• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Does Tokyo Disneyland still have the best daytime Parade?

In case no one has checked it out yet. Head on over to this weeks "In The Parks" update. It offers a fantastic review of the new Soundsational Parade at Disneyland. http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/in-...tiki-more.html

Soundsational looks amazing I must admit. At the same time I am still very impressed by Flights of Fantasy at Hong Kong and even the Disneyland Paris parade is a high standard production. Obviously I'm going to leave out mention of that joke of a parade currently at the Magic Kingdom park. But putting the California, Paris and Hong Kong Parade's into comparison for just one moment. Do you think at present Tokyo Disneyland's Jubilation is still the best Disney daytime Parade we have at any Disney park at the moment?

Re: Does Tokyo Disneyland still have the best daytime Parade?

Barf. I despise Jubilation! I've given it several viewings, and I feel the same way now that I did when I first saw it: just run-of-the-mill parade stuff, with nothing that "catches" for me. It reminds me of why I was never interested in the daytime parades as a kid. I hear good things about Soundsational, which I'll get to see in person next week, so I'll post a comparison then.

• Resident of the Caldera

I like Jubilation, and am always disappointed it no longer runs during the day in October when I'm there because of the Halloween event.

• Everything's satisfactual

In my opinion, now that Disneyland is up to par, all Magic Kingdoms except the actual Magic Kingdom are very close in the running of the highest quality parade. However, I must say that Disneyland Paris' Once Upon A Dream Parade is the best.

Why, you may ask? I believe that every parade brings something unique to the table and truly special. However, Paris' parade is unlike no other. It brings together nearly all of the well-known Disney characters, a "best of" sort of collection. Each character gets an equal amount of attention. The performers all wear excellent costumes, and the music is quite wonderful and magical. The parade has been updated to include Princess Tiana with the princesses and additional performers, so it shows that the park is intent on keeping the parade up to date. True, the show stops may be a hot mess, for lack of a better term, but at least they are trying.

Tokyo Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland's parades have wonderful, beautiful, elaborate floats with a lot of whimsy in their design. However, sometimes the largeness of the floats is distracting and overwhelming, and at times, tacky. Disneyland's parade has a beautiful artistic design, but for some reason, it does not feel right coming down Main Street and looking like a storybook. Paris' floats have that Disney charm and coziness that I feel in many other places is being lost. Also, you can tell that elements have been shared between the other parades...for example, the music shared between Flights of Fantasy and Soundsational, costumes shared between various productions, Flights' Stitch float and Jubilation's Peter Pan float having the same design...etc. Paris has a completely unique parade, with a completely different creative team, and I don't want it to lose it.

In my opinion, Jubilation has lost the "best parade" title, but not to Soundsational...to Once Upon A Dream.
    Walt Disney World May 1998
    Walt Disney World May 2002
    Walt Disney World March 2003
    Walt Disney World March 2004
    Walt Disney World September 2005
    Walt Disney World March 2007
    Disneyland August 2010

Check out my YouTube channel with Disney theme park music!
    Music of the Mastro Master

Visit my Disney entertainment blog!
    Disney Entertainment History

• Just another Disney fan..

Soundsational is a very good parade. Some of the quality that has been lost over tha past several years has returned to DLR in more than just the parade. Still not at the level of the old Lion King parade or the DL version of the Mulan parade, but headed back in the right direction.

Having said that, Jubiliation still ranks higher to me. TDR has a way of presenting a more immersive experience when it comes to their parades and other entertainment offerings. You can not get an appreciation of the entire experience by just watching a video.

I have yet to see the current DLRP and HKDL parade offerings in person, so I will deferr my opinions to those who have actually seen them in person.

I have experienced in person the current WDW MK offering.

• Banned User

The sheer scale of Jubilation makes it the winner for me. It is the best designed parade. The costumes serve as transitions from one float to the next. It is the only parade that has an obvious and continuous float styling that is featured on both huge, giant detailed floats, and in the costumes. Jubilation is the most cohesive of the parades, and while the soundtrack may not be perfect it again keeps the cohesive element.

Quote Originally Posted by mastromjm View Post
    Tokyo Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland's parades have wonderful, beautiful, elaborate floats with a lot of whimsy in their design. However, sometimes the largeness of the floats is distracting and overwhelming, and at times, tacky.
    I don't understand this, personally. I really dislike the deisgns of Once Upon A Dream. The floats feel thrown together, with contradicting styles. Unlike how Flights and Fantasy seamlessly blend different movies and characters onto one, uniquely stylized float, Once Upon A Dream has a "line of separation" where not only the characters change, but the stylizing of the floats change as well.

Photo Credit

Notice how the cottage from Alice just ends and switches to a shingled design? What's up with that?

VS the incorporation of multiple characters in Flights of Fantasy and Jubilation:

Photo Credit

Photo Credit

Disneyland's parade has a beautiful artistic design, but for some reason, it does not feel right coming down Main Street and looking like a storybook.
    How is this any different in Paris?

Also, you can tell that elements have been shared between the other parades...for example, the music shared between Flights of Fantasy and Soundsational, costumes shared between various productions, Flights' Stitch float and Jubilation's Peter Pan float having the same design...etc. Paris has a completely unique parade, with a completely different creative team, and I don't want it to lose it.
    I don't understand this logic. First off, each parade is clearly distinct for their own reasons. It's like Pirates and Mansion, with this logic, Mystic Manor could be underwealming but since it is "completely unique", it should not be lost. If something is better (in this case the costuming, soundtrack, float design, etc.) why ditch it instead of improving on it.
    In my opinion, Jubilat

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I enjoy all of them but Jubilation is still my favorite! And in terms of costumes; Jubilation, Flights of Fantasy, Soundsational have all been designed by Mirena Rada.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Everything's satisfactual

I meant to say "pop-up book" instead of storybook, I apologize. Your observations are correct and very smart, I just prefer to have the unique elements and, in my opinion, strong structure of Paris' parade over the others, I guess.
    Walt Disney World May 1998
    Walt Disney World May 2002
    Walt Disney World March 2003
    Walt Disney World March 2004
    Walt Disney World September 2005
    Walt Disney World March 2007
    Disneyland August 2010

Check out my YouTube channel with Disney theme park music!
    Music of the Mastro Master

Visit my Disney entertainment blog!
    Disney Entertainment History

• You have much to learn...

I pretty much enjoy the parades in all the parks- yes, including WDW. I'm usually more attracted to a parade by the music, rather than the parade itself. I've only watched Soundsational on youtube once, but was doing other things at the time, so I really couldn't focus on it.

I still enjoy Jubilation, even though I feel it's time for a change out there- but I do enjoy the music.

I like the parades in Japan a little better since they usually change their seasonal parades from year to year whereas the other parks run them into the ground before changing them.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Soundsational doesn't compare with HKDL's parade or Jubliation since its floats are so uninteresting (shame since the music is quite good). Both Jubliation and FoF have colorful, animated and eye-catching floats but FoF's show stop (best Disney parade show stop, unique and creative) makes the parade a winner and that is why its a huge success with the local audience which is much harder to please than the American, French or Japanese audiences.

• You have much to learn...

I just re-watched Soundsational & had more time to pay attention to it. I actually didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I'm not too crazy about the new arrangements of the songs & they seemed to try the flashier costumes that I've seen more in Paris & Japan, but somehow didn't seem to fit too well.

Jubilation is looking better and better after watching Soundsational again. I also haven't watched the parades in DLP or Hong Kong to make a comparison with them.

• Not here to help

The only flaw with HKDL´s parade is that I think it should have a final huge float. To see Toy Story as an end to a parade just does not do it for me. I truoly hope they add something at the end one day. Having said that I have to say that the music is by far the best from Disney in a very long time.
    ...ok the easter parade in TDL is just as amazing but anyway... Asia has the best parades. The worst are in Orlando.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    Soundsational doesn't compare with HKDL's parade or Jubliation since its floats are so uninteresting (shame since the music is quite good). Both Jubliation and FoF have colorful, animated and eye-catching floats but FoF's show stop (best Disney parade show stop, unique and creative) makes the parade a winner and that is why its a huge success with the local audience which is much harder to please than the American, French or Japanese audiences.
    Agreed on most accounts (however best show stop goes to Parade of Dreams for having a wider variety of acrobats and coming up with the whole streamer idea). Soundsationals floats are really quite lame.

As for a FoF finale, I'd LOVE it if they had a huge Peter Pan finale. It'd really tie the showstop together and be a great finale to the theme of "Flight".