Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Splash Mountain

Splash Mountain

How wet do you get on Splash Mtn?

We would like to ride it as my oldest has only been tall enough to ride it in the last year. However, since it will be cooler, I really hope not to get soaked. On our last trip to Disneyland (in California) my daughter and I were put into a log with 5 or 6 really big guys -- you know, a bunch of college age guys out having a fun time at Disneyland, but they all looked big enough to play for the football team -- and because, I'm guessing, our log was weighed down more in the water, I swear we got soaked on every turn, drop, splash, etc. I believe I read somewhere that the Japanese ride is designed or at least the log is designed differently from their counterparts in the states, and one component of that is to keep you from getting really wet.

Tips? Advice? for staying somewhat dry when riding Splash Mtn?

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Splash Mountain

Compared to the versions in the States you won't get wet too wet. TDL can also control how wet you get on the ride. So if the weather is too cold. You'll get off completely dry.

•   
    • Banned User

Weight is definitely an issue, especially weight to the front.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Weight is definitely an issue, especially weight to the front.
    Thats a big factor....bigger people in back. :P
    For the love of Disney....

• Resident of the Caldera

At Splash Mountain in Tokyo, you get spritzed in the face with water--that's about it unless you're in the front row. They definitely allow more water to hit you in the warmer weather, and less in the colder weather (where you just get misted).

They have the ability to do this at the versions of the ride in the US, so they are willfully soaking you. Doesn't have to be that way, and if enough people complained about it, they would decrease the amount of water so you're not drenched from head to toe. That may be fine when it's 85 or 90 degrees, but there are plenty of times of the year in Anaheim when it's not that warm, and who wants to get completely drenched when it's in the 60s?
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

•   
    • Banned User

Thank you all. This discussion has reminded me to stick some zip lock bags in my pocket before going on Splash Mtn tomorrow. It beats having a soaked wallet and phone.

...and yes, that's a good point. If they can dial it down, why not? I don't need that experience in winter.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Thank you all. This discussion has reminded me to stick some zip lock bags in my pocket before going on Splash Mtn tomorrow. It beats having a soaked wallet and phone.
    Wearing a poncho while riding would help keep you dry too.

• ooooooOO!

Requesting the back should keep you dry enough, but as you said, rides in Tokyo Disney don't splash there guests as much as they do in the states. It was stated in the DisneySea documentary that Japanese people tend to go to the parks dressed up instead of casual, so it would be disrespectful to drench the guests there.
    .:: ::.

One other question about Splash Mtn -- the height requirement is 90cm and over 3 years of age. Well, my 3 year old is 92 cm. I'm just curious as to why they say 3 and under cannot ride if she meets the height requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by LizCatMom View Post
    One other question about Splash Mtn -- the height requirement is 90cm and over 3 years of age. Well, my 3 year old is 92 cm. I'm just curious as to why they say 3 and under cannot ride if she meets the height requirement.
    Good question. I had the same predicament with my daughter but she was 3 and was allowed to ride. I think the reason for the age restriction, versus height, might be because Tokyo Disneyland's Splash Mountain is the only version of the ride that actually features an individual restraining lap bar, so I would guess the child has to be big enough to sit upright and be alone in his/her seat with lap bar down.
    Now, regardless of restrictions, this is by far the best version of Splash Mountain anywhere. Huge, elaborate waiting area, beautiful indoor sets, very colorful and bright. We rode three times and enjoyed it. Never got more than just a sprinkle of water on our faces, if I recall it happened at the bottom of the big drop where a mist machine is on. I don't recall seeing anyone wearing ponchos during the ride and I don't believe they are necesary.

The problem at California's SM is not the "splash" per se, but the water that flows over the sides of the log after each drop. Since the logs are free-floating (not on rails), at the end of each drop there there is depth allowed in the trough for the log to sink so that it does not hit bottom. The more weight you have in the log, the deeper the log will sink in these wells and the more water will run over the side.

On the main drop I think the problem is less about the depth than it is the water forced forward by the mass of the log + riders.

I don't think Tokyo or Florida have these problems due to their log design. In order for Disney to counteract the problem in California they need to lower the level of water in the trough, which I believe they do, but can only go so far before the the logs start to bottom out after the drops.

I have had dryer experiences by sitting in the back of the log, as noted by others, but also by trying to make sure that I'm sitting behind lighter-weight passengers. Best option is to find a group of 3 or 4 young kids riding without parents and follow them into the line.

Oh, and agreed that Tokyo's SM is the best. By far the most elaborate setting, especially for the queue.

In Florida we have gotten soaked on this ride, not because of the splash that our own log made, but earlier in the ride from the splash of another log. The splash leaps in the air, goes over a ridge, and can hit you as you are on a perfectly tame part of the ride right next to the big drop.

Shelemm: that splash which drenches you is not actually from the other log hitting water. It's a jet that Disney has purposefully put there to soak the crap out of you if you're unlucky enough to be there when the log drops down the big slide.

Kind of like the geyser in Grizzly River Run: you can through most of the ride without getting soaked, but just as you think you're safe and are heading for the unload, that damn geyser goes off and soaks everyone in the boat. I hate that.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    In Florida we have gotten soaked on this ride, not because of the splash that our own log made, but earlier in the ride from the splash of another log. The splash leaps in the air, goes over a ridge, and can hit you as you are on a perfectly tame part of the ride right next to the big drop.
    Be happy that its one of the very few effects at particular Splash Mountain that still works.

Splash Mountain in Orlando is closed for a long rehab. I assume many of the problems will be addressed during this time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast