Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Not here to help

The worst ride in DisneySEA

I always rave about how great DisneySEA is, because it really is. But there is one ride that does not fit like other rides do in the park. Itīs placed in an area of the park that gives a very "old" and "rugged" impression. I do understand that everything does not have to be from the same time period or have the same finish to it ...but still. I wish they had made the whole ride and cue building with more attention to detail and with another style of paint job. It has a very plastic type of look as it is now.

Jasmine's Flying Carpets:

Here is my view on TDR: From Asakusa to Disney
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: The worst ride in DisneySEA

The ride is intended to add to the selection available for young children. It does that, and kids like it.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Minion

I imagine when Timmy calls it the "worst", he's not talking about the the ride-type or on-ride experience (a spinner for children). That's not the problem. The problem is the ride's appearance & finishes and what it does visually to the land. The fake "brass"/"gold" adornments and the flawless bright red & white tile make it look like a giant plastic PlaySkool toy, especially when sitting next to the old & weathered Sindbad fortress.

Once, the Arabian Coast was neatly bifurcated into the more pristine "palace" section (where this style would fit much better) and the more dilapidated "outskirts" section where Sinbad is. The architectural finishes in each section told the story beautifully & subtly.

Then came this thing. Inexplicably (it was designed by a veteran WDI talent, Chuck Ballew) this attraction doesn't attempt to compliment (or even transition) its wider surroundings in materials or color scheme. If you look at the finishes of the MK Carpets, with the falling apart walls and brass lamps - lifting that design would have worked much better with the Sinbad area of Arabian Coast. This was DisneySea's first (and only?) major design mis-step with respect to land aesthetics. I continue to scratch my head at how this design was chosen over the 3 or 4 other alternatives Ballew designed (I'd wager he probably wasn't too thrilled this one was picked either). And even after it was picked, why zero attempt was made to integrate it with its surroundings. Ballew and Lansizero are very talented park designers, so there must be something going on that we don't know about (e.g., an insistence by a higher-up for something brightly colored to try to attract Japanese children?)
    Last edited by RandySavage; 05-07-2012 at 08:52 PM.

• Tokyo Disney Sea Cast

This spinner is indeed a very nice looking addition, I know people have opinions, but I dont think this is the worst ride...turtle talk is!!(even though it's a show)

I don't even feel like reading Randy's long boring paragraph
    Tokyo Disneyland Crew!

Currently working at:: Journey to the Center of the Earth!

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    This spinner is indeed a very nice looking addition, I know people have opinions, but I dont think this is the worst ride...turtle talk is!!(even though it's a show)

I don't even feel like reading Randy's long boring paragraph
    Turtle Talk is not visible from outside. The flying carpet ride looks like a carnival ride made of cheap plastic. The flowers on give it that extra cheap look. Dumbo looks a 100 times better. (Dumbo in HKDL and MK... not the TDL one)

The area is built up buy a wall resembling a ruin... small detail everywhere. In the middle of it all the is a childrens spinner made from shiny plastic.

Itīs not horrible... just not as good as the rest. The ride itself is not as much the issue as the look of it. Spinners are ok of they fit. This does not fit. Two completely different looks side by side.

Prometheus... we all have different taste, its ok. This is mine.
    Perhaps you would think WDS looks great as well?

The flying carpets are ride is like a stain on a very expensive kimono.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 05-08-2012 at 06:00 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Just another Disney fan..

I think the flying carpets brings much needed movement, energy and attention to an area of the park that was previously DEAD. Before this spinner was added, there was little to no reason to even walk past the bridges to get to that location.

The attraction is not for everyone. I have seen kids and young families enjoy this new addition. If it also draws people to Sindbad, that is a not a bad thing either.

I can understand some people might think it visually doesn't fit. I find it harder to understand calling it the worst. It serves a purpose. Not everyone will grasp this concept.

I am reading opinions in this thread from some people who have not actually been to the park and seen how Jasmine's Flying Carpets blends in to the surrounding area in person, and are relying on photographs or videos to give an opinion.

I would suggest saving your opinion until you actually stand in the park and see it for yourself. As Roger55 notes, this area of the park was dead before, now it's got some life to it. The Flying Carpets don't look out of place.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    I am reading opinions in this thread from some people who have not actually been to the park and seen how Jasmine's Flying Carpets blends in to the surrounding area in person, and are relying on photographs or videos to give an opinion.

I would suggest saving your opinion until you actually stand in the park and see it for yourself. As Roger55 notes, this area of the park was dead before, now it's got some life to it. The Flying Carpets don't look out of place.
    While I don't understand why they went with such a bright hue, I am glad that area now has some traffic.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Minion

I am reading opinions in this thread from some people who have not actually been to the park and seen how Jasmine's Flying Carpets blends in to the surrounding area in person, and are relying on photographs or videos to give an opinion.I would suggest saving your opinion until you actually stand in the park and see it for yourself.
    Could say something similar to you regarding your opining on Luigi's Tires' problems and potential fixes in the DCA tracker, when you have never ridden it personally to know if there's a problem or not... and there are even fewer photos & close-up vids of that ride. Two way street. You formed an opinion (which I happen to agree with) based on what you've seen and heard about Luigis and shared on a discussion board. I've done the same here. Not everyone is going to agree with you all the time.

That said, I will give you that the best assessment would require seeing the Carpets in their environment in person, but on an English-speaking discussion board for a Japanese theme park, I think posts based on second hand media (pics, video, reports) are acceptable.

As Roger55 notes, this area of the park was dead before, now it's got some life to it.
    No one here has disputed that. The criticism has been about its finishes.
    The Flying Carpets don't look out of place.
    Can you find me a photo or vid where they look "in place"? I'd seriously like to see one, as it would make me feel better about this otherwise superlative theme park.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 05-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.

• Just another Disney fan..

Just throwing this out to those that have harsh remarks about Jasmine's Flying Carpets fitting into the look of the area of Arabian Coast where it was installed.

In Walt's original Disneyland, how does the Matterhorn at the end of Main Street USA fit in thematically? The answer is... it doesn't! It doesn't fit in with the theme of Tomorrowland or Fantasyland either for that matter.

That doesn't mean that the Matterhorn Bobsleds are a blemish on Disney's crown jewel theme park does it?

When it was added to Disneyland back in 1959, the Matterhorn Bobsleds brought a well received thrill ride with innovative technology to the park. I don't think a lot of thought was put in by the Guests back then how it "ruined" the theming of all the different lands. And it most certainly didn't, and still doesn't, look "in place".

Now I admit Jasmine's Flying Carpet is NOT the innovative and thrilling attraction that the Matterhorn Bobsleds was back in 1959, but it in fact does a better job matching the theming of the Arabian Coast than the Matterhorn does in Disneyland.

Pointing out how the colors and finishing don't match is fine. I just think it is going too far to trash the entire attraction. While not perfect, the attraction does appear to be serving its purpose.

---------- Post added 05-08-2012 at 05:10 PM ----------

Just an added thought.... I just realized while proofreading my post that Sleeping Beuaty Castle at the end of Main Street also doesn't look "in place"!

I guess I'm so conditioned to just accept the castle for what it is in its traditional location that I never even bothered to think about how it fits in!

"Can you find me a photo or vid where they look "in place"?"

Well, that's my whole point. You can't adequately judge exactly how Jasmine's Carpets look from a photo or video. You need to stand there and look with your own eyes. I think folks who've actually done that have a higher opinion of how it looks within the overall setting.

As for Luigi's Flying Tires--entirely different. I'm not discussing its aesthetics, but the fact that the ride vehicles move slowly and lack the buoyancy of the orignal flying saucer ride vehicles. This is easily ascertained by watching videos of both rides. Do you think, with Lasseter micro-managing things like the sudden removal of rotating Condor Flats sign, that he's going to let Luigi's ride vehicles creep along? That doesn't follow his personality profile. You should also compare the speed at which the ride vehicles moved on the prototype set up at WDI versus the speed with which they move now that they're on the real ride platform. Much slower. We'll see new ride vehicles at Luigi's within two years or less. In fact, I would bet that Lasseter already has them designing the new ride vehicles.

• Minion

I think folks who've actually done that have a higher opinion of how it looks within the overall setting.
    That is true and is encouraging to me.

As for Luigi's Flying Tires--entirely different. I'm not discussing its aesthetics, but the fact that the ride vehicles move slowly and lack the buoyancy of the orignal flying saucer ride vehicles. This is easily ascertained by watching videos of both rides.
    I agree with your sentiments on the Tires. I think your posts are generally quality and informative... not trying to pick a fight. I enjoy the civil debate. What I have a problem with is the double standard: "You can't adequately assess how the Carpets look from photos or vids so keep your opinion to yourself, but I, on the other hand, can assess how much fun/fast the tires are from a video and here's Disney needs to do about it." Again, I think one can indeed make those kinds of assessments about the Tires at this point (based on media). Right or wrong, we're at the point where a discussion can be had. But if that's true, one can certainly give long-distance opinions on the look of the Carpets. If anything, how the carpets appear is far more "easily ascertained" than the quality of a ride experience (both based on secondary sources).

Regardless, it's a discussion board, and, while I understand the firsthand opinions are the better informed, I don't have the luxury of giving them in this case. I hope when I see them in person, my opinion changes, although that didn't seem to happen with the original poster.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 05-08-2012 at 05:15 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

"Can you find me a photo or vid where they look "in place"?"

Well, that's my whole point. You can't adequately judge exactly how Jasmine's Carpets look from a photo or video. You need to stand there and look with your own eyes
    While seeing things in person is better... you act like we are making conclusions from a 3yr old's crayon drawing. There are plenty of good photos, videos, from lots of different places for this attraction. I mean this is 2012... cameras are quite good
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Tokyo Disney Sea Cast

THIS!! I agree with Fukai

---------- Post added 05-09-2012 at 04:42 PM ----------

I cant believe this person is criticizing when he NEVER visited the park/went or saw this ride.....
    Tokyo Disneyland Crew!

Currently working at:: Journey to the Center of the Earth!

• Loves Mickey!

I think the attraction looks fine and brings life to that area of the park. At night it's even gorgeous when it's lit up! Not every ride needs to be like Journey or Indy.
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast