Shows Worthwhile If Don't Understand Japanese

Hey. I understand many (if not all) the shows at TDL and TDS are in Japanese. Which of these shows are worthwhile (and which would you say are OK to skip) for someone who doesn't understand the Japanese language?

Similarily, are there attractions you'd suggest skipping if someone doesn't understand the language? (What about the Jungle Cruise? A big draw, in my opinion, is the comedic dialogue...)

Thanks!!!!!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Shows Worthwhile If Don't Understand Japanese

Quote Originally Posted by disqueen11 View Post
    Hey. I understand many (if not all) the shows at TDL and TDS are in Japanese. Which of these shows are worthwhile (and which would you say are OK to skip) for someone who doesn't understand the Japanese language?

Similarily, are there attractions you'd suggest skipping if someone doesn't understand the language? (What about the Jungle Cruise? A big draw, in my opinion, is the comedic dialogue...)

Thanks!!!!!
    Jungle Cruise is not as great when you don't follow the language, but the shows are worth it. Big Band Beat was almost 100% English and Minnie Oh Minnie was in English, Japanese and Spanish (wtf?).

Best of all, even shows that were hard to follow like Super Dooper Jumpin Time were great fun to watch because they are completely ridiculous. Japanese shows were great (and I don't really like most US shows).

Definitely see whatever you can. Even Jungle (where the skippers are still kinda crazy, unlike most of the CMs in the park).

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Most of the shows at the Resort involve very little dialogue. Its mainly Characters and performers in costumes dancing to pre recorded music. For me the must see shows are Big Band Beat and Mystic Rhythms at Tokyo DisneySea. And Minnie Oh Minnie at Tokyo Disneyland. All the above shows feature live elements like singers and musicians. One Man Dreams II and A Table is Waiting can easily be missed in my opinion. Unless your well into Character shows. And absolutely you have to check out Jubilation, Dreamlights, Mythica and Fantasmic. No trip to the Tokyo Disney Resort would be complete without these shows and parades.

In regards to attractions Pirates and Captain EO are in English. But everything else is in Japanese except for some of the soundtracks which are a mixture of both English and Japanese like Splash and Small World. Shows like the Little Mermaid and the Magic Lamp Theatre are in Japanese but do offer translation devices on request.

• Not here to help

Donīt miss:

Jubilation
    Electrical Parade: Dreamlights
    Legend Of Mythica
    Fantasmic!
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Resident of the Caldera

Tokyo Disneyland:

One Man's Dream is awful: skip it.

Super Duper Jumpin Time is for toddlers. Skip it.

Minnie Oh Minnie is great, language is not an issue.

They offer an English-language translation device for the Tiki Room show.

Best Parade is the world: Electrical Parade Dreamlights. Don't miss it.

The skippers on the Jungle Cruise are so much more lively in Tokyo that you will enjoy being surrounded by people laughing heartily, even if you don't understand the jokes. The ride itself is as known, and enjoyable whether you understand the spiel or not. Frankly, the Jungle Cruise skippers in the US are so uniformly awful and unfunny, I prefer the Japanese ride because of that.

Tokyo DisneySEA

Big Band Beat is great and all English.

Mystic Rhythms is a Cirque style show, so the dialogue is meaningless anyway. And it's great.

The Little Mermaid Show offers a hand-held translation device, but is mostly music.

The Magic Lamp Theatre offers a hand-held translation device, that is important in understanding the show.

Legend of Mythica is a wonderful spectacle--yes, you won't understand the Japanese, but the dialogue is mostly irrelevant. It's a spectacle.

Fantasmic is odd: Everything is far away and many viewing angles are poor (typical of a Steve Davison show). If you love Fantasmic in Disneyland, you will be disappointed in this. Still, it's worth seeing. Just make sure that you stand near the Zambini Brother's restaurant so you can full see the magic mirror.

You don't need to know any Japanese to enjoy most of the rides (there is quite a bit of English-language signage around). BUT, one ride I can help with: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. After you zap the squid, your vehicle's power system has overheated and you lose power, so you drift deeoer into the ocean. Keep watching the walls and you'll notice the that the sea creatures will be seen (in silhouette on the wall) pushing your vehicle back to the surface).

The following information will be very helpful: go to the Guest Relations window outside both parks and ask for a set of "story papers" or "attraction papers" in ENGLISH. You'll be handed an envelope containing several dozen beautifully printed pieces of paper describing each ride in English.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Thanks for the information, everyone. It is all very helpful!

• Established 2005

So much hate for my little show, OMD2.

Dreamlights is a definite DO NOT MISS.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Electrical Parade Dream Lights
    Legend of Mythica
    Fantasmic*havent seen it yet but I enjoyed its predecessor.
    Big Band Beat
    Mystic Rhythms.
    Little Mermaid
    Magic Lamp

Tokyo Disney Resort and all of japan for that matter is very english friendly . Just ask a CM and they will do their best to help you. I used a translation Device on Honey I shrunk the Audience, Tiki Room, Magic Lamp theatre..
    All though you really dont need you it , youll be having a blast!

DisneySea

Tower of Terror is completely in Japanese but the pre-show is fabulous. The details on the queue are gorgeous. I did it twice to take in all of the details. If you don't like thrill rides, you can leave before getting in the elevator.

The Gondolas, like the Jungle Cruise, have a Japanese script. We gave it a try while waiting for our ToT FastPasses. You can add this to your skip list unless you really like gondolas.

The Little Mermaid show is a mix of English songs and spoken Japanese. It is a great show and they offer a translation device like the Tiki Room. Highly recommended!

We went during October of 2011 so we got Halloween in TDL and 10th Anniversary Be Magical! in TDS. The Disney songs are in English and the spoken parts are in Japanese. The Halloween parade was a mix of Japanese and English. The Obake hand jive song (so super cool!) was completely sung in Japanese. I loved it so much, I bought the CD. The Haunted Mansion had the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay and was in Japanese. Be Magical! water parade was a mix.

If you like shows and parades, watching them in Japanese adds to the coolness factor. Mickey Mouse speaks fluent Japanese!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    In regards to attractions Pirates and Captain EO are in English.
    Awww man! I would give anything to hear Michael Jackson say "We're going in!" and "We've reached the homing beacon, sir!" in Japanese. I'm just weird like that.

I've seen videos of Country Bears in Japanese and it was HIGHLY amusing (same with the now former Mickey Mouse Revue since I knew both shows in English).

Big band beat, MS Electric Parade and mythica ate great shows in English / no language.

A lot of the other shows especially in Disneysea like the Mermaid show and Aladdin movie have hand held translators you read like subtitles.

Some of the rides like Sinbad and Tower of terror also have handout sheets which explain the story & make a nice souvenir as well (just ask an attendant).

To be honest some of the Japanese only attractions are just as much fun as their English equivalents - I loved the country bears and the tiki room in Japanese

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Awww man! I would give anything to hear Michael Jackson say "We're going in!" and "We've reached the homing beacon, sir!" in Japanese. I'm just weird like that.

I've seen videos of Country Bears in Japanese and it was HIGHLY amusing (same with the now former Mickey Mouse Revue since I knew both shows in English).
    I can say Country Bears in Japanese wasn't as entertaining as I hoped but Star Tours certainly was. Forget Captain Eo, Captian Rex in Japanese is epic. LIGHTOSPEED!