Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Japan's Nuclear Crisis Has Resulted In Both Parks Closures For An Undetermined Time

Sources: LA Times and Disney & More

Disney/Oriental Land Company are each placing a higher priority on the safety of their employees than on keeping their respectively owned parks and Disney Stores open. All Disney properties operations will be suspended as of tomorrow, March 22. The projection is that they will not reopen for several weeks. At, this point, I would say that the worst case scenerio may result in the closures of Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo Disney Sea, and Disney Stores for months on end. With reports of radiation contamination of food in Japan, things are looking precariously scary for the time being.

A Disney media spokesperson in Burbank has affirmed that they "will continue to closely monitor the situation as it develops."
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Re: Japan's Nuclear Crisis Has Resulted In Both Parks Closures For An Undetermined T

Wow, that is horrible but I can understand the safety concerns.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Armchair Imagineer

Re: Japan's Nuclear Crisis Has Resulted In Both Parks Closures For An Undetermined T

The Oriental Land Company has always been smart with its money, but no amount of planning can anticipate this sequence of events -- earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear incident. Insurance is usually of no avail, since "acts of God" or "force majuere" provisions give the underwriters an easy out. This is going to be VERY costly for OLC, and I hope that they can survive.

Oh no! I thought the resort was already closed (that's what the official site said). But this is new? And we were so hoping to be able to go through with our travel plans for early May. Well, we'll keep hoping for the best. It seems rather selfish to worry about my vacation at a time like this, especially when all the people of Japan are struggling just to get by. I'm keeping them in my thoughts and will be sure to travel there soon as possible and do my little part to help support their economy as they rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda View Post
    Oh no! I thought the resort was already closed (that's what the official site said). But this is new?
    No, this is not new. It's sensationalist reporting. The closure of the parks has little to do with the nuclear crisis, other than in the sense that two nuclear plants that are having safety problems are offline, not producing power, and therefore are contributing to the power shortage. The power shortage would be happening with or without the cooling and containment failures at the nuclear plants, as several other power plants are damaged and offline, as are transmission systems that prevent other operating plants from getting their power to Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    The Oriental Land Company has always been smart with its money, but no amount of planning can anticipate this sequence of events -- earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear incident. Insurance is usually of no avail, since "acts of God" or "force majuere" provisions give the underwriters an easy out.
    Not necessarily true. There is such a thing as "interruption of business" insurance which covers situations exactly like this: the inability to operate due to unforeseen circumstances that are beyond the control of the business. If TDR had been damaged directly by the earthquake, then standard property insurance might have covered that situation.

But in this sort of situation, TDR is undamaged and ready to operate, and would be doing so if the power supply was normal. That's exactly the kind of situation that interruption of business insurance is designed to cover, even if it's a force majeure event (perhaps especially because). This sort of coverage would typically cover expenses that would ordinarily be covered by operation, and even lost profits. It might even cover the 60% salary that they're paying the CMs while closed, if OLC had the foresight to see that not maintaining the CM base during an extended closure could put resumption of business in jeopardy, and had the forethought to get coverage for it.

I have no idea of OLC actually has this sort of coverage, but it's not an uncommon type of coverage for a large business to have, especially in OLC's case where a) almost all of its revenue and profit comes from the operation of the resort, and b) the resort relies on external infrastructure (transportation, power, etc.) that must be operational for the resort to operate but which OLC has zero control over.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda View Post
    Oh no! I thought the resort was already closed (that's what the official site said). But this is new? And we were so hoping to be able to go through with our travel plans for early May. Well, we'll keep hoping for the best. It seems rather selfish to worry about my vacation at a time like this, especially when all the people of Japan are struggling just to get by. I'm keeping them in my thoughts and will be sure to travel there soon as possible and do my little part to help support their economy as they rebuild.
    You are a thoghtful and caring person. I feel so bad about all tha lives lost, and those left behing in grief. As for the resort, I would check with them regularly. It is evident that you will likely help some of the Japanese (thru your compassion and sympathy) when you are able to visit, Esmeralda..

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    The Oriental Land Company has always been smart with its money, but no amount of planning can anticipate this sequence of events -- earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear incident. Insurance is usually of no avail, since "acts of God" or "force majuere" provisions give the underwriters an easy out. This is going to be VERY costly for OLC, and I hope that they can survive.
    You could be right, Doctor. Let's hope not. Loss of wages could proove devastating to the rank and file non-salaried.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDry View Post
    Not necessarily true. There is such a thing as "interruption of business" insurance which covers situations exactly like this: the inability to operate due to unforeseen circumstances that are beyond the control of the business. If TDR had been damaged directly by the earthquake, then standard property insurance might have covered that situation.

But in this sort of situation, TDR is undamaged and ready to operate, and would be doing so if the power supply was normal. That's exactly the kind of situation that interruption of business insurance is designed to cover, even if it's a force majeure event (perhaps especially because). This sort of coverage would typically cover expenses that would ordinarily be covered by operation, and even lost profits. It might even cover the 60% salary that they're paying the CMs while closed, if OLC had the foresight to see that not maintaining the CM base during an extended closure could put resumption of business in jeopardy, and had the forethought to get coverage for it.

I have no idea of OLC actually has this sort of coverage, but it's not an uncommon type of coverage for a large business to have, especially in OLC's case where a) almost all of its revenue and profit comes from the operation of the resort, and b) the resort relies on external infrastructure (transportation, power, etc.) that must be operational for the resort to operate but which OLC has zero control over.
    I'll be hoping and praying that you are right that employees will be covered by insurance during the period they are not working.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    Wow, that is horrible but I can understand the safety concerns.

Better safe than sorry...especially where peoples health (and perhaps lives) are at stake.

• Banned User

Do you read any threads before you post one? I'm 90% sure you don't.

This is old news in the other threads and it definitely isn't directly because of the nuclear crisis. The bigger issue is the rolling black outs that prevents a stable power supply, just like what the OLC official press release stated 3 days ago.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Do you read any threads before you post one? I'm 90% sure you don't.

This is old news in the other threads and it definitely isn't directly because of the nuclear crisis. The bigger issue is the rolling black outs that prevents a stable power supply, just like what the OLC official press release stated 3 days ago.
    The nuclear crisis and the rolling black outs both contributed to disney's decision to shut down operations in Japan.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The Nuclear crisis has been greatly overeacted by people. Even in a worst case scenario the dangers to Tokyo would be modest. The closure of the parks have very little to do with whats happening in Fukushima. But think what you like since I have already managed to upset someone else on another forum by suggesting he's maybe exaggerating the risk and dangers involved. The crisis is serious but is being sorted out by a group of very brave people who the Japanese people owe a debt of gratitude to for risking there life's to calm and stabilize the Fukushima plant.

The closure of the Tokyo Disney Resort has nothing to do with the Nuclear crisis. Most people in Tokyo are now back at work getting on with there normal life's. Like others have said the real reason is the rolling power outages. Even when the radiation level went up in Tokyo last week the level was still at a safe level and a lot less than other big cities. A date has been announced for when the Resort is set to reopen, unfortunately OLC are not planning to publicly release it yet. But the decision was based on when it hoped to be able to recieve a more stable source of power to the Resort.

Re: Tokyo DISNEY resort now officially close indefinitely. (Merged threads)

Malin I applaud you for stating the facts. In fact it is very important always to be informed clearly before making any assumptions of the situation when you're not directly involved.

And i would like everyone to please not jump to any conclusions, or assume any thoughts about what is currently happening in Japan. There are a lot of people out there who need help right now, and there are a lot of people out there risking their lives to make sure help gets there. The parks are safe. The greater Tokyo area is safe. The crisis at the nuclear plant is being managed. Japan will pass this storm with the grace and respect that has made it such a great nation.

Remember that for the most part, news sites and papers are writing more to get your attention and secondly to state facts. They don't have to state the whole truth to satisfy curiosity. Just enough to entice you to come back. If any one source claims anything always research with other sources to see if it holds any merit.

Inform yourself and there is less reason to worry about sensationalized things and more reason to focus on the real issues at hand.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

In the sense that Fukushima supplied a lot of Japan's (and the metropolitan Tokyo area's) electricity, you could say that the destruction of the nuclear plant caused the closure of Tokyo Disney Resort.

People don't NEED to ride on Starjets to the extent that people NEED heat, light, refrigerated food and transportation to work to be running.

So until the electrical grid can supply electricity for essential needs, how can Disney use it for people to entertain themselves?

Think of how much it would cost to power up a SINGLE Disneyland attraction. More than our annual salary in a month, I bet.

• Banned User

Besides the threat of the Nuclear crisis, another problem is arising. The quake has made the ground more into liquefaction, and Mother Nature is making it known - Man made things never last. For one, why would anybody build anything on something that wasn't made to hold/house heavy structures, etc? Epic FAIL! Then again, that could be said for any scenario

Those familiar with Loma Prieta earthquake, the marine district of San Francisco is nothing but liquefaction ground. That area was once shoreline and filled land (even rubble discarded after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake) and it was a war zone after the quake. Even earthquake sound structures failed. Of course they rebuilt, and man never learns! Can you imagine the damage this resort would be, if the quake was centered in the area?

Tokyo Disneyland's Parking Lot Turned Swamp Shows Risk of Reclaimed Land

By Makiko Kitamura and Maki Shiraki - Mar 22, 2011 5:01 AM PT Tue Mar 22 12:01:50 GMT 2011

The quake triggered ground liquefaction, which causes soil to act like quicksand, across much of the 1,455 hectares (3,600 acres) of reclaimed land in Urayasu city, said Kazuhisa Nakatani, a local government spokesman. Photographer: Koki Nagahama/Getty Images

The district surrounding Tokyo Disneyland may have to reinforce reclaimed land housing 96,000 people after last week’s magnitude-9 earthquake turned the ground to mud, snapping utility pipes and tipping buildings.
    The quake triggered ground liquefaction, which causes soil to act like quicksand, across much of the 1,455 hectares (3,600 acres) of reclaimed land in Urayasu city, said Kazuhisa Nakatani, a local government spokesman. Some of Disneyland’s parking lot was also affected, trapping as many as 30 cars. The main park areas didn’t suffer as they sit on 15-meter (49-foot) deep reinforced foundations.

“There’s no question the earthquake damaged the area more than expected,” said Yasuhiko Hino, the head of urban disaster prevention projects at the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. Houses in the suburban district were most affected as they lack the concrete pilings that protected high- rise buildings, he said.
    Urayasu may consider reinforcing the reclaimed land, which makes up about three-quarters of its surface area, once it has finished dealing with emergency repairs following the March 11 earthquake, Nakatani said. At least one more runway at Tokyo’s Haneda Airport may also be strengthened to bolster defenses following the March 11 quake, the fifth largest ever recorded.

“I was very surprised there was land damage to an area like Urayasu, so far from the seismic center of the quake,” said Yasuo Tanaka, a professor of geotechnical engineering at Kobe University. “They should have been prepared for earthquakes, but given the damage, it clearly wasn’t enough.”
    Kobe Quake

Ground liquefaction caused many buildings to collapse in the 1995 Kobe quake, particularly around the port area, he said. Toughened regulations helped prevent failures in last week’s temblor, he said.
    The reclaimed land in Urayasu was built of mud and sand in the 15 years ended 1980. Reinforcing work could entail inserting pipes to extract water, installing steel piles or pouring in concrete, said Tanaka. Concrete would be the most expensive option, he said.

Any reinforcement work would require “a huge budget,” said Urayasu’s Nakatani. The city, bordering the eastern edge of Tokyo, is about 400 miles from the epicenter of the quake. The temblor and a subsequent tsunami may have killed more than 20,000 people in Japan’s northeastern Tohoku region, based on government figures.
    Haneda Airport

All four of the runways at Haneda, Asia’s second-busiest airport, were built on reclaimed land. None was damaged by the quake. At least one of the two unreinforced strips may be strengthened, said Keitaro Samizo, assistant to the head of the transport ministry’s aviation-planning division.

The last major earthquake to strike Tokyo and its environs directly was in 1923, when more than 140,000 people were killed. The city of about 13 million is adjacent to three major fault lines, including the Nankai Trough, which produces a large quake every 118.8 years on average. The last one, with a magnitude of 8.4, was in 1854.

Repair work on Disneyland’s car parks is almost finished, said Hiroshi Kitamura, a spokesman for operator Oriental Land Co. The park, which opened in 1983, has been closed since the temblor as Tokyo battles power shortages and transport disruption.

A Sapporo Holdings Ltd. (2501) beer-processing plant in Urayasu damaged in the quake also remains shut, spokesman Tatsuya Komatsu said today.

Shigeyuki Nishinoyama, 54, who lives on the second floor of a six-story block in Urayasu with his wife, said that the quake caused part of his building’s parking lot to collapse. There were no gas supplies until yesterday and the main waterpipe is still broken, leaving the couple without running water, he said.

Nishinoyama said he was warned about the risk of liquefaction when he bought the house and he has no plans to leave the area.

“I like the community and feel even closer to them after this ordeal,” he said.
    To contact the reporters on this story: Makiko Kitamura in Tokyo at [email protected]; Maki Shiraki in Tokyo at [email protected]
    Source: Tokyo Disneyland's Parking Lot Turned Swamp Shows Risk of Reclaimed Land - Bloomberg
    Last edited by JMora; 03-22-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast