Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

• Dave

Blog Entries

Re: Tokyo Disney Resort Halloween 2012

Forgive me for my ignorance, do they celebrate Halloween in Japan?
    Dave

another page found

• Tokyo Disney is life!

Vinylmation...

Bottom left hand screen looks like Ghost ticket holders? Really hard to tell. If it is, it looks like that cheap plastic material. Top right has to be pumpkin plush candy holders!

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by Danimated View Post
    Vinylmation...

Bottom left hand screen looks like Ghost ticket holders? Really hard to tell. If it is, it looks like that cheap plastic material. Top right has to be pumpkin plush candy holders!
    Top right says "Hangs on your bag with ball chain. Plush badge set. 1500 yen."

I believe they are small soft stuffed Mickey/Minnie pumpkin heads you hang by a chain on your bag, backpack, purse, etc.

• Tokyo Disney is life!

Ah dangles! Even better!

• Tokyo Disney is life!

You thought it was bad before, this just takes the cake:

What I thought were ticket holders now look like a wall hanger. Whatever it is, along with the rest of the stuff, chicken scratch does not do it justice!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    Forgive me for my ignorance, do they celebrate Halloween in Japan?
    The ancestral holiday O-Bon or Bon Festival is in August, and the Japanese take on Halloween has nothing at all to do with it. Halloween in Japan has no connection with spirituality or historical tradition. It also has been most popularized for young children, primarily at English schools, and most of the horror elements for teens and adults are absent. It is fairly universally a fun kind of spooky, with no chillingly creepy associations for older folks.

Halloween events have been growing in popularity outside of TDR and English schools for the past few years. Halloween-themed character goods and food items spread more and more each year. Some local communities do "trick-or-treat" events where kids and their parents gather at a central location like a park, and kids walk from parent to parent asking for candy. Most 30s-and-younger Japanese from metropolitan areas know the expression "Trick or treat," I guess…maybe even up to forties.

A few Japanese friends have told me that they believe most Japanese think of Halloween as some kind of pumpkin harvest festival, and that most people don't really understand the ghosts and costumes. Actually, I bet that may be just as true for a lot of young Americans. "Why do we wear costumes and get candy on Halloween?" Cos it's Halloween. That's really all the explanation required for a secular, commercial event holiday. Contemporary Japanese are unlikely to ever send children out knocking on neighbors' or strangers' doors for myriad cultural reasons, although I imagine this may already happen in a few very small, affluent planned communities during a strictly set time period for probably not more than one hour.

However, the success of Halloween as a season-branding commercial holiday seems to spread to more products and more regions every year. Japanese people love costumes and fun themes. With the horror elements toned way down, Halloween as an autumn harvest festival with dancing skeletons and happy ghosts seems to have limitless growth potential. I think it's already very close to "mainstream" enough to say that, as a fun candy/costume/harvest holiday with no historical significance or established tradition, the Japanese do in fact celebrate enjoy Halloween in their own way.

• Resident of the Caldera

Tokyo Disney's first Halloween party was held in Toontown on Oct.31, 1997. It was a hard ticket event and just included a parade with kids in costumes. I believe everyone who bought a ticket got a large tin button (I have one in my collection). This slowly expanded until eventually the parade began to include floats with Disney characters in costume. You can find videos on YouTube of the various parades going back quite a way.

The first year that there was some decent degree of merchandise for the event seems to be 2000--that's when most of my earliest TDL Halloween collectibles come from. It has since grown to the mega-event that we know it.

As Duffy Daisuki relates, my Japanese friends tell me that the holiday was mostly unknown in Japan prior to Disney's initiation of it as a seasonal event. Even now, over 15 years later, kids only trick or treat in school. There is no walking from house to house. But you do see a lot of Halloween merchandise in toy stores in Japan, such as Haku-Hinkan or Kiddyland, not just at the Disney Resort or Disney stores.

I don't think the ghost figures are ticket/pass holders: they've already issued a set that looks like that a few years ago, and the characters change every year. I'm waiting for my new issue of Disney Fan to arrive!!!!!
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

I have my Disne Fan magazine in hand now. Lost of cool stuff for Halloween.

Any questions about the merchandise? I can now see everything more clearly than the earlier posted images.

Vinylmation...

What I thought were ticket holders now look like a wall hanger.

Bottom left is one of a set of 4 magnets. Two pairs of male/female pumpkins and ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    The ancestral holiday O-Bon or Bon Festival is in August, and the Japanese take on Halloween has nothing at all to do with it. Halloween in Japan has no connection with spirituality or historical tradition. It also has been most popularized for young children, primarily at English schools, and most of the horror elements for teens and adults are absent. It is fairly universally a fun kind of spooky, with no chillingly creepy associations for older folks.
    DuffyDaisuki, your descriptions are fabulous. You should write a guide for Disney fans visiting Tokyo. I know I would buy a copy.

is there a pic of the ticket/fastpass holders?

Quote Originally Posted by dizneydogs View Post
    is there a pic of the ticket/fastpass holders?
    No. No picture of ticket holder for TDR or TDS Halloween. Not for TDS 11th anniversary either.

• Tokyo Disney is life!

Here's the one for TDL. Not sure if you've already seen it, Diz.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    Bottom left is one of a set of 4 magnets. Two pairs of male/female pumpkins and ghosts.
    Boy was I wrong! Thanks for clearing that up, Roger. I'm little surprised since the devils are already getting the magnet treatment. Are they flat or 3d like they usually are? Any pics of what the Disney Store will have? Any other merch really cool that we haven't seen posted yet?

• Resident of the Caldera

Where's my copy of Disney Fan?
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast