Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Visiting soon! Questions! Please answer!!! ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    Tower of Terror in Disney Sea is the least thrilling version due to the seatbelts and the two bars to the side of you. I agree with Hotel Hightower having the best theme but I think WDW is better
    I agree. I haven't been to WDW before. I have been to Paris and Anaheim, they were both fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    DCA, WDS and TDS all share the same ride system, with DHS being the only unique ride system with its two elevator shafts and the horizontal movement when transitioning from one shaft to another.
    I know that WDS had the two elevator shafts, and the third dimension room is like a fork and it's where two tracks bend into one because there are four hallway scene rooms. It's also apparently a menace when one breaks down because then only two can operate and only one can drop at a time.

However TDS only just recently changed their drop sequence

Also I am still excited to go on it, I don't care if it's not as force full. I will still have fun

• Resident of the Caldera

I have always felt that the original Tower of Terror in Orlando was the least successful (the roughest ride, effects that don't work), while the one in Tokyo is the most successful because of the theming (Harrison Hightower and Shiriki Utundu blow away Rod Serling), the pre show (which is amazing), the theming, and the I love the smooth drops of the Tokyo Tower. It's like being dunked in a milkshake.

You've made a very good choice of going just before Golden Week. The parks are nearly empty and the weather is good, but it is chilly and you'll need a good jacket.

I always go in October for Halloween and find the crowds manageable unless i accidentally hit some school holiday.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    You've made a very good choice of going just before Golden Week. The parks are nearly empty and the weather is good, but it is chilly and you'll need a good jacket.
    so glad i chose to go then! I will have fun but even if there are huge crowds it will be an amazing experience!

Just found out that the new and 'Improved' version is called Tower of Terror Level 13 and apparently it's a random drop. I don't know if that means that it randomly selects the drops or it has a drop in between the show elements.

Can people just chat about stuff at Tokyo Disney Resort on this post or would that be silly?
    Last edited by ImagineerJoe; 08-04-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Hi everyone I am not sure about the rules of double posting and I apologise for it, but I forgot one MAJOR question of mine and that was communicating! I need to know if english will be good enough to get me around the resort and Tokyo. Thanks

~ Joe

• Just another Disney fan..

Japan is probably one of the better non-English speaking countries to visit if you don't speak the native language.

You won't find a lot of Cast Members in the park that can hold a conversation with you in English, but most of them will be able to answer simple questions or find someone for you who can answer your questions. Basic things like yes/no, numbers, how much?, where is ____?, etc. will be no problem in the parks.

Outside of the park you will find it also fairly easy to get around. All important signs are in Japanese and English. Korean and Chinese are also showing up more and more in popular tourist areas.

If you are at an area where there are a lot of foriegn visitors (i.e. airport, hotel, major sight seeing location, etc.) the people working there that interact with the tourist will speak English.

The place where you will have the most difficulty not being able to speak or read Japanese are restaurants that don't have English menus or servers that can speak English. Always ask for an English menu. Many restaurants do have them. If not, many of the restaurants have the famous "plastic food" in the windows/glass cases in front of their store.

If you don't know about these displays, you will be blown away by the detail and scale of the fake food displays in front of many of the Japanese restaurants. Not only does it give you a visual idea of what the restaurant has to offer, but can be used to tell a server what you want through hand gestures. Just have the server go to the window and point to the dish you want!

Bottom line is, you should have little to no problems if you don't speak Japanese. Just remember to be patient, courteous and plesant when interacting with a non-English speaking person. 99% of the time you will get a kind and helpful response.

Thank you so much!!

You should never save the best for last..... especially while traveling you never know what the future might bring. Always do the best first, in this case the very unique and incomparable DisneySea.

Two other hints: do JTTCOTE twice. Sit in the front row. Ask for the front row, it's better, and they will oblige you, but best to get a pocket phrase book in Japanese.

Also do PHH twice. Maybe the single best ride in the world, don't leave without doing it twice.

As far as language is concerned, you should never expect that people will understand English if that is not the lingua franca. Use the trip as an opportunity to develop some language skills. Luckily, the Japanese are very forgiving of bad pronunciation. A pocket guide or app can do wonders. No need for much advance preparation, just look at it on the plane ride. Learn how to say a few simple things like hello, please, excuse me, thank you, where are the bathrooms (or substitute whatever you are looking for), how much is that (or the name of what you'd like to buy), do you have.....

That's about it. Also, "do you speak English..." the ultimate handy phrase in any language.

In the rest of Tokyo, finding things can be difficult. Printing out a map (in Japanese) of where you want to go will make it easier for people to help you.

Pimsleur is a company that makes language CDs. I listened to the Japanese CDs before our trip and it was helpful to have a few properly pronounced phrases to use. The phrases "excuse me" and "thank you" are the top ones to learn.

• Resident of the Caldera

I only know about 15 to 20 Japanese words and phrases and have never had any problem. Most Japanese people understand English, though your accent may confuse them. They all learn it in school. Just be PATIENT.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Tokyo Disney Sea Cast

I only know about 15 to 20 Japanese words and phrases and have never had any problem. Most Japanese people understand English, though your accent may confuse them. They all learn it in school. Just be PATIENT.
    This. Be patient and the casts are kind enough to assist you with anything
    Tokyo Disneyland Crew!

Currently working at:: Journey to the Center of the Earth!

• Minion FOREVER!

Also always bring pen and paper. Even if the person cannot speak English, they will be able to read it & respond.
    Finally, if you are going beyond TDR, keep a Japanese business card of the hotel with you so you can show it. (Even the non-local Japanese do this...)

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Also always bring pen and paper. Even if the person cannot speak English, they will be able to read it & respond.)
    Yes!!! I drew a picture of the Halloween popcorn bucket for a cast member to get directions to the right popcorn cart. The English maps do not have the seasonal treats and merchandise pamphlets. I think I also drew a picture of bubble tea. I used my pad and pen out in Tokyo more than in TDL. Most CMs will find ways to communicate.

My 7 year old son carried a small pad, pen and a business card from the hotel when we were out in Tokyo or in TDS. He found more English speaking cast members than I did during our trip.

wow guys i didn't even know there is WDW in Tokyo!Now i want to go to Japan even more!
    I wish that disaster didn't happen... poor Japanese people

Quote Originally Posted by CalhounC View Post
    wow guys i didn't even know there is WDW in Tokyo!Now i want to go to Japan even more!
    I wish that disaster didn't happen... poor Japanese people
    yeah there is a Disney resort in Tokyo. It's my second favorite (first being Disneyland Resort) theme park in the world. I see no or minor flaws in those theme parks. They also have exclusive rides to Tokyo Disney Resort such as Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues under the sea, Sinbad's Storybook Adventure, Aquatopia, Pooh's hunny hunt etc.. They're all amazing!

I also agree with your comment on the disaster. I know Japan has and will stay strong! ^.^

Thank you everyone who is replying

Does anyone know where I can find the attendance/crowd calender?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast