Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Just another Disney fan..

Re: Tokyo Disney Resort Anticipated to Reopen on April 1

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    Well, with reports not that there is radioactive sea water, I can only assume that some of the water used in TDS is from SOME kind of plumbing network, possibly the same one that help spread the radioactive tap water. Which can only mean that the filtration plants are also seeing some radiation (or at least my logic dictates that given the fact that it is in both the sewage and drinking water in some amount).
    That's a big assumption, and radition in SEA water 160 miles away does not mean FRESH water used at TDR is some how connected.

I'm happy at least you admit it is your assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    You can filter oil and the other nasties out of the water, but clearly you can't filter radiation.
    Directly from the World Health Organization website..

Can radioactive contamination be removed from water?

• Standard water treatment procedures may remove significant amounts of radioactive contaminants. Other options to reduce concentrations of radiation contaminants include controlled dilution of contaminated water with non-contaminated water.
    • Boiling water will not remove radioactive iodine.
    WHO | FAQs: Japan nuclear concerns

In such serious times, the responsible thing to do is share accurate information.

Quote Originally Posted by jrh1985 View Post
    What are the dates for Golden Week? (I hope it's after 4/23!!!) I thought Golden Week was a HKDL thing?
    From Japan-guide.com
    'The Golden Week is a collection of four national holidays within seven days. In combination with well placed weekends, the Golden Week becomes one of Japan's three busiest holiday seasons, besides New Year and the Obon week....

The national holidays making up the Golden Week are:
    • April 29
      Showa Day (Showa no hi):
      April 29 is the birthday of former Emperor Showa, who died in the year 1989. Until 2006, Greenery Day (see May 4) used to be celebrated on this day.
    • May 3
      Constitution Day (Kenpo kinenbi):
      On this day in 1947, the new post war constitution was put into effect.
    • May 4
      Greenery Day (Midori no hi):
      Until 2006, Greenery Day used to be celebrated on April 29, the birthday of former Emperor Showa. The day is dedicated to the environment and nature, because the emperor loved plants and nature. Before being declared Greenery Day, May 4 used to be a national holiday due to a law, which declares a day, that falls between two national holidays, a national holiday.
    • May 5
      Children's Day (Kodomo no hi):
      The Boy's Festival (Tango no Sekku) is celebrated on this day. Families pray for the health and future success of their sons by hanging up carp streamers and displaying samurai dolls, both symbolizing strength, power and success in life. The Girl's Festival, by the way, is celebrated on March 3.
    In 2011, weekends are unfavorably placed to create two separate holidays of three days each. Travel activity is anticipated to peak on April 29 and May 3 with people leaving the large urban centers and on May 1 and 5 in the opposite direction.
    Golden Week

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    I've heard that after the resort reopens for Golden Week, it will close again until mid June.
    NO!!!!!
    I was planning to cancel original plan (4/25, 26 & 27 in TDR) due to the unknown reopening date, and to change to 5/17, 18 & 19 in TDR...

I have to visit my family anyway so I can't really cancel the whole trip. Don't know when I can finalize my plan........

• Pilot EdForceOne

The issue now is the plants are still unstable - and there are fears that the reactor core in at least one unit has been breached. The extremely high radiation water in the plant is coming from somewhere and likely is from the reactor vessel.

It slows them from being able to work in the area and truly get the plants to a long term stable condition where the uncertainty for the larger area can be closed. Localized - its going to take many years to get to normal - but if they can get the plants contained, there won't be additional risks of larger radiation releases outside the complex and immediate area.

Unfortunately this last week has been more bad news then good. But that is to be expected a bit as people get 'inside' and can actually start inspecting what is happening in the reactor areas themselves.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Bummer. 4/1 reopening looks like a no go... (already past 5 day notification) :-(

• Resident of the Caldera

Honor Hunter over at Blue Sky Disney is reporting that the earliest the Tokyo Disney Resort might reopen is summer, but has heard rumors that it might be a year (though he doubts that).

• Closed Account

I think it should be time to let the country grieve and repair before we get upset the damn park is closed, for God's sake guys...there's other Disney parks in the world you can go to right now if you HAVE to. I see selfishness in this whole thing..relax!

Just fininshed talking to a friend who lives within ear-shot of TDR.

While hanging up her laundry, she could hear the Easter Parade music coming from the park. She also told me that the recent re-partitioning of the power outage areas into 25 smaller districts has put Maihama on the exempt list.

None of this is a definative indicator that the parks will be re-opening in the near future, but it sure doesn't seem like they are planning on keeping the parks closed until summer or for a whole year.

My GUESS is that the parks will re-open withing a month and that they probably will do so on a limited operating schedule. I'm GUESSING maybe 9 AM- 6 PM. This would allow for many of the CMs to get back to work, even if it means reduced hours. It would also provide a badly needed distraction and source of joy for the many people who have been enduring day after day of hardship, stress, and bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post

While hanging up her laundry, she could hear the Easter Parade music coming from the park. She also told me that the recent re-partitioning of the power outage areas into 25 smaller districts has put Maihama on the exempt list.
    I'm pretty sure TDR is still in the list of the 25 districs. Maihama 2 chome, 3 chome, Maihama statation plaza area and Undo park are now all in the exempt list, but TDR is not within those specified areas... DeepDisney was also discussing that TDR is not within the exemption list. But I hope I'm wrong...

According to the official site for TEPCO, Maihama (Urayasu City) is listed as being in Group 5-C under the new power stoppage divisions. And the 5-C group is in the rotation of locations for blackouts along with various other communities in Chiba Prefecture.

For what it's worth, the area of the prefecture where Narita International Airport (Furugome, Narita City) is located is not listed in the TEPCO blackout list, for obvious reasons.

However, my area north of Tokyo is in two groups, 2-C and 4-C, and we haven't had any blackouts at all. Go figure.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Peaches and Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I think it should be time to let the country grieve and repair before we get upset the damn park is closed, for God's sake guys...there's other Disney parks in the world you can go to right now if you HAVE to. I see selfishness in this whole thing..relax!
    I'm so sick of seeing people like you bashing us for being concerned about the parks. I watched the destruction happening on NHK's website and my initial thought was definitely not the condition of the parks. That came later. it's been more than 2 weeks since it happened and although the tragedy is no less horrible for the people involved in it, you are putting an unreasonable expectation on us to act as if this just happened yesterday. People like you are looking for a way to feel good about yourselves by giving us this holier than though lecture and its really starting to piss me off.

And another thing THERE IS NO OTHER RESORT LIKE THE TDR so don't give me that crap.

I'm going back to lurking so don't expect a response if you snap back.

None of this is a definative indicator that the parks will be re-opening in the near future, but it sure doesn't seem like they are planning on keeping the parks closed until summer or for a whole year.

My GUESS is that the parks will re-open withing a month and that they probably will do so on a limited operating schedule. I'm GUESSING maybe 9 AM- 6 PM. This would allow for many of the CMs to get back to work, even if it means reduced hours. It would also provide a badly needed distraction and source of joy for the many people who have been enduring day after day of hardship, stress, and bad news.
    Well, at least that means that TDR plans to reopen before Easter Wonderland ends. (Easter Wonderland goes from 4/1-6/30 2011)

Exclamation TDR Status of Structures and Facilities

Current Status of Structures and Facilities at Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea

Neither Tokyo Disneyland nor Tokyo DisneySea experienced major damage from the recent earthquakes. Some pathways inside the Parks had cracks that have since been repaired. However, they did not affect safety in the Parks. It would be possible to open the Parks in their current condition. A section of the parking lot was subjected to soil liquefaction. Gravel has been used to repair these areas and they are now suitable for use.

Other Resort facilities, such as Disney-brand hotels, Ikspiari, Cirque du Soleil Theatre Tokyo and Disney Resort Line experienced no major damage (Ikspiari opened for business on March 28th).

More detailed information and photos in my News Page:
    http://www.jtcent.com/extras/news/news_110328.html
    JoeInJpn

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    According to the official site for TEPCO, Maihama (Urayasu City) is listed as being in Group 5-C under the new power stoppage divisions. And the 5-C group is in the rotation of locations for blackouts along with various other communities in Chiba Prefecture
    And, separate from Maihama, there's an entry for Tokyo Disneyland Resort that lists it as group 5-C, so I interpret that as the resort not being exempt. But, the schedule is published as being effective only for this week. So, there may be some future point at which TDR is exempt from the blackouts but it's just not on the published schedule yet.

I've been thinking about the blackouts in terms of what it means for the parks and getting them up and running again. One thing is that there apparently is not the need to have blackouts at all on the weekends, since so much commercial and industrial users are idle. Plus, on most weekdays, each section is subject to a single blackout period. Perhaps OLC could negotiate some sort of special timing of its blackouts such that it could be open during the daytime only on weekdays, or perhaps afternoons/evenings only on weekdays, plus regular hours on weekends. Under such a plan, it would contribute to reduced load as much as any other user, but could do so in a way that would allow the resort to operate in a limited fashion. I'm sure brighter minds than mine at OLC are all over this and many other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDry View Post
    And, separate from Maihama, there's an entry for Tokyo Disneyland Resort that lists it as group 5-C, so I interpret that as the resort not being exempt. But, the schedule is published as being effective only for this week. So, there may be some future point at which TDR is exempt from the blackouts but it's just not on the published schedule yet.
    And here is a map from the City of Urayasu website. The areas in white are exempt, while the areas in pink are included in the blackout schedule. TDR is the pink area in the lower left side of the map.

JoeInJpn

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast