Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ugh... Jasmine carpets revealed

Granted it's not completely finished, but the internet is for opining on stuff, so I'll exercise my option.

I hate this thing. For me, DisneySea existed as a perfect park with respect to its exterior thematics, but I think this is its first major blunder/reduction in quality. Arabian Coast is clearly (and neatly) bifurcated into two segments: the palace area where things are pristine and the 'desert harbor' outskirts area where things are more dilapidated.

I had reservations from the moment I saw the concept art: "they wouldn't really be putting this pristine, royal garden-like structure in the 'run-down' section of Arabian Coast." It flies in the face of everything the Arabian Coast design team achieved:

The actual structure looks even more out of place (with plastic-looking onion domes and bright red & white tile) juxtaposed with the Sinbad fortress:

DeepDisney

Simply copying the ill-placed WDW version would have been vastly better (and cheaper) thematics-wise... at least parts of that ride would have maintained the run-down look of the fortress:

Hoping against hope that when opened, something is done to make this new Jasmine area work within its context, but I can't see that happening. It's almost like WDI had no input and OLC farmed this project out to a low-level Zamperla clerk.

A crying shame.

Test video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfeRYuM5qHo

Last edited by RandySavage; 04-29-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Re: Ugh... Jasmine carpets revealed

I see where you're coming from and for the most part I agree. I really think this is just a temporary way to increase the popularity of Sindbad, but who knows.

• Minion FOREVER!

Yikes! That's really glaring..... wonder what prompted that? There was a lot of ways to do this that could have worked.... even the "white" is the wrong shade.... Also those towers aren't the right style either.

• Resident of the Caldera

I thought the same thing when seeing the photo today: the bright white and red paint looks completely out of place in that area of the park.

I hope something "magical" happens before it opens. I've been hesitant about this since the concept art and that photo has done nothing to ease my fears...

• Resident of the Caldera

If OLC decides it looks like hell, it's pretty each to throw a wash over everything to age it.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Ugh. -_-
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Yikes! wonder what prompted that? There was a lot of ways to do this that could have worked.... even the "white" is the wrong shade.... Also those towers aren't the right style either.
    This is what I can't get my head around. How in the world did this totally out-of-place design (for that specific area) get past layers of WDI and OLC, through Joe Lanzisero (a man with proven standards), and green-lit by the man at the top, without someone saying "That would look fine in the Sultan's Palace Courtyard, but that's not where this is going, so try again."

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

This is the sort of thing that happens when a design team is asked to build an attraction but fails to take the bigger picture into account. The ride would be fine by itself, but looks completely out of place where it is being constructed.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    This is the sort of thing that happens when a design team is asked to build an attraction but fails to take the bigger picture into account.
    Which is what is so perplexing to me. How could WDI - the best of the best - fail to take the bigger picture into account? The surrounding area should be in the designer's mind at the outset and throughout the design process. These guys aren't amateurs (or shouldn't be).

It's either:
    A. gross incompetence on the part of the designers (which I would find shocking considering their track record in TDS - even recent additions like Turtle Talk have been integrated very well).
    B. part of a bigger picture we don't yet know about (an Arabian palace of similar white & red tile will house a new attraction behind it?... unlikely).
    C. an executive directive (an OLC bigwig looked at the options and said "I want it to look exactly like the Aladdin cartoon" despite protests from WDI).
    Last edited by RandySavage; 04-29-2011 at 05:32 PM.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I was thinking the same thing :-X

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Ug. Not only is it a spinner, but the colors! I agree with most others: it looks totally out of place and does not blend with the area. One has to wonder how the final product got to be this way. A spinner is one thing, but once that decision was made, it would have been very easy and no more expensive to make it look like it belongs in the area, so I can only conclude that there was a very deliberate decision made to do otherwise.

The best I can come up with is that they wanted it to appeal as much as possible to the target audience: small kids. Children like bright, simple, solid colors, and generally will not appreciate the subtle "run-downedness" of the rest of the area. Perhaps there were heated discussions, and making the attraction appeal to its target audience won out over making it blend in to the rest of the area.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

The tacky, gaudy color scheme of the attraction is puke-inducing. This is the only thing in TDS that will stick out like a wart among all else. The balance in theming seems to be so....imbalanced. On one side you have a rusty, old, aged Arabian themed wall and then you have the shiny, bright, smooth (and artificial) architecture. So much for 'being magical'...

One can understand the need to appeal to smaller kids (my 6 year old sister finds TDS boring due to lack of kid-friendly rides) but this is way off.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I agree it stands out in the area. But maybe its meant to be this way. Perhaps OLC and WDI have greater plans in place for the area that we just don't know about yet. Sinbad while a fairly good dark ride has never really connected with the audience the way it should do. WDI tried making it more cute by adding Chandu and that seems to have failed. Except for Sinbad the rest of Arabian Coast is themed to Aladdin. Maybe a major retheming of the area is scheduled at a later date. To give the entire Arabian Coast an Aladdin backstory. I certainly don't believe that no one in OLC or WDI design this ride and didn't give thought or consideration into how it would blend into the existing landscape. I believe it was done with a reason and purpose which havn't been made clear to us at the moment.

By the way its amazing to see how quickly the project has come along since the park was closed. It looks to be well on track for its Summer opening.

• Minion FOREVER!

Malin, you do have a point about Sinbad. As much as I love the ride, the response to it by the general Japanese public has been tepid. And it's location is a good one for a Sultan's Palace if they decide to build something there.

But that must be at least several years down the line.... it sure would have been nice if WDI at least painted it more appropriately so that it's not so glaring right now (and then repaint it later when the Sinbad is taken down.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast