Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Re: TDR Christmas 2012 First Hand Observations

I hope we are surprised by what they have to offer. I will also be there opening day of the 30th.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Even if Tokyo Disneyland's 30th anniversary celebration disappoints, it'll still be MORE than what Disney World has offered us for their 30th, 35th and 40th anniversaries. Plus, as disappointing as the holiday shows may be, there are more new shows (greetings) at Disney Sea this year, which I can't say for Disney World's decades old holiday offerings in 2012.

However, I am not making excuses for Tokyo Disney, as they probably can and should do better since they are at a higher plateau when compared to the other Disney resorts.

• Shubisha

So I have a few issues with Santa's Village Parade this year, none of which is so much to make it a bad parade or anything.. just things like I think the new underliner overpowers the floats too much, the new and old styles match notewise but i don't think the orchestrations match well enough and wish they would've reworked the music in the portions from last year a bit....yadda.

But more importantly... Can other people confirm that the Three Little Pigs float is playing "Three Blind Mice" as their individual float music portion? Is that considered a Christmas song by anyone? Am I mistaking it for another song?:P

• Shubisha

Ok was mistaken when I heard 3 blind mice.. was actually Frere Jacque.. I still wondered what that has to do with Christmas but...

Where Is Santa?
    There is a Christmas song that is sung to the tune of Frère Jacques:

Where is Santa? Where is Santa?
    Here I am. Here I am.
    Merry, merry Christmas. Merry, merry Christmas.
    Ho, Ho, Ho. Ho, Ho, Ho.

• I'm a Lutheran

If the economy is as bad as it sounds, perhaps the proposed addition of Cars Land is a solution to bring in more guests. If it did so for California Adventure, it can do so for Tokyo, regardless of Tokyo's position as the third most visited theme park in the world with 13,966,000 visitors this year alone, followed by DisneySea in fourth place with 11,930,000. That's quite a lot. Statistics from August show that DCA only reeled in 6,341,000 visitors up to that point. I'm sure that'll be a much higher number by the end of the year.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    If the economy is as bad as it sounds, perhaps the proposed addition of Cars Land is a solution to bring in more guests. If it did so for California Adventure, it can do so for Tokyo, regardless of Tokyo's position as the third most visited theme park in the world with 13,966,000 visitors this year alone, followed by DisneySea in fourth place with 11,930,000. That's quite a lot. Statistics from August show that DCA only reeled in 6,341,000 visitors up to that point. I'm sure that'll be a much higher number by the end of the year.
    The issue isn't bringing in guests. DCA was a completely different problem. DCA needed more to bring more guests. TDR would have had record high attendance had they been open 1 or 2 additional days (meaning had the disaster not struck, they would have seen significant increase).

The fact that Carsland fixed DCA's problems does not mean that it will fix TDR's problems.

First and foremost, DCA needed to bring in more guests. TDR needs more capacity, which is something very different. Carsland was supposed to bring in more people then the land itself can actually hold. Theoretically, the new TDR attraction should (in the long run) not necessarily increase the total daily guests count besides its own capacity.

Secondly, DCA needed something full proof. At $1.1 billion, they could not afford something that might just do okay. Not to say that TDR should add something lesser, but there are many more interesting and unique concepts that could have been done but were simply too "risky" for TWC's shareholders.

Finally, Carsland was successful because it was unique and significantly better than everything else in the park. This would not be the case for TDR. RSR would be an inferior Journey to the Center of the Earth, and the land itself will not be any higher quality (probably lower) than the entire park of DisneySEA.

I do see TDR adding soemthing big, but I think Carsland would be an even bigger mistake.

• Resident of the Caldera

I would not say that Radiator Springs Racers is inferior to Journey to the Center of the Earth--it's the first thing WDI has built in the USA since Soarin or Toy Story Mania that really wows people, and it's better than either one of them. I think RSR is the equal of any high-level ride at any Disney park. To me, it's that good.

Most folks would never look at Radiator Springs Racers and Journey and think that the two are remotely related--it's not an obvious link like the one with Test Track.

The Japanese love the American west--they would love Cars Land, too. The line for Radiator Springs Racers would be 200 minutes every day. Luigi's would have a 150 minute line, and Mater's a 90 minute line. It would be incredibly popular. I just don't want to see it where the Rivers of America is. There are certain things that should not be touched by progress in a Disney Magic Kingdom style park, and the Rivers of America is one of them.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12