Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: Al Lutz: Cars Land in Tokyo

It would be hard to monkey with the concept of Cars Land and still have it work in the way it does at DCA. The total recreation of a town and the majesty of the rock cliffs creates a level of immersion that doesn't exist anywhere else but at DisneySEA. I hear the new Fantasy Forest in Orlando is going for the same type of immersion. This represents a change for the Walt Disney Company.

That may be one reason why, if the rumors are true, it appeals to the OLC. Total immersion in an alien environment. Except for Luigi's, the rides are great. And if OLC built Luigi's, the ride vehicles will have been completely redesigned. I think we'd see a surface area at least twice as large as the one in Anaheim, and single-person ride vehicles so they're much more buoyant.

As far as cloning goes, the amount of people who go to Tokyo Disneyland and also to a park in the US is a pretty small number, not something OLC is concerned about (or they wouldn't be cloning Star Wars 3D or Toy Story Mania). In fact, cloning within the US doesn't seem to bother most people: usually folks go to either Orlando or Anaheim, but the number of people who regularly visit both resorts is not enormous.
    Last edited by Fukai; 11-29-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Though I'm not necessarily attempting to justify this proposal, I will say one huge disadvantage the Tokyo Disneyland Rivers of America has going against it--and arguably a big reason for its lack of popularity with the locals--is that it is awkwardly tucked up into a corner well away from view of any of the main paths of the park. It's a little like Critter Country in DLR without the Splash Mountain 'weenie' drawing people into the land.

Sure, TDL has Splash Mountain as well, and I believe it is part of the area, but its also set apart by path from the ROA. So much so that the only place you can see it from is the rides outside standby line and ride exit.

Contrast that with DLR and WDW MK where you walk fully around the front quarter of the river to get to and from big name attractions like Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain and Splash.

As much love as TDL gets, and I do think its a great park ride-wise, the layout was awkwardly designed.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    In fact, cloning within the US doesn't seem to bother most people: usually folks go to either Orlando or Anaheim, but the number of people who regularly visit both resorts is not enormous.
    Most people, that is, except for most Disney fans, who seem to be opposed to any kind of cloning, since, to them, it robs them of any uniqueness. Not that I'm like that.

As for Cars Land taking over the Rivers of America, I can't help but wonder: if that was to happen, where would that river after the big drop on Splash Mountain go if there's no Rivers of America to flow through partially?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

If this rumor is true I think WDI could integrate this new land into that area beautifully.

the main Route 66 road for Carsland would most likely be built the same but the RSR attraction could easily be adjusted to fit the land. By mirroring the layout. RSR has a portion that includes waterfalls and green pines. This area could easily be used as a perfect transitional point of the existing Splash mountain area and parts of the river could still stay.
    monument valley also had a set of train racks that ran through the area so even the railroad could be integrated into this new recreation of Carsland and the mountain range could easily be an extension of the existing splash mountain area.

the land seems to be large enough to add Carsland and still have a nice buffer zone that would have plenty of green area for quiet spots

• Disneyland fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    This SUCKS. Losing one of the beautiful and tranquil areas of the park, one that genuinely reflects Walt Disney's ideas of what should be included in his parks, is a disaster. A complete and utter disaster.

And it doesn't have to be this way, since that area of the park is not the only land available by any means. I will refer again (for the tenth time) to that entire rear area of the parking lot that backs up onto both parks and is used only on the busiest of days. It is empty land most days of the year and you could easily build an entrance into Cars Land through the backside of the park.

I hated the movie Cars--it's stupid, but I love Cars Land. It obviously can't be shoehorned into DisneySEA, but it would be great to see it in Tokyo Disneyland, which needs a large area that sucks up a lot of people. The park is becoming impossible to negotiate on many days. But I don't want to see it replace the Rivers of America!

Here's the area I'm talking about for expansion.

Yes, I completely agree, I wrote this a couple weeks ago when the news first broke on MiceChat. You can even move the Cars Land expansion into the parking lot over a bit, closer to Space Mountain. Take out the extreemly outdated and low capacity Tomorrowland Speedway, make that the entrance to Cars Land, with the rest of the land, including the ride building behind the mountains, on the parking lot area behind Tomorrowland Speedway.
    Gullywhumper is back on the Rivers of America!

• Disneyland fan!

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    Here's a rough layout of best case scenario for the project:

In this version, I tried to keep the front portion of the ROA to keep the sense of space. The Island could be accessed via a bridge, or the river could just not connect in back making it just a peninsula. The show building isn't as large as the current RSR; this version assumes liberties could be made (eg a multi level show building). Additionally, there's only room for a couple buildings, which is desirable for me since I view the RSR outdoor town as redundant with the indoor version. This version also places RSR as an addition to Westernland, not as apart of a new land.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that from what I've read, the Mark Twain river boat is very popular with Japanese guests and has a long line. These are just reports, but I've read that Riverboats represent America to Japanese guests. Take that for what it's worth. If OLC truly wanted to boost the River's capacity, they could add another river boat to double capacity, and add a couple Keel boats as well. Tomorrowland Speedway is a far bigger waste of space. Additionally, not only does the main part of Frontierland rely on the ROA as a relief point, but the railroad, Splash Mountain, and Thunder Mountain all interact with it as well.

To reiterate, I don't believe this rumor has much truth to it.

This area highlighted above, for Cars Land can be used for Discovery Bay, keeping the Mark Twain, traveling half the route it did before. I really like the idea of adding Discovery Bay to the back of the Rivers of America in Tokyo Disneyland. There are a number of interesting attractions that can be used in the Discovery Bay idea. Of course, they would have to change the name to "Frontier Bay" or something like that, since there's a Discovery Harbor in Tokyo Disney Sea.

Cars land can be added to the former Autopia Site, with the land spilling out into the parking lot behind. Then, with the crowds focused on the Tomorrowland, Cars Land, Toontown side of the park, you can start construction on "Frontier Bay" in the back half of the Rivers of America. Cars Land, with it's contemporary theme, doesn't belong next to Frontierland. It would fit better between Toontown and Tomorrowland.
    Gullywhumper is back on the Rivers of America!

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by Gullywhumper View Post
    This area highlighted above, for Cars Land can be used for Discovery Bay, keeping the Mark Twain, traveling half the route it did before. I really like the idea of adding Discovery Bay to the back of the Rivers of America in Tokyo Disneyland. There are a number of interesting attractions that can be used in the Discovery Bay idea. Of course, they would have to change the name to "Frontier Bay" or something like that, since there's a Discovery Harbor in Tokyo Disney Sea.

Cars land can be added to the former Autopia Site, with the land spilling out into the parking lot behind. Then, with the crowds focused on the Tomorrowland, Cars Land, Toontown side of the park, you can start construction on "Frontier Bay" in the back half of the Rivers of America. Cars Land, with it's contemporary theme, doesn't belong next to Frontierland. It would fit better between Toontown and Tomorrowland.
    Moving Carsland to the Autopia side would not make sense unless they changed the entire theme of the land/attraction to be World Grand Prix and even then its not really tommorowland. Putting Carsland behind westernland near the Rivers of america at least allows for some semblance of a western theme.

• curiouser and curiouser

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    Moving Carsland to the Autopia side would not make sense unless they changed the entire theme of the land/attraction to be World Grand Prix and even then its not really tommorowland. Putting Carsland behind westernland near the Rivers of america at least allows for some semblance of a western theme.
    To be clear: I am completely against replacing ROA with Carsland, but if it is to go anywhere it makes the most sense to stick it in Westernland.
    But at the same time, just because Cars takes place in a similar type of landscape doesn't mean that it has anything else in common with the overall theme that is represented in Westernland.

Frontier/Westernland is distinctly themed to a period around the turn of the (previous) century, as is Critter Country in it's own way, and I don't see how the modern elements of Carsland are going to work at all in that area of the park, and I fear that, if built, it will create an even greater sense of ambiguity in a park that already lacks the cohesion of it's American counterparts in terms of an organic flow of theme and story.

If they must have a Carsland then one idea could be to re-theme it to the more urban setting of Cars 2 and put it in the area that Autopia (Grand Circuit Raceway) currently houses.
    As another poster pointed out, there's no justification for two car-themed attractions, and if you ask me, the Autopia is an eyesore of a ride that generally doesn't attract anyone over the age of 12 and it should have been scrapped years ago!

• Just another Disney fan..

Just something for all of you over analyzing the theming and placement of Cars Land...

TDL is the park that has the Haunted Mansion in Fantasyland by the carousel, Dumbo, Small World, etc. I don't think such strict adherance to theming is required. LoL!

• Resident of the Caldera

The Haunted Mansion is in Fantasyland in TDL because, based on the manner in which Japan's culture views spirits, that was felt to be the best place for it. It is not built in the middle of Fantasyland, but at the far edge, bordering on Westernland, so it functions in a transitional role.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Minion

^^ Nonetheless, an American manor house doesn't really meld very well with Cinderella Castle thematically. Original TDL was all about copy and paste, but almost everything since then has been great. Hopefully if in fact CarsLand is added, it would continue the latter trend.
    Down with the Hat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123