• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Oriental Land Company's Relief Activities, credit where credit is due^^

I have some fresh perspective on OLC, though, since reading this press release from two days ago. The company has donated a total of 200M yen (about 2.5M US$) independently (on 3/18 and 3/30) and raised over 400M yen through park promotions and merchandise produced specifically for the Tohoku victims (donated 5/19).

In addition, they planned and conducted special greeting events for children in schools and shelters in Iwate, Miyagi, and Fukushima. I think this news has been kept fairly quiet due to concerns that if the public had known about these events, many fans may have shown up and taken the focus off of the children. I find it deeply disturbing that fears about overzealous fans taking over the events had to be an actual planning consideration, but I suspect it was probably a smart move.

Tokyo Disney Resort also teamed up with the Japan Association of Travel Agents to put together a free bus tour for 150 pairs of 1 elementary-aged child + accompanying adult twice in May and once this month, for a total of 900 people. The trips include ¥2500 Gift Cards for meals. The 2-day tours also included a visit to the Tokyo SkyTree, still currently under construction and accomodation for both days was also paid for.

I still don't understand why the popcorn + web promotion was affected by the earthquake, but OLC has been much more active than I was aware. Anyone know of other relief activities by Oriental Land Company?
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 06-17-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Shockingly embarrassing typo.^^

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Oriental Land Companies Relief Activities, credit where credit is due^^

That's really great of them!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing with us more details on this particular subject. I am happy to see the Resort contributing so much back to people that right now badly need cheering up. I am kind of sad however to not see them try and involve Park Guests more in the charitable kindness. My contributions have all been made via the Red Cross.

DD you mention a few months back about donating funds collected from Members on here to send Duffy Bears out to the children that have been affected by the disaster. Do you still have plans in place for this to go ahead?

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    DD you mention a few months back about donating funds collected from Members on here to send Duffy Bears out to the children that have been affected by the disaster. Do you still have plans in place for this to go ahead?
    After really understanding the situation and meeting people who have been up there to volunteer, I have a clearer picture of the reality rather than my own, basically selfish, vision of making kids smile with teddy bears. It's too expensive and there are better uses for that money. If it were possible to get OLC on board, maybe, but it makes absolutely no sense to do something like that paying retail price for the bears. I would have loved a campaign where for every Duffy sold in the parks, the OLC would deliver a Duffy to a child at a shelter. But I'm just not big enough to do anything about it on my own, and OLC is not interested in working with some foreigner who's not even part of the company. I wish they would involve guests, too. It seems very strange to me, as I have told anyone at OLC who will listen multiple times, not to be channeling that Disney energy right now. Honestly, I really feel this is another part of the reason for some people staying away from the parks. Disney fans form a highly visible community here and I think it seems "off" that the community leadership isn't bringing people together toward focused action. And if we're not gonna take action, perhaps it still feels wrong (to some) to be in the parks.

I still believe that comfort objects are important necessities in the face of disaster, it's true. However, there's such a need for socks and light summer clothing and frypans and rain gear and toothbrushes - where and how many changes all the time with donations coming from different sources - that I decided it really is more practical to just give money to the Red Cross or prepare a care package with the kinds of items people actually need. The Duffy idea would only be valuable if you could give one to every child, at least within the same area. Can you imagine how horrible it would be for one affected child to see her friend at the shelter with his new Duffy or to find out that she didn't get the bear just because she wasn't in the right place at the right time or something? I hadn't thought of that. If I couldn't give one to every child, I think it's better not to do it. Please keep making donations to Red Cross and praying, though. Things are still extremely hard for a lot of people in the northern region.

• Curious Explorer

It seems that OLC is being highly diligent in taking role in the disaster relief efforts. I really saluted them.

It's great also to know that you guys are thinking of some ideas to help out. Too bad that guests are not being involved by the OLC. Hope that the recovery may keep working out the best!