Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

• Creative Director

Re: Tokyo Disney Resort 30th Anniversary 'The Happiness Year' 4/15/2013 through 3/20/

Yes, I believe Jody Daily and Kevin Kidney did design the look of the parade. (Same as Soundsational).
    It definitely reflects their love of nostalgia, early 20th century Disney toys, and their signature 2-d flat, illustrative whimsical aesthetic.

Steven Davison's facebook page has a little info on who worked on it.

As for re-using parade elements from before, why not? If it works, it works.

And as for Marie, I don't know if they're exactly trying to 'make her hello kitty'. They have a great cat character (3 here to be exact)...why not use them? Yes, the Japanese love the character, but I believe that also reflects certain Asian cultural attractions/meanings to cats.
    Plus, in this parade, she's actually represented alongside her two brothers. Having all three the Aristocats is great (and nice to see they developed full costumes for them all...perhaps they'll get to show up in other parks and parades).

As for the parade, I just think Steven, and certainly Jody and Kevin, made an effort to bring out some rarer characters/films. And it's great!!!

Re: Tokyo Disney Resort 30th Anniversary 'The Happiness Year' 4/15/2013 through 3/20/

Okay, this may be a silly point, but with the last big float, the one with all the "balloons" the first thing I thought was "So, are they bringing balloons back to the park? Or is there still a helium shortage?" Anybody?

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
    Okay, this may be a silly point, but with the last big float, the one with all the "balloons" the first thing I thought was "So, are they bringing balloons back to the park? Or is there still a helium shortage?" Anybody?
    Nope. There's still a helium shortage. Seems like there will be no balloons for years, maybe forever. Are they still selling balloons in other Disney parks? Such a shame. Kinda deflates the whole theme.

• A Suitcase & A Dream

I'm having mixed feelings on the parade, the floats are really nice as would be expected but I'm not sure they flow together, some have a musical theme that looks like it was designed for Soundsational and having the different elements of Soundsational, Flights of Fantasy, and Pixar Play Parade seems a bit lazy. I think I was just expecting balloons to play a bigger roll in the float designs not just the finale float.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Nope. There's still a helium shortage. Seems like there will be no balloons for years, maybe forever. Are they still selling balloons in other Disney parks? Such a shame. Kinda deflates the whole theme.
    I know, right? I remember seeing the theme early on, which is cute, but it just makes me think "Geez, great, remind me of something that you used to have, but I can no longer get!" I remember specifically it being a end-of-the-day kind of treat to let the girls pick out a balloon on our walk down back Main Street as we were leaving. It was a way to take the magic with us!

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by imagineerthat View Post
    I'm having mixed feelings on the parade, the floats are really nice as would be expected but I'm not sure they flow together, some have a musical theme that looks like it was designed for Soundsational and having the different elements of Soundsational, Flights of Fantasy, and Pixar Play Parade seems a bit lazy. I think I was just expecting balloons to play a bigger roll in the float designs not just the finale float.
    I disagree that re-using elements from previous parades "seems a bit lazy". Nothing lazy about it at all. Why re-create the wheel for every production, especially when Steven's team has multiple parade productions in development all the time. If a show element works, and it naturally fits the concept...why not re-use/re-dress it? It's not like they just threw it in there...it fits the overall concept of this particular production.
    If there's overlap with Soundsational, it's probably because Jody and Kevin designed both...and they have a very distinct style which both parades reflect.

And I think the concept is meant to be a little looser than say Jubilation!...which was one basic long scenic parade that "went with the flow".
    Happiness seems to be centered more around various elements of whimsy and childhood - carousel horses, balloons, toys, etc.

Did HIH show on the 9th? I think I saw on twitter that is was going to be windy on the 9th. (it was a translation so who knows) Just wondering if HIH has any more weather rules than J! did.

• Loves Mickey!

You are right it did not show yesterday because of the wind. The last float in the parade is huge so I was wondering the same thing but it's hard to say. The wind suddenly picked up and was very strong about 20 minutes before the parade so I think if Jubi! were still running it would have been cancelled too. I will go today to try again!!
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

• Resident of the Caldera

I broke the news here last summer that Kevin and Jody were doing the parade.

Dreamsweatslove: are they running the parade daily now unless there's "weather" of some kind?
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Loves Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    I broke the news here last summer that Kevin and Jody were doing the parade.

Dreamsweatslove: are they running the parade daily now unless there's "weather" of some kind?
    Not daily, I think either today or tomorrow should be the last day for sneak. There is a rumor about a different preview though that may happen very soon..

• Resident of the Caldera

Rats! I'll miss the rest of the sneak. Thanks for the info and see you on the 15th.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Loves Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Rats! I'll miss the rest of the sneak. Thanks for the info and see you on the 15th.
    See you on the 15th!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamSweetsLove View Post
    Not daily, I think either today or tomorrow should be the last day for sneak. There is a rumor about a different preview though that may happen very soon..
    For HIH?, The Other 30th events ??? or a Surprise????????

Quote Originally Posted by DreamSweetsLove View Post
    You are right it did not show yesterday because of the wind. The last float in the parade is huge so I was wondering the same thing but it's hard to say. The wind suddenly picked up and was very strong about 20 minutes before the parade so I think if Jubi! were still running it would have been cancelled too. I will go today to try again!!
    Oh good! I was hoping HIH wouldn't be a more difficult parade to perform in weather!

DeepDisney has merchandise pics up with some things we hadn't seen previewed yet - lots of nice looking items! Have fun all of you that are there or will be there shortly!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast