Question Helping questions for Tokyo and Tokyo Disney Resort

Hello,
    I'm planning to go to Tokyo on July.
    I will head to Tokyo Disney Resort after I arrive to Japan.
    So I want to ask some question about this!
    Do I need to pay monorail fee for traveling around the resort if I stay at the Disney Resort Hotel?
    Is it better to stay at Disney Hotel or Disney's Partner Hotel?
    Because I plan to stay around 3, 4 days at the Resort so Is it extremely expensive to stay at these Hotel?
    4 days are enough for both Parks? :P
    After the earthquake and radiation problems. Are there any serious problems need to concern to travel to Japan & Disney Resort? Air-conditioning shuts down in summer? food problems? Air problems? etc....
    I cannot speak Japanese, Chinese or Korean so does it become difficult for me to travel?
    If can, how much for a average transportation cost from downtown (maybe Shinjuku) to Disney Resort (Bus, train, taxi).
    How do you think about the expensiveness between Hong kong and Tokyo?

I've been to HK many time but never been to Tokyo so if you have any advices please tell me.... I am very thanks for that....
    Thanks.....

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: Helping questions for Tokyo and Tokyo Disney Resort

Last time I stayed at one of the three Disney hotels, I was given a monorail pass for the length of my stay.

4 days is enough for both parks, though I usually do 5.

It's better to stay in a Disney hotel because you get early entry. If you want to save money, stay in the Hilton Tokyo Bay. You can often get a room for less than $200 a night, which is less than half of what you'll pay at one of the three Disney hotels.

It's no problem if you don't speak Japanese.

Tokyo is an expensive city, but part of that depends upon what your native currency is and how it converts into yen.

There does not appear to be any reason for concern in traveling to Tokyo and the surrounding area other than the possibility that they'll have another earthquake. That wouldn't stop me from going!

From Shinjuku to Maihama is not that much money. You would NOT do it by Taxi or bus. The train is much quicker.

You will LOVE it there. Everything is so clean and the people are so nice. And the Parks are beautiful.

Assuming that you are arriving at NRT, take the Disney bus (you can read all about it on their website). It's so easy-you walk out of customs and there are all the bus companies. Honestly, I've never taken the Disney bus, because both times I have missed the last bus due to airport delays..i think the last bus is around 5pm or so. But regardless, if you miss it you take a bus to a nearby hotel and then taxi from there to the Resort. Not much of an effort at all--the bus attendants are very nice and spoke English well and helped me plan my route. It was much easier for me, than trying to navigate the train system coming off of a long flight. I think the bus is like 30 dollars, but I'm not positive.

The Disney Hotels are very expensive. They are wonderful but very costly. I reco staying at the Sheraton. I have heard good things about the Hilton as well, but have never stayed there. You do generally get early entry when at a Disney hotel, which is nice as it helps with the crowds, but I don't know if it's worth the extra 200 a night. The monorail does cost money if you are not staying at a Disney hotel. It runs on it's own system and is independently operated there and requires tickets. Simple to purchase and simple to use.

You don't need to know the language. You will pick up on some of it, while you are there. And you can always ask for help. People there are friendly and they want to please. So respect that, and try to learn whatever you can while you are there and show that you're making an effort.

Everything is expensive there. But you can do it on a budget if you are disciplined. But be warned. The merchandise is very addicting over there.

Keep in mind that if you are buying a four day pass, you will need to designate which Park you want to go into on the first two days. You are only allowed one Park on each of those first two days. Day three and four you can Park hop. Tickets can be purchased at your hotel if it's a Disney Hotel and their partners, if not, there are plenty of opportunities at the Resort to buy them-you do not need them in advance of your trip. But do buy them before the morning you plan on going into the Park so it doesn't slow you down.

Best advice is to get to the Parks at least 45 mins before they open. Take a seat along with everyone else, and read, write postcards, entertain yourself. If you do this, you'll have several rides under your belt before noon. Remember to take time to soak it all in, especially DisneySea. And play the FastPass game. Figure out a game plan while you're waiting for the Park to open.

Do an extensive search of the forum for more details. There are older posts that go into more details about things that might help flush out your information gathering. Also play around on the Resort's website-you can find a lot of information there too.

You will love it there. And it's so easy. I found Hong Kong more challenging than Tokyo. I generally add a fifth day so that I can go into Tokyo and wander around and see some of the sights.

Have fun.

Wow, Fukai & GUYNYC, thanks for your helpful informations.
    I'm in love with Tokyo Disney Hotel, especially the MiraCosta. I will try to stay one night there at Venice side and the rest is Sheraton.

And How busy is Tokyo Disney Resort in july? How long for queueing for one attraction on average? And how is the weather condition in July?

@GUYNYC: I mean that I stay at the Resort for 3, 4 days and the rest is in Tokyo. Maybe for a week. I'm addicted in UFO Catcher so I will not miss a chance to play as much as I can at Tokyo hehehe.

Thanks so much for information from both of you.

• Minion FOREVER!

Couple of things:

• Tokyo is expensive, but if one's careful and does homework (and don't mind eating like a local), I've found it to be cheaper than at DLR or WDW.
    • July is hot (80-90s w/ high humidity). Occasional rain. (sometimes often, depends on year).
    • Normally, lines are long. Long lines for Pooh HH, Monsters Inc, etc. This year might be a completely different story.

Thanks.
    Anyone know some hotels that located in the heart of Tokyo (good places for shop, eat and entertainments) with good price..... Which ward is the best for staying at Tokyo? (Shinjuku, Taito,Shibuya,...?)...

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Duyanh92 View Post
    Thanks.
    Anyone know some hotels that located in the heart of Tokyo (good places for shop, eat and entertainments) with good price..... Which ward is the best for staying at Tokyo? (Shinjuku, Taito,Shibuya,...?)...
    Thought I responded earlier...

Anyway, the selection of ward depends on what's important to you.

I like Shinjuku because of the shopping and relative proximity to my relatives. Roppongi/Akasaka because I like the more cosmopolitan feel for the area, Shinagawa because I like the transit options there.

Quote Originally Posted by Duyanh92 View Post
    Thanks.
    We stayed at the Hotel Ryumeikan Hotel in Japan in front of Tokyo Sta.?HOTEL RYUMEIKAN TOKYO right across from the Tokyo Station. You can pretty much figure out which review I did on tripadvisor! hahaha.
    The hotel is in a great location. Easy to get everywhere. The Yaesu underground has SOOO much food choices. I wish I had more time and a bigger stomach to eat everything i saw at the restaurants.

From the hotel I lugged two big luggages and a big backpack and my wife took care of our 2 year old and it was a fairly "simple" walk to the JR Keiyo line. From there it was one train all the way to the Disney monorail where we paid for a 3 day pass.

Quote Originally Posted by cr8zymike View Post
    We stayed at the Hotel Ryumeikan Hotel in Japan in front of Tokyo Sta.?HOTEL RYUMEIKAN TOKYO right across from the Tokyo Station. You can pretty much figure out which review I did on tripadvisor! hahaha.
    The hotel is in a great location. Easy to get everywhere. The Yaesu underground has SOOO much food choices. I wish I had more time and a bigger stomach to eat everything i saw at the restaurants.

From the hotel I lugged two big luggages and a big backpack and my wife took care of our 2 year old and it was a fairly "simple" walk to the JR Keiyo line. From there it was one train all the way to the Disney monorail where we paid for a 3 day pass.
    Thanks for you information.

The Double room is quite expensive for me... really... Did u know any hotel that cost lower than RYUMEIKAN... :P
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GUYNYC View Post

Assuming that you are arriving at NRT, take the Disney bus (you can read all about it on their website). It's so easy-you walk out of customs and there are all the bus companies. Honestly, I've never taken the Disney bus, because both times I have missed the last bus due to airport delays..i think the last bus is around 5pm or so. But regardless, if you miss it you take a bus to a nearby hotel and then taxi from there to the Resort. Not much of an effort at all--the bus attendants are very nice and spoke English well and helped me plan my route. It was much easier for me, than trying to navigate the train system coming off of a long flight. I think the bus is like 30 dollars, but I'm not positive.
    U mean that if I miss the Disney bus, I should take another buses which will arrive at some hotels locating near Disney resort and take a taxi to Disney Hotel right? Is it possible? We arrive to a hotel with luggages and leave by taxi after that? :P

The Disney Hotels are very expensive. They are wonderful but very costly. I reco staying at the Sheraton. I have heard good things about the Hilton as well, but have never stayed there. You do generally get early entry when at a Disney hotel, which is nice as it helps with the crowds, but I don't know if it's worth the extra 200 a night. The monorail does cost money if you are not staying at a Disney hotel. It runs on it's own system and is independently operated there and requires tickets. Simple to purchase and simple to use.
    When arrive at Narita Airport, I plan to stay at Miracosta for the first two days and I will move to Sheraton or Hilton. If I stay at Sheraton, does it cost me for monorail?

Keep in mind that if you are buying a four day pass, you will need to designate which Park you want to go into on the first two days. You are only allowed one Park on each of those first two days. Day three and four you can Park hop. Tickets can be purchased at your hotel if it's a Disney Hotel and their partners, if not, there are plenty of opportunities at the Resort to buy them-you do not need them in advance of your trip. But do buy them before the morning you plan on going into the Park so it doesn't slow you down.
    I found that they are offering 4 days special that I could go to both parks on the first and second days if I stay at Disney Hotel. Hehe!!!!

Do an extensive search of the forum for more details. There are older posts that go into more details about things that might help flush out your information gathering. Also play around on the Resort's website-you can find a lot of information there too.
    Sure!!!!! ^^

You will love it there. And it's so easy. I found Hong Kong more challenging than Tokyo. I generally add a fifth day so that I can go into Tokyo and wander around and see some of the sights.
    The rest of my trip will be at Tokyo after 4 days at Tokyo Disney Resort. If I miss this place, I will go again before I fly back to my country. I'm so sad that they have canceled the daily fireworks since the earthquake....

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    From Shinjuku to Maihama is not that much money. You would NOT do it by Taxi or bus. The train is much quicker.
    After finish staying at the Disney Resort. I will move to the city center. How much does it cost by taxi? If I go by train it will be difficult for me because I must carry the luggages and go around to find the way to get into the new hotel.
    Last edited by Duyanh92; 05-30-2011 at 05:49 AM.