• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Why is Bon Voyage still closed?

Now I can understand why the Parks are still closed. I also see the reason behind reopening Ikspiari and the Resort Line. But what I can't understand is why has Bon Voyage not reopen with the rest of Ikspiari. I would think some would take the opportunity to take a couple of hours out to visit the Resort and pick up some of the official Resort merchandise. In fact many visit Bon Voyage without ever visiting the parks. It doesn't seem to make much sense to me right now.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Re: Why is Bon Voyage still closed?

My guess.....

Bon Voyage is part of the park operation, Ikspiari is not.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

That is always possible but a lot of the park opperations are continuing. JoeInJpn's videos showed a lot of Cast Members still working and walking about the parks. So a lot of Cast Members have been called back to work already. Would it not be possible for OLC to call in a few of its Cast Members to reopen the shop for a few hours.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

The cast that is back is maintenance, entertainment, and select leadership. Opening Voyage would not be profitable without the guest flow coming and going from the parks.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

I agree with what your saying Travis about the flow of Guests to and from the park. But for me I would not rule out it making a bit of profit. The venue is un used while the Cast are at home being paid a reported 60% of wages. So its already loosing money being closed. Why not request that some come in for work. You may not see crowds show up in big numbers. Still it would appeal I think to many already shopping in Ikspiari and riding the Resort line. Not only that but several do visit Bon Voyage each day anyway without ever stepping foot inside Tokyo Disneyland. Since it offers a service where people can buy park merchandise without the need to buy a Park Ticket.

• Just another Disney fan..

Operations of a merchandise location would also include all the support activities to be active.

Some include...

1) Costuming
    2) Scheduling
    3) Finance and Point of Sales infrastructionre (i.e. cash handling, register operation, credit card support, etc.)
    4) Receiving, warehouseing and distribution of merchandise

I think the most visible and easies thing to do is bring back some CMs to work the store. It is all the support functions that are part of park operations that are more difficult to bring back on a limited basis. Starting up all the above functions, plus those I've neglected to mention and are necessary, just to operate one store does not make sense.

That said, having it open would be nice.

Actually, it just opened today (Japan time 4/5).

Japanese site

Quote Originally Posted by voleball View Post
    Actually, it just opened today (Japan time 4/5).

Japanese site
    Thanks for the link!

How exciting! Even though the webpage says it will operate on limited hours, the re-opening of BV along with the Resort Line starting up sure is starting to point to a re-opening of the parks in the near future.

I have friends that are really hoping this happens as soon as possible. Without work, they are contemplating trying to find a new job. If this goes on too long, TDR will have a shortage of CMs when it decides it can re-open.

• Banned User

Its great to see Bon Voyage has reopen. I suspect the reason why it didn't reopen along with the Resort Line and Ikspiari earlier may have been the valid points that Roger brought up. If OLC has sense it will have already filled shelves up with the Easter merchandise. That would I think bring in several die-hard fans. The limited hours make perfect sense since it would be pointless if the store open usual buisness hours 10-23.

I have friends that are really hoping this happens as soon as possible. Without work, they are contemplating trying to find a new job. If this goes on too long, TDR will have a shortage of CMs when it decides it can re-open.
    This maybe is what the OLC is secretly hoping will happen. If the reports of reduced parks hours and fears of people staying home turns out to come true. OLC is going to have to change its current buisness outlook. If a long-term decline in takings was to happen. The company is going to have to consider some cutbacks. For instance shorter hours could mean fewer Cast Members will be needed. No public company wants to lay off workers. Its not only a sign of poor performance but also bad publicity.

One plus is that many of the Cast Members are very bright and well educated and work at Disney because of love for the place and product. A lot of them could be sat in an office earning much more money. So if many did decide to leave for another job. I am certain they would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    A lot of them could be sat in an office earning much more money. So if many did decide to leave for another job. I am certain they would be ok.
    Who would be OK? TDR or the CMs that went to find new work?

I know that TDR could still operate with less CMs and provide less Guest services. Then it could be called WDW!

Some updated info on Bon Voyage.

Friend of mine went yesterday. Although open, the store has not received any of the new Easter merchandise. It appears they are just selling whatever merchandise that was in the stores at the time of the earthquake. I'm guessing that they either don't have the infrastructure in place to get fresh supplies of merchandise to the store, or the merchandise itself has not made it to the resort. Store lighting has been cut back to help conserve electricity, so it appears very dark inside.

Another friend of mine who works for one of the export companies that supply goods and merchandise to TDR told me that due to problems with operations at the shipping ports of Japan, some of their shipments to OLC/TDR had been diverted to Osaka, and some sent to Hong Kong. The shipments were to be held there until they could arrange for them to be received in Tokyo.

• Resident of the Caldera

Considering how often I see the castmembers restocking shelves in the shops, I would imagine OLC would require an almost constant stream of merchandise in order to keep the shops stocked. Even with an enormous warehouse (or many enormous warehouses) they would quickly run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Considering how often I see the castmembers restocking shelves in the shops, I would imagine OLC would require an almost constant stream of merchandise in order to keep the shops stocked. Even with an enormous warehouse (or many enormous warehouses) they would quickly run out.
    The most obvious example of that is the gift shop at Hunny Hunt. I've marveled at the operation of that place, both in terms of how they restock it continuously, and how much money they must make off of it. I can only imagine that the POS system is busy printing restock tickets in the back room whenever floor stock of a particular item falls below a certain threshold, and then a CM quickly picks the order from the nearby stockroom and then replenishes the floor stock. Some items in that store might be "sold out" within an hour if it were not for this continual process. Now that I consider it, I can't think of another retail operation that I've ever seen that has quite that level of constant stock replenishment.

• Banned User

Another friend of mine who works for one of the export companies that supply goods and merchandise to TDR told me that due to problems with operations at the shipping ports of Japan, some of their shipments to OLC/TDR had been diverted to Osaka, and some sent to Hong Kong. The shipments were to be held there until they could arrange for them to be received in Tokyo.
    Interesting so the Resort might be experiencing some delays with supply's to the Resort. Merchandise has to be a big worry for them right now. It has to be they main source of revenue. I doubt the Resort makes much money from attendance once you factor in staffing, maintenance, special events and Disney's share of the takings. The real profit has to be made on Merchandise and so it will be very important to have plenty of stock on hand for the reopening.

Store lighting has been cut back to help conserve electricity, so it appears very dark inside.
    This I would imagine will be rolled out to all stores once Tokyo Disneyland does reopen. I also wonder if any stores will remain closed to save on energy efforts. And maybe even some attractions will be forced to turn lights out when needed. The Monster Inc attraction will be an interesting one to review. Since some of the attraction storyline is about providing power to monstropolis which may be a little in appropriate considering Tokyo's real life energy problem right now.

I know that TDR could still operate with less CMs and provide less Guest services. Then it could be called WDW!
    No not TDR. I'm to use to being served on hand and foot at that park. When was the last time a WDW Cast Member took your counter service meal to a table for you?