• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Tokyo DisneySea 10th Anniversary Event "Be Magical!" Sep 4 - March 19

Another Disney fansite has posted more details about this years 10th Anniversary Event at Tokyo DisneySea "Be Magical!".

Tokyo DisneySea Park will hold the “Be Magical!” special event to celebrate its 10th anniversary. Tokyo DisneySea, which had its grand opening on September 4, 2001, will celebrate this milestone from its anniversary day through March 19, 2012. The Park will be filled with “Be Magical” experiences, bringing smiles to Guests who visit during this special period.

The main feature of this 10th anniversary year is a greeting show titled “Be Magical!” by the Disney friends. This is a magical show in which Mickey Mouse appears riding on a barge specially created just for this show. When Mickey casts a spell together with the guests, magic fills the area around Mediterranean Harbor, with the Disney friends and dancers appearing all around for a fantastic dancing celebration.
    Also, to commemorate the “Be Magical!” event, Magical Hat monuments in the shape of giant sorcerer’s hats will appear in each of the themed ports with a hidden “magic” feature for the guests to enjoy. The shops and restaurants within the Park will also offer a variety of special merchandise and menus filled with wonder and enchantment, befitting the “Be Magical!” event.

And from November 7 through December 25 will be a special time to celebrate a seasonal event “Christmas Wishes.” During this time, the entire Park will be filled with a romantic and magical atmosphere.

With Mickey and his friends spreading the Disney magic and fantasy, the Tokyo DisneySea 10th Anniversary special event is certain to “Be Magical!” for all.

Entertainment Programs
    Greeting Show “Be Magical!”
    Duration: Approx. 20 minutes
    Performances: 2 Daily
    Performers: Approx. 100
    Guests will be able join in this show and be a part of the wonderful Disney magic. At the start of the show, Mickey Mouse arrives at Mediterranean Harbor aboard a special barge designed especially for the 10th anniversary. As he calls out “Be Magical!” together with the guests, the magic spreads throughout the area, bringing Disney characters and dancers dressed in 10th anniversary costumes to Mediterranean Harbor. Together, they celebrate the milestone year with lively music and colorful dancing.
    (Main characters: Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Chip ’n Dale, Genie, Ariel, and others, a total of 30 characters)
    Note: This show will not be performed from November 7, 2011 through January 5, 2012.

Atmosphere Entertainment
    The Disney characters, music bands and entertainers will put on collaborative performances at various locations. At Mysterious Island, Goofy and Fun Custodial members will perform a comical magic show. Moreover, guests can join in a fun dance to 10th Anniversary theme song with Chip ’n Dale and the Time Travelers at Port Discovery, and also with Genie and the Trekking Musicians at Arabian Coast.
    Note: Atmosphere Entertainment will not be offered from November 7 through December 25, 2011.

Shops
    Special Merchandise
    Nautilus Gifts, specially decorated in celebration of the 10th anniversary, will serve as a concept shop and, together with Emporio and other shops, will offer approximately 300 types of special items. Among these, the interactive Magical Wand (2,500 yen) will be introduced at the Park for the first time. When guests wave these wands at the six monuments inside the Park, this interactive wand will emit sound and light. Regular merchandise such as Mickey Mouse plush toys and Duffy’s costumes will be offered in a 10th anniversary edition, in addition to “magical” items themed to the “Be Magical!” event such as Fun Caps based on the Magical Hat.
    Note: 10th anniversary special merchandise will gradually be offered at the shops starting June 10, preceding the start of the event period.
    Restaurants
    Special Menus
    During the 10th anniversary event period, guests can enjoy not only the delicious menus but also the festive atmosphere of the restaurants decorated for the event. Cafe Portofino will be transformed into a themed restaurant called the “Be Magical! Cafe” where guests can enjoy special menus in an atmosphere decked out for the milestone celebration. At Sailing Day Buffet, guests can dine on items that appear in the new regular show “A Table is Waiting.” Other special menus will be offered at the restaurants with meals and desserts themed to the Magical Hat, as well as desserts that come with a souvenir item.
    Note: Special menus will gradually be offered starting June 10, preceding the start of the event period.

Food Vouchers & Collectible Spoon
    Food wagons in American Waterfront will offer a “Special Food Vouchers & Collectible Spoon Set” (3,000 yen). Guests who purchase this set can enjoy a special set menu at Miguel’s El Dorado Cantina, Yucatan Base Camp Grill, Casbah Food Court, or Zambini Brothers’ Ristorante. They will also receive a food voucher good for 500 yen worth of food items valid at any of the restaurants and food wagons within Tokyo DisneySea Park.
    Note: The collectible spoons will be offered in five different designs. In addition, collectible spoons with designs of Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse will be sold separately.

Decorations
    Each of the themed ports will have a monument in the shape of a Magical Hat (sorcerer’s hat), created by the Disney characters in their role as magical ambassadors. When guests put their hands over six of the monuments, it will emit light and sound, making the guests feel as if they have become a sorcerer themselves. Also, if Guests use their Magical Wands (special merchandise) and wave it at the monuments, they will be able to enjoy an even more magical experience.
    Note: Excluding the monument at Mediterranean Harbor. Themed Port
    Sorcerer
    Monument Design
    Mediterranean Harbor
    (DisneySea Plaza)

Mickey Mouse
    A Magical Hat approximately 8 meters tall that magically appeared out of the DisneySea AquaSphere. This is where the Disney characters from all of the themed ports come together.
    American Waterfront

Minnie Mouse
    A pink Magical Hat that appeared out of a fountain in New York. It features a large bow and a heart-shaped ornament.
    Lost River Delta

Donald Duck
    A Magical Hat that appeared by ancient magic. It is designed like an ancient ruin, and has vines climbing around it.
    Mysterious Island

Goofy
    A Magical Hat with designs that fuse together science and minerals from nature. The crystal is its key emblem.
    Port Discovery

Chip ’n Dale
    A Magical Hat that sits on a unique pedestal designed with spiral lines and the swirl of a storm. It is small to match the size of Chip ’n Dale.

Mermaid Lagoon
    Ariel
    A Magical Hat created in the image of King Triton’s Castle. Corals and large starfish give it an appealing, girlish look.

Arabian Coast
    Genie
    A Magical Hat with the Genie’s friend, the Magic Carpet, wrapped around it.

Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta 10th Anniversary
    Also celebrating its 10th anniversary is the Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta®. Guests staying at the hotel during this 10th anniversary period will receive a 10th anniversary limited-edition room key, and will be able to purchase special hotel merchandise only available to them. Also, from September 4 through October 31, 2011, the hotel’s restaurants will offer festive menus in celebration of this commemorative anniversary.
    Source LaughingPlace
    Last edited by Malin; 06-10-2011 at 11:48 AM.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Re: Tokyo DisneySea 10th Anniversary Event "Be Magical!" Sep 4 - March 19

Thankyou for posting, I am getting so excited!!!

• Banned User

Wow. Hardly anything going on. Only thing that is "new" is decorations and a greeting show.

• Resident of the Caldera

It's a pretty itsy-bitsy line-up of non-events. They've already shot their load with Fantasmic and A Table is Waiting.

Too bad.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

When I went in 2010 in for Spring... they had

Meet and Smile
    Spring Carnivale: Fairies Primavera
    Legend of Mythica
    BraviSEAmo

And this was a non Anniversary year, I hope this Be Magical greeting show is really over the top. But regardless anything is better than what we get here in the states.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

At this point, I just can't stop thinking about what's missing:

• NO "Disney Halloween" at DisneySEA - not just not new, not at all.
    • NO "YOU CHOOSE Popcorn Campaign" which was one of the most original concepts
    • NO Web Project: "10 Years of Tokyo DisneySEA," apparently
    • NO Finale Special Event, apparently
    • NO sense that the new attractions, summer events or Fantasmic! are part of the Anniversary
    • NO full year of celebrating the best Disney park on the planet

Especially the Web Project + Popcorn Campaign...I just can't understand why this was cancelled. I don't question the cancellation of the Japan nationwide tour and Vacation Fair; transportation has been seriously hindered in many areas and there are practical, rational, understandable reasons this isn't happening. But building a minisite to celebrate the park and let people vote on a new popcorn flavor - how is that affected by the earthquake or tsunami??? It just doesn't make sense, and really adds to the feeling that things have been cut to save shareholders' profits, with the expectation that no one feels comfortable complaining about the cuts because it feels insensitive. Fans here feel this and aren't going, and this just seems to encourage executives to make even more compromises in guest experience, like opening attractions late. I say nay; I wanted that mystery popcorn! I'll still go, cos I love Tokyo DisneySEA. The most shameful thing is how much of my money they'll still get.

• Adventures with Duffy

Im glad to see they are still doing something for the 10th ann, but sad to see that so many people think its not all that much. Since I have only had one trip to TDR, anything sounds good to me.

I love the idea of choose your own popcorn campaign. That is so cool, great idea on OLC part. To bad they aren't doing it again this year. Its nice when guest feel apart of the decisions of what goes on or is offered at the parks. Its a great way to get people more involved and it sounds pretty simple for OLC to do.

Of course being a Duffy fan that is where I am looking for more items to be offered. But if I were going to the parks, I would hope they have more then what is being offered. I wonder why now? Did they loose a lot of what they were going to do, maybe things can't get made in time or were lost. Or it simple in trying to respect all those who we lost and not having a huge celebration?

