Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Just another Disney fan..

TDR Christmas 2012 First Hand Observations

Since I'm at TDR for the past week I thought I'd give a first hand opinion on this year's offerings as opposed to the Internet picture and video based opinions posted thus far.

Tokyo Disneyland has a modest and for the most part repeat of last year's Christmas offerings. The center hub display is new but the other hub displays are nearly identical to last year. Other decorations are very sparse.

Good to see Its a Small World Holiday return after a one year hiatus. Haunted Mansion Nightmare makeover and Country Bear Jingling Jamboree are also being offered this year.

Mickey's Santa's Village Parade is nearly identical to last year's version as is the
    Dreamlights Christmas version parade.

The castle light and projection show also is back but isn't anything that spectacular.

TDL Christmas merchandise has be slightly refreshed bringing in Donald and Daisy gingerbread characters. Mickey and Minnie snowmice and gingerbread character from before are still in use.

Over at DisneySea, the modest offerings spill over from TDL.

Decorations this year are sparse. Some of the seven port's Christmas trees are being reused.

Lido Isle Christmas greeting show is cute but very simple. The large scale nighttime lagoon show "Colors of Christmas" is in person very pretty and technically well done. However the lack of any real story and simplicity has it falling short of expectations usually associated with TDR.

Big Band Beat Christmas version is back offering the same show as past years.

The most interesting Christmas offering at TDS this year is the new Christmas version of "Table is Waiting-Christmas Cuisine". The addition of a Christmas meal at the end is cute and the Japanese Guests love the new costumes.

There is also the typical Christmas merchandise but nothing that stands out.

Overall a very modest offering thus raising hopes that the 30th anniversary offerings will be spectacular. We will have to wait to see if this comes true.

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: TDR Christmas 2012 First Hand Observations

Thanks for the update!
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Since I'm at TDR for the past week I thought I'd give a first hand opinion on this year's offerings as opposed to the Internet picture and video based opinions posted thus far.
    Thanks for the first hand views. Although you've just confirmed what we already know by viewing the online pictures and videos. The Tokyo Disney Resort annual Christmas Event is a huge let down!

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Thanks for the first hand views. Although you've just confirmed what we already know by viewing the online pictures and videos. The Tokyo Disney Resort annual Christmas Event is a huge let down!
    I would say mild let down. It would have to be a lot worse for me to say huge.

TDR is still the best Disney resort in the world, hands down. Even when the high expectations we all have of TDR are not met, it is still head and shoulders better than what the other resorts have to offer.

Roger, can you confirm that there are no balloons being sold in the parks since yesterday?

Went ahead and responded in the discussion thread specifically about the balloons.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post

Can always count on you for the dramatic posts!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Banned User

If criticising the Resort for its lack of an effort to this years Christmas Event makes me dramatic so be... I'd much rather tell it like it is then make excuses up for them. I attended last years event and had great memories. Much of this has returned this year including the wonderful Santa Village Parade. Unfortunately most of the decorations and other seasonal offerings remain the same despite a great year for them attendance wise. The Christmas Wishes show at DisneySea has been replaced by a show many people find very underwhelming. For anyone that cares and enjoys the Resort's offerings we should be very concerned by this and the recent Halloween event and hope we will get something special next year during the Resorts 30th Anniversary. These small signs of decline is exactly why WDW is where it's at today.

The sky is falling

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
    The sky is falling
    Lol!

i will agree that the trend for just the last two events was disappointing, I am not going to overreact and start bad mouthing TDR and making overly dramatic decisions like canceling trips based on this apparent trend

Christmas and Halloween are disappointing, but Natsu Matsuri and Spring Voyage were huge NEW hits. People are quick to forget that these two new things were introduced this year.

And even though Christmas is disappointing, what other park in the world would introduce a brand new show the scale of Color of Christmas? Yeah, it doesn't meet expectations for TDR... but it still blows away most "new" offerings at the US parks as far as holiday seasonal entertainment goes.

While I agree that some of the responses are overly dramatic, I can just chalk that up to personal opinion and high praise of the expectation level that has been set by TDR.

Thank you Roger, for always being the voice of reason around these parts :-)

Roger55, I just read this post and I have to say I agree with you completely. I was at Tokyo Disneyland today and was seriously underwhelmed by the Christmas decorations (or lack thereof). And I thought the new Christmas-themed Country Bear Jamboree was just awful, though I'm not a fan of the original CBJ either.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
    The sky is falling
    LOL!! Really!! Have these posters been to the Magic Kingdom's Very Merry Christmas lately? Does not matter I guess because if they did the pricey (pay for) Christmas party.. say... 6 years ago, they would be seeing pretty much the same exact thing the did back then.

Really folks, I suppose the reason for the disappointment is because we all know the good people running Tokyo Disney Resort are probably capable of doing much better, but they too have been subjected to many problems..such as declining economy and natural disasters.

For what I have seen in pictures, the quality of the decorations seem quite elaborate and impressive. They are offering a daytime Christmas parade, In addition to the regular one, plus a night time holiday version of what is already the best electrical parade of any park, which included 4 new floats re-done for the holidays this year. Country Bears perform a holiday show, and "It's a Small World" and Haunted Mansion have both been re-done with Christmas overlays. The Castle Christmas interlude is simple but enjoyable and so are the Holiday fireworks (even if in a smaller scale). Compare all of that with what the Magic Kingdom park in Florida is doing at a premium hard ticket price and what they are offering, and it's quite clear that the japanese are getting a much better entertainment package at REGULAR day passport prices.

Those of you who are lucky to go should enjoy this for what it is as opposed to complain about it's shortcomings, even if some of it is familiar. Even "dramatic" poster Malin has stated on another topic here that the "Celebrate the season" show at the Magic Kingdom (a disappointing, minimal offering compared to previous years' holiday shows at the Castle stage)is "worth repeating" year after year. end quote. I'm sure that given the chance, poster Malin would totally go to Tokyo Disney Resort if s/he had the chance, regardless of their offerings. So would I in fact.

Over at Tokyo Disney Sea, they offer new lagoon greetings in the daytime and night time, and special holiday tags for "Big Band Beat" and "Table is Waiting"... While Disney World's secondary parks offer the exact same entertainment they have offered for over ten years, and people eat it up under the excuse of "tradition".

Sorry but I don't understand the criticism towards Tokyo Disney Resort, when clearly other Disney parks in the USA continue to give us the same stuff for over a decade. Criticize where it's due and not where we actually visit. This is the reason why we decided not to visit Disney World this holiday season, as the place is not worth spending money to visit to see the same stuff from 10 years ago. But would go to Tokyo in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

• Banned User

You can look at my post as dramatic and mock and be naive towards them but it doesn't change the fact the recent trend hasn't been good. Some of you might be happy to get new Character meet & greet shows each season like the newer Spring, Halloween and Christmas events. But I'd much prefer a different presentation like the standards of Christmas Wishes or Mysterious masquerade. Again it's all down to preference and how much your willing to defend them no matter what's put in front of you to watch. In my post I have also taken into account how in the last year not only has attendance been good by statements released by the OLC but ticket prices were raised quite a lot. The next year is the 30th and I have no doubt Tokyo Disneyland will get a lot of new entertainment. The new Parade for instance sounds like great fun. But where DisneySea fits in with the plans, I'm un sure about right now. And so is TDS going to become the Forgotten Park?

For myself I'm giving next year a miss. The crowds are always worst during an Anniversary Year and by sitting it out I can plan what out of the new entertainment is going to be worth seeing the following year. While I'd be happy to watch Celebrate the Season any day of the week over Colours of Christmas. I also don't believe in comparing WDW to TDR. The Tokyo Disney Resort should be compared only to its own previous high standards. And unfortunately that's what's lacking this year... Although for the record it seems to be DisneySea suffering the most here.
    Last edited by Malin; 11-24-2012 at 09:32 AM.

I was watching the 25th Anniversary of TDL blu-ray last night and during the Halloween segment was startled to see how much more extensive the Halloween decorations were throughout Fantasyland than they were this year.

Combined with Roger's report on the Christmas events, it's pretty plain that they're cutting back for economic reasons. We know it's not because of poor attendance, but there are many other possible reasons. I'll be there on opening day of the 30th anniversary celebrations and am curious what the offerings will be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast