Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TDR Aug. 21 and 22

I am going to be spending two days at TDR on August 21 and August 22 with two teenagers. All of us have been to WDW and Disneyland/DCA several times and have seen all the attractions and shows at each of those resorts (other than Cars Land at DCS). We have put together an "action plan" of attractions that we want to see at TDR and I am hoping to get advice on how best to see as many of them as possible while spending one day at each of the parks.

My first question is whether it makes a difference which day to go to which park. August 21 is a Tuesday and August 22 is a Wednesday.

Secondly, I would like to know if anyone has any ideas on the best plan to get to see all the attractions that I list below, i.e. where to go first and for which attractions to get fast passes. I have put in boldface the attractoins that we don't want to miss.

Tokyo Disneyland

Pirates of the Carribbean

Jungle Cruise

Tiki Room

Big Thunder Mountain

Splash Mountain

Peter Pan's Flight

Mickey's Philarmagic

Haunted Mansion

Pooh's Honey Pot

Roger Rabbit

Monsters, Inc.

Space Mountain

One Man's Dream II

Tokyo Disneysea

Tower of Terror

Turtle Talk

StormRider

Aquatopia

Sinbad's Storybook Voyage

Indiana Jones

Magic Lamp Theater

Journey to the Center of the Earth

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Fantasmic

I have not included Toy Story Mania because I have assumed that not going there will give us a head start on getting to see all the other attractions. We have been on Toy Story Mania several times in both Florida and California, so we are OK with missing it in Tokyo.

We are willing to get to the parks early both days and we are also OK with doing a lot of walking and back tracking if it will help us see more attractions.

I know that I have asked a lot of questions, so if anyone wants to answer just part of what I asked, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• TDR and Japan fan

Re: TDR Aug. 21 and 22

One mans dream II is a lottery system show, so it might be difficult to get tickets, maybe going to the first lottery would be the best.
    I would add Big Band Beat at disney sea, it's an awesome show
    don't stress to much, you are going on a weekday so you might be fine
    Trips:
    DLR: 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009 may
    WDW: 1993,1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2011
    DLP: 1996, 2002, June 2009
    TDL: July 2008, July 2010
    HKDL: wishing it will be soon

• Not here to help

TDL first and TDS last. The best way.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Definitely add Big Band Beat. It's great.

I highly suggest the Little Mermaid show in Ariel's Grotto. Beautiful puppetry! It is a different show from the one in DHS.

Try to catch at least one parade. TDL sits for the parades! Best idea ever!!!

Im flying into Tokyo on the 21st and plan to hit up Tokyo Disney Sea the 22nd. Ive been there before and know my way around pretty well but im going alone this time. If anyone would like to meet up I would be up for it.

Also dont forget about Indiana Jones

• Resident of the Caldera

Must See:
    1. Electrical Parade Dreamlights
    2. Legend of Mythica
    3. Pooh's Hunny Hunt
    4. Journey to the Center of the Earth
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Temporary Closure of Park Facilities | Tokyo Disney Resort
    this is a schedule for maintenance of park facilities. You're in lots of luck! Have fun!
    Also I would be excited for Tower of Terror. Just saying, because it looks superb! Especially with the new ride sequence!
    Indiana Jones looks great! Also so does aquatopia!

• Tokyo Disney Sea Cast

AT Tokyo Disney, you should do THIS plan:

1. As Park opens, DASH to Monsters, Inc.
    2.Grab a fastpass
    3. DASH to Pooh
    4.get on Pooh
    5. Go To Splash or THunder and grab a fastpass for one ride, then go on standby line for the other ride
    6. Ride Peter Pan or Haunted Mansion
    7. You are free to go on anything

August is crowded and the rides do get a lot of wait times
    Tokyo Disneyland Crew!

Currently working at:: Journey to the Center of the Earth!

Thanks to all of you for your responses. They are all very helpful.

I have one follow-up question. If I want to see one of the shows that is subject to the "lottery" for reserved seating, when would you go on line for that? Is it something that needs to be done close to park opening?

• Just another Disney fan..

I think your question will best be answered by Ichigopara. She is the most knowledgable person I've seen on these boards when it comes to TDR's lottery system. She is also probably the most experienced at using it too!

I have my share of experience too with the lottery system. It has just been a lot of bad expereinces lately.

Ok here is my two cents as I've posted elsewhere.

DisneySea first. It is unique unto the world, more special, and while traveling you should never save the best for last. Always do the most important things first. The future, even a day away, is not always easy to predict. Someone twists an ankle, gets heat prostration.... it can happen. Summer at TDR can be tremendously tiring.

Obviosly, FP is really important. In Tokyo, it is truly front-of-the-line as the FP line does not meet up with the standby line until the very end, in most cases. Conversely, not having FP is worse than in the US.

PHH is maybe the best ride in the world. I suggest doing it twice, as you can't do this ride anywhere else in the world. Same thing for Journey in Disney Sea. Ask for the front row (the view is better), they will let you sit in the front. Also, if you can manage to do this once at night, it's pretty great for the one moment you pop out into the open air.

There you have it.

Hi, Prometheus. I know that this question has been asked before in other threads, but I am wondering if there is a consistent policy at TDR regarding using Fastpasses after the "expiration" time. I know from experience that in WDW and Disneyland the cast memebers allow people in after the expiration time, but I have seen inconsistent answers to that question with respect to TDR. Any light that could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Resident of the Caldera

I have never returned within my FastPass window at either Tokyo Resort park and have never had a problem.

I don't recall seeing this mentioned above, but it is the most important part of the park strategy: make sure you are on line at the park gate 45 to 60 minutes BEFORE scheduled park opening. And when the gates open, RUN.

I would take exception to Prometheus's plan for Tokyo Disneyland: I've been more successful running in and getting into the standby line for Monster's Inc, waiting 20 minutes, and then immediately getting a FastPass for Pooh's Hunny Hunt after that. Immediately go to Splash Mountain--Tokyo's is by far the best in the world.

No need to do Buzz Lightyear or Philharmagic, because they are the same as in the US. If you had more time it would be fine, but with only two days, avoid them.

The Haunted Mansion always gets unusually long lines in Tokyo for reasons I don't understand (I love the ride)--this version is like Orlando's old version before all the upgrades, though it does have a few unique touches like the portrait whose face pushes out and the walking book in the library. Otherwise it's much like the versions in the US but it's much cleaner and easier to see everything in the graveyard at the end.

Pirates of the Carribbean is also much the same here, but missing the Captain's Quarters which appear in the original in Florida. However, the AA figures are better here and the ride really shines. You also are about six feet away from the Jack Sparrow figure at the end (he's on the right side here). There will be a big line for Pirates all day, but the line dwindles to nothing in the last few hours that park is open, so save it for the end of the day. Ditto for the Jungle Cruise.

Make sure that when the park gets really busy, you do Mark Twain, Tiki Room, Country Bear Vacation Jamboree, Swiss Family Treehouse, and the Wester River Railroad. These are the attractions that will have the shortest lines in the busiest part of the afternoon.

AT DisneySEA, exact same strategy: get there an hour before gates go up. Run straight for Journey to the Center of the Earth and get a FastPass. Immediately ride 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (because it's right next to it). Walk over to Tower of Terror and either ride it or get a FastPass if you can. If you've ridden it, then go straight to Indiana Jones and ride it. If the Single Rider Line is open at either Tower of Terror or Indiana Jones, USE IT. (Ditto for Splash Mountain--don't waste a FastPass if you don't need to get one.)

Stormrider and Aquatopia are both mildly disappointing rides--neither achieves greatness, but both are fun.

The Sindbad ride is great--there's rarely a line of more than a few minutes and it's a fantastic ride. It is always a favorite of Western visitors.

The Little Mermaid show is very good, as is Mystic Rhythms, but if you have time for only one, try the lottery for Big Band Beat. It doesn't hurt to try. The place where lottery tickets are given out is on the left side of Mediterranean Harbor, just next to the Gelato window. Ichigopara can give you the precise name, but just ask any cast member.

I wouldn't waste my time on One Man's Dream II--it's all lip-synched. Not a single live singer on the stage. It's a charmless show. Just my 2 cents.

Lunchtime in Tokyo Disneyland: since you have been up so early, you will be hungry for lunch early, so get on line at the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall between 10:30 and 11 am. You won't have to wait and the food is very good.

At DisneySEA, there's never a line at the Nautilus Galley on the lower level of Mysterious Island and they have great gyoza (Japanese dumplings) and turkey legs. Plus beer.

Good luck. It's hot and humid as hell, so wear light clothing, lots of sunscreen, and drink a lot of water.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Tokyo Disney Sea Cast

Quote Originally Posted by jjmanna View Post
    Hi, Prometheus. I know that this question has been asked before in other threads, but I am wondering if there is a consistent policy at TDR regarding using Fastpasses after the "expiration" time. I know from experience that in WDW and Disneyland the cast memebers allow people in after the expiration time, but I have seen inconsistent answers to that question with respect to TDR. Any light that could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.
    this is a huge NO.some cast members can let you in but we are very strict on the return times. I advise you to return within the time window.
    Tokyo Disneyland Crew!

Currently working at:: Journey to the Center of the Earth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast