Attraction Refurbishment Schedule and Trip Planning

We were considering a trip to Tokyo Disney sometime in late May. I noticed the refurbishment schedule for that time includes a couple major attractions including Space Mountain and Journey to the Center of the Earth (which is definitely a priority experience for us, being unique to DisneySea).

Do the posted schedules tend to stay fairly concrete or can they change unexpectedly from time to time? Would it be too risky for us to plan a trip around that time on the chance the refurbishment of certain attractions will be extended past their posted dates?

• MaliBOOMer

Re: Attraction Refurbishment Schedule and Trip Planning

Refurbishments rarely extend more than a day or 1/2 day past there posted dates. However if it is posted it will be closed on day X, then it will be closed on day X. If you are worried about an attraction being closed, just plan your trip 4-5 days past the re-open date and you should be fine.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Sawasdee! สวัสดี! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Refurbishments rarely extend more than a day or 1/2 day past there posted dates. However if it is posted it will be closed on day X, then it will be closed on day X. If you are worried about an attraction being closed, just plan your trip 4-5 days past the re-open date and you should be fine.
    But in my case, Pooh's Hunny Hunt is supposed to open on December 22 ( the day I'm in TDL ) in the schedule, but it turns out to open on the 23rd.
    Last edited by switttdrfan; 12-31-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    Sorry for grammar mistakes! I'm not really good in English!

I didn't quite think about how the refurb dates would include the last day listed, so thank you for pointing that out.

We have been considering the trip for the time at the end of May where in between Journey to the Center of the Earth reopening and Space Mountain closing, but that places our park days right on a weekend so I'm not sure that's the best idea. I'd imagine of the two attractions we should plan to ensure we see Journey more than Space Mountain.

While we'd love to hit everything in one trip I suppose there needs to be a certain trade-off between attraction availability and when the parks will be quieter. On that note, do you guys think a visit around the end of May and/or beginning of June would be a good idea crowd-wise?

• Resident of the Caldera

Don't go unless Journey to the Center of the Earth is open--it's the top ride at the resort for a Westerner. That and Pooh's Hunny Hunt are the absolute must-see attractions. The attraction closure schedule is generally very accurate--that's the way it is in Japan.

Don't worry about missing Space Mountain because it's not nearly as nice as Disneyland's (no on board audio) and the track wasn't rebuilt from scratch. But it is a lot better than the one at WDW.

Even busy days can be managed provided you get there early and make sure you know what you're doing, but of course it's best to avoid the weekends.

End of May, kids are still in school, but you're nearing the rainy season. In June it can rain every day. And it starts to get warm and humid.

I will angle our plans to ensure that Journey is open then. That will likely put our trip at the end of May to avoid getting too far into June. How rainy is the rainy season? Is it like Orlando in the summer with a couple big storms a day or is it more of a steady rain?

• Sawasdee! สวัสดี! :)

During the rainy season, while does not rain every day, the weather tends to be overcast and dreary. The rainy season starts from late May. But at least visiting Tokyo during May is better than June I guess.

+ Happy New Year from Thailand!
    Last edited by switttdrfan; 12-31-2011 at 10:14 PM.
    Sorry for grammar mistakes! I'm not really good in English!

Let's hope that the Refurbishment Schedule does not change.

I planned my trip to Tokyo and TDR for my birthday in May based on Journey being closed in February which was posted last year, only to find out after I had made my plans, bought airline tickets and secured time off, that Journey was to be closed again, this time while I was going to be at TDR.

After the initial disappointment of the news I decided I was not going to let missing a 3-minute attraction spoil my entire trip. I am keeping a positive attitude knowing I will be in Tokyo and enjoying TDR for my birthday as I have planned too. It just means more time to ride Pooh's Honey Hunt while I am there when the crowds are lighter. Plus I know after this visit I will vow to go back again!

Happy New Year all.

• Resident of the Caldera

Journey was closed my first trip after DisneySEA opened and I survived. The great thing is that you know you're going to go back again.