Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Joe Flowers

Re: Joe's Tokyo Disney trip report - October 1st to 16th, 2011 - Lots of pictures

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    They've been doing this at WDW now as well. Last month when I was at Downtown Disney, I watched a custodial CM do a drawing of Minnie, which generated a good sized crowd. It's really fun to watch them do that stuff.
    Definitely! We caught them a few other times as well drawing Minnie in her wizard hat, and Mickey too.
    Name:  Drawings.jpg
Views: 2116
Size:  177.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    The popularity of those bears in Japan never cease to amaze me. The ones who lug those BIG bears around all day definitely get props in my book. There's no way I could do that. It's a handful enough with just my "normal" size Duffy and Shellie May in the tote bag (but always worth it). I love how the walk-around characters get excited when they see guests with their own bears all dressed up. Last month at Epcot, Duffy went straight for my Shellie May when he saw her and didn't really want to give her back when it was time for the next person in line. It was hilarious.
    It definitely makes for some fun interactions with the characters. Definite props to the people carrying those around all day.

That was something else I noticed about the people there. Just about every other person had something they bought at the resort. Tokyo Disneyland must make so much money on souvenirs.

Quote Originally Posted by ben1993 View Post
    Amazing TR! You're seriously making me want to plan a TDR trip next year and destroy my budget! LOL!
    The question in your signature, "California or Tokyo next...", that's a really tough decision. California has some great things going for it. With Cars Land opening up in the summer and World of Color it definitely offers some unique experiences, but then so do the Tokyo Disney parks. You could really destroy your budget and just fly to California and then continue on to Japan and do both parks!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Joe's Tokyo Disney trip report - October 1st to 16th, 2011 - Lots of pictures

Quote Originally Posted by mre200200 View Post
    That was something else I noticed about the people there. Just about every other person had something they bought at the resort. Tokyo Disneyland must make so much money on souvenirs.
    Well, considering the awesome array of merchandise they have there, that's pretty much a given. I've managed to collect a nice little hoard of Tokyo Disney merchandise over the years (ear hat, plushies, etc.) and the variety quality is always so superior to what the US parks put out. Plus the special event merchandise (park anniversaries, holidays) is different nearly every year, so it's easy to get addicted to collecting.

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Thanks! for an awesome Trip Report.

The 360 is amazing.

Can't wait to go there soon.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Joe Flowers

I think we're overdue for an update, don't you?

This was my first full night of uninterrupted sleep and I slept at the way to 7:15am. Hopefully I'm adjusted now. Today we're traveling to Tokyo but we're not checking out of our hotel until 11. That leaves us with some time to explore the hotels and other things we skipped cause we were so busy in the park. Breakfast was a bowl of Cup of Noodles and then we were off. Theresa and I grabbed a one day monorail pass and were off. The first stop was Disney Sea and the beautiful Hotel Miracosta.

We got to the park just before the park opened so I got some great photos looking into the park from the monorail station.

From the top level of the monorail station, there is an exit directly to the hotel.

In the front of the hotel was a beautiful fountain.

Entering the hotel, the lobby has a huge vaulted ceiling, with a ship showpiece in the center.

The north elevator had a sign saying it was for hotel guests only. It was even guarded by a hotel worker checking hotel keys. We kept exploring the lower level and eventually came to the south elevator. No such signs here, so we headed up to the 5th floor. We were hoping for some good views into the park from here. but there wasn't a whole lot to see. I didn't even take any photos.

We walked back towards the lobby and got a closer view of the murals above the lobby. This is an interesting take on Ariel.

We still had more exploring to do before we leave, so we headed back to the monorail and were off towards the Disneyland Hotel. Here's a monorail map for those who are interested.

Looking into the Disneyland from the top of the monorail station.

Directly opposite the entrance is the beautiful Disneyland Hotel.

If you were driving up to it instead of taking the monorail, you get to see a cool fountain with Apprentice Mickey from Fantasia and the brooms emptying their buckets into the fountain.

Looking down into the beautiful lobby.

With lots of interesting decorations.

An interesting dollhouse. Lots of Disney characters are hidden throughout.

Catching Ariel in the tub. And it looks like Nemo is there too.

With some interesting artwork hanging around.

And then it was time to head back to the hotel and meet up with Jacob and Ruston. Here's the view leaving the hotel and back on to the monorail.

How close is the Hilton Tokyo Bay hotel to the monorail? Just across the street. We definitely enjoyed staying here. It was super convenient, everyone was very nice, the convenience store in the lobby was great (no credit cards though), and the room was great! I wouldn't mind staying here again (and you'll see that we actually did in a later post).

So, what did Ruston and Jacob do with all their free time in the morning? Looking out our hotel window we can see Tokyo Bay. We could see fishermen and joggers and other people running along it. Ruston and Jacob decided to go explore that.

The first difficulty was trying to get over there. There was no marked path.

And no crosswalks either apparently.

And this is where you climb through the plants.

Huh. An 8 foot drop? I guess looking from the window on the 6th floor, you can't really tell there's a bit of a drop. There was a ladder for people who wanted to climb down, but this was close enough for them.

Looking out into the bay.

And the view back towards our hotel.

We all packed our bags and were off to the monorail. We all packed light and we were sure glad we did. Getting over to the JR Mahaima line from the monorail was easy. Just a quick trip to the Ikspiari station and a short walk to the JR line. Once we got to the Tokyo station we were amazed by how huge it was! This was where we were glad we packed light because the walk from one end of the station to the other must have taken 15 minutes. Walking up stairs, up escalators, across wide expanses, past shops, down stairs, down escalators. Wow, absolutely huge.

We finally made it over the to Yamanote line, grabbed a seat, I think it was something like a 30 minute trip to our stop. Along the way we just watched all the building go by and marveled all the sites around Tokyo. Once there it was just a short 1.6km walk to our hotel. We even found a 7/11 just a couple doors down from our Citadines hotel which was great, because the 7/11s are one of the few places that accepts foreign ATM cards. We learned before that Japan is almost entirely cash only, so we got enough here to last us a few days.
    Check-in at the Citadines was super easy and the hotel staff spoke great English. We also arrived about an hour before the official check-in time, but there were rooms available and we were able to head right up.

The rooms were really modern and super clean.

And even had a kitchenette with a small fridge.

It was then time to head to explore the city. We didn't have much on our agenda today. Just around the corner was a supermarket. They had plenty of interesting things but we didn't want to carry them around the city. Just outside a street vendor was selling hot sweet potatoes and since Theresa's on a sweet potato kick, she got one.

The rest of us were hungry, but what to eat? We stopped by a department store because we heard there were cheap eats there. Not this one apparently. So many choices, so much plastic food everywhere, but nothing we really wanted. I'll admit, once we decided we were not very adventurous at all. Pretty much the complete opposite of adventurous. We saw a Shakeys pizza just down the street and for just 850 yen (~$11) we could have all you can eat pizza, curry, soup, and noodles. There were some interesting pizza flavors, including corn, fried teriyaki chicken w/ seaweed, cuttlefish, tuna fish, chocolate banana, apple cinnamon, and sweet potato/marshmallow/bean paste. The owner even asked us if we wanted a particular pizza and made a pepperoni just for us.

After lunch, we continued our walk through Tokyo. There were a few interestingly designed buildings.

The main thing on our list was the Tokyo Metropolitan Government buildings. That's it in the distance.

One of the best things about it is the free observatory up on the 45th floor. From here, you get a great view of the Tokyo skyline.

And all of our ears popped while we were going up the elevator.

Not for those who are scared of heights.

Back down in the lobby, there was an expo showing off locally produced goods. They had a samples of fruits. Here Theresa got a sample of an Asian Pear (are they just pears here?).

Inside there was a lady at a weaving loom. After watching for a little while, she motioned like "would I like to try?" Of course! It was a tight fit, but I made it.

She didn't speak much English, but she showed me how to work the pedals and then showed me how to toss the shuttle through the weave. I threw the shuttle through and promptly broke the thread! Yikes!

I was a bit embarrassed, but we were able to work it out. In English she repeated “Ohmygod, Ohmygod” which we all found really funny. She tied the thread back together and it wasn’t a big deal.

After a few more tries I started getting the hang of it and it was a really fun experience. The one thing I still don’t understand is how they dyed the thread in the first place to make the pattern. It was all one piece of thread, but when you weaved it, it made this dragon pattern.

We then went downstairs and saw the government building represented in Lego (no photos allowed), plus a huge fruit that we were told came from an octopus tree. And it was from an island just 25 hours away by ferry since there was no airport. I'm not sure how many people they were expecting to come visit.

There was a place selling dried purple sweet potato chips. And yes, you guessed it. Theresa got some.

We then took the elevator up the north observation tower. Pretty similar views from the south tower.

This tower had lots of little shops where you could buy souvenirs. Most of us learned how to spell our name with Japanese character. Poor Ruston....

A sign here said that on a good day you can see Mount Fuji. Today was not a good day for seeing Mount Fuji.

The lights starting to come on in Tokyo.

Then we took a walk back to the hotel.

Still pretty crowded. We stopped back by the grocery store and stocked up on goodies and snacks.

We then hit the guidebooks and figured out what we were going to do the next day.

It was a little bit of a slow day with lots of walking, but we were happy to slow down. Tomorrow we'll be doing a bit more walking. It's sure to be exciting though. Everything is so different here and we're really looking forward to seeing it. Until next time...

Another brilliant update!
    Disneyland Paris: August 1999 Sante Fe - October 2000 Sante Fe - March 2002 Sante Fe - November 2010 Cheyenne
    Walt Disney World: May 2011 All Star Movies - November 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Tokyo Disney Resort: 2012 (hopefully!)

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yay! Great photos! Love the Hello Kitty bus!

• World Traveler

Thanks so much for the TR! It brings back lots of good memories of TDR!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Awesome pictures!

We also stayed at Citadines Shinjuku in April 2010 and October 2011. I love dealing with the reservation lady via email, they are so kind. I cannot recommend this hotel enough!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Joe Flowers

The holidays have settled down and I've found some free time to add the next day to the trip report.

Japan, Day 7 - 10/08/2011 Exploring Tokyo

Today started bright and early at 7:30 so we could get to the Fish Market. Along the way, we passed a really tasty French pastry place that had chocolate croissants, sausage croissants, and a ham/potato croissant.

All of them were delicious.

We went down to the railway and bought a day pass since we knew we’d be all around Tokyo today.

After a change-over, we got to the fish market. I don’t think I’ve seen such a busy place ever before. After trying to walk into one section we were turned away since it was off limits to visitors. We walked down a crowded street with lots of stalls; some selling spices, vegetables and fruits, and fish.

We went into a small marketplace where we tried a sample of apple.

We thought these were interesting. Pumps that came down from the ceiling instead of from an island on the ground.

We then found another entrance to the market where a guard gave us a map showing where everything was and the areas that were off-limits. Off-limits because they were dangerous to have people wandering around.
    Theresa wondering if there's anything around the corner coming for us.

An officer directing traffic.

And then it was a mad rush. There were so many carts delivering things all around to different stalls and there was so much traffic

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many fish ever before, even in an aquarium. And how the whole thing stayed organized I have no idea.

There were stalls everywhere you looked, and fish from tiny little anchovies and roe, to huge tuna.

Surprisingly the place didn’t smell nearly as fishy as I would have thought, and the whole time there, I think I only saw one fly.

Now coming out of there, we were wondering what the bottom of our shoes had on them and Ruston wondered what would happen if you licked the bottom of your shoe. That thought hadn’t even crossed my mind. We eventually decided you'd get some sort of super power and be able to talk to fish, but no one wanted to try it.

We exited the fish market and went through more of the local shops. I found a place selling skewered meats and tried chicken and beef. Both were tasty.

Theresa came to a place that had apples and both she and Ruston got one of those. I never did happen to see a sushi place I wanted to stop at, so even though that’s probably the freshest I’ll ever find it, I still haven’t tried sushi.

Someone is happy.

We jumped back on the railway and got to the Ginza crossing, which was supposed to be one of the busiest crossings in the world.

Apparently on a Saturday around 10am, not so much...

As luck would have it, we were right across the street from Mitsukoshi department store, and they had just opened. As we walked down the halls, all the employees were bowing to each customer. And when one would bow, it set off a chain reaction and the next person would bow and then the next. Theresa collected something like 7 bows.

We went down to the lower level where the food was sold. There was all sorts of variety here. I was amazed at the sheer number of different stalls on this one floor. And at every one of them, presentation of the food was the most important thing. Everything just looked amazing. There was even a Korean stall selling lots of different kinds of kimchi that you could smell from a little ways away, though T didn’t end up getting anything.

Jake did find some mochi. Going down one more level we found what must be the most expensive steaks I’ve ever seen. They were 4900 yen / 100 g, which worked out to $290 / pound. Yikes! They sure did look tasty though. Here's a photo of a 3000 yen / 100 g ($175/lb) Rib Eye. There were even refrigerated lockers to leave your purchases in while you kept shopping. We found a pastry place that had a chocolate chip bread that looked good so we got some of that to go, and then made our way out.

We passed by the Apple store and saw so many flowers and post-its to Steve Jobs. He had died 3 days before and there were so many tributes to him there.

Then we walked to the Tokyo International Forum. It looked really amazing with all the glass and steel.

While there, Theresa saw a place just across the way had a Halloween pastry that she wanted to try. We stopped by and all got something, including the pumpkin pastry we saw. We all bought a tasty treat and sat down to enjoy.

Heading back to the train station, Jacob found another mochi place and bought a strawberry/whipped cream mochi that was really tasty.

Monty Python's Spamalot is apparently showing here.

Jumping back on the train to go to our next stop.

We then went to the biggest electronics store I’ve ever seen. This was 9 floors of electronics on a floor where you couldn’t see the end of the building from one side to the other it was so big. I didn't take many photos while in here.

The home theater section had a Sharp Aquos 70” tv 3-D capable for only 7800 yen (~$10000). Guess the prices are a little inflated here, since that same TV sells at Costco back home for $3000. Our absolute favorite find was on the 6th floor where all the foot massage and back massage chairs were set up and available to try. Seriously we must have spent 30 minutes just trying out all the different ones they had and just enjoying some time off our feet. The foot massage units weren’t even that expensive ($100) and at one point, I think Theresa was considering buying one and taking it all over Japan with us for the rest of the trip so she could get foot massages after a long day of walking around. She didn’t do that, but I’m thinking we’ll be getting one when we get back home. They also had some medical massage chairs for just $4000. We weren’t sure if they were available to try, but Ruston was bold and sat in one. A short time later, one of the employees working the section came over and checked to make sure he was getting the full experience with the back, neck and calves. Apparently it was encouraged to try them out. After slowly dragging ourselves away from the massage section, we made it to the 8th floor for lunch. There were lots of different places that looked tasty, but we decided on an Indian Curry place. The other 3 got curry w/ rice and nan and a white sweet yogurty drink that was pretty good, while I got the fried basket including fried chicken (boneless thigh pieces, really tasty), onion rings and fries, plus some garlic nan. It was all very tasty.

The 9th floor was golf equipment, which we weren’t really interested in, but figured we’d check it out anyhow. We were happy we did because we saw a small driving range just outside that was fully enclosed on the top of this building. The wall was only something like 30m from the tees. The other interesting thing they had was an automatic contraption to put a new ball on the tee. When you hit the ball, the tee lowered into the ground and then popped up a couple seconds later with a ball on top ready to hit again. I'm not a golfer so maybe these are all over the states and I just don't know, but it was my first time seeing something like that.

Another short trip on the train and we headed to the Imperial Gardens. We’ve really been impressed with how friendly the Japanese people have been here. All the shopkeepers have been super nice, everyone says good morning. We were even on the street just with our subway map out and someone came over and asked us in English if we needed help finding something. Besides the occasional pushing and shoving when in a line for something, everyone has been super polite.

We started on a small forest trail.

Very pretty views in here.

Pretty nice to have this big garden in the middle of bustling downtown Tokyo.

Oh Ruston...

You're so crazy.

We then made our way to the older walled off areas.

Quite a contrast seeing all this green open space when just outside the walls there are multiple skyscrapers and busy streets. I tried to keep them out of the photo, but a lot of other people were enjoying it too. We saw an older businessman enjoying his lunch, a couple ladies enjoying a meal, an older gentleman getting a little grabby with his younger girlfriend, and then there was us. Four people from the States enjoying a few minutes rest on a beautiful day on the green palace gardens lawn thousands of miles from home in downtown Tokyo.

The palace grounds were closing at 4:30pm, so we had to take off. It was just a quick train ride back to our hotel. Along the way, we stopped at the grocery store for supplies for the next day. We're heading to Hakone and we had read that there are limited food options there and everything is pretty expensive.

We were all pretty full from snacking all day, so instead of dinner, we just stopped by the Choco Cro where we had bought breakfast and grabbed a couple more pastries.

Tomorrow we're using our Rail Pass for the first time. We also get to ride on a bullet train! Should be fun!

• Mickatey Mouse

this is probably the best trip report ever!! my boyfriend and i are disneyland passholders and i hope that one day we can make it to tokyo disney.. thank you for sharing these pictures and stories with us all!

---------- Post added 12-30-2011 at 12:47 AM ----------

oh and my boyfriend says you look like jack from lost and i totally agree! have you ever gotten that before?? haha

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by mickatey View Post
    this is probably the best trip report ever!! my boyfriend and i are disneyland passholders and i hope that one day we can make it to tokyo disney.. thank you for sharing these pictures and stories with us all!

---------- Post added 12-30-2011 at 12:47 AM ----------

oh and my boyfriend says you look like jack from lost and i totally agree! have you ever gotten that before?? haha
    Glad you like it. Me and my friends all loved LOST (until the final season when it didn't seem like it was going to wrap up well). That's a first though for me, hearing that I look like Jack.

How about an update...

---------- Post added 01-11-2012 at 04:17 PM ----------

Japan, Day 8 - 10/09/2011 Off to Hakone

The day started bright and early at seven fifteen. We left the Citadines bright and early to get to the station with plenty of time to spare. Along the way we stopped by a Mister Donut for breakfast. We were a little sad they didn't have the bear donuts we had seen on some other trip reports. Theresa got the biggest surprise. What she thought was a fruit tart turned out to be an onion and maybe seafood tart. Along the walk to the train station we even saw a cat hotel where they have cats sitting around in a room and people pay by the hour t play with cats and buy them treats and trinkets. No time to stop though. We've got reservations for a bullet train.

It may look complicated but it was surprisingly easy to get around on.

Glad we packed light cause we've got a little bit of traveling to do.

We took the train over to the bullet train that would take us to Oduwara. It was just a quick twenty six minute ride on the bullet train to get out of the city to Oduwara.

Once there we bought our Hakone free passes to use for the rest of the day. Our plan was to leave all our bags at the station and only take an overnight bag out to Hakone. We found lockers and were able to fit all our bags into one. There was also a nice staff member who saw us looking at our map after we got our free pass and made sure we knew where we were going. He waited for us when we packed up our stuff for the locker, helped us get change, and told us where to go, and all in pretty good English. Another instance of the Japanese being very helpful.

We then boarded the train for Hakone-Yamote. It was just a little crowded.

Once we got there though, a train to Gora was just leaving and it was absolutely packed (think white gloved staff members shoving people on the train). The next train wasn't for thirty minutes but luckily we were one of the first to board so when it did come we all got seats. The train really started getting full just a few minutes before we left with just one more person squeezing in, then just one more person again. Little did we know that this was going to be the start of a lot of waiting today. It was a twenty six minute ride to the cable car.

Unfortunately everyone else was going to the same place we were, so the line for the cable car was really long. I think we waited around 30-40 minutes to take a 10 minute cable car ride up.

After the cable car, we were at the top of a mountain with some cool views.

Unfortunately we were right there with a bunch of other people all waiting to get on the skyway gondola. It ended up taking 50 minutes to finally get on.

Some very good advice.

We took an 8 minute ride up the mountain and went over some sulfur pools. All this time we've been looking for Mt. Fuji, but haven't had much luck. It's been pretty cloudy over in that direction. We're really hoping we'll get a chance to see it since we've heard stories of other coming to Japan and never seeing the mountain.

Once we got to the top, this was a transfer point. There was a small lookout point here plus a restaurant. It was also a giant bottleneck because everyone who came up is also trying to continue. We had to get in another line to get the rest of the way. That line took about an hour.

So after an hour wait, we're on our way down the mountain. Mt. Fuji was still covered in clouds, so still no luck seeing it.

15 minutes later, we were at the lake where we just missed the pirate boat. The next one would arrive in 30 minutes. Are you detecting a theme for today?

At least we were one of the first to board though and were able to get a place right at the front of the ship.

There were two stops along the way. We were really glad they didn't make everyone get off the ferry at the first stop and let us stay on the boat the whole time. We didn't want to wait in line again. The skies were blue, the water was calm, and it was just a bit chilly due to being at the front. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

The leaves were just starting to change as well. If only we'd been here two weeks later.

After a while, we headed down to where it was warmer. Unfortunately it wasn't quite tall enough for Jacob and Ruston.

We never did get a chance to eat lunch since we were waiting in line so much. We only got to snack, so we decided to walk to the town and see what food was available before catching the bus to the hotel.

We saw an ice cream place with all sorts of interesting flavors that we decided to try after dinner. There were 30 different flavors!

Which kind would you try?

We browsed a few menus and eventually we found a traditional japanese place where we took our shoes off and sat at a low table. What's with all these restaurants serving curry? I had a fried pork cutlet with curry and rice that was fried nicely and tasted great.

Unfortunately after dinner the ice cream place was closed. That just goes to show you, you should never wait to get ice cream.

We got back to the place where the buses were loading and hopped on one. We showed the driver where we wanted to get off and sat down. Part way through the trip we here "Theresa, Theresa" from the back of the bus. Ruston was sitting in the back of the bus and got a glimpse of Mt Fuji peeking from behind the clouds. We'd been looking for it all day but it was just too hazy and cloudy. We were all pretty excited to finally see it.

After a few more stops we got up and asked the driver about our stop. Turns out he'd forgotten and told us we needed to get out and transfer. We got out and eventually figured out that we were about a mile past our hotel. Good thing the Hakone free pass we bought lets up hop on and off buses. The next one was there shortly and we made it to the hotel.

Check-in was easy and they even walked us up to our rooms. It is an older hotel and it shows. It was pretty clean though. The rooms we had were non smoking and smelled fine though the hallways and most other places smelled like smoke.

We went over to the 3rd floor hotel balcony and tried to see Mount Fuji but it was covered in clouds again.

We went up to the 6th floor roof to get a view of the sunset and valley instead. All of the sudden Theresa was yelling "hey hey hey." The clouds had passed and we had another good view of Mt Fuji. We took a few photos in front of it and then headed in for the night.

After a quick shower and then some japanese baseball, it was time for bed. It was only 9pm but it feels like it's been a long day. Tomorrow we're going to Kyoto.

Your report just gets better and better. I cannot wait to see what else we get see and hear about from your trip. And do note that I have read your reports over a good number of times to make note for my trip in May. Many thanks since it is really helping me out.

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic513 View Post
    Your report just gets better and better. I cannot wait to see what else we get see and hear about from your trip. And do note that I have read your reports over a good number of times to make note for my trip in May. Many thanks since it is really helping me out.
    Glad you're liking it. Guess I should hurry up and get the rest of it written. It's been over 3 months since we were there. Glad I kept a journal of what we did every day.

Great trip report, although I don't see how you went to the fish market and didn't get sushi!!
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    Great trip report, although I don't see how you went to the fish market and didn't get sushi!!
    I had good intentions. I was all set to try sushi for the first time ever there at the fish market. No one in my group though really made it a high priority, and all the places we did see that had sushi had really long lines. It wasn't so high on our list that we wanted to skip something else later in the day.

How about an update!

Japan, Day 9 - 10/10/2011 Off to Kyoto

Well it turned out to be an early morning in Hakone. The phone rang around 6:50 when we weren’t planning on getting up for another 25 minutes. Theresa eventually found the phone after quite a few rings. Jacob was letting us know that the skies were pretty clear and Mt. Fuji was visible. Theresa was still half asleep and tried to hang the phone up on the wall, and then it started beeping at her. Sure enough, we went out to the balcony and Fuji was there with a really pretty view of the valley with some cloud cover.

We grabbed some shots and then headed back to eat breakfast. Tasty Cup Noodles and a sandwich. We then went back up to the roof to get more shots.

Jacob and Ruston made use of their robes.

We met Jake and Ruston at 8am and headed out to the bus. Here's the outside of the hotel just in case you happen to be driving by so you don't miss it like we did.

Instead of doing the Sky Gondola, we were going to be taking a long bus ride all the way back to Oduwara Station.

Theresa was glad to have the motion sickness patch on because that ride was windy and twisting. Some of those streets were pretty narrow too. Those bus drivers impress me sometimes.

Back at Oduwara station we got our luggage out of the locker. We sure were glad to not have to carry all that around the day before. We also grabbed some snacks for our trip to Kyoto.

Those trains go really fast. We took pictures and video while we were waiting.

I'm a bit surprised there are openings along railings without gates.

Along the way, I was looking out the window and Mt Fuji appeared again, though it was a bit hazy. From this side, you could see the whole slope of it.

Some of us were a little tired.

We got in to Kyoto after about 2 hours. The Citadines hotel was only a little over a kilometer from the Kyoto station and we decided to just walk it. Along the way we saw lots of tasty food for much cheaper prices than Tokyo. We made it to the Citadines and again were impressed by the niceness of the hotel. Very clean and modern. They're 2 for 2 in our book (the one in Tokyo was nice too) so we're going to be looking for Citadines now for all our international travel. Only Jacob and Ruston’s room was available, so we changed clothes and left all our bags in their room.

Rooms were fairly large.

Lunch was a great tempura place right next to the hotel. Jake and T had tempura, while Ruston had a veggie plate (with surprise bits of meat) and I had fried chicken.

We then went to the McDonalds just a couple stores away and had an ice cream cone to make up for the one we couldn’t get yesterday. T got a cone, while Jake and I got the smallest McFlurries you’ve ever seen and Ruston got a sundae. We also saw they had apple pies, and not just the okay baked apple pies we have back home. These were the tasty fried apple pies. Yum Yum!

We then walked to a big temple we passed while we walking to our hotel. I think this is all considered Higashi Honganji.

Ruston created another 360 view here.
    Name:  Kyoto360views.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  136.5 KB

We then walked into the temple where we had to take off our shoes. No pictures allowed in here. There were two separate temples, both floors covered with mats for people to kneel, while the front had Buddhist shrines. There was some sort of ceremony going on at the front so we tried to sit down like the locals. Kneeling and sitting on your feet. Yeah.. that did last very long. We quickly switched to standard Indian style soon after.

We walked over to the gardens, but they cost 500 yen per person and we would have only had 30 minutes. We decided to save it for another day possibly and just see what else we could see on foot.
    It seems like everywhere we walked here, we passed a shrine or temple. They are all over. I think the next few are from Hirano-jinja.

Along our way, we went through Gion, the Geisha district.

Next on our list was the Yasaka-jinja Shrine.

These looked like they were blowing in the wind, but when we looked closer, we saw small motors making them move.

There were some very pretty gardens and trees back here.

And some purple berries.

No Theresa!

These signs were on the a few walkways. Apparently we need to watch for strangely proportioned Alien adults and Alien children with antennas.

Along the way, there were Buddha statues.

Our last site of the day was the Toji Temple.

Theresa being crazy for the camera.

All day long, we had passed vending machines and this was one of our more interesting finds. Jacob and Ruston had seen a pancake drink in Tokyo that we’ve been looking for in the vending machines. I saw something that looked like milk and eggs and thought that might be it. It wasn’t but reading the can, it promised to be the best tasting milk shake ever. We hurriedly put our coins in so we could try this delicious heaven in a can. Well it turned out to be just a weak, watery vanilla milk shake. Bleh.

We had done quite a bit of walking today and were ready to head back to our hotel. In all our wandering, we were about 2 miles from our hotel. Along the way, we pulled our map out just to make sure we were going the right direction, and again we had another experience of someone willing to help us out. We had our map out for probably 30 seconds and a lady crossed the street to come over to us to see if we needed help finding something. Wow.
    We got to the hotel and chilled for an hour then headed to dinner. Jacob and Ruston decided on McDonalds, but me and T wanted something different. We walked back towards Kyoto station and stopped at a Paris Café where they had sandwiches. The French rolls they served them on were tasty. We then went to a 7/11 to get drinks and snacks then planned out the rest of the Kyoto time with Jacob and Ruston. Tomorrow should be a more relaxing day.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast