No countdown events at TDL & TDS on new years eve

OLC has announced that no countdown events at TDL & TDS on new years eve this year.
    They will do just only fireworks at midnight.
    No English news release yet.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: No countdown events at TDL & TDS on new years eve

Wow, that's a shocker! I thought the Countdown parties were the biggest events at the parks. They always seem to sell out and be super crowded. I wonder why? It's not like they have to spend too much anyway, because especially at TDL, it's a "best of" parade with some new costumes thrown in. I wonder what the reasoning was on this?

• Resident of the Caldera

Looks like they're hunkering down for poor business for at least a year.

• Loves Mickey!

We really wanted to go this year but it will come out much cheaper watching the fireworks outside from Ikspiari at least. :P DuffyDad, I know you were really looking forward to it and the cancellation is pretty shocking but I understand why they would cancel it. I wonder what the hotel room bookings will be like for new years. They shouldn't require you to book the two nights if it's just fireworks or is that still a requirement?

---------- Post added 06-24-2011 at 10:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Wow, that's a shocker! I thought the Countdown parties were the biggest events at the parks. They always seem to sell out and be super crowded. I wonder why? It's not like they have to spend too much anyway, because especially at TDL, it's a "best of" parade with some new costumes thrown in. I wonder what the reasoning was on this?
    It's not because of cost just that it's not a time to celebrate. The thing that I wish they would do is cancel the events like the anniversary completely as well. By going through with the anniversary as a merchandise event it makes efforts like this seem really insincere. Their decisions also just feel so erratic some things canceled some things not.
    Last edited by DreamSweetsLove; 06-23-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Kind of understandable. There is a custom in Japan that when someone dies in your family, you are not supposed to celebrate the New Year. They are not supposed to even send a New Year card (just like Christmas card in the US). Close to 30,000 people died a few months ago, I assume the whole nation will be fairly quiet over this New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    We really wanted to go this year but it will come out much cheaper watching the fireworks outside from Ikspiari at least. :P DuffyDad, I know you were really looking forward to it and the cancellation is pretty shocking but I understand why they would cancel it. I wonder what the hotel room bookings will be like for new years. They shouldn't require you to book the two nights if it's just fireworks or is that still a requirement?

---------- Post added 06-24-2011 at 10:11 AM ----------

It's not because of cost just that it's not a time to celebrate. The thing that I wish they would do is cancel the events like the anniversary completely as well. By going through with the anniversary as a merchandise event it makes efforts like this seem really insincere. Their decisions also just feel so erratic some things canceled some things not.
    Hm...I dunno... I was actually kinda expecting this somewhere in the pit of my stomach. It's disappointing in a selfish way but I think it is absolutely the right choice (see voleball's post below). However, I wouldn't have liked it if they canceled the TDS anniversary altogether; TDS still deserves recognition, I think...if the parks are open. That's really where it is for me. I think if they weren't gonna celebrate anything, the parks should just be closed. But then there's an economic problem... But if they're gonna cut everything and really involve the Resort in a sense of "grieving," I think they should NEVER have raised ticket prices. In fact, I think they should have reduced ticket prices (even if that meant reducing operations) and also I think some percentage of all merchandising should be going toward relief efforts throughout the year. This latest cut has officially made me feel guilty about even considering being an Annual Passholder this year, taking all of the fun out of it because I feel bad about going. And yet, I also still feel like OLC is fickle about how it leverages this guilt: they use it to make me accept less experience and yet when I complain about raised prices for said lessened experience, the response is that I should be understanding because of the earthquake. It's like all of the burden is on the Guests, darned if we do or don't. That's the part I have a problem with.

Quote Originally Posted by voleball View Post
    Kind of understandable. There is a custom in Japan that when someone dies in your family, you are not supposed to celebrate the New Year. They are not supposed to even send a New Year card (just like Christmas card in the US). Close to 30,000 people died a few months ago, I assume the whole nation will be fairly quiet over this New Year.
    Yes, this. But so many other choices are not in line with this. The selective framing of the situation that puts Guests in the most uncomfortable position is not fair or right, and I have officially grown tired of it. This has nothing to do with not caring about the people in Tohoku, the people who died, or the work still left for recovery. I don't like the way OLC has handled this. There's something seriously amiss in the tone of these choices, although, as I said, I think this was probably the right one.^^

• Loves Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Hm...I dunno... I was actually kinda expecting this somewhere in the pit of my stomach. It's disappointing in a selfish way but I think it is absolutely the right choice (see voleball's post below). However, I wouldn't have liked it if they canceled the TDS anniversary altogether; TDS still deserves recognition, I think...if the parks are open. That's really where it is for me. I think if they weren't gonna celebrate anything, the parks should just be closed. But then there's an economic problem... But if they're gonna cut everything and really involve the Resort in a sense of "grieving," I think they should NEVER have raised ticket prices. In fact, I think they should have reduced ticket prices (even if that meant reducing operations) and also I think some percentage of all merchandising should be going toward relief efforts throughout the year. This latest cut has officially made me feel guilty about even considering being an Annual Passholder this year, taking all of the fun out of it because I feel bad about going. And yet, I also still feel like OLC is fickle about how it leverages this guilt: they use it to make me accept less experience and yet when I complain about raised prices for said lessened experience, the response is that I should be understanding because of the earthquake. It's like all of the burden is on the Guests, darned if we do or don't. That's the part I have a problem with.

Yes, this. But so many other choices are not in line with this. The selective framing of the situation that puts Guests in the most uncomfortable position is not fair or right, and I have officially grown tired of it. This has nothing to do with not caring about the people in Tohoku, the people who died, or the work still left for recovery. I don't like the way OLC has handled this. There's something seriously amiss in the tone of these choices, although, as I said, I think this was probably the right one.^^

Regarding the anniversary I think that if they were doing things out of consideration of to Tohoku tragedy there wouldn't be a celebration. Wouldn't it have made ore sense to open the parks because of the local economy and stick to their normal seasonal events? Instead they have this erratic way of choosing what stays and what doesn't. Fantasmic spectacular stays, little summer night event canceled, big anniversary celebration stays, normal Halloween event cancelled. The new years event makes sense except they are still having the fireworks so I'm guessing still be able to charge for the New Years ticket price when it would have made more sense to just let guests either do the play all night thing with out the shows or parade or just completely cancel it.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

it is honestly all confusing, but again we are not running the company!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Loves Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
    it is honestly all confusing, but again we are not running the company!
    Clearly! Except it's not confusing at all is it? Seasonal events are cut to cut the costs of paying for cast and effects every night right? As tacky as it is to celebrate the anniversary the decorations were already made so why not decorate to park in giant wizard hats and have a party right? The same with Fantasmic it was already made so why not light up the night sky every night, fireworks are cancelled because it cost money to set them off every night. I think this New Years cancellation was very last minute because they had planned on going through with it (it was even listed in the Funderful mag that arrived today) but there must have been a big outlash about it, rightfully so. For them to play it off as meaning to have done it all along doesn't sit right.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

normal Halloween event cancelled
    This actually makes perfect sense to me. If your going to kick off an Anniversary Event you do not want it clashing with the Halloween Event. One of the two had to go and with the "Be Magical" merchandise sat out in storage it was much more convenient to continue with this Event. Its the same reason Hong Kong Disneyland waited until the new year before starting its 5th celebrations. And its not like OLC are really cutting back on anything here since the "Be Magical" Greeting show will be using around a 100 performers. Which is a big number and likely the same amount that would have been used for any new Halloween show planned.

In regards to the New Years Eve Countdown Events. First thank you Bandit for posting the news. Second you have to wonder how many of the cutbacks are simply because OLC are looking for a reason to cut back on some of the shows. Will be interesting to see next years line up when it made available and how much returns. On the bright side if the reason the cutbacks are down to the decline in attendance. It keeps several hundreds of Cast Members still in work.

By the way when we usually discuss cutbacks at the Resort. Someone will always say " Despite the cutbacks, its still more than what we get at WDW each year".
    Last edited by Malin; 06-24-2011 at 12:34 AM.

It's not the cutbacks themselves that bother me; it's the inconsistent tone and message. If events are cut for the sake of costs, ticket prices should not be raised. If events are cut out of respect to Tohoku, then some part of sales should be going to relief and there should be no fireworks at Countdown. We can have a candlelight vigil instead and sell special lights, all proceeds to recovery efforts. By doing this willy-nilly, it feels to me like they are using Guests' sadness to justify cuts that save their profits. Even with the decline in attendance, it's not like all these cuts are necessary to keep the company alive. If Guests are to accept paying more for less, I think the company should be sacrificing, too.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by voleball View Post
    Oh, this makes a lot of sense then. I do agree with Ichigopara that OLC is being a little selective on what they cancel and don't, but thank you for giving us a little bit of perspective, Voleball. It does seem like the right thing to do from a tradition standpoint.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Kind of surprising since I know New Year's is the BIG holiday in Japan (when I was in high school, I had a pen pal in Tokyo & she told me how it was a big 3 day celebration and everything). But if the tradition in the wake of tragedy/death is to not celebrate it, then yeah it makes sense.