Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Al Lutz: Cars Land in Tokyo

I never been to Toyko Disney and only saw an aerial view for the first time because of this. What are the buildings behind RoA?
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    I could post it if anyone would like.
    I'd be interested.

Some good news for those of us not a fan of this rumor. Leemac from LP.com states quite confidently on that board that there is no truth the rumor, that Carsland will definitely not replace the Rivers, and that OLC execs routinely visit DL/Glendale/WDI and would naturally be shown the local highlights. So here we have two members of cognoscenti (Al & Lee) at odds. Will be interesting to see who is right... I'm hoping it's Lee.

Here's a rough layout of best case scenario for the project:

In this version, I tried to keep the front portion of the ROA to keep the sense of space. The Island could be accessed via a bridge, or the river could just not connect in back making it just a peninsula. The show building isn't as large as the current RSR; this version assumes liberties could be made (eg a multi level show building). Additionally, there's only room for a couple buildings, which is desirable for me since I view the RSR outdoor town as redundant with the indoor version. This version also places RSR as an addition to Westernland, not as apart of a new land.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that from what I've read, the Mark Twain river boat is very popular with Japanese guests and has a long line. These are just reports, but I've read that Riverboats represent America to Japanese guests. Take that for what it's worth. If OLC truly wanted to boost the River's capacity, they could add another river boat to double capacity, and add a couple Keel boats as well. Tomorrowland Speedway is a far bigger waste of space. Additionally, not only does the main part of Frontierland rely on the ROA as a relief point, but the railroad, Splash Mountain, and Thunder Mountain all interact with it as well.

To reiterate, I don't believe this rumor has much truth to it.

I would hate having to give up the Rivers of America, but knowing how well received Carsland is in CA Adventures park, this would be a great addition to what already is one of the best Disneyland parks in the World. It would probably make Tokyo Disneyland even more awesome.

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    The area of the parking lot I circled did not "turn to mush" during the earthquake. And it's a matter of land compression, which could be accomplished.
    These are picture I took myself around one month after the earthquake. Isn't this the lot you are refering to?

These were taken April 18, 2011. As you can see, there has already been extensive work done to re-level the area in preparation for re-surfacing.

And it isn't just as simple as compressing the area in order to protect against liquifaction. Especially when we are talking about re-claimed land.

Look at this link to see what extensive measures are required to improve soil against liquifaction.

http://www.ce.washington.edu/~liquef...provement.html
    Last edited by Roger55; 11-28-2012 at 12:37 AM.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    I'd be interested.

Some good news for those of us not a fan of this rumor. Leemac from LP.com states quite confidently on that board that there is no truth the rumor, that Carsland will definitely not replace the Rivers, and that OLC execs routinely visit DL/Glendale/WDI and would naturally be shown the local highlights. So here we have two members of cognoscenti (Al & Lee) at odds. Will be interesting to see who is right... I'm hoping it's Lee.
    Thank God! Well OLC was also at WDW a couple months ago, this is not a rare thing. They tend to visit at least once a year.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Was the reception for Cars all that big in Japan?

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
    horrible idea!
    I agree
    I want to see something better in TDR. Japan already has the best Disney ride ever... Journey. Why on earth should they ruin that part of the park for something as lame as Cars...
    Good that it was just a rumour and nothing else.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

Al has recently posted a lot of rumors. Possibly to spark interest or maybe he has got some great sources. But up to now not heard anything else on the removal of the Subs or Autopia. The Marvel Park for Anaheim looks like its not happening anytime soon if Al's other rumor of an Iron Man attraction is green lighted for Tomorrowland.

In regards to the parking lots. These areas could be made stronger and I'm confident when building recent areas like the theatre and Hotels that extensive work was carried out to prevent Liquefaction. So the same practices would be carried out on these parking lots if ever used for park expansion.

it should also be noted OLC visit all the Parks frequently and were even in Paris earlier this year looking at its Parade. Although this did start rumors that Tokyo Disneyland would be the next park to get Dreams.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I don't mind the addition of Cars Land so much, but yes, the removal of the Rivers of America would cause all kinds of logistical issues. Al mentions that the Western River Railroad would still travel it's course, but how? I mean it goes along the river, and in front of Splash Mountain. How would it incorporate into Cars Land, since it basically circles the entire Rivers of America now? Poor Splash Mountain would have to compete with the Cadillac Range and probably look out of scale in relation. What about Critter Country as a whole? It really blends well with Westernland and is the best of the two CC's so far. That would have to change if it was right next to Cars Land.

I don't disagree that the entire area is low capacity, but it sure does add to the ambience, and also a place to get away from the crowds. With Cars Land, that will remove a significant water feature, as well as places to escape crowds.

I've not been to cars land but I wasn't a big fan of the movie.

I wouldn't like it to replace western land & if they did add it in then replacing the speedway would be a better place although I'd love a moon buggy update or similar.

If western land needs more capacity I'd like to see something new. Maybe the island could be replaced by western river adventure or geyser mountain

• Resident of the Caldera

The Mark Twain Riverboat rarely has a wait. It does get pretty full, but rarely are there more people than can fit on the next boat.

It adds so much to the park, it would be unforgivable if it were to be removed, particularly when there is ample space in the back parking lot to accomodate lots of expansion. Getting rid of their version of Autopia (which lost half its track when Toontown was built) would make the most sense, and also open the land right into the parking lot area for construction.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Minion

I hope Al is wrong, though he often isn't. If this rumor was realized then it would turn Westernland into a Hong Kong style "miniland." Rivers of America may be underutilized but there are so many great things they could do with that area... Western River Expedition concept for the Magic Kingdom and Tony Baxter's Discoveryland concept of Disneyland's own Rivers of America are just two of many that come to mind.

For me the the biggest waste of Real Estate is Autopia. And while some may disagree I think Toon Town is not that great a use of space either. Using these two areas and / or expanding beyond the berm into the parking area Fukai suggested seem the best options IMO.

If CarsLand did make it to TDR, I think it would be a shame if it was just a clone of the one at DCA. On the other hand it might be cool to have a RSR-type ride inspired by the "Tokyo" segment of the second Cars movie.

One final comment...I do not really think it a problem having two Test Track style rides in one resort. RSR would be sufficiently different from JTTCOTE for that not to be an issue. After all, aren't there quite a few roller coaster rides in any given "magic kingdom" park using basically the same technology?
    Down with the Hat

It would be very interesting to see how it would fit in Frontierland. OLC is only interested in making attractions bigger and better than anywhere else. I would love to see them pull it off. We have Rivers of America at every park. The only one they shouldn't take away is the one at Disneyland because its used in so many ways.

• Minion

I think it unfortunate that OLC is now seemingly moving towards importing clones of existing attractions. Near the beginning of the past decade, TDR distinguished itself by funding lavish attractions that were either unique or substantially unique. While OLC continues to be generous with funding, often resulting in superior queues / show buildings - in terms of the actual attractions themselves, the movement in recent years has been towards clones. DLR seems to be once again taking the helm in terms of innovation.
    Down with the Hat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast