Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Tokyo Disney Resort Anticipated to Reopen on April 1

Actually only 2.5 hours away on a Nozomi train!

Quote Originally Posted by asianbma View Post
    Did you guys realize the Universal Studios Japan is currently open since last week.

Anyway, it seems that Universal Studios Japan is about 7 hours away from Tokyo Disney.
    http://www.wdwip.com: The Walt Disney World International Programs Website

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    examples:

yesterday on CNN and others: even tho some power restored the reactors are too damaged for it to make a difference, the pumps are destroyed and there is still meltdown possible heres' a direct quote from Japanese at the plant
    "the situation is more serious than we thought".

In todays news yeah just go to cnn.com its on the front page: Unsafe radiation levels in Tokyo Tap water.

I dont need to provide links to each statement all YOU need to do is spend a few minutes trying to be informed.
    There's your problem, you're relying on sensationalist U.S. media for your information.

It's much better to look at NHK for information, it's much more unbiased and they aren't competing for people to view them like other networks.
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

I've been active reading posts but this is my first post so please be easy on me

We're booked at the Sheraton Tokyo Bay and I called them to inquire about hotel openings and canceling our reservation (since we booked non-refundable). The person I spoke to was very polite and understanding ... which made it more difficult for me to tell her that we're all pulling for them and that things would be ok. She said it most likely looks like April will be the month but she isn't sure and that we could cancel anytime up to 2 days before our arranged stay.

Just now I checked the Sheraton website and it seems to imply that Disney will be open April 1st.
    Sheraton Urayasu Hotels: Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel - Hotel Rooms at sheraton

I'm pulling for japan and hope that things will be under control and everyone can get to rebuilding and going on with their lives.

Why dont you try looking at the daily news for a few mins EVERYTHING i have stated is in the news,

examples:

yesterday on CNN and others: even tho some power restored the reactors are too damaged for it to make a difference, the pumps are destroyed and there is still meltdown possible heres' a direct quote from Japanese at the plant
    "the situation is more serious than we thought".

In todays news yeah just go to cnn.com its on the front page: Unsafe radiation levels in Tokyo Tap water.

I dont need to provide links to each statement all YOU need to do is spend a few minutes trying to be informed.
    I am a native Japanese and I read Japanese news websites and watch NHK news every day, multiple times a day. I have to say American media reports are overly dramatized and exaggerated (in a negative way). Most of things you listed have some truth to them, but they are just too extreme. Many parks in Tokyo area are already reopened with modified hours. Many threads in Japanese Disney related discussion boards are about waiting for the parks to reopen. It's great to know that you are concerned about Japan so you are checking the news but if you want to know the real, up to date information on Japan, NHK is the place to go.
    NHK WORLD English

• враг народа

Blog Entries

6. All the tourists have left and none are planning to return all countries still officially recommend no travel to japan.
    7. Japan is currently on voluntary evacuation status with u.s.
    8. None of the japanese are going to want to go to a Disney park when so many family members, friends and countrymen have died and thousands of corpses are unburied not to mention all the ones floating around in the sea.
    9. the country is in a state of shock.
    Aside from the ridiculous nuclear hyperbole, the vast majority of visitors to the Tokyo Disney Resort are from Japan. Life has not come to a halt, people are moving forward and that included doing things like going to theme parks, which a part of the economy and ultimately do contribute to rebuilding and moving forward.

• The Darkness to Light

One of my friend in Japan who has been using Twitter to update us on his personal situation has changed focus to updating the news on the nuclear plant due to his dissatisfaction as to how the West is covering it.

He says that everything is fine and they are slowly re-connecting the plants to the grid. The last major update he posted was that there's small levels of radiation polluting the tap water and that 2 of the 50 workers that have been recently declaired as national heroes have been confirmed to have radiation burns due to exposure of Beta rays.

It sounds like everything is slowly coming back to normal. Well, outside of the water, that is...
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    He says that everything is fine and they are slowly re-connecting the plants to the grid.
    Just to be clear: it's my understanding that in doing so, they mean that the plants are drawing grid power to operate the cooling and control systems, not that any of these reactors (even potentially undamaged ones at the affected plants) are actually operating to supply power TO the grid.

• Pilot EdForceOne

It's information being exaggerated

Meltdown? This is true. The reason you had the hydrogen explosions in the first place was the fuel cladding failing and reacting with the water. There is no doubt these reactions have had fuel failures (which is what a meltdown is). But what has not happened is containment failures of those reactors. The spent fuel pools were a greater problem and a large source of the radiation until they've gotten those control more recently.

The reactors never had a runaway situation (which is the stereotypical nuclear accident in fiction) - it has always been an issue of cooling heat from the residual fission byproducts decaying (which can be 7% of the normal output of the plant!). That heat if not controlled can lead to a failure of fuel rods (happened - and is also what happened at TMI) and if not controlled, can lead to containment failure.. where those fission byproducts are released to the environment. That hasn't happened in the reactors.

While there is radioactive containmentation turning up in food, water, measured elsewhere, etc - it is exactly what it says 'measured'. It does not mean implicitly that there is a health risk.

Unlike GothicManor would infer - Japan hasn't shutdown. Japan can't AFFORD to shutdown. When plants don't run... people don't have jobs. When people don't have jobs... they don't have money. When companies don't have product to sell.. the government doesn't have income.

Most of the evacuations were because of the ESCALATING problems at the plant. Those problems are no longer escalating. Now we are dealing with the residual impact of what has happened till now.

What is important now is people understanding the cumulative effects of longer term exposure.

While I don't expect tourists to be flocking to Tokyo from outside the country - Japan itself continues to operate and Japan itself uses parks, facilities, etc.

Plus, the employees of OLC need work - not layoffs.

This chart puts some perspective on the radiation amounts - http://www.xkcd.com/radiation/
    Last edited by flynnibus; 03-24-2011 at 09:04 AM.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It's information being exaggerated

Meltdown? This is true. The reason you had the hydrogen explosions in the first place was the fuel cladding failing and reacting with the water. There is no doubt these reactions have had fuel failures (which is what a meltdown is). But what has not happened is containment failures of those reactors. The spent fuel pools were a greater problem and a large source of the radiation until they've gotten those control more recently.

/
    Although I understand the technical definition completely, there's a huge difference between the technical definition of a "meltdown" and the the popular connotation.

Anyway, thanks for writing your post. Hopefully, it helps people understand this better.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Ugh. I'm getting kind of sick of this nuclear debate and back-and-forth. The OLC is located in Japan. Therefore, they will have a better grasp of the actual situation going on in the country than the rest of us behind our keyboards thousands of miles away can only assume through media reports. When and how OLC reopens the Tokyo Disney Resort will be reflective of what's REALLY going on in Japan as far as recovery and/or crisis of any sort is concerned.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDry View Post
    Just to be clear: it's my understanding that in doing so, they mean that the plants are drawing grid power to operate the cooling and control systems, not that any of these reactors (even potentially undamaged ones at the affected plants) are actually operating to supply power TO the grid.
    Well, this is the confusing part of his update. When they connected one of the reactors to the grid, he also said that the rolling blackouts weren't going to be scheduled that day. Then a few days later, he reported having been sent home early due to the rolling blackouts.

So I don't know exactly what is meant by "hooking it back to the grid" other than "turning the power back on."

That being said, he is also an anime otaku, and at one point he said that Japan actually made Operation Yashima a reality. When I looked that up, I was just speachless that it had to come just to generate electricity.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Well, this is the confusing part of his update. When they connected one of the reactors to the grid, he also said that the rolling blackouts weren't going to be scheduled that day. Then a few days later, he reported having been sent home early due to the rolling blackouts.
    There sure is a lot of confusion going on out there. It's frustrating trying to get to the bottom of exactly what is happened. Part of the problem for us is that most of the source material is in Japanese, and what gets translated into English is often of very general nature, second-hand, and sometimes incorrect.

There have been several days without rolling blackouts necessary since the earthquake, due to a variety of factors: holidays, weekends, weather, etc. Perhaps one of these no-blackout days happened to coincide with the day that the nuclear plant "was reconnected to the grid" and someone drew a false conclusion that this meant it was supplying power to the grid.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The Fukushima nuclear plant will likely never operate again. The site had 6 reactors - which was a HUGE plant. Most plants here have 2-3 reactors per location. They basically killed the plant when they had to resort to seawater to try to cool it.

The plant needs electricity to run itself - and when all the reactors went into shutdown, plus the damage from the tsunami - it had no power to run the control and cooling systems. The plant went on emergency battery power when it's diesel generators failed to come on - but that power only lasted 8hrs. Then with no power, cooling was inadequate.

What your friend is referring to is TEPCO (Tokyo Power Company) has been working to bring emergency power connections to the site by running new power lines to the site (literally having to bulldoze a path, etc). Since the weekend they've been working to get power to the site and start bringing the control and cooling systems back online with power.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Ikspiari to Re-open on March 28th

OLC has announced that Ikspiari will re-open on March 28th with limited business hours. No word on the parks or Disney hotels yet.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Re: Ikspiari to Re-open on March 28th

well that is a start at least...

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast