• Banned User

Smile What do you think about usj`s 10th anniversary show?

please red the description above this is one of the highlights of the anniversary what do you think about the show? please comment.
    YouTube - Dreams Are UNIVERSAL

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Re: What do you think about usj`s 10th anniversary show?

I like the music, and the stunt segment was interesting in that it's just so completely different from anything you'd ever see at Disney. But even though I liked the music okay, the lyrics and story are just so literal! And that idea of the dad not being able to make time to go out with his family on his son's birthday...that's not really my image of Japanese families anymore. My students who are fathers work like crazy, but they manage to find time for milestones, and most Japanese companies are slowly coming around. I dunno...that whole premise made me sad.

It's also really weird for me to see so many characters who have absolutely nothing to do with each other - no similar design sense or thematic element - all thrown together and called "Universal." It actually, for me anyway, draws attention to the fact that none of these are Universal properties. I don't know why Warner doesn't open its own parks. With Harry Potter and Looney Tunes alone, there's potential.

In general, though, what this show made me realize is that Disney's magic is the sense of one cohesive vision, inspired by innumerable artists over the years, but grounded in the same heart. And another uniquely Disney characteristic that the Oriental Land Company and Tokyo Resort seem to understand better than even the US - Disney is about design. The artists there are not just making generic fun, but trying to create genuinely captivating experiences that become part of people's lives and memories. It has the potential to be more than entertainment, which is why there are so many hardcore Disney fans. It has taken me years to fully understand this. Though Harry Potter has the same potential, its tough to imagine it becoming the new Disney. Disney's characters really feel like a "family," and they are virtually unlimited in a way that Rowling's characters are not. This show made me love Disney even more, but it reminded me to consider going to USJ, and this might be a good year to do it.

*And is it just me, or is that Dream Star a bit too much like a cardboard cut-out Dream Key?

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Well I can they spent a lot of money on the show, but that is about it. It did not get me excited like Disney shows. And Dreams are not Universal.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Not here to help

This show was not interesting at all. Boring describes it better. The music was terrible. As mentioned... the stunts looked good but would have suited a parade much better. Other than that it felt like a more expensive and better looking version of the Mickey Mouse shows that they have in Disneyland Paris.
    In other words... it sucked.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• I also like Stitch!

Hi I'm new here, but I think this show was a piece of poop. It reminded me of a bad version of Dreams Within. Plus the only good part of the show was the second segment with the candy and cute characters. It was a cute show with a predictable storyline. Overall: 3/10

• Loves Mickey!

I think it's really well made with lots of dancers and a complex stage! We are really hoping to make it to Universal Japan for the 10th anniversary this year. Do they also do this show at night?
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

• Armchair Imagineer

From the beginning, it looked pretty good. Only if the could make it better, translate it into English, and have a clone in Orlando and/or Hollywood.
    A year that holds the challenge of truly bringing Earth into the 21st Century.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

What do I think?

Well its a pile of crap. A complete borefest from start to finish. The stunts were ill placed and I could not see myself sitting though almost 30 minutes of this trash. I had high hopes that Universal were going to put on a show to rival what is happening over at Tokyo DisneySea this year. Unfortunately what we have instead is very disapointing. With many of the park attractions looking dated Universal needed to pull of an E Ticket of a Stage Show. What we have instead is very absmal and further illustrates just how well Disney and the OLC Ent devision are at putting on some outstanding shows inside the Tokyo Parks.
    Last edited by Malin; 03-05-2011 at 08:31 AM.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    What do I think?

Well its a pile of crap. A complete borefest from start to finish. The stunts were ill placed and I could not see myself sitting though almost 30 minutes of this trash. I had high hopes that Universal were going to put on a show to rival what is happening over at Tokyo DisneySea this year. Unfortunately what we have instead is very disapointing. With many of the park attractions looking dated Universal needed to pull of an E Ticket of a Stage Show. What we have instead is very absmal and further illustrates just how well Disney and the OLC Ent devision are at putting on some outstanding shows inside the Tokyo Parks.
    Now tell us how you really feel! LOL

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

I like the music. But the show itself isn't that interesting.

Okay, so CLEARLY nobody in Japan has a concept of the "Balloon Toss" and keeps them to themselves, which I found odd, but I digress...

The show was cute. Yes, the storyline DID make me a little uncomfortable, but it was very nice when it wrapped up. The beginning was AMAZING, but it definitely took a weird turn. With the boy's dream, I was like WTF fire and water theme? THe Dinos and Delorian could have been used to GREAT effect, but they were thrown away. That Beetlejuice was the major male protagonist was disconcerting, they should have done, like, Marty McFly or Shrek or Spiderman. I really wish they utilized their monster arsenal to give the show an "evil" moment to be broken by the good guys (Jaws, Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman). The stunts were great, but could have been integrated into the story WAY better, especially considering all of the great male-oriented characters that could have used it (COME ON, rights to Spiderman Stunts!). I think the female story was cute, but it was a little weird figuring out that none of those properties are actually owned by Universal. I would have figured out some way to use that Space Queen character from the E.T. replacement ride, and DEFINITELY Woody Woodpecker. Finally, the Mom's thing was cute, but should have ended with the husband inside of the poppy balloon.

Overall, VERY cute... but the next one will be better.
    Do do do do do do dodododododo!

-My Electrical Parade Impersonation