Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Resident of the Caldera

Huge Number of Closed Attractions Today at Tokyo Disneyland

I just took at look at the tip board photo on Deep Disney and there are a huge number of attractions closed today (Saturday).

In addition to Pirates (closed for scheduled maintainance):

1. Big Thunder Mountain (Earthquake damage)
    2. Wester River Railroad
    3. Swiss Family Treehouse
    4. Country Bear Theater
    5. Mark Twain Riverboat
    6. Peter Pan
    7. Snow White
    8. Dumbo
    9. Carousel
    10. Teacups
    11. Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin
    12. Gadget's Go Coaster
    13. Star Tours
    14. Space Mountain
    15. Starjets

That's 16 attractions! Was there another earthquake or aftershock that shut everything down?

Re: Huge Number of Closed Attractions Today at Tokyo Disneyland

Duh. Answered my own question by reading The New York Times:
    "... a magnitude-5.9 earthquake jolted Japan on Saturday morning."

• TDS and TDL FUN times

2hr wait for Cinderallas fairy tale hall Wow... I wonder how far after the aftershock this was taken

It's a brand new attraction, so the long wait wouldn't be surprising, particularly given it's incredibly low person-per-hour capacity. I think the sign on the wall in the photo at Deep Disney reads "Capacity 120." That's not a lot of people!

It's not atypical for TDR to have fairly long closures after an earthquake, they usually get things back to normal within an hour or two I would guess.

In this case, I think you just saw the info board right around the time of the quake as attractions were in various states of being checked out.

In other words, no big deal for TDR.

• Banned User

Fukai, did you see the earlier pictures from that update? Everyone is kneeling down and Mickey is going around calming guests during the after shock.

It's okay, we all have those days. :P

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

There isnt enough power in Tokyo to run TDL with everything on, they have said that only a few attractions would be open initially for limited hours and reduced lighting, why is this a surprise to anyone?

And yes strong aftershocks daily is just another reason of many reasons it SHOULD NOT be open this soon.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Journey On!

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    ...Everyone is kneeling down and Mickey is going around calming guests during the after shock.
    LINK, please?^^

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    There isnt enough power in Tokyo to run TDL with everything on, they have said that only a few attractions would be open initially for limited hours and reduced lighting, why is this a surprise to anyone?

And yes strong aftershocks daily is just another reason of many reasons it SHOULD NOT be open this soon.
    All attractions are operating today except for the two previously announced Pirates and Big Thunder. How do I know this? I'm standing on TDL as I type this.

Once again reality trumps speculation. Who'd a thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    All attractions are operating today except for the two previously announced Pirates and Big Thunder. How do I know this? I'm standing on TDL as I type this.

Yeah. Nowhere did they say "only a few attractions would be open initially", that's ridiculous.

And if strong earthquakes are a reason to keep TDR closed, as I said before they'll have to shut down forever because strong earthquakes are a fact of life in Japan.

(the strongest I ever felt in Japan, before this year, was an 8.0 though it was quite far away and to the NorthWest...after than one there were plenty of strong aftershocks too but nobody talked about closing Disney for months and months! Geez)

Out of curiosity Roger, how are the lighting levels looking? I was wondering how they'd handle that, as obviously going through Tokyo and shopping and riding trains it's quite noticeable.

• TDS and TDL FUN times

Agreed thats why those on micechat appreciate you and your honest and truthful approach

• Journey On!

Thanks for the update, very helpful!

I hesitate to give GothicManor a hard time on this issue, obviously he has been very honest about the fact that he has been through a similar disaster and thus has concerns. And I appreciate his concerns, had having lived through the March 11th 9.0 monster, I can certainly understand the worry and fears and all the rest (I'm living it, including the seasickness inducing aftershocks of the first 48 hours which were just an endless nightmare of "will this ever end!!??").

I just want to make sure the facts are straight; the resort website explained, in detail, measures they are taking to comply with the energy crisis, and that is as it should be (it is VERY difficult to reopen a Disney park under these circumstances, that is VERY obvious!).

But, let's not make assumptions. They never said "many rides will be closed" in any of their press releases. They were careful to mention that rides and shows are subject to cancellation, as they ALWAYS do, but they made a special note about the fact that some might be subject to the energy issues (but they NEVER said anything about major closures). So far, that has proven to be unnecessary, but there may be energy shortage related closures sometime over the year (we don't know, and OLC is being careful to warn anyone of the possibility).

Yesterdays situation was a typical earthquake situation at TDL, much like all the OTHER earthquakes TDR has experienced for decades. I've seen it myself countless times, it was nothing particularly special (any 4.0 or greater quake will, and has, resulted in attraction closures as they check out the systems for any damage. Usually doesn't take more than an hour or two and I'm sure Anaheim has experienced similar closures over the decades).

This is not meant to diminish the severity of the situation in Japan right now. The situation remains very serious, and strong aftershocks are certainly possible (even probable, after such an enormous earthquake Japan can expect a total of ten 7.0+ tremors (already several have occurred) along with one 8.0+ at some point, if the situation remains a typical one...hopefully NOT, but statistically likely according to geology experts), but the resort is prepared for earthquakes and life will go on.
    Last edited by Himorogi; 04-17-2011 at 04:08 AM.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by Himorogi View Post
    Out of curiosity Roger, how are the lighting levels looking? I was wondering how they'd handle that, as obviously going through Tokyo and shopping and riding trains it's quite noticeable.
    Reduced lighting was very evident at Maihama station. Sinage and most escalators are turned off.

Inside the parks, I did not notice reduced lighting in the stores or restaurants. There were however, newly made stickers on all the hand dryers in the restrooms stating that they are currently not operating.

Near park closing, as the skies started to darken, I noticed just how many of the exterior lights weren't on. During the daylight, it wasn't noticable. The hub lights and World Bazaar area lights outside of the stores were all off. Looking into the World Bazaar and seeing no exterior lighting was very weired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast