Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Certified in everything

Question TDR Visit Late March Advice

I am taking my first trip ever to the TDR and will be at the parks March 27-29. From what I have gathered, this may be one of the busiest time of the year to travel there (unfortunately other dates are out of the question and so we are just going to have to brave the crowds.

My question comes down to what I can expect in terms of crowds. I'm an AP at the DLR and so I was looking to get a comparison of crowds to expect from some who also frequents and can relate crowds to the DLR. Everything I have read seems to say that it can get ridiculous over there and so I just want to be prepared. I only started this new thread because I am looking for some more specifics in terms of crowds.

So in terms of a comparison to the Anaheim parks, should I expect New Years Eve type crowds those days, or maybe just crowds more similar to the general busy summer day? Are all Fastpasses really gone by noon there (as I have heard)? I know to expect major crowds at Monster's Inc/Pooh etc, but will all lines be 45min+ waits, or like DLR are there attractions you can count on to have waits under 30min consistently?

No need to repeat what has been said in other threads on this topic, I am just looking for some elaborated specifics so that I can get into the nitty gritty of crowd planning. Any help and advice on what to expect for crowds is appreciated! Thanks so much!
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Resident of the Caldera

Re: TDR Visit Late March Advice

If it's spring break for Japanese school kids, then you're looking at Disneyland New Year's Eve level crowds--two to three hour waits for every attraction by noon. Be at the gates 45 to 60 minutes before opening time and know exactly what you're going to do. FastPass return times are NOT enforced in Tokyo, so plan accordingly. Also, it will be quite chilly so dress warmly and be prepared to peel if necessary.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Refurbished Animatronic

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    FastPass return times are NOT enforced in Tokyo, so plan accordingly.

Maybe things have changed, but both times we visited , FastPass return times were *strictly enforced*. Which took some getting used to. Overall, I think crowded days at TDR are more tolerable than at Disneyland. The crowds at TDR are much more respectful and well behaved than what you would typically experience at DLR. The Tokyo parks were designed to handle very large crowds, and never really 'feel' as crowded (except for in the shops!) as the U.S. parks. Even if crowds are insane, I'm sure you'll still have a great time, as the parks are jaw-droppingly awesome! P.S. Get your shopping done early! If you see something you think you want to purchase just buy it right away instead of trying to go back later, they do actually *sell out* of merchandise there, and the shops are insanely busy in the evening. (That was the #1 mistake we made)

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll be braving some big crowds.

Does anyone know if these (March 27-29) are the dates of the Japanese Spring Break? If so, can I look forward to their Easter decorations/celebrations?

And also, everything I've heard indicates that it can get ridiculously crowded, but based on these responses I'm not totally feeling that. Is it really THAT different than the stateside parks in terms of crowds?
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Just another Disney fan..

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    Does anyone know if these (March 27-29) are the dates of the Japanese Spring Break? If so, can I look forward to their Easter decorations/celebrations?

And also, everything I've heard indicates that it can get ridiculously crowded, but based on these responses I'm not totally feeling that. Is it really THAT different than the stateside parks in terms of crowds?
    Yes, Japan schools will be on spring break during your visit.

Last year was the end of the Easter celebration at TDL. This year TDL will be celbrating their 30th anniversary which starts April 15. TDS will start Mickey & Duffy's Spring Voyage on March 18.
    Tokyo Disney Resort Event Calendar | Tokyo Disney Resort

It will be very crowded on the days you are asking about. To compare it to DL crowds, it won't be New Year's Eve crowded, but likely to be Forth of July crowded. Expect huge wait times for all popular attractions. Also expect Guests to be waiting several hours ahead of time for the prime parade route spots.

If I had a choice, I would choose not to go during spring break. If you have no choice, then I would make sure I lined up two hours ahead of park opening each day. Be prepared to run when the gates open to get your first FastPass and get in a standby lines as soon as you can. Know what are your top priority attractions. You probably aren't going to get to go on that many attractions each day unless you are willing to wait in standby lines greater than 2 hours.

Roger55- I don't mean to get this thread off topic but something you said caught my eye. No more Easter celebrations at all or just this year in regards to the 30th anniversary? I am planning a Japan trip to visit my brother next year and was either going to go in May to see Disney for Easter or October to see it all decked out for Halloween. Will the 30th celebration carry over all the way to May 2014? Just seeing if you know since you are a wealth of information. And yes I am planning a trip that revolves around seeing decorations at a theme park. XD Well and merchandise too.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchikiss View Post
    No more Easter celebrations at all or just this year in regards to the 30th anniversary? I am planning a Japan trip to visit my brother next year and was either going to go in May to see Disney for Easter or October to see it all decked out for Halloween. Will the 30th celebration carry over all the way to May 2014? Just seeing if you know since you are a wealth of information.
    The 30th Anniversary goes through March 20,2014. There has been no announcement what will be offered for spring 2014.

If I were to speculate, there will be a brand new spring offering but not necessarily an Easter celebration. Easter in Japan is for the most part a secular activity.

This has all been incredibly helpful, thank you all for your help.

I've had one other thing pop up. I've heard they do a magic morning type thing for hotel guests... where could I find the dates of those and if they are available the day I will be there? I've searched their website and am having trouble finding any information. Thanks!
    Disneyland Wooooh!

Early entry for Tokyo Disneyland is every morning, 15 minutes ahead of park opening, and it's only for guests of the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and the Disney Ambassador Hotel. Guests at the Miracosta Hotel get let into DisneySEA early, but kept at the edge of the harbor until opening moment, when the rope drops and everyone runs like crazy to Toy Story Mania.

I have been to the Tokyo Disney Resort once or twice a year for the past decade. Never once has any CM enforced the return time on a FastPass. Never ever.

And, yes, it really is THAT crowded. While the walkways may not seem as crowded as Disneyland simply because Tokyo Disneyland is much larger, the lines for the rides will all be very long. Take Roger 55's advice: get there early and run like hell. Eat lunch early (10:30 or 11 am) and dinner early (4 pm) and you'll avoid long lines as well.

Wow! Scary to read. . I tend to avoid the U.S. parks at busy times, but know there isn't really a slow time at Tokyo. On a related note to this thread, how bad is August? U.S. Fourth of July levels? I'm thinking of going around August 12th to celebrate my 40th birthday.
    Thanks!

Brer Dan

I'll be there April 2-4 of this year. Is that still spring break for Japanese schools? We tried for Tues- Thurs since the middle of the week is supposed to be less crowded. Also, can you bring in your own food and water?

They do check bags before you enter, and you are supposedly not allowed to bring in food and water, however I see tons of families sitting and waiting for the parade eating food they've brought from home.

August is HUGELY busy since it is school break. The parks are very crowded and it's hot as hell and very humid. I would avoid August at all possible cost.

There are quiet periods: April, after the kids go back to school from spring break, but BEFORE Golden Week, is quiet and the weather is nice (if a little cool).

Quote Originally Posted by ratoncitaloca View Post
    I'll be there April 2-4 of this year. Is that still spring break for Japanese schools? We tried for Tues- Thurs since the middle of the week is supposed to be less crowded. Also, can you bring in your own food and water?
    The time you will be there is spring break. It will be crazy busy no matter if it is the weekday or weekend.

There is no problem bringing in food or water as long as it fits easily in a tote bag. I've never seen anyone try to bring in a picinic basket's worth of food.

Not sure if your schedule is flexible, but if at all possible I would avoid TDR that week. The following week will be slower because spring break will be over and the 30th anniversary celebration doesn't start until the 15th.

I've been twice in August. it is VERY hot, but we survived with huge smiles on our faces. No way would I let the weather deter me. Heat is more a problem than humidity. To choose the best dates, take a look at the Crowd Calendar. A '40' day is busy but highly manageable with FP. We did not have to wait on a single line.
    Last edited by shelemm; 02-20-2013 at 04:57 PM.

I don't mind the heat and humidity so much as the crowds. I know it is ALWAYS busy at TDR, but the less the better for me. I was thinking of August as that is my birthday, but now am thinking of other spots.

Quick question: where does one find the Crowd Calendar?

Sorry if I missed it in a sticky or such....

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shelemm View Post
    I've been twice in August. it is VERY hot, but we survived with huge smiles on our faces. No way would I let the weather deter me. Heat is more a problem than humidity. To choose the best dates, take a look at the Crowd Calendar. A '40' day is busy but highly manageable with FP. We did not have to wait on a single line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast