Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• Joe Flowers

Re: Joe's Tokyo Disney trip report - October 1st to 16th, 2011 - Lots of pictures

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    Too bad the trip report is coming to an end soon. I've enjoyed it very much. You guys have seemed to see more of Japan in this trip than I have in my past 6 or 7 trips. My trouble is that I can't seem to get there for more than a week & most of that time is spent at the parks.

Glad you had such a great time & hopefully you can visit again soon.
    It was definitely one of the questions we were asking ourselves before the trip. How much is enough time to spend at the parks? In the end, I like the way we planned it out. The first 4 days at the parks and then 7 days exploring Japan. We left the last 3 days open to do whatever we wanted and didn't make any reservations. We had thoughts of going to Hiroshima and a few other places, but in the end decided we'd enjoy 3 more days at Disneyland most.

We're definitely wanting to go back! Maybe after the dollar recovers more.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWizard View Post
    I might've missed it, but did you include any construction pics of Toy Story Midway Mania at TDS' American Waterfront?
    Greatest trip report I've seen on micechat, thanks for sharing.
    Unfortunately I didn't take any construction photos of Midway Mania. I'm definitely curious to see what Tokyo Disney can do with that. I've been on the Anaheim version and Orlando version and thought the Orlando queue looks amazing.

How about one more update before the final? I thought this might be interesting to list since one of our favorite things to do was try all the different foods. Having 4 people along, we were able to try just about everything we could want and split it 4 ways.

Edamame Kit Kat (we think)

Dark Chocolate Kit Kat (we think)

Pretz were a very tasty cracker snack. There were savory Pretz, sweet Pretz, and Butter Tastin Pretz.

One of the better burgers we had in Japan.

I discovered Calpis soda. It was a yogurty drink that I really enjoyed.

Breakfast one morning.

I don't quite understand "American Traditional" with an Oreo on top.

Theresa decided on a Korean style breakfast one morning

Chocolate bread (tasty), Cocoa drink (pretty weak tasting chocolate drink), Pepsi Caribbean Gold (delicious! I wish I could find more of this), Teriyaki rice balls (meh, okay for the first bite, tired of them after eating more than 4)

A tasty Mickey fried chicken sandwich. Only surprise here was that it was dark meat. Still good though.

Curry Chicken tasted good, Mike Wazowski bean dessert was much smaller than the picture made it seem and was just okay, fries were fine but the ketchup was very bitter.

Boba drink that was not bad

Pumpkin soft serve ice cream and Vanilla soft serve

Mmm. Delicious Honey popcorn

A regular cinnamon Mickey shaped churro. Churros are always best fresh and not as great after they've sat out. This one had sat out.

A tasty cherry water

Caramel popcorn maybe? Also yummy.

A non-sweet tea drink plus a cheap sleeve of cookies. There were all sorts of varieties and we tried a bunch of them.

Milk Tea popcorn was interesting. We only got it once.

Hard to go wrong with pasta

Some interesting ice cream flavors. Chocolate, strawberry, crushed caramel, grape, tiramisu, blood orange

Twizzlers

Curry popcorn wasn't bad at all. Probably Theresa's favorite.

A balanced breakfast. Cup of noodles, some cookie sleeves, some yucky chicken nuggets, another Calpis soda which was also tasty, and a delicious lemon and honey drink. It tasted a lot like lemonade and was great!

A sweet bean rice bone, a yummy Mike Wazowski melon bread, some "corn" bread, and a Mickey brownie. And more yummy cherry water.

Lots of yummy pizza types. Double sausage, pepperoni, and Hawaiian.

I didn't try Ruston's seafood pizza though.

A Mickey steamed bun with pork filling

A pork and rice roll.

Bacon and rice together can't be that bad.

Yummy crepes. Apple/Sweet potato, Strawberry, and Chocolate/Banana. All were tasty, but we were actually expecting them to be warm. They were cold though.

Steak

Chicken and a Dry Cola.

Mongolian bbq with curry powder

Sausage rolls

A pumpkin churro

Tiramisu ice cream sandwich

A purple sweet potato dessert

Sweet/Sour Pork, Fried Chicken Teriyaki and Fried Rice

More gelato

Some not so tasty hamburgers in Tomorrowland

A tasty Mickey waffle

A hot sweet potato from a Tokyo street vendor

A grapey tasting soda. It was yummy.

Shakey's pizza had lots of different pizzas, noodles, and even rice and beef curry. There were some interesting pizza flavors, including corn, fried teriyaki chicken w/ seaweed, cuttlefish, tuna, chocolate banana, apple cinnamon, and sweet potato/marshmallow/bean paste, and pepperoni and some potato slices.

Asian pears

A persimon, butter Pretz, Pocky cookie sticks, rice crackers, a couple Mentos flavors, and a yummy Uncrustables type sandwich. It had strawberry jam and butter inside it. Mmm. And more cookie sleeves.

Dried purple sweet potato chips that Theresa enjoyed a lot.

Grape Mentos, Honey Mustard Pringles, and Max Coffee drink. I enjoyed the drink.

A Pepsi Dry. A non-sweet cola that was pretty good.

Choco-cro was a French pastry place that had chocolate croissants, sausage croissants, and a ham/potato croissants. Everything we tried was delicious here.

Only tried a sample of apple here.

And later she found more apples

A pumpkin pastry

Berry pastry

Chocolate pastry

And chocolate chip bread

Strawberry Mochi

Fried chicken basket and nan bread

More traditional curry.

Some kimchi and rice, weak orange drink, weak apple drink, and weak chocolate drink. Just struck out on this try. Gyoza in the microwave was just alright. And I got more of those yummy Uncrustables type sandwiches. Here are the maple syrup, blueberry, and chocolate sandwiches.

Beef and chicken skewers from a street vendor.

Treats from Mister Donut

Peach nectar

Delicious chicken curry.

Mochi and a pineapple/banana drink. Plus lots more cookie sleeves.

Fried chicken

Tempura

McDonald's ice cream cone and McFlurry

Grape Crush soda

Lots more beverages to try. Cola Shock was slightly alcoholic, the Calpis in the middle was non-carbonated but good, Pocari Sweat was not as good as I was expecting.

The best tasting milk shake possible according to the can. It wasn’t. It was a weak watery vanilla milk shake

Selections at Mister Donut

Delifrance hot dog

Delifrance chicken and avacado

Tasty fried chicken, fried rice, and gyoza

Strawberry chews and cola mentos

Pumpkin Cheesecake KitKat and Mont Blanc KitKat

Grape Mountain Dew

Rainbow Mentos and Honeyed Apple Mentos

McDonalds Sausage McMuffin, McDog, Mega Muffin

Choco Pie from McDonalds

Peach Fanta

Hot dog from Disneyland

Tasty Curry popcorn

Yummy Caramel popcorn

Pork Steamed bun

Delicious Gyoza

This Strawberry Latte was not good. I took a sip and poured it out.

Not so good Apple Pastry and Rattatouille Focacia. Apply pastry had hardly any filling and the crust was dry and tasteless.

Sweet Cream Cheese pretzel from Toontown. It was yummy.

Tortilla dog with cheese. Surprisingly good!

Corn snacks (like Bugles). Theresa liked them.

More tasty popcorn. We loved all the choices available at Disneyland and Disney Sea.

A tasty chicken curry from Disneyland

And tasty meat pasta as well.

Sausage croissant and cream cheese bun from the Tokyo Disney Sea bakery. Both were yummy.

The delicious gyoza at Disney Sea. Probably one of our favorite snacks here.

Footlong hot dog (it was a hot dog, nothing special) and a black pepper and cheese dog (Theresa didn't care for it)

Yucky hamburgers at Ikspiari

Two more kinds of Calpis drink and a chocolate chip bread. The premium Calpis (non carbonated) was great. Zero calorie Calpis was too weak to enjoy. The chocolate chip bread was excellent.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: Joe's Tokyo Disney trip report - October 1st to 16th, 2011 - Lots of pictures

WOW that's a lot of food!!! Reading all your reports always made me hungry and also a little jealous that our Disney Parks don't offer more popcorn flavors. I'm literally blown away by all the different kinds of flavors and foods they have in Japan!! I believe you were right about that Kit Kat, it is edamame, I looked it up. If you Google Kit Kat Flavors, there are hundreds! It's crazy.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Loves Mickey!

This is such a fun trip report and the food pics are great! The Kit Kat flavor is zunda which is mashed green soy beans and is a specialty of the northern Tohoku region. 10 yen from each sale of that particular Kit Kat went to the relief effort.
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Oh the food! THE FOOD LOOKS SO GOOD!

Very jealous, hope you had an amazing trip!
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

Thanks a lot for this amazing trip report. I had a great time reading through it and your pictures are wonderful.

It's wonderful that you included the non-Disney part of your vacation in the trip report.

This is probably the best trip I have ever read about TDL ever, it almost makes me cry that it has to come to an end :'( But thanks so much for posting these pictures and your trip, I have never been more eager and inspired to visit TDR until I read your report! Amazing as usual!!!!

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I adore the non disney part as well.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    WOW that's a lot of food!!! Reading all your reports always made me hungry and also a little jealous that our Disney Parks don't offer more popcorn flavors. I'm literally blown away by all the different kinds of flavors and foods they have in Japan!! I believe you were right about that Kit Kat, it is edamame, I looked it up. If you Google Kit Kat Flavors, there are hundreds! It's crazy.
    We really enjoyed all the popcorn flavors too! Our surprising favorite was Curry. The flavor that we were expecting to be tasty but turned out gross was Soy Sauce and Butter. I could really go for some honey popcorn right now though. I think it would fit in perfect near our Winnie the Pooh ride too.

Quote Originally Posted by micky90 View Post
    This is probably the best trip I have ever read about TDL ever, it almost makes me cry that it has to come to an end :'( But thanks so much for posting these pictures and your trip, I have never been more eager and inspired to visit TDR until I read your report! Amazing as usual!!!!
    Thank you everyone for all the wonderful comments. It's been great going through all my photos again and reliving the whole vacation all over again.

And here it is, the final update.

Japan, Day 15 - 10/16/2011 - Flying home

Well this is the only day I didn't write down in my journal so I'll just have to wing it from memory.

We got up late and grabbed breakfast from the store downstairs. I think I've had more Cup of Noodles while we were here than I have ever had before. Calpis drinks were a tasty treat that I discovered while we were here. I think my favorite out of all of them was the carbonated grape flavored Calpis.

We had previously booked tickets for the airport limousine and were picked up right out front of the hotel. ~45 minutes later, we were at the airport.

Lunch was McDonalds at the airport. No photos of the food, but I was able to try a McPork. Surprisingly it was not good. Imagine a hamburger bun, breakfast sausage patty, teriyaki sauce, and lettuce. And of course Theresa got an ice cream cone.

We hung out just outside security while we waited for Ruston and Jacob.

Theresa finds a new tasty Mentos flavor.

Also while we were at the airport, we found a large variety of KitKat flavors. From left to right, Green Tea/Cherry Blossom, Strawberry, and Green Tea. They also had large10 packs. We ended up buying $100 worth of KitKats to bring back home as gifts.

Only 10 hours to fly back into Los Angeles. It's really nice to just do carry-on and not have to wait for luggage to come off when you're flying international.

Our plane left Japan at 3:30pm Sunday and we landed at 9:30am Sunday (isn't the International Date Line fun).

After having already been awake for 16 hours, there were a few thoughts for handling the time change. We got home right around 10:30am and immediate took a nap. I slept for 2 hours then woke up just after noon. Instead of going to bed like normal on Sunday, I stayed up all night and didn't go to sleep until 7:30pm Monday night. Yes it was ~48 hours with only 2 hours of sleep, but after that one long day, I was good for the rest of the week. Theresa instead took a short nap on Sunday and then went to bed like usual on Sunday. Her whole week had restless nights and a sporadic sleeping schedule. The time change really hit her hard.

Definitely leave yourself a day or two to adjust when you come back!

Here's a few of our favorite purchases from Tokyo Disneyland. A lanyard with a Mickey hand.

Keychain/luggage tag? Either way, it reminded us of the handles on the monorail and Disney buses.

Here's something we really liked. Small tarps to lay down and sit on. Instead of sitting directly on the ground, or bringing blankets, everyone we saw there had a tarp of some sort.

So we had to get one of each type we saw.

And here's the one thing we really thought was unique. A Mickey rice scoop (shown next to a regular rice scoop). It really made us smile when we came across this.

And as a special bonus, I took a few photos of the attraction posters outside of Disney Sea. Here's all the ones I saw.

And lastly, here's the maps we got while we were there. I liked these because they show you all the details of the restaurants, popcorn stands, and anything else you might want to know.

PDF of the entire Tokyo Disneyland Map in higher resolution

PDF of the entire Tokyo Disney Sea Map in higher resolution

And with that, I end our Japan trip. Hope you've enjoyed reading along. 15 Days, over 1000 photos, and multiple videos. I think I pretty much captured it all!

Update: And a final surprise. I don't know how, but apparently Ruston saw some call out for photos representing Magical Moments and Disney. He submitted our photo in front of the castle together at Tokyo Disneyland and it was accepted! If you happen to be in New York in front of the Disney Store in Times Square through April 14th 2012, apparently our photo is in the rotation.

I have been reading this thread on and off over the past week - I am so sad that it's at an end! Thank you so much for all the time you must have put into this - I think I have something new to add to my bucket list!

Question - your pictures look fantastic. What type of camera were you using?

Also, for practical purposes, what sorts of resources did you use for planning your trip - hotels, transportation in Japan, etc.... I would love to take a trip like this some day but the time change/ language barrier seem a bit daunting...

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by PrncesKMW View Post
    I have been reading this thread on and off over the past week - I am so sad that it's at an end! Thank you so much for all the time you must have put into this - I think I have something new to add to my bucket list!

Question - your pictures look fantastic. What type of camera were you using?

Also, for practical purposes, what sorts of resources did you use for planning your trip - hotels, transportation in Japan, etc.... I would love to take a trip like this some day but the time change/ language barrier seem a bit daunting...
    Glad you've enjoyed it. If you can afford it and spare the time, it is definitely an experience you'll always remember.

The camera I use is the Canon 7D. I almost always keep the Canon 10-22mm lens on it, unless I'm shooting in low light. Then I'll use the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Once I'm done shooting, I'll usually do a little bit of clean-up in Adobe Lightroom.

For planning, we utilized the library to get all the travel books. Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc.

Luckily for us, we live in Los Angeles and were close to the Japan National Tourism Organization.
    Japan On Sale! - Official Tourism Guide for Japan Travel
    We were able to visit their offices in person and work through a lot of the details one on one. They helped us get the details on the Japan Rail Pass, which we used for all of our travel around Japan. Who is eligible for a JAPAN RAIL PASS

For hotels, we made extensive use of TripAdvisor.
    Japan Vacations - 9,385 hotels and 45,508 restaurants in Japan - TripAdvisor
    We figured out what we wanted to see in a city, looked at where the metro rail lines ran in that city, and then looked at reviews on hotels that were generally within walking distance. For us, the Citadines hotels were great. Decent prices, good rooms, and close to the major attractions.

For all things Disney, these forums were invaluable.

We had 4 adults going on the trip, so we each took a portion of it to plan.

This was the most amazing trip report I have enjoyed in recent memory! Thank you SO much for sharing your time with us!
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Overall, one of the BEST Disney Tokyo Trip Report EVER!!!!!!!

Thanks for taken your time to do this awesome TR.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Minion FOREVER!

Wow! This was one of those epic TRs. Definitely appreciate it and all the work did to put it out.

Minor comment... That "Best Milk Shake Ever"? I just vaguely remembered having it.... I think you need to mix it really well to get it to froth up. W/o doing that it *is* pretty weak. Unfortunately, I think the instructions are only in japanese. But I don't remember it being that good (even frothed up).

Again, thank you!

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Wow! This was one of those epic TRs. Definitely appreciate it and all the work did to put it out.
    Glad everyone enjoyed it so much!

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Minor comment... That "Best Milk Shake Ever"? I just vaguely remembered having it.... I think you need to mix it really well to get it to froth up. W/o doing that it *is* pretty weak. Unfortunately, I think the instructions are only in japanese. But I don't remember it being that good (even frothed up).
    Again, thank you!
    That probably would have helped some. I do remember little floating bits in it that I tried to just ignore as I drank it... It probably would have been a little better shaken up more, but you're right, not much.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456