Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is three days enough for a first time visit to TDR?

Hello all,

I am planning my first visit to TDR and was curious on thoughts of how many days would be the best. I was planning on either 3 or 4 actual park days with 4 or 5 nights at the Hilton Tokyo Bay. Would 4 park days be too much that time of the year? Plans would have me at TDR the week of May 13, 2012 so I was going to be at the parks M-Th or T-Th.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Carmen

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: Is three days enough for a first time visit to TDR?

No, three days is not enough. You need two days for each park ... you'll WANT more.

Make sure to visit the parks only from Monday through Friday. Saturday and Sunday are very busy.

I often stay at the Hilton Tokyo Bay--it's a beautiful hotel with a great staff. You'll walk about 3 minutes to the Bayside Station of the monorail (Disney Resort Line).

There are some excellent restaurants in Iksipiari, so don't ignore those.

Thanks Fukai. Sounds like 4 days will be the plan. I am going to have 5 days in Tokyo before TDR so I know I will want to see as much as I can once I get there.

Carmen

I have to agree with Fukai above.. We visited for 4 days and could have easily stayed 2 more days doing a few things we missed, and would have liked to try. It was that much fun to enjoy Tokyo Disney.
    But realistically... I guess it would depend on what you like to do.. We have small kids so we did all of the rides, including the ones catering to children. I wanted to see all the shops and try as many restaurants. We also made a point of seeing as much of the excellent live entertainment. The stage shows and parades at Tokyo Disney were beyond Disney quality and much better produced than those we have seen at other Disney parks (Hong Kong Disneyland also had great live parades and shows BTW..) So I highly recommend you do AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE and get your yens' worth. Trust me.. you will wish you had more than 4 days to enjoy this MOST EXCELLENT Disney resort.

Thanks Aotphks.

I am going with the 5 nights/4 days that I initially planned. We are two adults but we love the Disney parks and I am always into experiencing attractions we don't have in the states. This will be my first Disney experience outside of the US and I am excited about it.

Forgot to add: get to your hotel the night before your first day at the park. That way you can wake up early, have a bite to eat, and get online at the gates 30 to 45 minutes BEFORE park opening without having to wake up at 4 am. This is very important. Monster's Inc. first, then Pooh, and RUN when you get past the gate (if you can). Remember that every person you pass is one less person you have to wait behind.

Thanks Fukai. We are planning on getting there on Sunday May 13 and spending the Monday through Thursday at the parks. Would you recommend TDL or TDS for a Monday? We will go as quick as we can to Monsters Inc etc but my partner is older and I am not sure if we will be running. I am hoping that since we will be there during the week that the park will be a little less crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic513 View Post
    Thanks Aotphks.

I am going with the 5 nights/4 days that I initially planned. We are two adults but we love the Disney parks and I am always into experiencing attractions we don't have in the states. This will be my first Disney experience outside of the US and I am excited about it.
    Good plan and trust me.. if you are crazy about Disney parks.. you will just melt in excitement when you step into Tokyo Disney Resort. However.. be awared than many things there (mostly crowd control procedures and guest behaviors) are different than at Disney World or Disneyland. I was in awe at things like how the guests sit on the floor to watch parades, or wait patiently in line for over 2 hours for major rides, or even stand in very long lines to buy popcorn, etc. The park employees were very efficient making sure visitors were respecting the safety rules.. We were also surprised at arriving at the park close to opening time and finding THOUSANDS of guests standing in line to enter.. so take Fukai's advise and arrive early.

I do have one concern for you and it is the time you plan to visit. If I am not mistaken, there is a vacation time off school for kids in Japan sometime in May.. so plan carefully because if you go during "high season", you will be dealing with crowds like you have never seen at Disneyland or Disney World. I think I read that here somewhere about visiting during spring break and summer vacation in august.
    So do some research so you don't get caught in very crowded conditions.

Thanks Aotphks. As far as I can tell from my research my visit to Tokyo and TDR will be after Golden Week and the major holidays in early May. I plan to tour Tokyo prior and do the parks the following week.

---------- Post added 08-23-2011 at 06:07 PM ----------

Here is the site I am using as a guide for the holiday schedule. I am planning on a flight from the US on May 7.

Golden Week

Yes, avoid Golden Week and you'll be fine.

And, indeed, the parks are less crowded during the week, but that doesn't mean they are NOT crowded--everything is relative. They are much more crowded than US parks during the week, so they are crowded almost every day (except for January, February, and a part of April). But on weekends they are SUPER crowded--two and three hour lines for all the major attractions.

If you don't think your partner can run, then just be on line an hour before the park opens. You will be near the front. When you and your partner pass through the gate, take his/her ticket once they're also in the parks and YOU run to Monster's Inc. and get a FastPass. Tell your partner to go to Pooh's Hunny Hunt, where you will meet them after retrieving your two FastPasses. Then ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt (standbye line should not be more than 20 minutes yet), and follow the usual schedule from there.

Thanks again for your advice. I do have a question about World Bazaar. Can you exit from World Bazaar midway and head to Monster's Inc that way or do you need to go all the way to the end and come back?

World Bazaar has four entrances/exits:
    1. Front (enter from the center of the main gate)
    2. Back (straight shot through World Bazaar and out the back onto the hub)
    3. Right, midway down the street (when you're facing the Castle--this leads to Tomorrowland)
    4. Left, midway down the street (when you're facing the Castle--this leads to Adventureland).

You want to take the Right exit, which goes right to Monsters, Inc.

In Disneyland, the "halfway" streets (which are dead ends) are West Center Street, where the Carnation Cafe is located, and East Center Street, which has an ice cream window at the end (and the lockers).
    Last edited by Fukai; 08-26-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Added more information

thank you for the advice about golden week.
    i just checked the dates for when we are going and right in the middle of golden week but least the two days that we are there are not highlighted

@1rocky

I have heard a lot of stories about how busy it is during Golden Week but as long as you know that going in then you know what to expect.

Where are you flying from? I am still researching airfare but have not purchased any yet.

thanks Mosaic 513 the experience even if busy will be something
    I am flying from Sydney Australia.
    i have researched into some flights some from Australia including Jetstar and also looking for something that will have a stopover in Toyko before going to Beijing
    I notice you are from Tampa florida hope also to visit wdw one day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast