Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Resident of the Caldera

No More Balloons at The Tokyo Disney Resort!

A friend of mine in Tokyo just relayed the news to me that the Tokyo Disney Resort ceased all sales of balloons yesterday due, they claimed, to a shortage of helium. They did this in the middle of the Christmas seasonal event. Crazy.

There will no longer be any balloons sold at the Tokyo Disney Resort.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Just another Disney fan..

Re: No More Balloons at The Tokyo Disney Resort!

Can't confirm. My last day was Friday and there were still balloons.

Hope the stopage is temporary. The new Christmas balloon is very nice.

Helium is the second most abundant element in the universe. Hard to see how there could be a shortage.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    Helium is the second most abundant element in the universe. Hard to see how there could be a shortage.
    It's one of the rarest elements on earth. In the universe it's common because that is what a part of stars the huge things in the sky are made of.

It's strategically important and produced in a handful of places that have large natural gas deposits. Using it to fill novelty balloons can be considered very wasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    It's one of the rarest elements on earth. In the universe it's common because that is what a part of stars the huge things in the sky are made of.
    How unfortunate! I thought it could be produced like Hydrogen. I just read it can only be produced using radioactive processes and the most common method of obtaining helium is from the process of harvesting natural gas.

I can see why using it in balloons can be seen as wasteful. I wonder why there wasn't a more orderly discontinuation of its use? Also wonder if the US parks will follow suit?

I'm going to miss the balloons and all the joy they brought to people, especially kids.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

My friend who works for a sector of the government that deals with helium freaks out when he see's balloons at Disney. Most people are unaware of the helium situation. Though isn't it ironic that the 30th Anniversary is focusing on balloons?

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Under that tree again!

I can see why using it in balloons can be seen as wasteful. I wonder why there wasn't a more orderly discontinuation of its use? Also wonder if the US parks will follow suit?
    It not impossible but I doubt it would happen in the US. While Japan imports natural gas, the US has a huge supply of it and exports it. Thus with the surplus it's less likely to be limited in the US.

I was at Tokyo Disneyland today and.... no balloons. Wow. :-O

That stinks.
    For the love of Disney....

Good to see that TDR is concerned about our future. I could see an alternative to Helium balloons in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    I could see an alternative to Helium balloons in the near future.
    Do you mean an alternative to balloons, or an alternative to helium balloons? Because if it's the latter, the only other choice would be hydrogen, and that wouldn't end well (although it would make a visit to the smoking areas more exciting...).

Wow, that is sad. I have always loved balloons and will certainly miss the beautiful designs at the Tokyo Disney resort. What a shame there isn't a more environmentally friendly (and safe!) alternative readily available. Perhaps there will be a discovery someday!
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

My guess is that it is more economics as opposed to wanting to be earth friendly. If there was an earth friendly reason, I would think the transition would have been more orchestrated and pre-announced. The abruptness of the decision to stop sales leads me to believe it was not anticipated or decided upon for anything other than financial reasons.

As far as a alternative goes, it is governed by the laws of physics and chemical elements. There aren't any practical/safer "lighter than air" gases to be discovered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighter_than_air

This is just my guess and speculation, but I'm thinking that they will go to balloons on a stick. Not quite the charm as a floating balloon, but certainly a way to continue to design and sell inflatable merchandise.
    Last edited by Roger55; 11-23-2012 at 08:05 PM.

My guess is that it is more economics as opposed to wanting to be earth friendly. If there was an earth friendly reason, I would think the transition would have been more orchestrated and pre-announced. The abruptness of the decision to stop sales leads me to believe it was not anticipated or decided upon for anything other than financial reasons.
    Really? Have you any idea how much they charge for a balloon at Tokyo Disney Resort? If financial reasons were a concern, I'd think raising prices would take care of that, even if for the short term. But who knows? This is just me speculating.

On the other hand, I am shocked at this decision since balloons make the parks so much more festive. I saw a photo of the holiday balloon on a japanese blog and it seemed quite elaborate and lovely. That's a pity.

Secretly, I wish they did the same in the US parks, as my kids love the balloons and my husband and I end up spending (wasting?) too much money away on those when we have visited.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by jsilvers View Post
    Do you mean an alternative to balloons, or an alternative to helium balloons? Because if it's the latter, the only other choice would be hydrogen, and that wouldn't end well (although it would make a visit to the smoking areas more exciting...).
    There are places where they've gone with that alternative. And it hasn't always ended well.

Exploding hydrogen balloons at Armenian political rally injure many | The Raw Story
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Resident of the Caldera

Uh ... wasn't the Hindenburg filled with hydrogen?
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast