• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Visitors returning to Tokyo Disney Resort in a big way

Visitors to Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea increased on a year-on-year basis in August, recovering from the sharp dropoff following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, the president of operator Oriental Land Co. said in a recent interview. The Japan Times Online
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• Carbon based

Re: Visitors returning to Tokyo Disney Resort in a big way

Good for them although I was, very selfishly, happy to see small crowds when visiting late June! At the same time, they did a wonderful job keeping the service level high AND adding attractions although the crowds were no longer there. It is admirable the level of faith and care they have for their product and their testament to quality is paying off, again and again!

Quote Originally Posted by TreoFred View Post
    Good for them although I was, very selfishly, happy to see small crowds when visiting late June! At the same time, they did a wonderful job keeping the service level high AND adding attractions although the crowds were no longer there. It is admirable the level of faith and care they have for their product and their testament to quality is paying off, again and again!
    Absolutely. So true and reason why we have scrapped our family vacation plans to go to Disney World since they are doing nothing for their 40th anniversary. May return to Tokyo Disney Resort again in 2012. No better Disney parks are found in the World.

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

May return to Tokyo Disney Resort again in 2012. No better Disney parks are found in the World.
    I disagree a little with that statement. Having just return from Disneyland in Anaheim. I felt the experience from the Cast Members to upkeep and maintenance was outstanding. Tokyo Disney Resort will win if you include the special events. But not all the Disney parks around the world are in sharp decline. Although I do agree that if your not impressed with WDW or its stale offerings. Canceling and going else where is the right thing to do here.

With the 10th Anniversary starting today. Its looking more and more likely OLC will make a profit this year.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Hello Malin, maybe you have missed my previous post in which I commented that Disneyland resort is just as good in overall quality as Tokyo Disney resort. However, my comment about Tokyo having the best Disney parks was made as a general comment and taking consideration as the resort as a whole experience. While I love both resorts in Anaheim and Tokyo equally, Tokyo Disney resort will always have the edge because you can just not compare Disneysea with California Adventures. So to recap.. as a "whole" package, Tokyo resort is the best in my opinion, and Disneyland Resort is a very very close second best, overall.

• Resident of the Caldera

I would beg to differ. The best Disney resort in the world is Tokyo, but the best single park is the original Disneyland in Anaheim. Because the second gate in California is still weak (and I don't see Carsland turning DCA into real competition for DisneySea), the Tokyo Disney Resort with two world-class theme parks and three world-class Disney hotels (which are equalled in Anaheim only by the Grand Californian), will remain on top for decades. It will take that long before the Walt Disney Company fully fleshes out DCA, and builds another world-class hotel, and expands its Downtown Disney.

• Curious Explorer

Oh yeah! This made my day so sunny hahaha.

Of course TDR is worth to be considered incomparable not just for the beuatiful Disney Sea park, but it's also the only one in the world. And the OLC had done an admirable work with it. Put a lot of effort to make the best of it. DCA shouldn't be compared to DisneySea. By the looks of it, DCA is a theme park but Disney Sea is another world. They're on different scale I guess.

• Banned User

Great news.

You only have to look at the wait times posted on Deep Disney every day to see that the park is not busy AT ALL. Wait times are a third of what they used to be during the Halloween season.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I am guessing these results are due to the half price kid tickets!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

I'll be able to get a better "read" on all of this when I go in less than a month! But I wouldn't mind the wait times that are currently listed--and that's for the start of the 10th anniversary of DisneySEA.

I will definitely agree the crowds have picked up -- still not what they were last year on the same opening Halloween weekend, however much more crowded than when I was here in May/June. I flew in Thursday to cover the Halloween celebration and the 10th anniversary festivities. Last year, I came at the same time to photo the Halloween event and I spent the entire day on Friday photographing guest costumes...this year, Friday was quite dead. Saturday definitely picked up and ride lines were definitely longer. It was so quiet in May/June, they were not even giving FPs out the days we were there. 15 minutes before the Easter parade, there were still "front row" sidewalk spots left by the castle.

And just my two cents, I think Tokyo is the best overall and I grew up (literally) at Disneyland in Anaheim -- I used to go sometimes 4-5 times a week. I just returned from Anaheim two weeks ago after covering the D23 Expo and spending a few days at DL with colleagues....don't get me wrong, DL will always hold a special place in my heart. I lived through the construction and opening of DCA and it's flop. Overall, many aspects of the US Parks have declined that perhaps a casual visitor would not pick up on versus those of us who have gone day in and day out (probably the same in reverse for Tokyo locals). The special events, the theming, the foods, the merchandise...all are just a few things I prefer at Tokyo. DL and WDW have gone down in merchandise quality quite a bit over the years and most of the die hard collectors will agree. Special private events are next to nothing now, the high-end art and collectibles are virtually non-existent, etc. They used to do a lot of private events that were great, now they rarely happen. The last "big" one was the Haunted Mansion 40th anniversary in 2009 and it was awesome. I'm flying back out again in 2 weeks for the Halloween events at both WDW and DL, plus the private Haunted Mansion event at WDW -- it is my first private event there, so I will be quite interested to see how it is handled. Some of the merchandise is pretty cool so I have high hopes. I'd like to see them pick back up again.
    New Disney Blog: Pooh's Travels
    Worldwide Disney Theme Parks Examiner for Examiner.com

The Haunted Mansion Event at Walt Disney World is looking very shabby. It will be the first time a Haunted Mansion event does not sell out in advance. The parting gift has already been revealed and people are flocking to eBay to sell them because it's such a dud.

I wish they would do another Disneyana Fan Festival at the Tokyo Disney Resort. The first one was superb.