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Banned User

Wow. Hardly anything going on. Only thing that is "new" is decorations and a greeting show.
    For a lot of people this will be the first opportunity to check out Fantasmic, A Table is Waiting and the Character Greeting Trails. Add to this a new Greeting show which will have up to 100 performers and all the decorations, merchandise and food. And I feel you have a rather strong line up. It would be nice to see them add the Halloween event into the mix. But totally get why there havn't here. For myself I will miss out on "Be Magical" and the Atsmophere entertainment why it takes a break in favour of the Christmas Event. But I do feel its a good line up if you add in the stuff that already kicked off at the end of April.

Especially the Web Project + Popcorn Campaign...I just can't understand why this was cancelled.
    This could always be brought back at a later date. September is still a long time away and some of the smaller projects could still make it in the final line up. What we are reading about with this Press Release are the main park featuresfor the Anniversary.

I am very interested to find out more on the food items. And the concept for the Be Magical Cafe. The theme for the Sailing Day Buffet also sounds rather impressive. Another bit of news thats come out of the recent Press Release is that the new menu's will start being introduced from June the 10th the same time as the new merchandise.

By the way do we have any pictures of the new merchandise?

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    ...I love the idea of choose your own popcorn campaign. That is so cool, great idea on OLC part. To bad they aren't doing it again this year. Its nice when guest feel apart of the decisions of what goes on or is offered at the parks. Its a great way to get people more involved and it sounds pretty simple for OLC to do...
    I don't think they've ever done it before, Janell. I think it was just part of the announced special events for the 10th. It's really a shame it got cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    ...But if I were going to the parks, I would hope they have more then what is being offered. I wonder why now? Did they loose a lot of what they were going to do, maybe things can't get made in time or were lost. Or it simple in trying to respect all those who we lost and not having a huge celebration?
    I think that's what everything is wondering...WHY???

And Malin, I already posted links to "Be Magical" merchandise HERE - and you replied! Now I'm confused...

I have some fresh perspective on OLC, though, since reading this press release from two days ago. The company has donated a total of 200M yen (about 2.5M US$) independently (on 3/18 and 3/30) and raised over 400M yen through park promotions and merchandise produced specifically for the Tohoku victims (donated 5/19).

In addition, they planned and conducted special greeting events for children in schools and shelters in Iwate, Miyagi, and Fukushima. I think this news has been kept fairly quiet due to concerns that if the public had known about these events, many fans may have shown up and taken the focus off of the children. I find it deeply disturbing that fears about overzealous fans taking over the events had to be an actual planning consideration, but I suspect it was probably a smart move.

Tokyo Disney Resort also teamed up with the Japan Association of Travel Agents to put together a free bus tour for 150 pairs of 1 elementary-aged child + accompanying adult twice in May and once this month, for a total of 900 people. The trips include ¥2500 Gift Cards for meals. The 2-day tours also included a visit to the Tokyo SkyTree, still currently under construction and accomodation for both days was also paid for.

I still don't understand why the popcorn + web promotion was affected by the earthquake, but OLC has been much more active than I was aware.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 06-11-2011 at 09:06 PM.

• Banned User

And Malin, I already posted links to "Be Magical" merchandise HERE - and you replied! Now I'm confused...
    Sorry DD yeah I got the link you provided. I was talking in reference to the merchandise being displayed at the park. Since most of it should be available to purchase now according to the above press release. I'm just interested to see how the finished product looks on the shelf and if any other individual merchandise items have made it that has not been released on the TDR website.

• Curious Explorer

From what I've following up, I think the OLC had done a great job so far. They've been into the donations thingy and recovering the resort and its parks at the same time. I know that the delays on the 10th Anniversary Celebration is a dissapointment, especially with the commencement of shows and attractions that's gone prior to the actual Celebration schedule, but we should give them a break.

It's a been some tough times after the disasters and many things had caused the resort to struggle. Getting the Anniversary finally up and running is already a good thing to know, even if it's may stretch far from we guests expectations. But as true fans, you'll be going to TDS anyway, disregarding how dissapointing the Celebration may be. I myself think that it's not gonna be that bad. The OLC had even remodified the concepts of "Be Magical!" to at last be more suitable, taking note that once before they had problems with carrying on with the sea theme considering the disaster that had strucked.

I'm not going to visit the parks for a long time, but I also feel dissapointed with the absent of TDS Halloween and cancellation of the interesting popcorn campaign. (still I'm not really familiar with the web project thing) Most of all, I'll miss the "Sea of Dreams" concept. But it seems that the current plans they have for the Anniversary will be great. I especially love the menu concept they'll serve at Sailing Day Buffet. I'll surely be waiting for pics from the Anniversary, and of course of the themed hats at each ports. A visit by the park's fans 'course won't hurt. TDS needs all the support it can get anyway.