend the double decker carousel.

This time we rode on the top deck.

My friend was hungry by that point so he ran off to eat at the New York Deli. We were going to meet up at the showing of Legend of Mythica.

We stuck around the Coast and got another coconut/churro sundae. Really, you have to try them. We ate so many during our trip we could own stock in the churro company.

On a side note, I was finally able to find some coconut ice cream at the store. For the longest time I could only find coconut mixed with something else. So, recently when I was watching her I surprised her with a coconut/churro sundae. Not as good as the original, but we both laughed.

She also wanted to try out the game there that I failed before.

She showed me how to fail without looking like you are trying to. For her performance she chose a special Arabian Daisy pin.
    We didnt want to eat at the Deli, so we walked to the other side of the park into Duffy-ville.

We chose the Cape Cod Cook-Off, just based solely on the menu.

As we were waiting to order/pay we saw something pretty cool happen. There was this mentally challenged Japanese boy ordering something by himself and he didnt have enough money. There was this American guy behind him who didnt miss a beat and pulled out a pocket of yen coins and quickly figured out how much he needed.

Very nice by itself, right? Well, the kids mother or grandmother comes over then and the cashier explains to her what happened. The woman was so grateful to the man. She kept saying thank you and trying to pay the guy back, but he kept refusing.

I just looked down at my niece and told her thats how everyone should act. Very nice moment.

She ordered the cool Mickey shaped chicken nuggets with fries with 7-Up.

I got a burger with egg on it and fries. Grape Fanta if youre wondering.

We both got creampuffs. We seemed to get creampuffs a lot with our dinners. They must really love creampuffs, but then again who doesn't?

As we were looking for a place to sit, a woman handed us a standee with a number on it. And ushered us into another room. Needless to say I was confused at first.

I quickly figured out it was for the Duffy show.

And this whole thing was a well-oiled machine. Someone brought us to our table, you cant choose where to sit. The standee numbers was how long we could sit there and watch the show.

The place was jam packed, so I could only assume that maybe people love to sit there and watch the Duffy show.
    Most of it was in Japanese, but a bit was in English. We could understand enough.

Got some video of the songs:

And man, those songs. You think Macarena was like an ear wig getting lodged in your brain. Try listening to My Friend Duffy once and forgetting it.

As I type this I am singing Duffy! D-U-F-F-Y! Duffy! D-U-F-F-Y! My Friend Duffy!

The entire rest of the trip we would just find ourselves singing that song! Then we would, without thinking, inserting other words and singing it that way: PIZZA! P-I-Z-Z-A!

To this day we still sing it! ARGH.

We had a lot of fun, but guessed after a while we needed to meet back with my friend at the show.

Normally it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. But spotting a 65 white guy in a Mickey Sorcerer hat is a lot easier than you think.

And he got an amazing spot. Years ago I caught maybe 5 minutes of the show so it was nice to stand there and watch the entire thing.

So, my niece was watching this amazing display of water and floats and just something youve never seen before and after a while I look for her reaction and she takes a drink of her soda and asks What is Mythica? I told her that would have to wait for Google.

Later on as we were trading photos, I would realize that my friend took about 400 photos of the show. I think if I put them all together it would basically be a video of the show.

The show got thumbs up from all of us. Really good stuff.

By then my niece was running on empty, so my friend was going to go to Disneyland and ride more coasters and stuff and we would meet up with him later.

another excellent installment - thanks for sharing!!

While I work on the next round of photos and videos, I thought I'd update the progress of this report. So the next update will be the evening of our third Disney day. My niece and I then have a full fourth day of Disney, just the two of us. Then we have a day of moving to the new hotel and venturing out into the city. Then the next day is coming home.

I will say there is a lot of good stuff coming up. Some of the trip's best moments came in those final days.

And I may have cried like a baby, heh.

• Lemony Goodness

Hey, fitztwg, I think your niece needs this popcorn bucket! It's modeled after the globe fountain..

★ディズニーシー10周年ポップコ ンバケツいよいよ登*!!|~D24~ シャレでいたい女の*の為のディズ ニーブ*グ
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by LilTeacup View Post
    WOW! That is great! We would have totally gotten that one.

---------- Post added 07-10-2011 at 08:59 PM ----------

We got back to the hotel and my niece literally went straight to sleep. Using the free Internet I caught up on some news and stuff.
    Also took some photos of the room:

After about two hours I woke her up so we could meet up with my friend. We took our sweet time getting back into the park and looking around. We had plenty of time before the parade started so we just goofed off for a while.

We stumbled upon the Pan Galactic Pizza Port by accident and from above.

And saw the owner: Tony Solaroni.

One quick look at the menu and I figured my niece wouldn’t want to eat there. But, she read it too and got excited at the prospect of Snow Crab Pizza.

I was literally gobsmackd. I had no clue she would eat something like that!

Here’s what it looked like:

I got some sort of sausage pizza:

We found some great outdoor seating at the Plaza Restaurant, where we suggested to meet with my friend.

And my niece went straight to work on the pizza:

And yes, it was very cold.

And yes, those are cream puffs again.

My friend came running over as we finished and said he actually had found us better seats!

And he wasn’t kidding as we were right in front about one row back, but still with an amazing view of the parade.

The parade was great, and I’ll review it better with our last day report, but what was surprising about it was the crowd control.

If memory serves me correct at our park they are super strict about blocking things off ahead of time and no one gets through at all.

Here, the floats get VERY close before they stop people. I kept looking at my friend going “are they even going to stop the people?”

He did get some great shots of the parade, especially with the castle lit up in the background:

By the time the parade was over we only had about 40 minutes until the park closed. We decided that everyone would pick one ride to go on before we left.

My friend stopped my niece and asked her if she would ride Star Tours with him. She had refused all week long. She looked and him and said since it was his last day she would! I was so proud of her to say something like that on her own without being coached or anything.

I really like the building for their Star Tours. It’s massive! And really makes you think that you’re taking an intergalactic trip.
    The fun part was trying to hold onto the popcorn bucket and her hand during the ride!

And guess what? She loved it! My friend and I both said “See! We told you!”

My niece then picked Roger Rabbit to go on. This time she wanted to ride alone. As before there was no one in line so we got right on.

Also took a second to have some fun in the ghost-like Toontown. By the way, the director of the shot was a 10-year-old girl.

I had wanted to try the Buzz Lightyear ride, but as we ran up the ride had a very long wait, 30 minutes I think.

So I decided that Pirates would be a good last ride for all of us. And it was as there was not a soul in line. We literally got right on. I loved it.

We got out of the ride at 8:01 p.m., but the funny thing was they were still inviting people to ride.

My friend ran ahead to get into the stores for some last second shopping and we met back at the hotel.

As he packed to leave, we exchanged photos and such. My niece and I were both sad to see him go. It was so much nicer having an extra person there, especially him. It was the vacation of a lifetime for all of us.

He told me later that as he walked back onto the base with his Mickey hat on, everyone had to stop and ask him about Disneyland. Funny, since he never could find anyone to go with him the entire two years he had been stationed there!
    Since she had a nap, she stayed up a bit later and planned our next day.

And we had no idea what kind of amazing day was awaiting us.
    Last edited by fitztwg; 07-10-2011 at 08:01 PM.

• Carbon based

Quote Originally Posted by fitztwg View Post
    AWESOME! I'm glad you guys are there. Make sure to take a ton of photos, both with the camera and the mental kind.
    I've taken in the vicinity of 2,000 pictures which, being there for less than 4 days, felt barely enough

One of my favorite one is this one:

It may sound weird since it's not a particularly good one but there's a reason. Unlike you, I didn't have the chance to preview the park on my own before going and so, while I read and re read everything to prepare, I still was blown away by the global awesomeness of the experience just at the same second my kids were too.

This, as you may recognize, is in the entrance of Mermaid Lagoon. I was walking a bit behind both of my kids just capturing the sights and there's a random guy in that shot because I intended on taking it again. I never did. What I didn't realize at the time that I had also captured on this shot was my daughter, on the bottom left corner. She was running back like crazy, as if her life depended on it. She needed to grab me and show me her personal nirvana just behind the corridor bend... Look at her open mouth: I can still hear her screaming to the top of her tiny lungs 'Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad'

This single memory brings tears of joy to my eyes. Priceless.

Thank you

I'm now blessed with a forever endearing memory... and a terrible shot... that I will never ever crop
    Last edited by TreoFred; 07-13-2011 at 09:32 AM.

I love it.

Who cares about the right side of the photo when you have a great memory on the left. I just love that there's something about that Mermaid place that turns little girls into crazy people.

Hi fitztwg,

You are such a wonderful uncle. Your niece is blessed to have you. I was in awe at certain points of your trip, when you were completely self-less and just wanted to do things to make her happy. I'm sure you will be a great father some day.

If you are ever planning another trip to our local (Anaheim) Disneyland, feel free to message me. I'd love to enjoy the park with you.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

So how's that finale coming?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Such a great report! Can't wait to hear all of it!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

This is my very first post to this forum. I joined specifically so I could tell you how much I love this trip report, and I can't wait to hear the rest!!

Quote Originally Posted by roxy72 View Post
    Hi fitztwg,

You are such a wonderful uncle. Your niece is blessed to have you. I was in awe at certain points of your trip, when you were completely self-less and just wanted to do things to make her happy. I'm sure you will be a great father some day.

If you are ever planning another trip to our local (Anaheim) Disneyland, feel free to message me. I'd love to enjoy the park with you.
    Thank you for the kind words.

That sounds like fun. Are you going to D23? I surprised my mom and niece with tickets. It all works out since I'll be covering it for work. If you are that would be cool.

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 07:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StarKodama View Post
    This is my very first post to this forum. I joined specifically so I could tell you how much I love this trip report, and I can't wait to hear the rest!!
    Thank you! Coming soon.

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 07:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    So how's that finale coming?
    The finale? Well, that is a bit away. But I have more in the pipeline (aka tomorrow). Also been working on some videos. One I keep watching over and over. Can't wait to show everyone that one.

It's funny because these next few parts are going to be hard to write. The morning and afternoon not so much, but the evening was really emotional for both of us (in a good way). But, we still have lots to talk about.

Tease for the next part: More rare characters, fun with stamps, crazy birds and which popcorn bucket will we choose for our final one?

So we slept in a little bit because we were both worn out.

Last Disney day, but not our last day day. We were both a little worn out and our feet hurt. Remember, never get new shoes before going on a trip!

We sort of were awake, but just laid in bed watching Disney Channel. Another cool surprise of staying at the Disney Hotel? Free postcards. So my niece took her time writing ones out for her parents, cousin and my mom. I had bought one earlier for my mom, a cool Winnie the Pooh one. Her favorite.

My niece wanted to see the parade of characters again, so we got to the entrance of Disneyland before the gate opened. As we were walking to the front of the castle we ran into a nice group of characters:

We were really excited and thought there was no way we were going to get any more characters like this. I cant say this enough that we have never had character meetings like this in California. If there was a lottery prize for meeting characters, we won it for sure.

Oh, wait what about my favorite character EVER?

And we got to see these two again. You know, when Chip and Dale are sitting there with no one around them its almost a crime to NOT take a picture with them. Who cares if we saw them almost every day?

By then the park was about to open so we thought wed get another quick run on Pooh.

After the ride we spent a good 30 minutes in the Winnie the Pooh shop right off the ride. Since its my moms favorite we spent a good amount of money there.

Another cool thing for Disney Hotel guests, we had them send our purchase back to the hotel. And the process was very easy. I was a little scared about doing it, but it took less time than the woman bagging up our purchases. And fast forward to later in the day, it got delivered to our room no problem, no hassle. And best of all? Free!

Now we had been on the hunt for another popcorn bucket. We already got an Alice in Wonderland one, a Monsters Inc one and a Little Mermaid one. We kind of had our eyes on a Winnie the Pooh one, so it was an easy choice to see it right outside the ride.

Even cooler? That bucket or Honey flavor must be VERY popular because they had two carts set up right next to each other.

And the bucket is awesome! The Pooh head on the top even moves from side to side.

We had our postcards all done so we decided to get them sent out. In the World Bazaar there is a shop called the House of Greetings. Its filled with postcards, stationery and such. Heres a quick tip for people who travel there. Just walk up to the register and show the cashier your postcards and theyll help you out. The person opened up this book of stamps, got them out rang them up and put them on the postcards.

So, so easy. Now heres another tip, put your letters and postcards in the mailboxes in the parks.

When they get delivered they come with a cute stamp. Ours had a red Tinkerbelle on them.

Another one of my favorite places as a kid at Disneyland was the Penny Arcade. And the one in Tokyo really brought me back.

We got more crushed pennies and even played a few claw games.

It was still early, so we rode Pirates yet again. Hey, its our favorite ride, we love it.

We checked out the stores connected to the ride and bought some Tokyo Disneyland pins for my mom. And my niece played around for a bit.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Love it! That's awesome you saw the Robin Hood characters! They're even a rarity at WDW these days. I used to see them all the time there. I once got a GREAT photo with Prince John where we're BOTH sucking our thumbs! Hilarious!

Can't wait to see more!

And I'm no longer jealous of your niece's Shellie May as I now have one of my own.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast