Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Tokyo Disney Resort Anticipated to Reopen on April 1

Is it just me, or is opening the resort on April Fool's Day just asking for more bad karma? Any other day, would help give the local enconmy a good shot in the arm. Just don't reopen the nuclear power plants.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Is it just me, or is opening the resort on April Fool's Day just asking for more bad karma? Any other day, would help give the local enconmy a good shot in the arm. Just don't reopen the nuclear power plants.
    That date, as far as I know, has been pushed back.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The date was when the Easter Event was meant to start. I doubt many will be in the mood for pratical jokes today. I think bad Karma could be opening it on Friday the 13th. Out of interest how is April Fools day marked in Japan?

April Fools day is popular in Japan too.

I was reading a Japanese news site about the possible TDR reopening and I was surprised that majority of comments on that news was against the reopening - at least not this soon. They don't think it's fair for people living in that area who has to go through planned power outages while Disney spends most of energy those people saved. Also, Tokyo dome was not OK to open but why TDR is OK to open while it uses 10 times the power...

OLC has a long way to solve the power problem...

• Banned User

I was reading a Japanese news site about the possible TDR reopening and I was surprised that majority of comments on that news was against the reopening - at least not this soon. They don't think it's fair for people living in that area who has to go through planned power outages while Disney spends most of energy those people saved. Also, Tokyo dome was not OK to open but why TDR is OK to open while it uses 10 times the power...
    While I would say everyone leaving comments does have a point. I also think is an unrealistic expectation to expect the Resort to stay closed when these power outages may last for months. Looking at the latest attendance figures we have already seen how much of an impact being closed for just a few weeks has had on the numbers. The Resort is a massive employer to hundreds of Cast Members. How long is the Resort expected to keep everyone in employment if its not making any money. I have heard that Cast Members are still being paid 60% of wages. That money has to come from somewhere. Also a 40% drop in wages for the Cast Members themselves who are already on a minimum wage is a steep decline. Especially if your paying the rent, food and other bills out of that money.

I totally understand the economic/business point of view, but Public sentiment is everything in Japan. Damm if you reopen, damm if you don't...

• Banned User

It is a no win situation. But I think the OLC has been good to the people of Urayasu since the Earthquake by allowing them to use water from the parks for emergency use. And the donation made to the residents who were badly affected by the disaster on March 11th. In the short-term future I think the decision to open will cause a lot of anger for some. But when everything is back up and running like normal. Attention will turn away and focus more on Tepco and its handling of the entire crisis.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567