Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Should Tokyo DisneySea stay closed for now?

With reports of Tokyo's energy crisis extending into Summer. And the fact that even the suggestion of the parks reopening is bringing criticism. Should OLC consider a compromise and meet the criticism half way and only reopen the one park for now. Tokyo Disneyland has a greater ride capacity to DisneySea and has always appeared to be the most popular out of the two parks. With the date of the launch for its 10th Anniversary in question and Tokyo Disneyland ready for its Easter Event. Should OLC reopen Tokyo Disneyland and keep Tokyo DisneySea closed until the current crisis calms down a bit more. It could move DisneySea Cast Members over to Tokyo Disneyland and the hotels to help out with the higher demand. Such a move would I think result in them saving power by between 35- 40%. The only real loss in themepark revenue would be Duffy. But his merchandise lines and walk about Character could move tempory over to the other park for now. OLC could also agree to grant everyone with a pre dated DisneySea ticket access to Tokyo Disneyland instead. And could make the same exception for Guests who have a DisneySea Annual Passport. Would the demand to have two parks open exist right now anyway?

What do you think?

Re: Should Tokyo DisneySea stay closed for now?

I have a feeling that they would open Tokyo Disneyland initially, followed by DisneySea slightly later or only at the weekends. That would show some level of compromise, which would help satisfy those with misgivings about them opening. At the same time it would enable those who have already booked to at least enjoy something. It would also allow them to 'test the market' - and give them the option of opening DisneySea sooner if they could see (and prove to the public) that there was demand.

• Just another Disney fan..

I think both will open at the same time when appropriate. I don't see what would be wrong with that. If it isn't appropriate for both parks to be open, I don't see how opening just one makes any difference in perception.

Having all the CMs that depend on TDS being open sitting and waiting while their fellow CMs work at TDL would be even a bigger blunder IMO. All the CMs should have the opportunity to return to work at the same time.

Both parks operating with reduced hours is the best approach IMO.

• Resident of the Caldera

If the trains and busses are running and the CMs and customers can get there, then they should resume full operations at both parks as soon as they can do so without fear of loss of electricity.

The cast members would probably like to return to their jobs, and there are probably a lot of people who could do with a day at the parks as a way of relieving tension and anxiety. Resuming business would be a healthy thing.
    Last edited by Fukai; 04-05-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Fix Typo

• You have much to learn...

I see no real reason why to keep TDS closed if they would reopen TDL. I'm curious to see just how busy the parks are when they re-open. Knowing how busy they were before the earthquake, I am wondering just how eager people would be go visit the parks after the tragic earthquake last month.

When the parks re-open, at least it will provide an escape from the tragic reality that they have been facing for the past few weeks now.

I was also wondering about the water situation in TDS since I heard, at one time, that they had been donating the waters from Mediterranean Harbor to local schools and residences to use for those who running water wasn't available in their areas. I was wondering if this was still true, or if the general surrounding areas are somewhat getting back on their feet.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

What about rolling attraction and shop closures instead of closing an entire park? Schedule some attractions to be closed down for maybe a week, and then switch over to others. Same for some shops and restaurants. Not the best of show, but it might help reduce the need for electricity. Another possibility is to make people a little less comfortable and turn down the air conditioning.

I know it sounds cold to some, but I do think they should get everything up and running as fast as possible. I know a lot of people died and many are still in shelters or without homes, but that is a condition of every day. It may sound callous, but life must and does move on.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post

Having all the CMs that depend on TDS being open sitting and waiting while their fellow CMs work at TDL would be even a bigger blunder IMO. All the CMs should have the opportunity to return to work at the same time.
    This.

I agree it would be better for them to open soon, and I hope they do. There's an interesting article about all the other people whose jobs are dependent on the Disney parks: Tokyo Disney and earthquake: A new theme at Tokyo Disney: hardship - latimes.com. Apparently at the Hilton Tokyo Bay, only 100 of the 809 rooms are occupied, and that's mostly earthquake/tsunami victims who are paying 1/5 of the normal room rate.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

I think it should be closed for a while at least. Its pretty impossible for people here in the u.s. to have any real opinion on this matter. You have to live in Japan to answer this question. I base my answer on living thru the big Northridge quake.

Keep in mind that Japan is a very small country and the disaster area is only 140 miles away by hi speed train thats like 25 mins away. I would think that most of the people living and working in Tokyo have either lost someone close of know someone that did. Not to mention knowing that almost 30,000 fellow countrymen have died nearby many whose bodies have not been recovered. Whole towns have been wiped of the face of the earth. Dont forget the over 500,000 homeless that may never get to go back home due to radiation.

And the fishing and farming industries are really going to hurt.

Then add the rolling blackouts for months, they lost two nuclear plants, yes two the other is not talked about, even if they could assure full power for the Disney parks how would you feel know that peoples homes were without power to assure you could go to a theme park, its absurd.

Then theres the Nuclear problem which is really really bad as it is but it could get much worse at any moment with little warning.

I think it would be the height of insensitivity for Disney to reopen any time soon, I for one know I could not enjoy myself there knowing the great loss of life nearby, the shock the people who work there are still in, the people suffering all around from loss and homelessness and lack of power while im using their power to ride a ride?! Not to mention the air , water and even food might contain some radiation, and that at any moment sirens might go off to evacuate due to a meltdown or something.

Come on its just not sensible or realistic to even think about opening now I would take offense if they did.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    I think it should be closed for a while at least. Its pretty impossible for people here in the u.s. to have any real opinion on this matter.
    and yet you continued anyway....
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    and yet you continued anyway....
    He explained his opinion in a detailed way. You on the other hand didn't help much to the discussion.

This is a whole different situation then we've experienced however I expect Disney to make a proper decision that includes safety, timeliness and respect to the residents of Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    He explained his opinion in a detailed way. You on the other hand didn't help much to the discussion.
    I'm sorry, reading all of his other "facts" in the other threads makes me cringe when he says its impossible to state an opinion, then goes on for 4 paragraphs stating one.

The nuclear problem isn't for us to decide upon...if there's enough of power with generators, etc. that Disney can use, then it's up to them and the public response in Japan...not us here. Simple as that.
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    The nuclear problem isn't for us to decide upon...if there's enough of power with generators, etc. that Disney can use, then it's up to them and the public response in Japan...not us here. Simple as that.
    That's what I was looking for, an opinion. And I agree, I'm imagining Disney's reopening is pretty low on the country's to do list but as a Disney chat board you have to expect we focus on all things Disney.

• Just another Disney fan..

There has been much past discussion regarding Gothic's "opinions". I think that is what Chris was getting at.

Here are a collection of what most would agree upon are facts regarding TDR operational status...
    • The Disney Resort Official Hotels are open
    • Ikspiar shopping center has been open since March 28th
    • The Disney Resort Line monorail resumed operations April 2
    • Disney Bon Voyage store re-opened April 5
    • Easter decorations are being put up
    • Repairs to the park are nearly complete if not already done
    • Easter parade rehersals have been on going
    • It has been reported that Fantasmic! rehearsals have resumed or will resume shortly
    • Foriegn CMs that were sent home are being recalled
    Seems to me that OLC is pretty much ready to open the parks once all the logistical issues regarding power, water, etc. are resolved. If they didn't think they would be resoved sooner than later, I don't think any of the above mentioned actions would have been started up.

Another side note, my friend in Urayasu just told me that rolling blackouts have not happened in over one week. It appears conservation efforts by everyone is having a positive impact.

Other develpments indicating Japan has started back on the road to recovery...
    • The Narita Express rail service that had been suspended started operating again yesterday.
    • The Yamagata Shinkansen line resumed its operation between Fukushima and Yamagata/Shinjo
    Things are far from being back to normal but it appears to me that they are trying best they can to do so.

I expect Disney to make a proper decision that includes safety, timeliness and respect to the residents of Japan.
    Well said.
    Last edited by Roger55; 04-05-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Incorrect name for hotels

• Nutty about Disney parks

OLC has a better grasp on the situation than any of us and I trust that whatever they do it is planned accordingly. I imagine that not everything will be fully operational but they will probably open the most visited attractions that will bring in the most business in either park (provided they're now safe) and a limited number of stores and eateries depending on how many people start showing up. Shows that use a lot of nonJapanese CMs will probably take much longer to reopen.

One thing I could see them doing is have one park open and close early while having the other open and close a little later. Not 50/50 exactly but just a small overlap for guests who would visit both parks in one day.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast