May 11-14 : Our first time to TDL and Tokyo Sea

We are finally home...literally just came through the door. I don't have pics to post yet but I'll post my experience.

May 11th:

• We left Tokyo (our hotel was Hotel Ryumeikan) and after a long walk (for me since I was pulling all the luggage while wife was looking after our little girl) we made it to the train.
    • We checked into the Sheraton Tokyo Bay ... it was awesome. Almost all the front desk people and the bell hops knew us personally during our stay because they loved playing and interacting with our little girl.
    • It was pouring rain and I managed the wife to do the after 6pm for Tokyo Disneyland.
    • It was pouring but there were still a good amount of people there.
    • We went on Pooh's ride 3x, small world 2x, teacup 1x, castle and just took it easy.
    • All the workers who were still there in the pouring rain were unbelievable. Smiles and waves everytime we passed one of them.

May 12th:

• We did Tokyo Sea. It was also raining. Went out to the bus in front of the hotel to take to the station. We get there and the wife says she's cold and that I should go back for her jacket. I was going to walk back when the bus driver motioned me to get on and to drive me back. I felt so bad b/c we just go there and she needs to keep to a schedule. Got back to the hotel and she waited for me to drive me back to the station. We get to DisneySea and there is already a huge lineup in the rain.
    • My wife tells me...I forgot the tickets in the hotel! DOH! Had to go back to the hotel...the bus driver sees me and is totally surprised. She motions me on again and all the hotel people see me again and wave and know that I forgot the tickets.
    • When we finally got into DisneySea the rain got a bit heavier. We went on most of the rides except for the more popular "adult" themed rides b/c of our little one.
    • There were characters all around ... the greeting trail was more than 60minutes ... so we decided to skip it because of the rain and worried that our little one would get sick. We waited about 20 minutes for Donald Duck and it made her SOOOO happy since the Duck is her favourite.
    • I saw people (old and young) carrying Arabian donald ducks. It was one of those midway games. I was so obsessed with winning that I was collecting consolation pins! Wife told me that i'll never win and to go.
    • Went back to hotel for an afternoon nap and go back in the night.
    • It was raining even harder in the night. When we saw workers...before we even got close to them they got their squeegees and made sure the ground had no water before we walked by with them smiling and waving at us.
    • We did some more night activities and I did go back to win the Arabian donald duck that my wife said i'd never win! HA! After 500Yen and 6 tries...I won one! hahaha.
    • It was a great night in the pouring rain.

May 13th:

• We arrived at Tokyo Disneyland a little bit later than opening on the sunny Friday. I think it was great! There were lots of people when we got off the train...characters everywhere! Hugs, photos, clowning around and the most important thing...SMILES by everyone...young and old.
    • Isn't it a school day for kids???? They were everywhere! And not in school uniforms....like just going there.
    • We lucked out on taking photos with the roaming characters. Although it was a "free for all" for photos, autographs and hugs ... they saw our little girl and made an effort to let us take a picture with them. it was great.
    • We did basically all the rides except for the pooh and dumbo b/c we did it the night before and the fact that the line ups were pretty long.
    • It was a great day. Yes there were a lot of people but seeing everyone so happy and having an awesome day was great.
    • We stayed for the night glow parade. I bought those "egg" things from the machines for 300yen in the toontown area. I bought 3 for my little girl and told her that I wasn't going to buy her anymore. i went outside to save us a spot for the glow parade. My wife comes out later to tell me that there was a 20ish year old girl who saw our girl still at the machine and thought she was very cute. This girl opened her bag and showed her all the eggs that she bought for "fun" and wanted her to choose one. My wife said she so touched by her generosity. I was very happy and touched too...that if we could find her that we'd take her out for ice cream or something. Unfortunately when the parade was about the start...they turn out all the lights outside and we couldn't see anything.
    • It was a great day. We were so happy. Our little girl was so used to the happiness and friendliness of the workers that whenever she saw one of them ... she'd go over and say hi and wave.

May 14th:

• Walked around the hotel with my little girl before getting ready to check out that I saw in the bridal dress area of the hotel that a young woman was trying on a traditional wedding kimono who was obviously going to have her wedding there. My little girl said she was "big sister is so pretty". I saw her father started to cry with tears of joy and they had a big hug. I'm not entirely sure of the Japanese culture if that is "normal"...but it was a sight of raw emotion that i couldn't help but tear up a bit. They saw us looking and smiled...we smiled right back and I said congratulations...although I'm not sure if they understood my english...but I'm sure they understood we were so happy for them with our tears of joy as well.
    • Most of the staff come over and said goodbye to us and especially our little girl.
    • Check out at the hotel and wait for our bus to Narita for our flight to HK where we'd visit HK disney and i already knew that i would be disappointed after such an awesome experience.

Overall...I LOVED being in Tokyo and then Tokyo Disneyland and Disneysea for the first time. It will definitely not be our last. It wasn't just going to an amusement park. It was an experience. Going to plan on saving money so we can go again in the next few years. Our little girl loved her time there...we loved our time there and we've got memories and photos to last us a lifetime.

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: May 11-14 : Our first time to TDL and Tokyo Sea

Glad to hear you had a good time even with the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by cr8zymike View Post
    We stayed for the night glow parade. I bought those "egg" things from the machines for 300yen in the toontown area. I bought 3 for my little girl and told her that I wasn't going to buy her anymore. i went outside to save us a spot for the glow parade. My wife comes out later to tell me that there was a 20ish year old girl who saw our girl still at the machine and thought she was very cute. This girl opened her bag and showed her all the eggs that she bought for "fun" and wanted her to choose one. My wife said she so touched by her generosity. I was very happy and touched too...that if we could find her that we'd take her out for ice cream or something. Unfortunately when the parade was about the start...they turn out all the lights outside and we couldn't see anything.
    So many great moments, but this was my favorite. Disney magic right there.

Can't wait to see the photos.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

you trip report made me smile so big at work, thanks :-)

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Check out at the hotel and wait for our bus to Narita for our flight to HK where we'd visit HK disney and i already knew that i would be disappointed after such an awesome experience.
    Thanks for sharing your experience! I hope we'll get an HKDL report as well!

Quote Originally Posted by fitztwg View Post
    So many great moments, but this was my favorite. Disney magic right there.

Can't wait to see the photos.
    There were so many great moments. It's not just going to an amusement park. It was a total experience. This was my favorite moment as well...I couldn't believe it as well. I couldn't stop talking about it and how generosity like that is VERY rare these days.

Unfortunately I'm back at work and don't have time to post pics. I'll get in big trouble! But most of the pics others have already taken like the eggs. The pictures I took in the pouring rain didn't come out that well.

It has only been a few days since I've been back and I can't stop talking how I loved Tokyo and Tokyo Disneyland. i can talk/write forever about the trip there! It was great! Don't let anyone tell you not to go to Tokyo now. We'd go back next week if I had the $$$ and time off from work!

Quote Originally Posted by rkj1969 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience! I hope we'll get an HKDL report as well!
    I think i'll get in trouble posting it here...but I don't think i'll be posting a HKDL report. We spent less than 5 hours there and left. Too many mainland China people there. Pushing, being rude, cutting in line, etc. The worst was when a couple pushed my little girl aside when she was meeting Donald Duck. I was so angry. ANGRY. The happiest place in the world and I was ANGRY.
    Needless to say...we weren't happy and decided to leave. I guess we were spoiled with Tokyo and Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea that HKDL wouldn't be the same.

So...i'm sorry for now...no HKDL post...

BUT...ask me about the experience at Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea...and I'll make sure I give you my opinion of the place and the people at the Sheraton Tokyo Bay Hotel

I think i'll get in trouble posting it here...but I don't think i'll be posting a HKDL report. We spent less than 5 hours there and left. Too many mainland China people there. Pushing, being rude, cutting in line, etc. The worst was when a couple pushed my little girl aside when she was meeting Donald Duck. I was so angry. ANGRY. The happiest place in the world and I was ANGRY.
    Needless to say...we weren't happy and decided to leave. I guess we were spoiled with Tokyo and Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea that HKDL wouldn't be the same.

So...i'm sorry for now...no HKDL post...

BUT...ask me about the experience at Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea...and I'll make sure I give you my opinion of the place and the people at the Sheraton Tokyo Bay Hotel
    So sorry you had a bad time at HKDL! I really enjoyed TDR and the Sheraton as well, so much so that we're going back in July......but I'm also trying to plan an HKDL trip for September. I already experienced the "TDR letdown" when I visited WDW last year and just kept talking about how much better everything was in Tokyo!
    I expect it will be the same in HK - but I will hope for a less crowded day, for sure!

Great TR! We just got back yesterday from our similar trip, but we did HKDL first (on May 12), then TDR all last week. That's the way to go, I think, as we really loved HKDL, but I know we would have been comparing it unfavourably to TDR if we had reversed the order.
    http://www.wdwip.com: The Walt Disney World International Programs Website

Quote Originally Posted by vistaway View Post
    Great TR! We just got back yesterday from our similar trip, but we did HKDL first (on May 12), then TDR all last week. That's the way to go, I think, as we really loved HKDL, but I know we would have been comparing it unfavourably to TDR if we had reversed the order.
    SWEET! A fellow Canadian! Wife and I talked about that as well. We should have went to HKDL first and then Tokyo. I guess we were spoiled by the environment in Tokyo that HK came as a complete shock to us.

We miss it already...that we have already started planning our trip for next year (Cali Disneyland!!) and then Tokyo + Osaka in 3 years. Glad to hear you loved it all!

Here is my video of the Nightfall glow parade. I missed the first couple of minutes (the fairy godmother) because I was trying to get the camera settings right.

It looks a lot better in 720p HD.

Great video! I caught it on a rainy night (fitting, considering it's the rainy day parade), with so few people watching in Westernland that you could barely see the parade route (more gaps than people!).

Oh, and I found your TDS Arabian Coast games comment funny...I spent 2500Y and didn't win the plush. But at least the pins are nice (and not a bad deal).

Andy
    http://www.wdwip.com: The Walt Disney World International Programs Website

Quote Originally Posted by vistaway View Post
    Great video! I caught it on a rainy night (fitting, considering it's the rainy day parade), with so few people watching in Westernland that you could barely see the parade route (more gaps than people!).

Oh, and I found your TDS Arabian Coast games comment funny...I spent 2500Y and didn't win the plush. But at least the pins are nice (and not a bad deal).

Andy
    Yeah...the Arabian Donald Duck. I became so obsessed with winning one.
    I am so glad that I did:

Name:  2yyql1v.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  71.3 KB