• Just another Disney fan..

World Health Organization (WHO) Information on Japan Nuclear Concerns

I wanted to share this very straight foward, sensible and non-sensationalized information on the current nuclear concerns in Japan.

The news media as well as all the amature news "reporters" have been sharing a lot of incomplete, inaccurate, or sensationalized accounts of the nuclear crisis.

While the situation continues to be very serious, the situation needs to be put into its proper context.

Reading what the World Health Organization has to say can really help put things into their proper context. Those who want to hype and sensationalize things will still read into this what they want, but I thought I'd let everyone read and decide for themselves.

WHO | FAQs: Japan nuclear concerns

Here are some excerpts...
    Is there a risk of radioactive exposure from food contamination?

• Yes, there is a risk of exposure as a result of contamination in food.
    • However, contaminated food would have to be consumed over prolonged periods to represent a risk to human health.
    • The presence of radioactivity in some vegetables and milk has been confirmed and some of the initial food monitoring results show radioactive iodine detected in concentrations above Japanese regulatory limits. Radioactive caesium has also been detected.
    • Local government authorities have advised residents to avoid these food and have implemented measures to prevent their sale and distribution
    What is the WHO travel advice for Japan?

• At this time, WHO is not advising general restrictions on travel to Japan.
    • However, travellers should avoid travel to the areas most affected by the earthquake and tsunami because of disruptions to essential services, such as transport and electric power. The ongoing disaster relief activities, including the nuclear power plant emergency response and control activities, will make travel difficult and could consume resources needed by relief worker and residents. Moreover, as indicated by the Japanese authorities, travel within the evacuation and exclusion zones surrounding the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is currently prohibited.
    • In general, travellers who do not have essential reasons to travel should give careful consideration to deferring travel to any areas where there has been considerable disruption to the normal infrastructure and where authorities are responding to urgent humanitarian needs.

Re: World Health Organization (WHO) Information on Japan Nuclear Concerns

How dare you post that stuff, Roger55. How are people going to continue in their hysteria if they have the facts?

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    I wanted to share this very straight foward, sensible and non-sensationalized information on the current nuclear concerns in Japan.

The news media as well as all the amature news "reporters" have been sharing a lot of incomplete, inaccurate, or sensationalized accounts of the nuclear crisis.

While the situation continues to be very serious, the situation needs to be put into its proper context.
    I'd also like to contribute. The U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE has this warning, from March 21, 2011. It is the most recent notice as of 2/29/2011.

"The State Department strongly urges U.S. citizens to defer travel to Japan at this time and those in Japan should consider departing."

From: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_5398.html

Also, when you read or hear the press announcements from TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company), keep in mind that they have a history of cover-ups regarding their nuclear power plants. Do any search on Google for "Tepco scandal" or even just "Tepco history", and you'll think twice before you trust them completely. "Systematic false reporting" and other incidents were revealed in 2002 and even as recently as 2007.

In the words of TEPCO, "it is unconfirmed" and "it is possible" come up a lot. They do not know the full status of the nuclear situation, so in my opinion, it is currently best to avoid travel to Japan.

I do not think the World Health Organization is the end-all source for travel advice, and would further research things myself.

• Just another Disney fan..

Your quote

""The State Department strongly urges U.S. citizens to defer travel to Japan at this time and those in Japan should consider departing."

Is from March 17th.That is nearly two weeks old.

The last update of that State Department travel warning is March 21st. That is also over one week old.

Even if the March 21st warning is valid and true, it say...

"Consistent with the NRC guidelines that would apply to such a situation in the United States, we are recommending, as a precaution, that U.S. citizens within 50 miles (80 kilometers) of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant evacuate the area or to take shelter indoors if safe evacuation is not practical."

If the situation as worsend since a week ago, why hasn't the US State Department updated their warning notice?

Your quote...

In the words of TEPCO, "it is unconfirmed" and "it is possible" come up a lot. They do not know the full status of the nuclear situation, so in my opinion, it is currently best to avoid travel to Japan.
    I do not disagree with your assessment of the situation. However I do not agree with your opinion to avoid travel to Japan. In my opinion, lumping all of Japan together as a place to avoid is a bit much.

Thanks for the link. It does provide more sensible and straight forward information coming directly from the US government. I recommend everyone who wants to make their own call on travelling to Japan should read it. Just note that the information as of now is one week old and hasn't been updated.

Like I said in my original post...

Those who want to hype and sensationalize things will still read into this what they want, but I thought I'd let everyone read and decide for themselves.
    The link you shared does help people to decide for themselves.
    Last edited by Roger55; 03-29-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: It appears I can't spell or type :(

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Japan is a very Large country Kyoto and Osaka and many other hot tourist spots are not at risk and shouldn't be lumped with the areas that are most affected by the disaster. its like saying because a hurricane happened in new orleans I am not going to visit florida. Visit Japan by spending dollars or yen you are helping the country improve its image and getting the economy to move towards a recovery

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    Your quote

""The State Department strongly urges U.S. citizens to defer travel to Japan at this time and those in Japan should consider departing."

Is from March 17th.That is nearly two weeks old.

The last update of that State Department travel warning is March 21st. That is also over one week old.

Even if the March 21st warning is valid and true, it say...

"Consistent with the NRC guidelines that would apply to such a situation in the United States, we are recommending, as a precaution, that U.S. citizens within 50 miles (80 kilometers) of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant evacuate the area or to take shelter indoors if safe evacuation is not practical."

If the situation as worsend since a week ago, why hasn't the US State Department updated their warning notice?
    First, I did not say the situation has worsened since a week ago.

The warning remained in their March 21st notice, indicating that it is still valid on their list of concerns. If it was no longer of a concern, they would have removed it from the March 21st notice. And a warning that is a week old is still valid. The US State Department issues updates as they see fit.

True, if you travel to the south, such as Okinawa, things should be fine. Not all of Japan is in the same situation.

lighttragic: New Orleans is actually pretty close to the border of Florida. (And for reference, Japan is slightly smaller than the state of California in terms of area.)

Myself, I would have been in Tokyo right now if the earthquake hadn't happened. But with rolling blackouts, reduced transportation services, and stores/food outlets operating with reduced supply, I figured it would be better for me to delay my trip, not only to avoid the inconvenience, but also to avoid any potential burden I would place on them as they work to return to normal operations.

I would take anything the WHO say with a grain of salt (or iodine in this case). They also reported that only 4000 died as a result of Chernobyl when the real result is 1 million and growing.