Thread: Parades & Shows

Parades & Shows

Hi guys, long time lurker but first time poster. Have a quick question and knew this was the best place. Just wondering if you have any tips for the best places to watch the main parades and shows at both Disneyland and Disneysea. I am going for the first time next week and want to make sure I get the best vantage point for everything.

Thanks.

• Not here to help

Re: Parades & Shows

In DisneySEA avoid standing on the same side as the Fortress for Fantasmic! and Mythica. Otherwise its ok at most places. I personally would stand somewhat to te side and not straight infront.

Somebody else might explain it better...
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by *Robyn* View Post
    Hi guys, long time lurker but first time poster. Have a quick question and knew this was the best place. Just wondering if you have any tips for the best places to watch the main parades and shows at both Disneyland and Disneysea. I am going for the first time next week and want to make sure I get the best vantage point for everything.

Thanks.
    Hard to know what you are considering the "main" parades and shows, but I'll try to guess which ones you mean.

Tokyo Disneyland Parades

Disney's Easter Wonderland Parade - Best viewed from right in front of the castle. Here you can see the floats pass twice due to them all doing a loop around the hub with the show stop right happening right in the middle of the loop. The area in front of the castle is obviously crowded with people camping out there several hours before the parade. If you don't want to camp out, I suggest viewing the parade from within the hub. There you can actually see all the floats and characters around the hub during the show stop. Be sure to follow Mickey as he starts from in front of the castle and makes his way around the hub.

Jubilation and Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights - I like to watch these parades on the inner circle of the hub on the right side of the castle in front of the Crystal Palace. From there you can see the floats come across the bridge from Westernland and head towards you before they actually pass in front of you. If you go early you can get a bench seat there and don't have to sit on the ground. Japanese crowds are well behaived and everyone in front will sit on the ground with their hats, unbrellas and balloons removed.

Tokyo DisneySea Shows

Fantasmic - Best viewing is from the balconies of Oceana or Silk Road restaurants. If you don't get reservations to eat dinner there to watch the show, best viewing is in Mediterranean Harbor facing Mt Prometheus. This is the main viewing area and the show is designed to be viewed from here.

Legend of Mythica - This show can be viewed from almost anywhere around Mediterranean Harbor. There are several land based show areas around the harbor where Guests congregate based on their favorite character. If you aren't so particular, just try to get a good up close spot anywhere around the harbor.

Lido Isle Welcome to Spring - Like most shows this is best seen from front and center. People run to this show when the park first opens to get the best seats. Main viewing is all ground seating with some standing area viewing further back. If you go one hour prior to show start you should be able to get decent standing area viewing.

Easter in New York - This show has a very unusual viewing method. Guests sit on the ground in four main "blocks" and the characters, dancers and musicians perform in the "aisles" between the four seating areas. The show goes on all between the four block areas and on the outside there are elevated platforms where parts of the show also take place. I'm assuming they wanted to re-create NYC street atmosphere by doing this. You really have to have your head on a swivel to see this show as things are happening all around. If you chose to stand and watch you are forced to do so from outside the main show area looking in. I found that even though you can't always see everything happening on all the platforms around the edge of the show area, standing and watching allowed best viewing of all the performers as they weave inbetween all the seated Guests.

Spring Time Surprise - This is a stage based show where best viewing is front and center. Like all shows in TDR, there is only floor seating in the prime viewing areas and you have to go at least one hour ahead of time to get the best spots. There is standing area viewing for this show that isn't bad at all. There is some good seating where you don't have to sit on the ground. There are some locations on the fountain in the middle of the viewing area where they allow Guests to sit on the fountain edge. These are great seats but of course are mostly filled up prior to one hour before the show.

These are what I would consider to be the main shows and parades. Let me know if I've left out another show or parade you are interested in knowing about.

• Loves Mickey!

Hi Robyn!
    What is your focus during the show or parade? Do you to enjoy it by watching without worrying about taking video/photos? Further back or closer to the performers? Is your focus taking photos? Video? Do you have a favorite character? How much time is good for you to wait for a position? Will you go on a weekday or weekend?

Roger55's advice is really great! I will just add that for Easter in NY sitting position and for Welcome to Spring that if you want a better position and are willing to wait for the next show you can wait in line for the next show. The line for Easter in NY is on the Broadway Music Theater side of Waterfront Park and the line for Lido is behind Ponte Vechio. The best sitting position for Easter in NY is one of the center corners and best standing position is the corner behind the vacation package seating area or the corner directly across from it but the positions are very difficult to get and require you to be a very fast runner or to have a lot of time on your hands and patience. (Note: Standing position does not switch out so after the show ends some people leave but if the person has a really good position they may stay for the other shows.) At Disneyland it's much easier to get a good parade position, if you are taking video or photos you can ask for the show stop area and then where to wait for the standing section if you would like a good standing position. Hope you have a wonderful trip!
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

• Just another Disney fan..

Great points! I think it's worth repeating for those who haven't been conditioned to think like those of us who have been going to TDR for years... Waiting in line for prime viewing for the next show usually means waiting 2 or more hours. Sitting to watch shows and parades means sitting flat on the ground.

Like others here, I've been going to TDR for many years. Sometimes I forget that the TDR experience and the Japanese Guests is completely unique compared to the other Disney parks. The enthusiasm and percivierance of the Japanes Guest is unmatched by any other Disney Guests around the world. Waiting 2 or more hours for a prime spot for a show or parade is not considered unusual. My USA Disney friends are amazed by the extreme lengths Japanese Guests are willing to go through just to make sure they get the best spot based on their personal criteria.

Another point worth mentioning is that because the Japanese Guests are willing to wait for hours on end for shows and parades, TDR instituted several years back, a rule saying Guests aren't allowed to spread out sheets or other ground covering to sit on until one hour before the show or parade. It is quite interesting to watch all the people who've been waiting on the ground, pull out and spread out their sheets exactly one hour before the show.

By the way, for parades at TDL and certain shows at TDR there are benches or other places to sit that aren't flat on the ground. They usually require waiting for a considerable amount of time to procure.

Dont let all this scare you into thinking you need to wait for hours just to see a show or parade. If you don't mind having an distant, obstructed or partial view, and you don't need to get nice pictures, you can "see" most shows and parades by getting to a viewing location within one hour of its start.

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    Hi Robyn!
    What is your focus during the show or parade? Do you to enjoy it by watching without worrying about taking video/photos? Further back or closer to the performers? Is your focus taking photos? Video? Do you have a favorite character? How much time is good for you to wait for a position? Will you go on a weekday or weekend?
    We are going during the week as I have heard it can be quite bad at the weekend. I like to take photos, far too many probably. And I have seen myself queuing for about an hour and a half at other parks, I'm just not great in direct sun and not sure how hot it is (I am from Scotland afterall).

Thanks to everyone's great advice. It does sound a little daunting though and I'm just scared of missing anything, as this maybe my only time there (hopefully not though).

Everyone's one advice is spot on. I just got back from my first visit to TDR and the Japanese love to line up and wait for their parades and shows.

We saw most of the shows at the resort while we were there and had no problem with seeing any though we did wait for some to make sure we had a good spot.

We saw Fantasmic from the space just behind the Disney Package Guest seating and it was perfect. For Mythica we were on the left side of the lagoon near Lido Isle. It was the area where Minnie performs. Again, it was a great spot.

We saw Big Band Beat twice, once we queued for about 10 mins and got great seats in the orchestra though that show was far from filled. (It was a rainy day) The second time we saw it we slipped into the theatre right before show time and got a great seat in the balcony. Both days we were there they did not have lotteries.

For the Easter Parade, Jubilation and Dream Lights we were a few people back at the break in the hub that leads to Adventureland. It was a great view there too.

The shows and parades at TDR really blew us away. You will love them.

• Resident of the Caldera

Because I have a bad back and can't sit on the ground comfortably, I usually just linger until everyone is sitting down and then walk up and stand behind them a few minutes before the parade starts. Perfect for parade or show watching ... except for Fantasmic at DisneySEA, where many more people seem to be standing rather than sitting (so they can see).
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic513 View Post
    We saw Fantasmic from the space just behind the Disney Package Guest seating and it was perfect. For Mythica we were on the left side of the lagoon near Lido Isle. It was the area where Minnie performs. Again, it was a great spot.
    I would just like to add that is the place I use to go to. It semes easy to get a good view from there.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME