Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Not here to help

From Asakusa to Disney

There is a place where there is no dirt on the streets. It is a place where people are polite and respectful and pay attention to the smallest of details. It is a place with no thugs and where dog poop is not left on the street.
    Sometimes I go to Japan.

I live in Sweden. It´s cold and expensive. We are far away from Disneyland.

Japan is magic. I felt the magic as a child when I dreamed of going to that place where everything is different. There is something about it that I really love. I feel at home but still very lost when I am in Tokyo. I have been in Tokyo earlier but also in Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima. There is something that I like about all of those places, but Tokyo is my favorite.

Name:  P1070155.JPG
Views: 1219
Size:  106.3 KB

When in Tokyo I always stay in Asakusa. It´s a calm area with alot of cheap places to eat. Transportation to TDR and other parts of Tokyo is never a problem. I always stay at the same Ryokan in Asakusa wich is a type of a Japanese hostel. It makes me really feel that I am in another place than the one I live in.

Name:  P1060715.JPG
Views: 1219
Size:  126.1 KB
    A market place to buy everything that is traditional and from Japan. It leads up to a temple.

Name:  P1070097.JPG
Views: 1216
Size:  84.5 KB
    Traditional candy. It´s a strawberry inside a some really sweet sticky slime. It was served cold and was really good.

Name:  P1060719.JPG
Views: 1217
Size:  128.0 KB
    Asakusa feels very far away from the modern looking streets of Shibuya and Shinjuku in Tokyo.

Name:  P1070017.JPG
Views: 1221
Size:  126.9 KB

Name:  P1070018.JPG
Views: 1214
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  P1070095.JPG
Views: 1213
Size:  123.5 KB
    Japan is a mix of old and new. It is much better themed than any themepark. The best part of it all is that it is real.

Name:  P1070112.JPG
Views: 1211
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  P1070120.JPG
Views: 925
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  P1070113.JPG
Views: 1206
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  P1070115.JPG
Views: 1200
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  P1070192.JPG
Views: 1202
Size:  116.5 KB

Name:  P1070184.JPG
Views: 1204
Size:  112.3 KB
    This is the way many stores still look in some places in Japan. I want to enter and buy stuff even if I don´t have clue what they sell inside.

Name:  P1070125.JPG
Views: 1202
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  P1070137.JPG
Views: 1204
Size:  92.4 KB
    All dogs wear a coat, jacket or a shirt if it is a bit windy or cold. this one was feeling a bit traditional.

This time in Japan my main goal with the stay was the cherry blossom bloom.

Name:  P1070143.JPG
Views: 1198
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  P1070158.JPG
Views: 1201
Size:  150.6 KB
    People gather in hords around the blooming trees. They bring food and alcohol.

Name:  P1070169.JPG
Views: 1205
Size:  155.0 KB
    While poeple are busy spending time in the shade of the blooming trees my mind is starting to tell me that it is my oppertunity to go to Disneyland.

Name:  P1070140.JPG
Views: 1201
Size:  127.4 KB

Name:  P1070181.JPG
Views: 1195
Size:  95.0 KB

After having watched about a hundred million flowers for a few days it felt like the time has come to go to Disneyland.

Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 04-25-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Sawasdee! สวัสดี! :)

Re: From Asakusa to Disney

I really love Asakusa . Did you try melon-pan there? it's really delicious!
    Sorry for grammar mistakes! I'm not really good in English!

• Not here to help

I missed that. I tried much but I guess melon-pan will have to wait for my next visit.
    Thanks for the tip!

Excellent photos. Looking forward to more. I leave on May 6 for my first visit to Japan. I cannot wait to experience what I have waited a long time to see.

• Resident of the Caldera

Was at Asakusa (for those who don't know, pronounced A-sock-sa) just two weeks ago. Beautiful. Funny to see you so tall among the Japanese, Timmy.

You should take a few days and go to Kamakura. Great Shinto Shrines and Buddhist Temples there. And far away from the feel of Tokyo.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Minion FOREVER!

Yup, Asakusa is great. I really don't like Tokyo very much (too crowded; way too fast), but Asakusa is one district that I'm somewhat ok with.

Timmy, hope you got to try some of the "oden" and "tempura" restaurants in the area around Sensoji.

oh, where (what store) is the good melon pan in Asakusa?

• Surfin the net with Duffy

great report and pictures, you are giant to the Japanese people!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Sawasdee! สวัสดี! :)

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    oh, where (what store) is the good melon pan in Asakusa?
    The shop's name is " 花月堂 Kagetsudo ", located at the end of the main shopping street , approaching Asakusa Kannon Temple. The soft-cream there is yummy too, there's a lot of flavor to choose!
    Sorry for grammar mistakes! I'm not really good in English!

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by switttdrfan View Post
    The shop's name is " 花月堂 Kagetsudo ", located at the end of the main shopping street , approaching Asakusa Kannon Temple. The soft-cream there is yummy too, there's a lot of flavor to choose!
    Thanks, Switttdrfan!

• Resident of the Caldera

I stood in front of that store just a few weeks ago, and was second in line to buy the sweet bread, when the guy came out and announced that they were sold out for the day. Double jumbo bummer.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Not here to help

While Japan is watching flowers we went to my favorite place on earth.

Tokyo Disney Resort is a must for any Disneyland fan. It is the best example of how Disney can live up to it´s goals. It takes about an hour to get from Asakusa by train to TDR.
    The train stops have melodies that play when trains arrive on the stations. When heading for Disney a melody from a Disney movie is played. The one I notice most often is "Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah"

The sun was shining and we arrived one hour before Disneyland opened. There was already a small crowd waiting to be first inline to enter.

Entering Disneyland in Tokyo is to walk or run like alot of the japanese tend to do through their version of Mainstreet, the indoor mall like World Bazaar.

Name:  P1070311.JPG
Views: 902
Size:  93.6 KB
    The outside of World Bazaar

Name:  P1070255.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  119.0 KB
    The water areas around the central hub looks almost too good to be true. I´m going to bring my speedos next time. I simply have to swim in that water before I die. We shall see...

Name:  P1070275.JPG
Views: 905
Size:  57.6 KB
    This woman is a real Disneyfan. People wait for the parades for hours before the actual parade starts. The same goes for many of the shows in both parks. Japan is populated by some very patient people.

Name:  P1070303.JPG
Views: 901
Size:  84.9 KB
    20 minutes before the parade is about to start and all "seats" are taken.

Before a parade starts we all know that there are some announcements played to clafify what is going on and when it will start. One thing that is very irritating at times is that CM´s repeat the same sentences over and over again, for hours. If you wait for a parade, make sure you sit far from a CM or you will get a headache. When waiting for the parades my companions felt harrased by CM´s constantly aproaching them and telling them about... things they did not need to know. In addition to that there was the traditional announcements made in the speakers all over the park when something will be going on. That alone should have been enough. There is no need for the constant nagging from the CM´s. It´s not good service, it´s just plain annoying to hear the same thing over and over from speakers and shouting CM´s.

This day was a very calm day. The park was not very crowded. The only rides that had much of a wait was "Pooh" and "Monsters". Both had about 50 minutes. The other rides had about 10 minutes wait. The new Phillharmagic and the castle walkthrough had about 15 minutes wait each. Sun and light crowds, what else can a person wish for when in Tokyo Disneyland?

Spring in Tokyo Disneyland means "Easter Wonderland"

Name:  P1070254.JPG
Views: 902
Size:  80.8 KB
    The park has some nice easter decorations here and there. The main attraction during easter in Tokyo Disneyland is the Easter Wonderland Parade.

Name:  P1070246.JPG
Size:  61.1 KB
    This is my favorite parade. I love the music and the way Mickey runs from float to float when it has it showstops. I wish WDW could get a parade like this someday.

Name:  P1070253.JPG
Views: 900
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  P1070284.JPG
Views: 901
Size:  133.0 KB
    Easter eggs

Name:  P1070258.JPG
Views: 900
Size:  88.6 KB
    This future is old and with too many patches on the ground.

Name:  P1070198.JPG
Views: 895
Size:  97.7 KB
    The castle is as grand as in WDW and then some.

The park has two new main attractions, Phillharmagic and Cinderellas Fairy Tale Hall.

Name:  P1070290.JPG
Size:  100.3 KB
    The inside of the castle in the tour area is not bad either. But just like the outside it doesn´t really match the look of the movie.

Phillharmagic is just as dated as in Hong Kong and Orlando. The movie is not as sharp and good sounding as one might expect from a brand new attraction in one of the worlds leading themeparks. People have 3D TVs with much clearer picture quality in their homes today. The lobby was nice with a feeling of a real theatre. But the exterior is far behind Hong Kong Disneyland when it comes to design. That is the story of Fantasyland in Tokyo that we all know.

We spent more time in Fantasyland than we use to.

Name:  P1070299.JPG
Views: 896
Size:  90.8 KB
    My and many others problem with Disneyland here is that some parts of the park look a bit sterile and like Disneyland looked in Annaheim ages ago.

Name:  P1070199.JPG
Size:  67.0 KB
    Is this really how a land of fantasy looks? I wish the second gate could influence the first a bit.

Name:  P1070326.JPG
Views: 897
Size:  111.9 KB

Name:  P1070271.JPG
Views: 890
Size:  86.0 KB
    Time to eat "wonderland style". The theming here is among the best in Fantasyland.

Name:  P1070268.JPG
Views: 891
Size:  71.1 KB
    The food was pretty good, but the portions are far from enough for a big westener as me. This picture shows what I ate and drank. It was about 30 USD I think.

Name:  P1070306.JPG
Views: 891
Size:  62.0 KB
    This is my mothers favorite ride in the park. Not mine.

Name:  P1070305.JPG
Views: 894
Size:  59.8 KB
    I really wish the stones could move. Why is it that hard for Disney to make all the effects in this ride work?

Name:  P1070321.JPG
Size:  132.2 KB

Name:  P1070320.JPG
Views: 889
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  P1070323.JPG
Views: 888
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  P1070327.JPG
Views: 887
Size:  79.1 KB
    This is the best Splash Mountain of all. This is one of those rides that is good anywhere but outstanding and a must when in Tokyo. The waiting area is like a real cave in a real mountain. I want to live there someday.

Name:  P1070332.JPG
Size:  69.1 KB
    The sun is going down and I´m starting to feel like watching a parade.

Name:  P1070342.JPG
Size:  58.9 KB
    The robots serve drinks to people that have visited Space Mountain. I´m not sure if I like them or not.

Name:  P1070349.JPG
Views: 883
Size:  90.9 KB
    The Electrical Parade in Tokyo is the best nightparade of all. The new additions are superb and almost too good.

The day had come to an end. We watched the fireworks from the area around Big Thunder Mountain. They were big enough but way too short. They function as something to look at for while for those who have energy to stick around after the Electrical Parade.

We were very tired but managed to squeeze in a few rides the last hour of the parks time open. "Stay to the last moment and ride as much as possible" is my motto. We found some new energy when we saw that almost all rides had no wait at all.

We wanted to ride Pirates, but it was being refurbed. I saw boats outside the parks covered on a parkinglot and assumed it was from that ride.

Disneyland was great as always. Clean and well kept with alot of attention put into the smallest of details. All of the best things from Disneyland in Annaheim and the Magic Kingdom in Orlando in one big park.
    But it was only a warm up for what awaited us next.

Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 04-26-2012 at 06:54 AM.

• curiouser and curiouser

Great trip report so far!
    Did you stay at the Sakura Hostel? That's usually where we stay in Asakusa.

P.s. Kul med en svensk som är lika Disney fanatisk som en själv Om vi någonsin är i Japan samtidigt så borde vi träffas och ta en TDR runda ihop. Nästa gång för oss blir i September.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    Great trip report so far!
    Did you stay at the Sakura Hostel? That's usually where we stay in Asakusa.

P.s. Kul med en svensk som är lika Disney fanatisk som en själv Om vi någonsin är i Japan samtidigt så borde vi träffas och ta en TDR runda ihop. Nästa gång för oss blir i September.
    We stayed at Asakusa Ryokan & Hostel Toukaisou -- Cheap and traditional Japanese style hostel in Asakusa,Tokyo
    That´s the place I always chose. I know the neighbourhood and I have everything that I need close by

Ja det kan vi göra. Det kommer dock dröjja innan jag åker till Japan igen Nästa resa lär bli Dubai och efter det Disney´s Aulani och Disneyland i Californien

• Surfin the net with Duffy

great photos Timmy! Did you visit with your family?

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• curiouser and curiouser

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    We stayed at Asakusa Ryokan & Hostel Toukaisou -- Cheap and traditional Japanese style hostel in Asakusa,Tokyo
    That´s the place I always chose. I know the neighbourhood and I have everything that I need close by

Ja det kan vi göra. Det kommer dock dröjja innan jag åker till Japan igen Nästa resa lär bli Dubai och efter det Disney´s Aulani och Disneyland i Californien
    Ok, för oss blir det Californien nästa sommar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast