Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Splash Mountain

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Splash Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    In Florida we have gotten soaked on this ride, not because of the splash that our own log made, but earlier in the ride from the splash of another log. The splash leaps in the air, goes over a ridge, and can hit you as you are on a perfectly tame part of the ride right next to the big drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Shelemm: that splash which drenches you is not actually from the other log hitting water. It's a jet that Disney has purposefully put there to soak the crap out of you if you're unlucky enough to be there when the log drops down the big slide.
    That's why I don't ride Splash Mountain anymore. I got soaked one too many times with that water canon effect. I'm like a cat... I absolutely HATE getting wet, so I now avoid all water rides.

And I have noticed in lots of videos and photos from TDR that the Japanese guests dress pretty nicely when they go to the parks (kind of like how back in the 50s & 60s people would wear their Sunday best when going to Disneyland), so I yeah I can see why they wouldn't soak guests on the water rides in Tokyo because who wants to be dressed up nice and then get drenched?

I rode Tokyo Disneyland Splash Mountain in summer and didn't get wet at all

As an update to my own thread...

We rode it. And with the exception of my husband who got caught up in the excitement of the ride and remained sitting straight up and consequently got mildly splashed, the girls and I stayed mostly dry. I made the girls put of their hoods on their jackets and as soon as I saw the camera flash, I immediately put my arm around my youngest and made us both kind of duck. A few drops here and there, but our pants were dry and that had been one of my biggest concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
    As an update to my own thread...

We rode it.
    What did you think of the experience? I personally thought Tokyo Disneyland's Splash Mountain was the best of the three! I loved the level of detail (and the load area is stunning inside the mountain's massive cavern!)

I too was impressed with Tokyo's version of Splash Mountain. The overall experience seemed more lavish and well maintained. I also liked that we only got slightly sprayed with water and not wet or soaked.

Interesting food for thought: Tokyo Disneyland's Splash Mountain is only a few months newer than Magic Kingdoms - so one can't even say "well they improved on the WDW version." Nope - they were very much designed at the exact same time, but boy what a difference! (And don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Magic Kingdom's Splash Mountain. That's just a testament to HOW GOOD the Tokyo Disneyland version is!)

Turn your favorite Disney CM into your NEW favorite collectible souvenir!
    Fully customizable hair & eye color, gender and even your name on the nametag!

Contact Createamations for details, and don't forget to visit us on Facebook for more!

Quote Originally Posted by createamations View Post
    Interesting food for thought: Tokyo Disneyland's Splash Mountain is only a few months newer than Magic Kingdoms - so one can't even say "well they improved on the WDW version." Nope - they were very much designed at the exact same time, but boy what a difference! (And don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Magic Kingdom's Splash Mountain. That's just a testament to HOW GOOD the Tokyo Disneyland version is!)
    Yes Tokyo Disneyland park as a whole was in my opinion, much better than the Magic Kingdom in many levels. But in regards to Splash Mountain, I think I can say they DID improve on the Florida version, no matter the time frame between the two attractions. You can tell the budget was bigger and it seemed like they went for a "new land" feel for it, as opposed to building it in the west end of Frontierland. We took the kids to the Magic Kingdom last year, with the memory of Tokyo Disneyland still fresh in our minds, and I have to say sadly that Florida's Splash Mountain simply falls short in size, quality and show elements. We are hoping to go back to Japan again and visit Tokyo Disneyland during the 30th anniversary and Splash Mountain is probably one of our most anticipated rides to do at the park, in addition to Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotphks View Post
    Yes Tokyo Disneyland park as a whole was in my opinion, much better than the Magic Kingdom in many levels.
    I very much disagree with your opinion here- not that I am a big Magic Kingdom cheerleader (I MUCH prefer Disneyland or Disneyland Paris - in fact - it's not even close!) While I will absolutely grant you that many of the attractions are far superior in TDL, the park as a whole is my least favorite castle park. The thing about TDL is that it's a jumble. Things are just plopped down. It's clear that it was designed by people who didn't have a feeling for flow- but rather, "who know what they liked." In other words, "I want this ride from that park, that ride from this park, just make them fit." It really irked me that in many areas of the park, you could not tell where one land ended and the next began. Clear boundary lines absolutely did not exist. For example - Leaving Tomorrowland, headed towards Fantasyland - it seems like you've exited Tomorrowland already, yet Star Jets is still several hundred feet ahead of you. It's just a mish-mash of rides - granted - great rides - but not a solid story from chapter to chapter in that book.

I would, however, accept the argument that "Pooh's Hunny Hunt is there, so who the heck cares."

Contact Createamations for details, and don't forget to visit us on Facebook for more!

• Just another Disney fan..

The key here is that when judging on a whole, there are many many different things to compare. There are things such as layout, architecture, ambiance, attractions, entertainment, food choices, merchandise, maintenance, Cast Memembers, weather, value, etc......

For transitions between lands and park layout, I can give an edge to MK. But when I judge on a whole, I say Tokyo Disneyland is significantly better.

Judging on a whole for all five Magic Kingdom style parks(yes I have been to them all in person), I would say WDW's MK is closer to the bottom of the list than near or at the top.

The new Fantasyland at WDW MK is a great improvement, and I have complete confidence that many of the shortcomings of WDW will start to be addressed by George Kalogridis, so rankings might start to change.

However, there is no reasonable judging method IMO that would put TDL at the bottom of the list of Magic Kingdom parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger55 View Post
    The key here is that when judging on a whole, there are many many different things to compare. There are things such as layout, architecture, ambiance, attractions, entertainment, food choices, merchandise, maintenance, Cast Memembers, weather, value, etc......

For transitions between lands and park layout, I can give an edge to MK. But when I judge on a whole, I say Tokyo Disneyland is significantly better.

Judging on a whole for all five Magic Kingdom style parks(yes I have been to them all in person), I would say WDW's MK is closer to the bottom of the list than near or at the top.

The new Fantasyland at WDW MK is a great improvement, and I have complete confidence that many of the shortcomings of WDW will start to be addressed by George Kalogridis, so rankings might start to change.

However, there is no reasonable judging method IMO that would put TDL at the bottom of the list of Magic Kingdom parks.
    My comment was one of flow. In terms of parks - especially when speaking on freshness, Magic Kingdom is definitely my least favorite. The thing is, because of the issues of flow, Tokyo Disneyland almost doesn't even feel like a castle park - or, at least, like an official Disney castle park. There's just a weird feel to that place. There's no doubt that when comparing side by side aspects, Cinderella Castle is better at TDL, Splash Mountain is better at TDL, Big Thunder Mountain is better at TDL, Pooh's Hunny Hunt is OMG BETTER at TDL, Space Mountain is better at TDL. Point is, there are so many individual aspects that are so much better at TDL that given the choice, I would definitely pick a day there than MK if I can only have one. That does not, however, mean I like the park - again - because of the flow issues it has. It just drives me absolutely nuts from a design stand-point.

I agree that New Fantasyland is a step in the right direction for MK for sure- but it's a small step. Just the same, it's a welcome step and I'm happy to have it. The quality of that area is on par with Tokyo DisneySea, and that's no small compliment. The problem is, the quality is so good that it makes the rest of the Magic Kingdom look even more stale than it already looked by comparison. Here's hoping that over time, the entire park gets redone held to that standard.

I don't know much about George K. To be honest - my reaction when hearing that announcement was "I CAN HAZ MANSION HOLIDAY?" I'll never give up hope on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by createamations View Post
    What did you think of the experience? I personally thought Tokyo Disneyland's Splash Mountain was the best of the three! I loved the level of detail (and the load area is stunning inside the mountain's massive cavern!)
    Getting to ride this was such a special occasion for me for a couple of reasons. We'd had the opportunity to visit TDR in the past when we were stationed in Japan (husband is military). However, I'd either not gotten to ride it because I was pregnant or would only get to ride it by myself as we would have to do parent swap because neither of the girls would be tall enough to ride. Even after moving back to the States and being close enough to Anaheim, we never all were able to ride together. Well, coming back to Asia (this time Korea) and having our Christmas vacation center around going back to TDR, I was so happy to learn that TDL height requirement for this ride is 90 cm, which is a little less than 35.5 inches and my 3 year old is about 36.5 inches. So, once she measured up to the height requirement and the cast member put the bracelet on her indicating she was tall enough, the rest was just gravy. We all got to ride together!!! I bought the photo because it was such a thrill to be FINALLY riding it together as a family.

Of course, it is amazing! The queue, as you snake through this elaborate cavern, is a marvel. Our wait that day was about 40 mins, but I don't really recall thinking it was bad. I do remember thinking that it seemed like it was kept up better than when we last rode at Disneyland (Anaheim) and that was only back in May that we were there. But, I'll be honest. I'd started this little tradition back at DL of riding SM and then getting a Tigger Tail. And Tigger Tails are not to be found at TDL.

Quote Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
    Getting to ride this was such a special occasion for me for a couple of reasons. We'd had the opportunity to visit TDR in the past when we were stationed in Japan (husband is military). However, I'd either not gotten to ride it because I was pregnant or would only get to ride it by myself as we would have to do parent swap because neither of the girls would be tall enough to ride. Even after moving back to the States and being close enough to Anaheim, we never all were able to ride together. Well, coming back to Asia (this time Korea) and having our Christmas vacation center around going back to TDR, I was so happy to learn that TDL height requirement for this ride is 90 cm, which is a little less than 35.5 inches and my 3 year old is about 36.5 inches. So, once she measured up to the height requirement and the cast member put the bracelet on her indicating she was tall enough, the rest was just gravy. We all got to ride together!!! I bought the photo because it was such a thrill to be FINALLY riding it together as a family
    I love this! That really made me smile! I'm glad you got to ride it as a family. I was actually thinking at the beginning of your story "I wonder what the height requirement is out there" - and then you answered it for me before I could even ask! I'm surprised to hear that it's less than the Magic Kingdom ride (40") - but I'm very glad that because of that it worked out for you! And by the way, a 40 minute wait for that ride sounds fantastic. When I was out there, the highs were in the low 30s (F) and I never waited LESS than 120 minutes to ride it in the several times that I did

Just wanted to share -- the expression on my 3 year old's face cracks me up. I'll be honest, after we got off the ride, I asked her "Do you want to ride it again?" to which she answered "NO!" She'll warm up to it, though. Now I can't wait for her to be tall enough to ride Tower of Terror. My oldest, who simply refers to it as Scary Building, loves it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Best. Photo. Ever. She's so cute! She's clearly trying to look brave even though she has no interest in being there

Quote Originally Posted by Chuuster View Post
    It was stated in the DisneySea documentary that Japanese people tend to go to the parks dressed up instead of casual, so it would be disrespectful to drench the guests there.
    Last summer, TDL hosted an outdoor event 'dance competition' (featuring Goofy, Mickey, etc.) in front of the castle. We entered a lottery to get tickets. Throughout the show, water cannons repeatedly shot way, way up in the air, and an entire monsoon of water drowned everyone. We must have gotten hit about ten times with buckets and buckets of water. Some people were prepared, but not everyone, and we had no idea of what was going to happen. We got drenched as much as if we were pushed into a swimming pool. Several times. The force of the water hitting you from that height was sensational. We had a blast, totally unexpected, and we were screaming and giggling with delight.

TDL is not afraid of getting people wet. Thankfully, it was our last activity of the day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast