Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Peaches and Dreams

Red Face Disney Ambassador Hotel

I haven't been able to get any information after searching on Google extensively so i thought i'd ask some of our experts here on Micechat.

I'll be going to the Disney Ambassador soon staying in a standard floor standard room. I can't find any info on the official site that adresses a few of my concerns.

1. Are there any microwaves in the hotel?
    2. Is there any Laundry Service or Coin op Machines.
    3. Is there a way to Call the U.S. from the Hotel such as pay phones or phones in the hotel room. (not looking to rent a phone)
    4. They say they do currency exchange but does that mean i have to present American cash to them or can they pull it out with my debit card?
    5. Can pizza be delivered there?
    6. Is there a mcdonald's close to the hotel

Numbers 5 and 6 are for my boyfriends sake, which is why i asked about the microwaves.

If anyone has any answers to these questions I'd be very grateful for your input.

Re: Disney Ambassador Hotel

Here are some of my experiences there, not necessarily specific to the Ambassador Hotel. Perhaps some more seasoned vets will reply.

You might want to purchase a calling card to use over there. Also double check to see if you can get an international phone and data plan for your cellular--but beware, it does add up quickly.

i have never had good luck with my debit card over there. My credit cards worked throughout the resort, but make sure you tell your cc company that you'll be traveling there. I reco you bring extra cash or traveler checks to exchange for cash. Always have cash on hand. I had many issues with my credit cards in Tokyo itself. So Cash is key.

I'm curious about the pizza delivery. I've never seen food delivered there, but that doesn't mean it doesn't a happen. Pizza delivery might be more of a US thing, but let's see what others say. There are some pizza places in the Parks, tho that I have eaten at.

I don't recall there being a McDonalds near the resort. I am curious to see if anyone else knows for sure. I'm not a fish eater and not very adventurous when it comes to food, so that'd be a good find. Ikspiari has lots of food eateries that have some basic menu items. There's a sandwich shop right there at the train station I recall. Plus there are some great basics in the Parks that I found to keep me satisfied.

Hope this helps.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Bexington View Post
    I haven't been able to get any information after searching on Google extensively so i thought i'd ask some of our experts here on Micechat.

3. Is there a way to Call the U.S. from the Hotel such as pay phones or phones in the hotel room. (not looking to rent a phone)
    Yes. It'll cost you but you can make int'l calls from your hotel room. Calling card is probably the better way to go.

4. They say they do currency exchange but does that mean i have to present American cash to them or can they pull it out with my debit card?
    You need to present cash or Traveler's checks. What I do is to get Traveler's checks in Yen. They're accepted at many places.

There is pizza delivery in Japan. Not sure if they deliver (or is allowed) at the Resort Hotels.

Depends on your definition of close. I think the closest one is this one...It's like 1.5 km away マクドナルド 浦安東野ヤオコー店
    Last edited by nish221; 02-13-2012 at 12:22 PM.

• Peaches and Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Yes. It'll cost you but you can make int'l calls from your hotel room. Calling card is probably the better way to go.
    Do i buy a japanese calling card or buy one here in the states?

You need to present cash or Traveler's checks. What I do is to get Traveler's checks in Yen. They're accepted at many places.
    I wonder if i should try pulling the money out of an ATM machine at the nearby 7-11. Im not sure wich one would have a higher conversion rate.

There is pizza delivery in Japan. Not sure if they deliver (or is allowed) at the Resort Hotels.
    It makes sense that OLC might not let outside restaurants deliver there. I'll try to find out how to ask if they deliver there in japanese and give them a call via skype.

Depends on your definition of close. I think the closest one is this one...It's like 1.5 km away マクドナルド 浦安東野ヤオコー店
    That should be close enough, We could stock up on MCdonalds food and reheat it in the hotel. That is if there is a Microwave in the Ambassador. Anyone know about that?

Thanks for your help guys

• Timelord

I'll be going to the Disney Ambassador soon staying in a standard floor standard room. I can't find any info on the official site that adresses a few of my concerns.

