Maihama to TDS via Disney Resort Line - check luggage at welcome center or Sheraton?

Hi Everyone,
    I'm planning to go from Shinjuku to TDR early on a Tuesday in December, and that day will also be my first of 4 days in the parks. It is not an option for me to spend Monday night at the resort, so that early morning train ride w/luggage is necessary.

SO, considering I want to be at TDS asap and I will have luggage in tow, I was planning to check my luggage at the Welcome Center and then take the Resort Line directly to TDS. I understand the Welcome Center will transfer my luggage to the hotel (Sheraton) for me.

HOWEVER, since Bayside Station is enroute from the Disney Gateway station to TDS station, should I just skip the welcome center and take my bags directly to the Sheraton (which I understand is across the street from Bayside Station)? Anybody have any experience w/how long it takes to check bags early am at the welcome center, or with an official hotel? Thanks!

P.S. I suppose I could go to the resort on Monday, drop off luggage, then go back to Shinjuku that night to sleep. But that sounds a little hectic.

P.P.S. FYI, I'm fairly familiar w/the resort. I've been twice but have always somehow managed to pinch pennies enough to afford stays at the Miracosta. That is not the case this trip, sadly.

Re: Maihama to TDS via Disney Resort Line - check luggage at welcome center or Sherat

Personally, I'd say just take it to the Sheraton. What's another 15 mins and that way you don't have to worry about what time the Welcome Center Opens up--a hotel is always open. Plus, the station is literally across the street from the Sheraton, and the next stop is TDS. I've never checked luggage prior to checking in, but they were very great when I checked out and left the bags for a later pick up. PS: I think you'll like the Sheraton. It's simple, but has a great location.

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: Maihama to TDS via Disney Resort Line - check luggage at welcome center or Sherat

I think if you get off the Resort Line with your luggage, walk to the hotel, check in, and then leave your luggage with the bell captain, walk back to Resort Line, you're talking about 30 to 40 minutes. I've never used the Welcome Center, but it's right there when you get off the JR line, and you literally have to pass by on your way to the Resort Line station in Ikspiari.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Thanks for the perspectives, both of you! It's hard to shake the feeling that every second counts. And somehow it seems that 4 days is never enough. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

We stayed at the Sheraton and dropped our luggage off at the Welcome Center because we wanted to buy tickets and head directly in to the parks. It was very quick (no line at 8am!), we got our room keys with the notice that they wouldn't be ready until after 3, I think, and our luggage was delivered directly to our room. I was very simple and I would recommend it.

GREAT info, Blondie! How traumatic was the early morning rush hour ride to Maihama? The welcome center was able to give you room keys for the Sheraton? That's amazingly efficient. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by TomGirl307 View Post
    GREAT info, Blondie! How traumatic was the early morning rush hour ride to Maihama? The welcome center was able to give you room keys for the Sheraton? That's amazingly efficient. Thanks so much!
    We stayed in a hotel in Tokyo that had a bus transfer to TDR, so we by-passed the morning train madness.

The Welcome Center is set up with the Disney Resort Official Hotels on the bottom floor. If I remember correctly, each hotel has it's own check-in counter, so you check in with your hotel, get your keys and buy park tickets, if needed. They will tag your luggage and deliver it straight to your room. I was a little nervous because we left our laptop bags with them (so we could straight into Disneyland) but everything worked out fine. It was really so easy, I would highly recommend it.

• Resident of the Caldera

There's very little crime in Japan, so it's perfectly safe to leave your laptop and similar belongings in your checked baggage.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Oh I wasn't worried about theft at all; I was frequently amazed how people would leave their things and no one would touch it. I was more concerened of it getting dropped or jostled in the transition. I am used to American baggage handlers after all.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Thank you to the OP and everyone who replied to this thread! I'll be doing something similar in just 4 weeks: transferring from a Tokyo hotel to the Sheraton in the morning and was wondering about my options for storing my luggage while I go into the park. This is all very helpful as I didn't even know about the Welcome Center. That sounds like the best solution and very straightforward. I'm getting really excited for my trip now!