• Resident of the Caldera

Airfares Gone Wild?

Trying to book my usual October trip from the east coast to Narita and the airfares have increased about 25% over last year. Roundtrip non-stops from Washington Dulles on United are over $1900! Jiminey Christmas! Lowest I could find was American Airlines, which was still almost $1500.

Anyone know what's going on?
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Re: Airfares Gone Wild?

Do you always book around this time of year?

I find the best rates pop up almost exactly 4 months before my departure date.

We're in Orlando- when we looked at October rates last year, they were $1,300+ before dropping to around $800.

We ended up booking for March this year instead, and scored around $900 a ticket.

I'd say just wait...if it gets below 4 months, then I'd worry. It sounds like you just hit it at the wrong time. It is weird that the prices are that bad if they weren't bad this time of year...maybe gas or airplane politics?

It looks like Singapore Air is still running their Sweet Deals in the mid $800s from LAX to Narita. If you can get R/T from the east coast to LAX you may want to look into that. That is what we are doing for our trip in May since we really want to experience Singapore Air.

Thanks.

United Airlines migrated over to Continental's website today, which makes finding less expensive flights much easier. So, today I found a flight for under $1,100. Here's the catch: THREE stops, changing planes twice, long layovers, and an almost certain guarantee of lost luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    United Airlines migrated over to Continental's website today, which makes finding less expensive flights much easier. So, today I found a flight for under $1,100. Here's the catch: THREE stops, changing planes twice, long layovers, and an almost certain guarantee of lost luggage.
    Ugh!

I wonder if the gas price rise will make it tougher for you if you wait. Normally, I'd be all, "Wait it out!"...but Time.com had an article today warning people about the airline prices going up for Summer.

Are you using kayak.com at all?

• You have much to learn...

I was thinking about trying to go in mid-April before golden week & airfare was decent last week- around $1000 nonstop from Newark to Narita & rooms at the Hilton were going for 15300 pre-paid.

Now that I didn't actually book anything- airfare is up to almost $1200 & the Hilton went up to 17000 pre-paid.

So much for waiting- now my plans are up in the air again. I feel your pain with airfare.

Kayak won't help me: I have to fly United because it helps with my elite status.
    Thing is, it's not consistent. I paid $1200 to fly to the UK this coming July late last year, but the ticket I bought a few minutes ago (another trip to the UK, same airport) cost only $800 and change. So, $400 less.

An October trip to Tokyo isn't considered "high" season and should not cost that much. I've read that American has a $1500 flight, but it's not direct. The last thing I want to do is stretch a trip that would be 14 hours on a direct flight out to 20 hours or more by having to change planes with a layover.

The airfares are INSANE. They are more than double of 3 years ago for summer travel.

Are you in the DC area? Me too.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I need to find out when the Japanese tourism board is going to open that website ABC reported about that will be giving away free airline tickets to Japan (they want people to know Japan is safe for tourists, so the catch is you have to blog about your trip and stuff, but here at MC we're old pros at that!).

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I need to find out when the Japanese tourism board is going to open that website ABC reported about that will be giving away free airline tickets to Japan (they want people to know Japan is safe for tourists, so the catch is you have to blog about your trip and stuff, but here at MC we're old pros at that!).
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that was never anything more than a proposal it seems; one that was not passed. Considering Japan's massive debt from reconstruction, and the fact that tourism over there is recovering pretty well on its own now, I guess it's not surprising.

From the official Japan tourism website:
    ?Fly to Japan! Project?(10,000 FREE FLIGHTS TO FOREIGNERS) | 2011 | Topics | Press Releases | Japan Tourism Agency
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah I found out when I went to the tourism board's website. Poop. Well one of these days I'll get my butt to Japan. Just don't like that airfare is more than one of my paychecks.

• Circle of Ancients

Have you considered going t the end of March in 2013? I got my son's ticket for $975 from Sacramento to Tokyo . ( I used miles I had earned with Citicard for my ticket) The weather might still be cold and you might just miss the cherry blossoms. But if we hadn't gone when we did , we wouldn't have been able to experience the snow in , Hakuba , Nagano.

For those of you freeloaders out there, American Airlines has announced an award ticket fare sale: only 40,000 miles for a round-trip economy award ticket from North America to Asia on either American or Japan Airlines, for travel from April 6 - May 31, 2012. This ticket would normally be 50,000 or 65,000 miles, depending on whether you went in April or May.

Thanks, Princess, but I always go in October for the Halloween seasonal event.

And, bummer, I always fly United (though I got a nasty case of food poisoning from their meal when traveling over there on March 30 and spent a day in the hospital).