• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

jtcent coverage of Tokyo Disneyland's reopening on Friday the 15th of April 2011

JoeInJpn hasn't shared or posted this information on here yet. But he has like promised started to upload videos from last Friday's reopening of Tokyo Disneyland.

Tokyo Disneyland re-opened for operation on April 15th, 2011. It had been closed since March 11th after a major earthquake and tsunami struck Japan's northeastern and eastern coasts.

The re-opening also takes place on the 28th Anniversary of the Park's opening in 1983. Also on this day, "Disney's Easter Wonderland" special event began and new attraction "Cinderella's Fairy Tale Hall" opened.

Easter returns to Tokyo Disneyland this year for the second time. Mickey and friends along with your favorite Disney rabbits are surrounded by Easter eggs of all sizes and colors! This video features the section of the parade in Westernland only.

This year, the start of "Disney's Easter Wonderland" began two weeks late on April 15th due to the Park's closure following the Tohoku Region Earthquake on March 11th, 2011.
    Last edited by Malin; 04-18-2011 at 11:09 AM.

• Banned User

Re: jtcent coverage of Tokyo Disneyland's reopening on Friday the 15th of April 2011

First thanks for uploading the videos JoeInJpn.

In the TDL reopening video, I notice you focus about three minutes into the video on a guy in a suit. I'm guessing he's important?

Thanks for showing all the characters coming out before the park opening. Thats always one of my favourite TDR moments of any day. And worth the hassle of arriving early.

I take it we have more yet to follow since you ended the first video by joining the queue for Cinderella's Fairy Tale Hall. Talk about leaving us all in suspense.

Anyway thanks once again for the videos, its the next best thing to actually being there.

Re: jtcent coverage of Tokyo Disneyland's reopening on Friday the 15th of April 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    In the TDL reopening video, I notice you focus about three minutes into the video on a guy in a suit. I'm guessing he's important?
    Thanks, Malin, for posting these here.

While I was in the queue, I did notice a lone older man in a suit checking on things inside the ticket gate. Nobody else was paying attention to him, not even the press, which was busy interviewing guests. I thought to myself, "That looks like old man Kagami." And sure enough, later when I reviewed my footage, I was right!

By the way, the old man is Toshio Kagami. His positions are:

- Secretary General (CEO) of The Oriental Land Company
    - President of Tokyo Disney Resort (ceremonial employee of WDC)
    - He is also a Disney Legend.
    - More from Wikipedia.

And depending on who you talk to, he's both a bad a** and an a**hole.
    Last edited by JoeInJpn; 04-18-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Banned User

So glad to see people are able to escape from reality again after the horrible events in Japan. The cast at Tokyo Disney looks so welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    Thanks, Malin, for posting these here.

While I was in the queue, I did notice a lone older man in a suit checking on things inside the ticket gate. Nobody else was paying attention to him, not even the press, which was busy interviewing guests. I thought to myself, "That looks like old man Kagami." And sure enough, later when I reviewed my footage, I was right!

- More from Wikipedia.

One time at the opening of Buzz, the guy couldn't pronounce the name of his own new attraction. He kept saying "Astro-Boosters". Everyone was afraid to correct him, so I did.

He still screwed it up in the speech though.

Beyond that, I've only interacted with him a few times but I get the impression he doesn't mess around.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Well sometimes you need that in business!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thanks for video Joe, and the backstory about Mr Kagami. And thanks for posting it here, Malin.

I have to admit, I literally teared up when I heard the Mickey Mouse March just after seeing the CMs crying.

Joe, the dash seemed a little more subdued than I remember, or is it just that the hardcore runners outpaced you while carrying the camera?^^

I also have to say that when I heard everyone screaming with such fervor for the characters outside the gates, my feelings were really mixed. It did, surprisingly to me, seem somehow "off" to be so excited to see costumed characters in light of people just a bit away still living in (and being evacuated from) shelters... I didn't expect to feel this way at all, but there was a conflicted tension there. I wonder, Joe, did you feel that at all? Do you think CMs did?

I really want to go, but after seeing this video I feel more twisted up about it than ever. I certainly think in NO way that it's "wrong" for the parks to be open, nor for anyone to be there, nor to be happy or excited about being there...but there is something...I can't put it in words. Something just "off." I think, for me, what would be great is if there was some kind of plan to bring people - especially kids - from the north to have a "Disney day" for free or something... I wish I could speak Japanese better. I wish I could help organize something that could take that same cheering "Mickey!" energy and channel it into something that could bring joy to people in the north. More than money, I want to bring them to Tokyo or somehow take that Disney feeling to them. I want to do something... Any chance there are others here who feel like me who have better Japanese skills or contacts? Any chance we could figure out a way to do something like this ourselves?

• The Darkness to Light

I think the best part of the reopening video is seeing the CMs cry. I'm not being mean, because it was clear they were happy to see such a large crowd of guests after such a tragic event. Sure, the media may be claiming that they are seeking comfort during hard times, but there was something about that split second of the video I saw that just felt real and heartfelt.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    I think the best part of the reopening video is seeing the CMs cry…there was something about that split second of the video I saw that just felt real and heartfelt.
    I concur.

• You have much to learn...

It was great seeing the sense of excitement about the re-opening and the emotional response of the cast and guests. It will take some time for recovering, but this at least is a start. Some people and families really need this to take their minds away for a few hours from the reality of the situation around them.

The cast members are absolutely wonderful and just seeing how they still manage to go above and beyond for their guests, especially during these hard times that Japan is facing.

Thanks to JoeInJapan for the videos and for Malin to posting them.

• Banned User

- More from Wikipedia.

Thanks for the details. Despite what people may think of him. It appears very much he is very capable of the job. From the Disney Legend page it comes across he looks up to Walt Disney. And certainly opperates the parks in the same vision that Walt Disney himself had visioned all those years back. Also interesting to see he sits in on a lot of the Disney Park meetings. Clearly Disney could use Toshio Kagami approuch when it comes to opperating its own themeparks like WDW and DLP. Although both have plenty of a**hole already.

I also have to say that when I heard everyone screaming with such fervor for the characters outside the gates, my feelings were really mixed. It did, surprisingly to me, seem somehow "off" to be so excited to see costumed characters in light of people just a bit away still living in (and being evacuated from) shelters... I didn't expect to feel this way at all, but there was a conflicted tension there.
    I didn't have a problem with this since Disney is this place to escape reality for a while. Why shouldn't people forget the horrific double disaster that hit Japan and just have some fun for a while. If Characters are someone's way of forgetting the outside world, I am happy Japan has somewhere people who enjoy the Characters can go and forget whats happening up in Northern Japan for the day.

Besides would we feel it was wrong for people riding Splash Mountain to not be seen enjoying themselves. Its the same for people who enjoy Characters. I really think everyone in Japan right now has the right to visit the Disney Parks and enjoy it. If that means screaming when Mickey comes out to greet, bring it on!
    Last edited by Malin; 04-22-2011 at 02:38 AM.