Numbers 5 and 6 are for my boyfriends sake, which is why i asked about the microwaves.

If anyone has any answers to these questions I'd be very grateful for your input.
    1. Amenities listed in each room on the hotel's Japanese website say TV and Minibar
    2. No info on this even on the Japanese page
    3. You can call long distance using the hotel room phone. Just google the instructions. (I'd think bringing a Laptop or Netbook and using Skype would be cheaper)
    4. Easiest way to get cash while in Japan is at a 7-11 as many machines will not accept cards from outside of Japan. Just bring a ton of money with you though, Japan is safe. As long as you don't flash it around you'll be fine.
    5. Pizza Hut Japan has a great tutorial on their Japanese website IN ENGLISH giving you all the info you need to order a Pizza while in Japan. You order right off of their website and pay by credit card, and need only accept it when it arrives.
    6. This has already been answered =)

No. At least not in the guest rooms.

Not sure about Coin Op, but there definitely is laundry service where they pick it up and drop it off at your room.

Just direct dial from the room. Unlike the US and many other locations, direct dial from hotel rooms in Japan, even internationally, is not a ripoff. The rate is usually a reasonable per-minute rate with no per-call surcharge. I've placed 20-30 minute calls from TDR hotels back to the US and been surprised at how little they cost. You might want to check with the front desk for a price quote before making a long call. An alternative would be to purchase a prepaid calling card in the US before leaving. I recommend the AT&T Prepaid Card that's available at Wal-Mart. Then, you call a toll-free number from your room or any payphone in Japan (look up the number on the AT&T website) then follow the instructions on the back of the card. Cost is $0.25-0.35/minute.

"Currency exchange" at the hotel means they will take foreign currency (such as US Dollars) and give you yen, or take it as payment toward your bill. But be aware that they'll charge you a 4-6% exchange fee that's not listed separately but is embedded in the exchange rate they give you. Not a good way to do it unless you're out of options. There are no ATMs that take foreign cards the Ambassador, but there are two ATMs in the adjacent Ikspiari that will: one is the Japan Post ATM machine that's with a cluster of two other machines from different banks, and there's also a newly-installed 7-Eleven ATM (but not an actual 7-Eleven store) on the ground floor in the food court area near the bathrooms.

Since the highest foreign exchange rate I've seen on a US-issued bank ATM card is 3%, you're almost certainly better off using the ATM instead of the hotel front desk. Also, here's a trick: on your day of departure, use any extra yen (except for maybe $20 or so for incidentals at the airport) you have to pay down your hotel bill before they charge the balance to your credit card. You've already paid the forex fee to change into yen, and if you have to change it back to dollars, you'll pay again.

There is pizza delivery in Japan, but I'm pretty sure that outside deliveries of any kind are not permitted at Disney hotels.

The McD's that was mentioned earlier is one train stop away. Round trip, it will be about 30 minutes of walking plus waiting for the train, and a $4 fare. There are lots of fast food options in Ikspiari which is connected to the Ambassador, including American-style hamburgers (I recommend Kau Aina for authentic Hawaiian-style burgers), plus a food court on the ground floor. There's also a small supermarket to buy things to take back to the room. IMHO, it would be foolish to try to go to McD's when there's so much good stuff right next door to the hotel.

• Minion FOREVER!

Do i buy a japanese calling card or buy one here in the states?

I wonder if i should try pulling the money out of an ATM machine at the nearby 7-11. Im not sure wich one would have a higher conversion rate.

It makes sense that OLC might not let outside restaurants deliver there. I'll try to find out how to ask if they deliver there in japanese and give them a call via skype.

That should be close enough, We could stock up on MCdonalds food and reheat it in the hotel. That is if there is a Microwave in the Ambassador. Anyone know about that?

Thanks for your help guys
    Let's see. Point about relatively reasonableness of phone charges from hotel is true. But still it's more expensive than calling cards. Yup, just buy some reputable one here w/ an access # for Japan.

I've pulled money from 7-11 ATMs, I don't remember the ex rate, but I thought it was ok. Better than the exchange places at the airport. Also you can try post offices which supposedly takes the Plus system cards (I've never done that).

As for food, I would seriously suggest not going to that McD. There are a lot of decent American food options in the hotels and at Ikspiari. Also lots of very good Japanese food in the area which blows away 99% of Japanese restaurants in the US.

Let's see. Point about relatively reasonableness of phone charges from hotel is true. But still it's more expensive than calling cards.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that. I was surprised at how cheap it was, possibly less than the $0.25-0.35/minute that the AT&T card charges.

I've pulled money from 7-11 ATMs, I don't remember the ex rate, but I thought it was ok.
    Japanese ATMs don't have exchange fees or transaction fees. The fee that you pay is entirely dependent on what your home bank charges for int'l ATM withdrawals. Unless you have some sort of specialized account or are with something like a really good credit union, the standard charge seems to be 3% for foreign withdrawals.

Better than the exchange places at the airport.
    Not really, if you're talking about Japanese airports. The Citibank ATMs at the airport will be the same cost to you as the ones at the resort. The exchange booths at Narita are very consistent: they charge 0.5% to exchange traveler's cheques, or 2.5% to exchange currency. Both of these compare favorably to the 3% fee that most US banks will charge for foreign ATM withdrawals, although at 2.5% vs 3%, I would go for the convenience of the machine.

Important note: even if you plan to use ATMs to withdraw yen, and charge everything else to your credit card, you'd be wise to have at least $500 with you that you plan not to spend and have just in case of emergencies. Sometimes cards don't work overseas, your card could be blocked for potential fraud, and also the overnight bank computer maintenance windows in the US when transactions are not approved for a period of time occur in the middle of the day in Japan. With cash on hand, you can always get yen at the hotel front desk in a worst-case scenario.

The one thing you should NOT do is change into yen in the US. Banks will typically charge 6-8% for this, whether it be for cash or yen-denominated traveler's cheques. The exchange booths at US airports can be as high as 14% (!), even though they say "NO COMMISSION."

Also note that the only two ATMs at the resort that take foreign cards are the two already mentioned in Ikspiari: Japan Post and 7-Eleven. The ones in the parks themselves or at the hotels will NOT take foreign cards. Not so much an issue since everything in the parks except outdoor vending takes credit cards, but it can be inconvenient if you run out of cash and have to trek back to Ikspiari to get more.

Also you can try post offices which supposedly takes the Plus system cards (I've never done that).
    I already mentioned that. Although there's not a post office at the resort, there is a Japan Post ATM that works as you describe.

• Minion FOREVER!

Not really, if you're talking about Japanese airports. The Citibank ATMs at the airport will be the same cost to you as the ones at the resort. The exchange booths at Narita are very consistent: they charge 0.5% to exchange traveler's cheques, or 2.5% to exchange currency.
    Sorry, I was talking about SFO in particular... I vaguely remember something pretty high. Sounds like exchanging traveler's checks at Narita is the way to go.

• Peaches and Dreams

Let's see. Point about relatively reasonableness of phone charges from hotel is true. But still it's more expensive than calling cards. Yup, just buy some reputable one here w/ an access # for Japan.
    I'm only using it to let family know i arrived in japan safely so using the hotel room phone may not be so bad.

As for food, I would seriously suggest not going to that McD. There are a lot of decent American food options in the hotels and at Ikspiari. Also lots of very good Japanese food in the area which blows away 99% of Japanese restaurants in the US.
    Well the Mcdonalds is for my boyfriend who won't give japanese food a chance. He's a pretty fussy eater so it comes down to mostly either pizza, mcdonalds, or kentucky fried chicken. I on the other hand plan to eat out of seijo ishii daily. Buy bento sets and store them in the room's fridge. I have a feeling my boyfriend is going to HATE his choices for food while he's in japan. We'll be in the city for 3 days and the parks for 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDry View Post
    No. At least not in the guest rooms.
    I figured as much, but was hoping the hotel had microwaves guests could use near the lobby like in Anaheim, I'll see about calling the hotel directly.

Not sure about Coin Op, but there definitely is laundry service where they pick it up and drop it off at your room.
    Hm that's pretty cool i'll have to see how much that costs.

There are no ATMs that take foreign cards the Ambassador, but there are two ATMs in the adjacent Ikspiari that will: one is the Japan Post ATM machine that's with a cluster of two other machines from different banks, and there's also a newly-installed 7-Eleven ATM (but not an actual 7-Eleven store) on the ground floor in the food court area near the bathrooms.
    Thanks! this is really good to know. I thought i was gonna have to walk all the way to the Actual 7-11 down the road from the resort.

There is pizza delivery in Japan, but I'm pretty sure that outside deliveries of any kind are not permitted at Disney hotels.
    bummer! kind of expected that though.

• Timelord

bummer! kind of expected that though.
    Going by what the Japanese site says, they do allow outside deliveries. You can always email the hotel and double check though.

• Peaches and Dreams

Well even if they do I found Ikspiari's list of restaurants (i dont remember it being there a few months ago)

ƒVƒ‡ƒbƒv&ƒŒƒXƒgƒ‰ƒ“bIKSPIARI

Judging by the prices at some of these restaurants. Your suggestions of eating in Ikspiari make a lot of sense. Is the food court new or something? cause i don't remember hearing about it before.

BTW it feels like detective work trying to find out everything i can about Ikspiari. I really appreciate everyone's help.

Is the food court new or something? cause i don't remember hearing about it before.
    A food court of some sort has always been on the ground floor of Ikspiari. A couple of years ago they closed it off, gutted it, and completely remodeled it. There's plenty of stuff there for the picky American eater. Also, there's a Starbucks that serves the standard muffins, pastries, and bagels for breakfast. Elsewhere, there's the Kau Aina hawaiian hambugers I already mentioned, Rainforest Cafe, and probably 30+ table service restaurants of all kinds. Again, even with a picky eater in tow, you won't need to leave the resort to get acceptable food, and I think it would be a mistake to trek to Shin-Urayasu just to go to McD's.

Also, in case you didn't already know, most of the food in the parks is western-style theme park food, although I'd say for the most part with better quality and variety than in the US parks. In fact, there's only one restaurant in each park that actually serves Japanese food. This is very different than Hong Kong Disneyland, where half of all the food offerings are Chinese.

• You have much to learn...

This may not be much help- but I'm an extremely picky eater as well & I don't eat seafood at all- but I haven't had any problems at all with the food in either the parks or Ikspiari- Eating around Tokyo can be a bit challenging though since many menu's are in Japanese & even though they have pictures or displays of the food- it's sometimes hard to figure them out.

But I've been to Japan many times and haven't had any problems with finding something to eat somewhere. I just had a problem when we went on a tour of Mt Fuji and we passed by a vending truck selling all sorts of fried tentacles & squid on a stick.

I've actually wanted to try eating at McDonalds each time I've been to Japan, but on my last trip I really couldn't figure out the menu since there was nothing in english & from the pictures of the burgers, I really couldn't tell what was on them so I passed.

Pizza is an completely different experience- Don't expect the pizza that you are used to here- I've tried it a few times & it's just ok- nothing to really brag about.

I've had fried chicken strips & nuggets which have been pretty good in the parks & Ikspiari.

The parks also have a lot of pasta dishes as well for another option. Much of the foods in the theme parks shouldn't be a problem at all- they are more americanized. Just tell you boyfriend not to worry- there will be something he will like- it's no use driving yourself crazy to order pizza or carry bags of McDonalds to reheat.

• Minion FOREVER!

Also KFC is in Japan as well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast